Does this lower blood sugar?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

disgirl

disgirl

• Members
  • 136 posts
I read recently that having a glass of water mixed with 1 packet of metamucil a day lowers blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol. Has anyone heard or tried this?

Daytona

Daytona

• Seniors
  • 509 posts
I took a chug of the big M every night for a while. I didn't notice any improvement, in fact it would raise my BG even though it was sugar free. Metamucil is good for only one thing in my opinion and unless you "need the fiber" I wouldn't take it. :D
Diagnosed 12/2010 @ 10.7, Latest A1c 11/2011 @ 5.3!
30 years old
Ketogenic Paleo Diet
www.sweetgeek.net

NickP

NickP

• Seniors
  • 1,895 posts
Negative....I have not heard that, nor find it credible. However, I don't see any reason not to give it it a try. If you do try it....let us know how it works.
Nick
Feb 17, 2010 - Initial A1C 9.3 Weight 238
May 26, 2010 - A1C 6.0
Aug 20, 2010 - A1C 5.6
Nov 19, 2010 - A1C 5.8
Mar 1, 2011- A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Jun 3, 2011 - A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Oct 31, 2011 - A1C 5.3
Nov 6, 2012 - A1C 5.3
Feb 18, 2014- A1C 5.6 Weight 199

Current Meds:
Metformin 500mg x 2

gphx

gphx

• Seniors
  • 578 posts
Actually there's multiple studies showing various sources of soluble fiber such as chia seeds, psyllium, nopales, flax, aloe gel, etc. can keep bgs a bit lower if taken prior to the carby foods. The more of a 'gel' it forms the better. Metamucil is psyllium if I recall correctly. The studies I read didn't say 'why' but I'm guessing they do something similar to oil in slowing absorption. Whether soluble fiber or oil they seem to be effective taken [I]immediately[I] before the carby foods. Hours before or later doesn't make much difference. Although I will say getting irregular raises my bgs considerably so Metamucil might help there too if that's a problem.

gphx

gphx

• Seniors
  • 578 posts
Relocated some on psyllium (Metamucil):

ScienceDirect - Journal of Diabetes and its Complications : Lipid- and Glucose-Lowering Efficacy of Plantago Psyllium in Type II Diabetes

Psyllium fiber reduces rise in postprandial glucose and insulin concentrations in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes

Actually there's multiple studies showing various sources of soluble fiber such as chia seeds, psyllium, nopales, flax, aloe gel, etc. can keep bgs a bit lower if taken prior to the carby foods. The more of a 'gel' it forms the better. Metamucil is psyllium if I recall correctly. The studies I read didn't say 'why' but I'm guessing they do something similar to oil in slowing absorption. Whether soluble fiber or oil they seem to be effective taken [I]immediately[I] before the carby foods. Hours before or later doesn't make much difference. Although I will say getting irregular raises my bgs considerably so Metamucil might help there too if that's a problem.

puzlnut

puzlnut

• Seniors
  • 706 posts

I have read on here from various members that Metamucil does help lower their numbers---although they did not say by how much. I took Metamucil for a few days once in the afternoon to help move things along. Checked my number 1 and 2 hours after and saw no rise (nor lowering) of my number. But I took it on an empty stomach----perhaps before a carby meal it might help with some of the carbs not being absorbed.
Type 2
6/10/11 A1C = 9.8 FBG = 246
8/10/11 A1C = 6.4
11/18/11 A1c = 5.6 FBG = 101
4/24/12 A1C =5.8 FBG = 109

Metformin 1500 mg. ER /day
HCTZ , Trandalapril , Toprol ER
Vit. D, ALA, EPO, Biotin

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Promise me you'll always remember---you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

disgirl

disgirl

• Members
  • 136 posts
I found out it has maltodextrin in it :(

puzlnut

puzlnut

• Seniors
  • 706 posts
That d*** maltodextrin is pure evil. WHY does it have to show it's face in so many things????? UGH. :(
Type 2
6/10/11 A1C = 9.8 FBG = 246
8/10/11 A1C = 6.4
11/18/11 A1c = 5.6 FBG = 101
4/24/12 A1C =5.8 FBG = 109

Metformin 1500 mg. ER /day
HCTZ , Trandalapril , Toprol ER
Vit. D, ALA, EPO, Biotin

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Promise me you'll always remember---you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

disgirl

disgirl

• Members
  • 136 posts

That d*** maltodextrin is pure evil. WHY does it have to show it's face in so many things????? UGH. :(

Seriously!!! I just found out it's also added to the almonds I eat everyday....

masa_inn

masa_inn

• Members
  • 340 posts

Oh drats!!! Now I know... /stares at a pack of chewing gum/
Diagnosed June 2011; FG 126
The best morning reading since Dx – 80.

Low carb; exercise.

Metformin 850 mg X 2 since October 2011

H1C October 2011 5.2; fasting sugar 100

Accounting major on a CPA track; contracted staff accountant with a really funny hourly pay

Atlanta, GA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users