Low white count and potassium

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Stuboy

Stuboy

• 500 plus
  • 1,956 posts
I had a blood test a few weeks ago to check for Gluten Intolerance as I sometimes feel crampy and gassy after some foods, I initially thought I might be lactose intolerance (because of the gas) but the doctor quickly dismissed that theory and said it was more likely to be a gluten intolerance.

I'm skeptical about being ceoliac because my girlfriends sister was recently diagnosed as ceoliac and her symptoms were far worse than my own and included sickness and dioriah , which i don't have. Infact i notice the cramps most after hot milk, like hot chocolate or hot milk in cereal. I haven't been able to narrow the gas down to anything in particular though.

Anyway, i had the tests and they said i had to go back to repeat them, then i went in today to have that done, she said that my white count was low and so was potassium, which was why they wanted to repeat the tests.

I don't know what it really means, but i suppose the test for gluten intolerance was normal, nothing has been feed back to me about that :s:

Just wondering if low white count and low potassium can be a side effect of diabetes?

Chars!
Stu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Type 1 Since 24.07.2006
Pumping NovoRapid with Animas 2020MDI- Levemir & NovoRapidMDI - Lantus & NovoRapidMixtard 30

Posted Image Ya gots to work with what ya gots to work with!

Cormac_Doyle

Cormac_Doyle

• 500 plus
  • 1,368 posts
Low Potassium (Hypokalaemia)
- A special case of potassium loss occurs with diabetic ketoacidosis. In addition to urinary losses from polyuria and volume contraction, there is also obligate loss of potassium from kidney tubules as a cationic partner to the negatively charged ketone, β-hydroxybutyrate.
- Hypomagnesemia can cause hypokalemia. Magnesium is required for adequate processing of potassium. This may become evident when hypokalemia persists despite potassium supplementation. Other electrolyte abnormalities may also be present. (low magnesium levels are rarely tested for directly ... low magnesium levels can cause/exacerbate Insulin resistance)
- Disease states that lead to abnormally high aldosterone levels can cause hypertension and excessive urinary losses of potassium. These include renal artery stenosis and tumors (generally non-malignant) of the adrenal glands, e.g., Conn's syndrome (primary hyperaldosteronism). Cushing's syndrome can also lead to hypokalaemia due to excess cortisol binding the Na+/K+ pump and acting like aldosterone. Hypertension and hypokalemia can also be seen with a deficiency of the 11-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 enzyme which allows cortisols to stimulate aldosterone receptors. This deficiency—known as apparent mineralocorticoid excess syndrome -- can either be congenital or caused by consumption of glycyrrhizin, which is contained in extract of licorice, sometimes found in herbal supplements, candies and chewing tobacco.

Low White Cell counts:
- Leukopenia (also known as leukocytopenia, or leucopenia, from Greek λευκό-white and πενία-deficiency) is a decrease in the number of white blood cells (leukocytes) found in the blood, which places individuals at increased risk of infection.
- Causes of low white blood cell count include: Influenza, systemic lupus erythematosus, Hodgkin's lymphoma, some types of cancer, typhoid, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue, Rickettsial infections, enlargement of the spleen, folate deficiencies, psittacosis and sepsis. Many other causes exist, such as a deficiency in certain minerals such as copper and zinc.

- Folate deficiency or influenza are probably what you want to hope for here. Folate can be supplemented (B-Complex or Folate supplements); the flu is short term. Note that B-Complex deficiencies can lead to increased insulin resistance (among other things; B vitamins are also important in preserving neural function ...)

Thus ... Low White Cell Count & Low Potassium are both *potential* pointers to vitamin/mineral deficiencies that can increase insulin resistance (and thus are often seen in conjunction with diabetes, especially T2 diabetes).

However, the combination of low potassium and low white cell counts mi9ght also point to more serious issues such as on of a number of cancers ... hense the extra tests!

Don't get too stressed just yet ... but make sure you do all the tests suggested, and talk to the doctor about what might be causing these symptoms!
HbA1c
2007/2008 - Sept 07: 10.9; Feb 08: 8.5; Sept 08: 7.3;
2009 - Feb: 7.5; Apr: 6.4; Aug: 6.1;
2010 - Jan: 7.0; Mar: 6.4; Jun: 6.1; Oct: 5.9;
2011 - Jan: 6.4; Apr: 6.5; Aug: 6.3; Nov: 6.2;
2012 - Mar: 6.7; May: 6.3; June: 6.2; Sep: 5.4; Dec: 6.0
2013 - Mar: 6.1; May: 6.5; July: 6.3; Nov: 6.1

Meds - Glucophage: 2000mg; Omega 3: 4000mg; Crestor: 20mg; Victoza: 1.8mg; Humulin: 150-250 iu ( originally 1800-2400 iu daily)

Started Pump: 10th April 2011 - Minimed Paradigm Veo

Stuboy

Stuboy

• 500 plus
  • 1,956 posts
oh god.... all this because i was farting a lot... now i could potentially have cancer! Although I wont stress, ill wait and see what todays tests read. Have to wait a week before i can phone up for the results. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the info :D
Stu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Type 1 Since 24.07.2006
Pumping NovoRapid with Animas 2020MDI- Levemir & NovoRapidMDI - Lantus & NovoRapidMixtard 30

mazea

mazea

• 500 plus
  • 659 posts
I had a very low white blood count when I was first diagnosed with diabetes. It was below the reccommended level. My blood sugars had probably been high for a long while (I didn't get the quick onset). It took about 5 months for them to go up again. They returned to normal then.
Borderline blood fasting test in 2006
HBA1c 15 in May 2008
HBA1c 5.6 in October 2008
HBA1c 4.8 in May 2009
HBA1c 5.4 in September 2009
HBAC1 7.9 in June 2010
Type 1.5 since May 2008

Stuboy

Stuboy

• 500 plus
  • 1,956 posts
Well my re-test for WBC came back also low and they've asked me to repeat again in three weeks.

I phoned them up again today to find out what the actual numbers were, and the last two tests were both 3.6, so that's July and June, and she said also that Octobers reading was 4.6, so it looks like i've been on the low side for a long time, and now have slipped under the lower end of the scale. (4 - 11 being normal) but I guess being closer to the middle or higher end of that range is better when it comes to white blood cells?

I've got an appointment to see my Dr this Friday so talk about it (my doing, not her's) to try and find out what the cause might be, and how to boost it again so i can maybe stop getting all these colds that I keep getting lately.

I got some multi-vitamins & minerals today, a "Complete" one which should give me everything i need apparently, I'm hoping it might help boost my immune system a little? I dont know what else to do until i can speak to my Dr about it. I'm hoping that it's not the start of anything more serious like a bone marrow disorder or something, because plainly, that would suck.
Stu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Type 1 Since 24.07.2006

sweetblood

sweetblood

• 500 plus
  • 524 posts
Hope it all works out and its nothing serious...hang in there.

You are in my thoughts...
type 2 diabetes
stage 1 renal disease w HTN
asthma
B 12 def
biotin def

a1c 1/27/11: 5.5 :D--holding steady...

A1c 12/3/13: 5.7

Insulin AB: negative
GAD 65: negative

just a swingin' :eek:

Born fighting, forever a fighter!