- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

LindsayAnn

LindsayAnn

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I failed my 3 hour GTT with some strange numbers. My fasting number was normal...83, and after drinking the glucola drink my BS went up to 224 (!) and then my 2 hour blood draw was 148 and 3 hour was 138. So, in one hour my blood glucose level dropped nearly 80 points? That seems strange, but I honestly, know nothing about blood sugar as I have never had any issues before so maybe it's a normal thing.

I am a little concerned because there was another lady getting her 3 hour test done at the same time as me and, although it seems unlikely I wonder if somehow the vials of blood got mixed up. The tech took my blood and then 30 seconds later called her in to take hers.

For the last five days I have been monitoring my blood 2 hours after eating and have yet to have a reading above 104. (I even ate french toast with syrup and some strawberry yogurt, and that gave me my highest reading...104.) Usually my numbers 2 hours postprandial are in the mid to upper 80s. I have not altered my diet in any way. I go to my next OB appt on Wednesday, but I was just thinking that this whole thing seems a little weird and wanted to know if anyone had any insight.

Thanks!

art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
  • I am a:Type 2
they did a GTT ?
Did they do an A1C?

Art

LindsayAnn

LindsayAnn

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
They did not do an A1C...The GTT is just the standard screen they do if you fail the 1 hour glucose challenge test (drinking 100 grams of glucose). The nurse stated that I 'barely failed' with the first test...but I didn't ask the numbers. That number of 224 just seems like the odd man out...the normal range was a number below 180. I suppose I could request an A1C at my next appointment, but I don't know what that would change now. I am already labeled 'high risk' and a Gestational Diabetic.

luyoungrn

luyoungrn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Art is right. Have them check your A1c. That lab reading will give a snapshot of your blood glucose over the last several months and not just a spot reading on what just ate in the last few hours. The A1c is the definitive guide.

Grunch

Grunch

• Members
  • 488 posts
If you just developed gestational diabetes the A1c will not be of much help. A normal A1c wouldn't mean anything. I guess the only thing you could do is order another GTT at a different lab if you don't trust that one.

As for the 80 point drop a person who didn't have problems with their blood sugar control would have dropped more and faster.
Diagnosed 03/27/09
MDI - Lantus & Humalog
Mar 09 - 10.5
May 12 - 5.2
Oct 12 - 5.0

gphx

gphx

• Seniors
  • 578 posts

Art is right. Have them check your A1c. That lab reading will give a snapshot of your blood glucose over the last several months and not just a spot reading on what just ate in the last few hours. The A1c is the definitive guide.

A1C is not the 'definitive guide'. According to this paper in the ADA journal and many others 60-70% of diabetics diagnosed by FBG and OGTT have normal A1C numbers meaning for them A1C is relatively useless and completely useless for diagnostic purposes.

How Do We Diagnose Diabetes and Measure Blood Glucose Control?

shyam

shyam

• Seniors
  • 1,030 posts
My understanding of the OGTT is. The fasting BG is recorded & a 75 gm glucose dose is give. One has to be below 200 at the 1 hr mark, and less than 140 at the 2 hr mark. How much glucose were you given ? To be termed diabetic, you need to fail the test on 2 occasions. So get another test after 2 weeks.
DX Type II Nov 2007 (219 fasting)
Diet/Exercise since Aug 2010
1stAug10 : BG 178 Fasting / A1C : 8.00, Oct'10 6.9 / Jan'11 6.4
Apr'11 6.0 / June'11 5.9 / Oct'11 5.8 / Jan'12 5.6 / Apr'12 5.3
Now between 70-125 all the time
;)

jillybean

jillybean

• Seniors
  • 1,282 posts
LindsayAnn, it's been a good month since you forst posted tihs - how are things?

I agree that an A1C test is not very useful for gestational diabetes. Unlike type 2, gestational can begin rapidly, not over a long period of time. This is why the GTT is used to screen for it instead of just running a simple A1C.

My understanding of the OGTT is. The fasting BG is recorded & a 75 gm glucose dose is give. One has to be below 200 at the 1 hr mark, and less than 140 at the 2 hr mark. How much glucose were you given ? To be termed diabetic, you need to fail the test on 2 occasions. So get another test after 2 weeks.

For gestational diabetes, you only need to fail the test once. Gestational is not the same as type 2.
*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

Azurah

Azurah

• Members
  • 332 posts
My advice is to just keep testing and eating to your meter. If you continue having non-diabetic numbers, that's awesome, and keep doing whatever your doing. Since you failed the 1st test it doesn't seem like the high numbers came out of nowhere.

If you would feel more comfortable, ask if they can redo the test.

I had the opposite experience. Barely failed the initial test, barely failed the 3hr test, but then once I started testing I was seeing 140's after meals and placed on fast-acting insulin w/meals for the duration of the pregnancy.
30 years old, thin type 2
Diagnosed: 6/30/11 (failed OGTT with bg around 260 at 2 hours)
A1C at diagnosis: 5.6
11/12/11 A1C (using A1CNow selfcheck): 5.2
12/19/11 A1C 5.5
4/9/12 A1C 5.5
10/22/12 A1C 5.5
Taking Metformin 500mg/3x day
History of gestational diabetes in '02

Debstarock

Debstarock

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Just stick to a good diet and keep your readings 100 and below after 1.5 - 2 hours post eating. Even if you are borderline it will come back later in life so be very weary of that! And that is 100% guarenteed. So take good care to postpone it AS long as possible. I was not aware of the 100% I was told 50% and because it is not in my family I thought I would never get it but have it 10 fold now! So my best advice is take good care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users