• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

strumpeace

strumpeace

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, all. I'm new to the forums.

I'm Type II, diagnosed in 2007 when I was 31 years old. I know this will not go over well here, and it shouldn't, but I'll post it anyway: Since being diagnosed, I have--for the most part--simply ignored the fact that I'm diabetic. I've been to a doctor about diabetes exactly two times since being diagnosed. The first doctor I saw prescribed a medication that caused my reading to drop dramatically. After a few days of taking the medication (sorry, I can't remember what it was called--I think it began with a 'B' and was a mix of metformin and something else), I found myself waking up in the middle of the night, nearly paralyzed and barely able to talk. My wife grabbed my glucometer, and my reading was in the low 40s. I immediately discarded the medication and decided to 'go it alone.'

Fast forward to 2010 -- the second time I decided to see a doctor. My readings had been abnormally high (consistent 180s, even fasting). So this doctor prescribes Metformin. I start getting stomach cramps that cause me to double over in pain. (I'm sure many of you have experienced this, too, as I understand it's fairly normal.) So I throw those away, too, and decide to 'go it alone' again.

If you're reading this, you're screaming at me by now, and I don't blame you. This is not a good excuse, I know, but it is what keeps me from going to the doctor: I have a disorder that causes me to pass out when blood is drawn. Even if it's a little blood, I pass out. It has nothing to do with looking at the blood being drawn. It's a problem with my fight-or-flight mechanism. So I hate going to the doctor because I hate passing out. And I don't have insurance.

So flash forward to two months ago. I wake up one morning, and my foot is swollen at the ankle. I figured it was a gout attack. I have those frequently, though usually in the toe. Anyway, so I take pain medication and hope the problem goes away. It doesn't. It continues to hurt and stay swollen. After a couple of weeks, though, the pain and swelling subside a little. So I figure all is good. But then it comes back. And so for the last two months, it's been come and go. Right now, the swelling is down, and the pain is pretty much gone away. However, there is a tingling sensation in my foot. And sometimes I swear I can feel that tingling in my brain as well. I have felt a tad light-headed the last few days, but I'm hoping that's due to a sinus problem.

So I'm worried about neuropathy and/or infection. I don't have any visible cuts, scars, ulcers, etc. on my foot. My foot doesn't look infected, though it is a little red in the places where it was most swollen. I'm scared that I'm going to go from taking no medicine and self-managing to being without a foot.

I'm going to the doctor this week. Does anyone have any idea what I might expect to hear? Does this random swelling and tingling sound familiar to anyone? I'm just trying to prepare myself in advance because going to the doctor in itself is usually such a traumatic experience for me. (And this will probably be even worse considering I know I'm going to get a well-deserved lecture.)

Thanks so much for reading. I'm sorry for the life-story, but I figured a little background might help you better understand the situation.

Warmest regards.

gphx

gphx

• Seniors
  • 576 posts
My feet were swollen to the extent I couldn't wear shoes sometimes and tingly/numb/burning all at the same time for a year or two, until my diagnosis. Upon getting my blood glucose down shortly after dx my shoes suddenly felt a couple sizes too big and the burning and numbness became a memory.

Some people have stomach issues with Metformin solved by having the extended release ER formulation prescribed.

I used diet and exercise to get my bgs down. They cost effectively nothing because I have to eat anyway.

In my opinion if you put all this off until you do see a visible ulcer or something it's going to be far too late. The good news is something has finally gotten your attention. The question is what you'll do from here. You've spent far too long being afraid. Being proactive gives you some control back in your life, lets you be rewarded for doing positive things, and is a lot less scary. The only thing you have to lose is fear. Good luck!

andersgeorgsson

andersgeorgsson

• Members
  • 320 posts
I had that happen a few times - and in my case, the doctor called "edema" or swelling of limbs... The tingling in my case was from the skin being stretched to cover the leg without breaking open.

I came of the medication that I was on at the time (Actos!) and the problem went away.
-------------------------
dx Type 2 in 1998

Lantus once a day before breakfast,
Novolog with every meal per bolus calculation.

A1C 2/ 9/11:10.0
A1C 4/23/11: 6.8 ! (home)
A1C 5/14/11: 6.6
A1C 6/29/11: 6.3 (home)
A1C 10/15/11: 6.1!
IAB Neg, GAD Low - C-Peptide: 0.9

Received Minimed Revel 723 BLACK 6/10/2011, Pumping Humalog since 6/29/2011.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users