Does type 2 turn into type 1?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

disgirl

disgirl

• 500 plus
  • 136 posts
Hello! My father was dx'd with type 2 diabetes in his early 40s. started out on met but with time started insulin. He's now 58 and not overweight...6'4 tall and about 199lbs but still needs insulin and meds to control his D. He has a stellar diet and walks daily (living in Boston helps)! He can't lose any more weight and he already is doing everything else right so is he now a type 1 diabetic since he needs insulin and probably can't come off it?

His sister has been a type 2 for 20 more years than him takes met and insulin and is overweight. Her doc (at joslin in boston) says if she lost weight she can come off insulin. So, to me she is a type 2 still even thought she's had it for so long...40 years now. She has no complications but my father has neuropathy in his feet. He's also suffered from a few small strokes. He is a smoker though....

So my question is...can type 2 turn into type 1? Since diabetes is different in everyone is this an eventuality for some of us? Also, since my father and Aunt are siblings why is the disease so different in them?

andersgeorgsson

andersgeorgsson

• 500 plus
  • 320 posts
I was/is Type-2 for over a dozen years - and now my pancreas just isn't producing enough insulin. Type 2 simply means that you are insulin resistant,
I am now an "Insulin depleted Type-2" or "Insulin dependant Type-2".. So I take insulin AND metformin. There are genetic components that can affect
insulin production - but then so can medications.. According to my endo - I am slowly loosing insulin BETA cells (I believe they are called) - but the loss
was accelerated by use of medications that is supposed to stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin, in my case - it killed about 40% of my insulin
producing cells.

Both my grandfather and father were diabetic, so I figured my diabetes would change at some point. Now I am using an insulin pump, and things are
so much easier (both on a personal and social level) - I am still tweaking the parameters for the pump (does it ever end... anyone?) - but I've stayed
between 120 and 90 except for a serious hypo (was excersising/forgot to adjust basal).

I wish both you and your father the best...
-------------------------
dx Type 2 in 1998

Lantus once a day before breakfast,
Novolog with every meal per bolus calculation.

A1C 2/ 9/11:10.0
A1C 4/23/11: 6.8 ! (home)
A1C 5/14/11: 6.6
A1C 6/29/11: 6.3 (home)
A1C 10/15/11: 6.1!
IAB Neg, GAD Low - C-Peptide: 0.9

Received Minimed Revel 723 BLACK 6/10/2011, Pumping Humalog since 6/29/2011.

mcmxi

mcmxi

• 500 plus
  • 136 posts

so is he now a type 1 diabetic since he needs insulin and probably can't come off it

Taking insulin does not necessarily make a person Type 1. A type 1 is a person whose body does not make insulin.

can type 2 turn into type 1?

If a type 1 is defined as someone whose body doesn't produce insulin, medically, it's possible that a person, any person can stop producing insulin, though I understand it's rare that type 2s become type 1. I did talk to a type 1.5, who said that eventually, she will stop making insulin and will be a fully blown type 1.

Gigem99

Gigem99

• 500 plus
  • 357 posts

A type 1 is a person whose body does not make insulin. ....

Actually, type 1 is an autoimmune disease where the immune system thinks that the beta cells in the Islets of Langerhans are a bad thing, and destroys them, usually rather quickly. In type 2, they can suffer from pancreatic exhaustion, and not make insulin, but that does not make them type 1.

It really doesn't matter in any case. If you don't make insulin, you need to have exogenous insulin. I love my pump. It is the coolest thing I've ever owned. I didn't even realize what a pain it was taking all those shots all those years until I quit.
Tom

dx'd 1985 at age 31
Pumping with MM 522 since 8/2007
CGMS since 12/2007
12/2006 A1c - 9.8
6/2008 A1c - 6.1

Richard157

Richard157

• 500 plus
  • 1,407 posts
I am type 1 for 65 years, but was diagnosed with IR (insulin resistance) in 1998. I have taken Metformin along with my insulin for 12 years. Some people think I am T2 now that I have IR, but I am still T1, with a T2 characteristic. So a T1 can progress towards T2 by developing IR, and a T2 can progress towards T1 by producing much less of their own insulin and becoming insulin dependent. Both of these scenarios are covered under the heading "double diabetes". You can Google that term and find more detailed info.
Type 1 for 68 years, A1c = 6.1, pump with MM 523 Revel, I have good health.

You never know how Strong you are until being strong is the ONLY choice you have!

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts
I really don't think type 2's can become type 1's. Patients with Type 1 diabetes depend on external insulin for their survival because the hormome is no longer produced internally. Patients with Type 2 are insulin resistant, or have relatively low insulin production or both. Certain patients with type 2 diabetes may require insulin. Two different scenarios .....I think their are a lot of Type 2's who should go on insulin sooner than later to protect what insulin productions they have.....:)
:)Diagnosed June 1970
Injecting Insulin since June 6, 1970
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
I am not young enough to know everything
Modcarb Diet
I eat all the food groups.

:tee:

Scratch

Scratch

• 500 plus
  • 2,088 posts
As best as is presently understood, type 1 occurs when an autoimmune attack takes place and the immune system begins killing the insulin producing beta cells in the pancreas. Because of the rapidity of the autoimmune attack, many type 1s are diagnosed when young, but it is not impossible for adults to have finally encountered the necessary environmental triggers that in combination with genetic susceptibility produces the autoimmune attack.

Type 1.5 appears to be what might be a somewhat milder form of type 1. Milder in that the autoimmune attack takes longer, although eventually a 1.5 can end up as beta cell depleted as a type 1.

Type 2 appears to be the development of insulin resistance and sometimes metabolic syndrome. The initial onset of elevated blood sugars is not from insulin depletion but insulin resistance. In time, prolonged insulin resistance and constant recruitment of beta cells for insulin production results in beta cell death and insulin depletion. In those cases, a type 2 may need to start taking insulin.

It is not impossible for a type 2 to eventually develop an autoimmune attack and it is not impossible for a type 1 to develop type 2 characteristics as well.
MDI, Lantus and Novolog
A1c 2/12 -- 5.9%

gphx

gphx

• 500 plus
  • 576 posts
As far as I know I'm insulin resistant T2. Turns out I have an unspecifically diagnosed AI disorder of the endocrine system that's eating my tear glands, salivary glands, pancreas, and possibly causing gastric and other issues too. Sjogrens is one disease that does this but thus far I'm seronegative. At the moment diet and exercise have gotten ahead of my beta cell loss. What the future brings is unknown. AI is one of many causes of T2 diabetes as recent research has shown. With T2 being AI in some cases and with progressive beta cell loss I don't know that 'turning T1' is an appropriate term, it is what it is. With some T2 being shown to be AI in origin the terms T1 and T2 may need to be redefined. Or maybe they're 1.5. The more we know the less we know.

aggie168

aggie168

• 500 plus
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • I am a:Type 1
Hello disgirl, you got many great answers already. I say your dad is an insulin dependent T2 like I am. A true T1 does not produce insulin pretty much from the beginning and quickly due to an autoimmune problem. They dependent on injection or a pump to survive. Perhaps you can also ask your dad's doctor to do a c-peptide test next time and see how much insulin your dad is still producing. :)

===============================================
DX 02/2002, Minimed 530G(751) w/CGMS on Novolog
Aspirin 81mg + Lipitor 10mg + Losartan 50mg

05/2014 A1C 5.8 Chol=154 Trig=96 HDL=48 LDL=87

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,945 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Although the two types have the same symptoms they are different diseases. For a diabetic to be a Type 1, they need to test positive on a GAD65 Antibody Test. As said above those antibodies will kill off all remaining beta cells. Type 2's will test negative on this test. A lot of us are type 2 and fairly thin. Our endocrine system is still compromised but the reasons for our poor bg control are many. Sometimes we have Insulin Resistance, sometimes insulin insufficiency, sometimes bad signaling between liver and pancreas. Usually the longer we have D, especially if it is not controlled well we may lose beta cells due to many things. So eventually we have to use insulin, also. But we are still Type 2's. Many doctors tell their patients that losing weight will cure their D. That may work for a few but not everyone. I am very thin and still very much diabetic.
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

RobbieB

RobbieB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Sometimes you need to look beyond the basics of a low carb diet and take into account whether or not you have specific food allergies or food intolerances that are contributing to the insulin resistance. Sometimes it can do this just by causing more low grade inflammation in the body, which acts similarly to if you had an infection or something else that pushes up the blood sugar. There are lots of books out there on how to figure out which foods might be a problem for you, but it often is more than one food and often involves common food sources in the diet, like wheat, yeast, eggs, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, etc. Everyone is unique, though, so this probably only applies to some people. Worth looking into if you get stuck with your other treatments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users