- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

PINK

PINK

• 500 plus
  • 776 posts
B]What's Cookin' at your house today?[/B]

Today I made low carb Chili with nopales (cactus), and some sauteed portabellos in tons of fresh garlic, butter, olive oil, salt and pepper till just barely tender. Then I have a pile of fresh low carb fruit that I am not sure what to do with, Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries (tarts? I don't know) and am planning to make low carb Chocolate Mousse later tonight.

Cactus is unbelievably good in Carne Asada. This recipe is designed to be very fast to make, rather than an all day thing. Carne Asada y Nopales Tacos

Here are several more recipes for Nopales: Nopales, Prickly Pear Cactus Pads Recipes - DesertUSA

Please feel free to share ideas, recipes, and links here. You can also list some ingredients you have but are not sure what to cook with them and we can all come in and offer a few suggestions.

The only thing I ask is to please limit the recipes to low-carb ones so we don't have anyone passing out from sugar shock.
:cool:

Pink

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!

Lantus 19 U PM started 5/25/11 and now Novolog. 1:13~ Low. Carb. Life Choice is -under 100g- and I exercise every day.
Dxed 2009 A1c=6.5/~Symptoms started at a very young age/ 8/10 C-peptide 1.1, fasting bg that day was 117, goodchol. is up, bad is down.
A1C --6.7 July 2010....A1C~~ 6.5 Mar 25 2011, May 22 6.8 (time for 'Slin) My galloping heart slows me down.
http://pix.ie/inthepink/album/410126

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,593 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Nothing was cooking at my house last evening. We had KFC for dinner. Hubs had a extra crispy breast and I had the grilled breast with green beans and mashed potatoes and gravy (no biscuit) (27 carbs total, so not bad for a quickie meal). I'm not a KFC fan, but it was quick and close by.

If someone opted not to have the potatoes and eat double green beans, it's only a 14 carb meal....but I was in the mood for them and they were great!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

rwallen

rwallen

• 500 plus
  • 364 posts
What???? Cactus??? The chili sounds good but cactus?? :)
Rick, T2
DX: Dec. 30th, 2010

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
Boiling peanuts here.

Husband, Type 2 = 22 units Lantus in the AM

Mich

Mich

• 500 plus
  • 2,242 posts
And boiling 18 eggs here. I make egg salad for breakfasts (no bread.)

Moonpie

Moonpie

• 500 plus
  • 3,895 posts
Thanks for the cactus tip, I have a jar of them in the fridge & i didn't know what to do with them :confused:
For lunch I' m having a seafood ( shrimp salad ) it is one of those pre made ones so I will add more lettuce & tomatoes & some turkey breast to make it enough to feed both of us.
Tonight I have some left over bbq chicken legs, so I think I will shred them & add some garlic mayo (regular mayo with garlic paste, added easy to do ) to make a chicken salad. I have leftover butternut squash from last night, & I will also cook up some frozen spinach. I have some fresh serrano peppers to use up too, so they will get thrown in something :)
I love egg salad for breakfast, with some cucumber & lettuce :)
09/15/2009 DX
A1C Sept 2009 7.7 . March 2012 5.2
A1C Nov 2009 6.4 July 2012 5.4
A1C 01/15/2010 5.6 12/12 5.4
A1c May 2010 5.6
A1c July ( 10 weeks no meds) 5.9
A1c Dec 2010 5.6 no meds since May :)
A1c March 2011 5.7
A1C Aug 2011 5.5
A1C Dec 2011 5.2
came off Metformin 500mg on 05/11/2010 to control with diet & exercise.
Previously 50 to 100 carbs now I try to limit it to under 50 per day.

Chaseg08

Chaseg08

• 500 plus
  • 494 posts
Tonight I will be grilling some boneless, skinless chicken thighs that I have marinating in yellow curry powder, white wine and olive oil. Now, I'm usually against jared sauces but the Tikka Masala sauce from whole foods is absolutely amazing. I like it on fresh cauliflower from our famer's market with some added garlic. Along with the cauliflower the wife and kids will enjoy some Naan and saffron rice but I'll steer clear of both.
-Chase

DX'd T1 Nov 2010
Novalog
Medtronic Minimed Paradigm
http://www.facebook....chase.gillespie

PINK

PINK

• 500 plus
  • 776 posts
If I reply to every post you are all going to get sick of me so I won't. lol

Your ideas are inspiring! Who would have believed cactus in chili? But cactus has a lovely zing to it, like a green bean on steroids. : )
Ripped from the web:
'Fossil evidence suggests that cacti have been part of the human diet for more than 9,000 years. The first cacti were introduced to Europeans by Christopher Columbus in the mid-15th century. In the 17th century, plant study became a fascination and interest in cacti dramatically peaked. The cactus got its name from Carolus Linnaeus, a botanist who created a universal system of plant names in Latin and Greek. His first choice for the prickly plant was the Greek word “kaktos,” meaning thistle. The English translation of that word is “cactus.” There are over 2,500 species of cactus recognized today. Although people have taken cactus seeds all over the world, these exotic plants originated in the Americas.'
You have to slide a knife across it to get any small spines, then quickly trim edges, and rinse it. Then you can use it in so many things. YouTube - ‪Nopal Preparation‬‏

Thanks everybody and keep those ideas coming please.
Tonight is easy for me: Leftover chili for my son with a salad (homemade Italian) and the Chocolate Mousse.

I got some eggplant at the Farmer's Market and am going to do that eggplant recipe that was posted recently. I also have a great Putanesca sauce from Trader Joes, some of the farmers market zingy stuffed olives, different cheeses, canned artichoke hearts and more mushrooms. Sounds like a casserole to me.

Pink

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!

Lantus 19 U PM started 5/25/11 and now Novolog. 1:13~ Low. Carb. Life Choice is -under 100g- and I exercise every day.
Dxed 2009 A1c=6.5/~Symptoms started at a very young age/ 8/10 C-peptide 1.1, fasting bg that day was 117, goodchol. is up, bad is down.
A1C --6.7 July 2010....A1C~~ 6.5 Mar 25 2011, May 22 6.8 (time for 'Slin) My galloping heart slows me down.
http://pix.ie/inthepink/album/410126

Moonpie

Moonpie

• 500 plus
  • 3,895 posts
baked tilapia ( with lemon, olive oil & oregano & some steamed ( or roast) veg. Desert will be extra sharp cheddar.
09/15/2009 DX
A1C Sept 2009 7.7 . March 2012 5.2
A1C Nov 2009 6.4 July 2012 5.4
A1C 01/15/2010 5.6 12/12 5.4
A1c May 2010 5.6
A1c July ( 10 weeks no meds) 5.9
A1c Dec 2010 5.6 no meds since May :)
A1c March 2011 5.7
A1C Aug 2011 5.5
A1C Dec 2011 5.2
came off Metformin 500mg on 05/11/2010 to control with diet & exercise.
Previously 50 to 100 carbs now I try to limit it to under 50 per day.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,593 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
It's a rainy day here, so i'm planning to do a white chicken chili for dinner. I find I tolerate it well using the white kidney beans/cannelleni (?sp)beans, using more chicken than beans ;).

I'll just turn up the air conditioning and pretend it's not hot and humid.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

k_dub

k_dub

• 500 plus
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationWyoming
  • I am a:Type 1
I'm going to grill tri-tip tonight. Not sure what I'll do for veggie. Depends on what I get tonight from the CSA.
Kelly

Current A1C: 6.0%
Diagnosed with LADA June 2008
Animas One Touch Ping March 2009
Dexcom Seven March 2010 --> Dexcom G4 November 2012
Apidra

Mom to Nicholas born 1/4/14. Ask me about diabetes and pregnancy!
First trimester A1c: 5.7%
Second trimester A1c: 6.1%
Late second trimester A1c (25 weeks): 5.7%
Third trimester A1c (35 weeks): 6.0%

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about, but you refuse to investigate" Dr. Wayne Dyer

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,593 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
I have never seen tri-tip in our stores...is there another name that it goes by?

You should roast some cubed or wedged sweet potatoes with a little olive oil, cumin, sea salt and pepper...I love it with steak!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.

Chaseg08

Chaseg08

• 500 plus
  • 494 posts

I have never seen tri-tip in our stores...is there another name that it goes by?

You should roast some cubed or wedged sweet potatoes with a little olive oil, cumin, sea salt and pepper...I love it with steak!

I have military friends on the east coast and they call it a newport steak. It's from the bottom of the sirloin and it's tipically a tough piece of meat. Cooked properly and cut perpendicular to the grain and it becomes very delicious and tender. I've seen them as small as two lbs. and as big as 7 lbs. I prefer a 3 or 4 pounder. I use a bbq rub and some oil, let it sit for 24 hrs or more then throw it on a hot hot grill until the outside is well chared and carmelized then I wrap it in foil and cook till about 125 degrees. Remove it from the heat and let it sit for 20 minutes inside the foil bag and then slice it thin. Mmmmmmm.
-Chase

DX'd T1 Nov 2010
Novalog

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,593 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
I'll have to look for Newport steak. I make sure my steak is "good and dead," though, so this cut might now work for me. I'm a well-done girl (no pink, hot throughout--a chef's nightmare, i'm sure ;)), while hubs is a med/rare kinda guy.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,995 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I am also having tri-tip tonight with salad with jicama and organic tomatoes and avocado.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

k_dub

k_dub

• 500 plus
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationWyoming
That sounds awesome, Nancy. Thanks for the idea! :)
Kelly

Current A1C: 6.0%
Diagnosed with LADA June 2008
Animas One Touch Ping March 2009
Dexcom Seven March 2010 --> Dexcom G4 November 2012
Apidra

Mom to Nicholas born 1/4/14. Ask me about diabetes and pregnancy!
First trimester A1c: 5.7%
Second trimester A1c: 6.1%
Late second trimester A1c (25 weeks): 5.7%
Third trimester A1c (35 weeks): 6.0%

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about, but you refuse to investigate" Dr. Wayne Dyer

janice21475

janice21475

Wife w/diabetic Hubby

• 500 plus
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
Today I am cooking onions in the crockpot. The directions say fill the crock pot with sliced onions, turn on low and give it 16 hours (+ -) and they will caramelize. I will only use a little each meal but the flavor goes a long way towards making plain things yummy. If I don't let them get too dark the carb count won't be too high. We will be sure to give them the meter test. Beats standing at the stove stirring for a hour or such. Makes the house smell so good.

Husband, Type 2 = 22 units Lantus in the AM

Chaseg08

Chaseg08

• 500 plus
  • 494 posts

I'll have to look for Newport steak. I make sure my steak is "good and dead," though, so this cut might now work for me. I'm a well-done girl (no pink, hot throughout--a chef's nightmare, i'm sure ;)), while hubs is a med/rare kinda guy.

It's a big enough cut. You get the well done ends and he can have the perfectly cooked center.
-Chase

DX'd T1 Nov 2010
Novalog

alicat61

alicat61

• 500 plus
  • 1,241 posts
Hi
I just made Lambs Fry (liver) with bacon onion and red wine It was yummy. I have been told lately I'm pale so if iron levels are down this will help
I had carrot choko and swede with it.

Take care from Alicat61:)

On 5th May 2010 had a Lap Band fitted
Has changed my life
Humalog only if needed. (BGL above 6mmols)
Lantus daily
Metformin 1gm 3x a day
Propranalol 40 mgs 2 x a day

VeeJay

VeeJay

• 500 plus
  • 367 posts
Last night I cooked a couple chuck steaks in seasoning - was really good.

Steaks, cut into chunks. (Enough meat to fill my large skillet)
Seared in a bit of shortening and kept on a medium high heat until most of the liquid was cooked off and what was left was nice and brown (without having burned - a tricky thing for me).

Added enough water to cover the bottom of the pan up about 1/4 inch. Covered and cooked on low heat for 1-1/2 hours. Don't let the water cook off, keep checking (about every 20 minutes or so).

Midway through the cooking I sprinkled the meat with the seasoning and stirred the meat around. Then stirred up the meat every 10-15 minutes after that. Just before serving I sprinkled some olive oil in to increase the fat in the "drippings'.

Seasoning: (No exact measurements, sorry)

smokey paprika
onion powder
crushed dried basil
garlic powder
salt
pepper

Served with frozen green beans with a few pieces of red bell pepper*, a sprinkle of onion powder, and olive oil.

* I keep a bag of frozen peppers in the freezer and just took out a few of the red slices and broke them into smaller pieces. No need to "cook" them as when they defrost they are mushy enough - just put them in the pan when the beans are done and let them defrost and get hot.
8/13/10 A1C 5.5 (lab) :)
10/2/10 A1C 5.1 (home) :D
4/1/11 A1C 5.3 (lab) :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users