Photo

Cardio or Weightlifting to lose weight and lower blood sugar?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

sufferer15

sufferer15

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
What is the best way to lose weight and lower your blood sugar? Is it better to focus on cardio running or to do more weight lifting or pushups/situps? thanks!

Peakay

Peakay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
I do 30 mins of running or 3KM daily:

1.) 3KM - Treadmill setting is 3 mins speed 5, 3 mins speed 5.5 all the rest speed 6 t 6.2 (I change it up a bit, this gets me to 3KM in 30 mins)
2.) 30 minutes - Treadmill setting is speed 5 for the whole walk.

I run for 2 days then walk for the next 2 days and plan to switch it. The Run brings my Sugar Levels down better than the weightlifting because I don't focus on the lifting

I also read that strength training is good for Type 2 Diabetics; so what I do is to 3 cycles of the bench press, 1 cycle of bicep curls and 1 cycle of my back. I don't do too much because I believe I need to lose weight and the strength training is secondary to the cardio right now as my Triglyceride Level is 428, the range is 20 to 200.

On a personal note; I have not be diagnosed with Diabetes, yet, but my FBS was 4 points over. My doctor said, change my lifestyle, eat right and exercise and we will do the HBA1C, the best case scenario is I am Insulin Intolerant or Pre-Diabetic; so I am in the gym everyday and thankfully, my post eating has dropped down to normal levels and my FBS is all within the normal range.

Hope this helps.

sufferer15

sufferer15

• Members
  • 290 posts
thanks! I am doing mostly cardio 20-40 min on the elliptical machine or running. I am starting to do abdominal and back exercises since I have a lot of fat in that area. I also take metformin at 1000mg/day and fish oil (I think it lowers bad cholesterol).
I've heard some people do this muscle confusion weight training- there's a P90x system for that.

duck

duck

• Seniors
  • 6,671 posts
This can be a complicated discussion; my own thoughts (with some evidence to back my thoughts) is that BOTH are beneficial to those of us with the various forms of this disease. Cardio appears to me to have longer-lasting effects AFTER exercise on keeping blood sugar levels lower. Cardio also has the benefit(s) of strengthening the heart muscle, improving cardiovascular fitness and burning fat. Weightlifting increases strength and muscle tone, and potentially muscle-mass. Increased muscle mass can help increase your metabolism (fat has lower metabolic requirements than muscle, for instance). And anectdotally, when I lifted a lot (six days out of the week) back before I had kids, my blood sugars were INCREDIBLY stable--especially for a punk kid like I was who didn't realize he had Type 1 diabetes.

In short, I would argue we need to integrate BOTH types of exercise into our exercise regimens. Both have benefits that arguably are helpful for those of us with this disease.

Again, this can be a complicated discussion. But bottom line is any exercise is "good" for us, so let's "just do it" and have fun doing it!
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

sufferer15

sufferer15

• Members
  • 290 posts
Yeah I'm trying to focus on working up to getting 40 minutes of cardio a day. I think it's important to work up to it gradually- I started out walking. Sometimes I have nausea/vomiting, headaches after exercise but I'm not sure if that's from the metformin or food poisoning. The cardio seems to lower your liver glucose and raise your metabolism but I'm still having chronic fatigue. I also have fatty liver and that can lead to inflammation and scarring of the liver so I take biotin and choline and milk thistle. It's too bad people aren't more aggressive about attacking the exercise and blood glucose because diabetes really is a terrible disease.

Michal

Michal

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well in my opinion cardio is best for weight lose and lower blood sugar. In cardio you can do walk and running. Both are healthy exercises. I do 30 to 40 minute walk and after it i do running. I suggest everyone to do cardio for weight lose and lower blood sugar.

Everet

Everet

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi sufferer15,
Cardio exercises are better than weightlifting to lose weight and lower blood sugar.
Cardio exercises also prevent you from many major illness like depression, stress, stroke, heart problems and certain types of cancer.

sufferer15

sufferer15

• Members
  • 290 posts
Thanks very much for the posts! I feel so much better after cardio. What is the optimal exercise heart rate, maybe 170? I have worked up to 50 minutes/day, but maybe it's better to do 30minutes of intense running or elliptical? You can get shin splints if you run a lot on hard surfaces so maybe fields and grass is better....I just hope my pancreas isn't damaged already by high carbs and sugars.... I really love the abdominal situps too since diabetes is associated with abdominal fat
[url]nospam.com[/url] has a special on joining and they're open 24 hours a day

Edited by Harold, 03 August 2011 - 12:03 AM.
no spam please

shainesboostin

shainesboostin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

This can be a complicated discussion; my own thoughts (with some evidence to back my thoughts) is that BOTH are beneficial to those of us with the various forms of this disease. Cardio appears to me to have longer-lasting effects AFTER exercise on keeping blood sugar levels lower. Cardio also has the benefit(s) of strengthening the heart muscle, improving cardiovascular fitness and burning fat. Weightlifting increases strength and muscle tone, and potentially muscle-mass. Increased muscle mass can help increase your metabolism (fat has lower metabolic requirements than muscle, for instance). And anectdotally, when I lifted a lot (six days out of the week) back before I had kids, my blood sugars were INCREDIBLY stable--especially for a punk kid like I was who didn't realize he had Type 1 diabetes.

In short, I would argue we need to integrate BOTH types of exercise into our exercise regimens. Both have benefits that arguably are helpful for those of us with this disease.

Again, this can be a complicated discussion. But bottom line is any exercise is "good" for us, so let's "just do it" and have fun doing it!

^This, however weight training is going to help more in the long run, muscles burn cals, increase insulin sensativity ect. Cardio obvioslly has its place as well tho....

shainesboostin

shainesboostin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Why do you say Diabetes is associated with fat? Fat is diet, no excuses!

sufferer15

sufferer15

• Members
  • 290 posts
I am having problems exercising because of lack of energy. I takes me 2-3 days sometime to recover from an intense workout so I've been doing 30 min of cardio. I haven't been doing much lifting though and should do that, I can barely do 10 pushups and have a lot of abdominal fat.
it's just a terrible cycle, the development of diabetes leaves you tired so you really have to push yourself to workout

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 7,469 posts
I think you have to know your own body. When I do intense cardio my bgs actually rise and may take 5-6 hours to return to normal. You have to do a lot of testing to figure out what part of your workout, your body produces stress hormones. I have lost more weight with daily walking in my neighborhood than with any cardio program. I am now down to my college weight of 118.

metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, fish oil, biotin, occuvite and zinc

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-4 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

Daytona

Daytona

• Seniors
  • 509 posts
Hey sufferer15, if your workouts are causing you to have a longer recovery period that is longer the actual workout then you are doing too much! You don't get a medal for killing yourself. Jumping in and over training will not help you lose weight or normalize your BG any faster and more likely will set you back. I am speaking from experience here as if I am not careful will experience long recovery periods after exercise (maybe 6 hours instead of 3 days).

My recommendation is to scrap whatever you are currently doing that is taking you out for 2-3 days and start over. Start with exercises (whether it's cardio or weights, I don't care) that you can do without pain/aches and can still speak while doing (e.g. if you are huffing and puffing so much that you can't comfortably speak, it's too much).

• Start small, try 5-10 minutes of something and then evaluate how you feel. If you are pooped, then stop!
  • Find your "pooped point" and stop before you reach it. You should feel good and able to go about your normal routine after your workout.
  • Once you are exercising to that point reliably and have eliminated the "recovery period" slowly start increasing either the intensity or duration of your workouts. By slowly I mean add maybe 5 minutes or 5 lbs of extra weight a week.
  • If you ever start hitting your "pooped point" again, go back to the previous week's workout.

The goal is to incorporate exercise into your daily life without having it interfere with your life/routine. Doing it this way will be sustainable, prevent injuries/illness and make it less likely that you just throw in the towel.
Diagnosed 12/2010 @ 10.7, Latest A1c 11/2011 @ 5.3!
30 years old
Ketogenic Paleo Diet
www.sweetgeek.net

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,125 posts
Neither has worked well for me. I guess I'm now cross-training: run 4x a week, weight train 2x, and tennis once. I also spend time in the garden.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• Seniors
  • 5,333 posts
  • Location95965

...run 4x a week, weight train 2x, and tennis once. I also spend time in the garden.

I want your life... :)

sisyphus.jpg

-Like Sisyphus, that's how I roll...-

shainesboostin

shainesboostin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I think everyone is forgetting a KEY point, INSULIN although anabolic, is also prevents lipolysis (fat loss) so depending on dosages, that could be some people problem?

sufferer15

sufferer15

• Members
  • 290 posts
it's terrible lately when I don't get good bipap therapy for my sleep apnea I have no energy and can only run 10minutes at a time. I'm feeling nauseous and was vomiting last week. I'm not sure what's wrong, my BMI is about 24

sufferer15

sufferer15

• Members
  • 290 posts
the problem I'm having is I have such low energy that if I really push myself in a cardio workout I have no energy for days to exercise
I have some kind of low cortisol problem it seems, maybe its the sleep apnea
I take metformin so maybe that doesn't affect insulin directly

Tarrom

Tarrom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have found that cardio and weightlifting nicely complement each other and have different benefits. However, I think to classify it into aerobic and anaerobic exercise would be more correct. You need to consider intensity, duration, and volume of all exercise though. The dude who goes and does big compound exercises will experience greater insulin sensitivity and benefits from weightlifting in general than the dude who goes to the gym and does 32094232905 different kinds of bicep curls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users