- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

abbeysdad

abbeysdad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi... I am new to this so I will keep it short. I have been Type 2 for years but well controlled until the last few months with diet and metformin. Started on 1.2 Victoza one month ago. I was apprehensive about the needle thing but got over that and felt silly after the first time and realised it was absolutely painless.I had the normal queasies and headspins for the first couple of weeks and not much change to my blood sugars, then I added 2 gr of cinnamon morning and afternoon and right away my B.S. dropped to the low 6's. The odd thing is that after a month, I have lost 20 pounds to the delight of both my doctor and I. The Victoza seems to change your taste buds - I now instinctively lean more towards veggies and salads and avoid greasy stuff like bacon.
All very strange to me, but I'll take it.

thisstinks

thisstinks

• Members
  • 190 posts
I used it more than 2 years ago and I still have lumps at the injection sites

scary stuff

[url=http://www.rotlaw.com/product-alerts/victoza-alert/]Potential Victoza (Liraglutide) Recall Lawsuit for its Side Effects[/url]

trowter

trowter

• Members
  • 198 posts

I used it more than 2 years ago and I still have lumps at the injection sites

scary stuff

[url=http://www.rotlaw.com/product-alerts/victoza-alert/]Potential Victoza (Liraglutide) Recall Lawsuit for its Side Effects[/url]

Seriously...A link to a law firm that specializes in suing drug companies????

Hi Abbeysdad,
Don't pay attention to the above poster...Negativity is his/her specialty.

Welcome to the forum!!! I don't think there are very many people on this forum that use Victoza...anytime I have posted anything about it there is very little response. It's such a new drug, and VERY expensive in the US (from what I gather about double what we pay in Canada), that I think it is cost prohibitive for a lot of people unless they have good private insurance. It also doesn't seem to work for everyone.

I've been on Victoza since February...have lost 72lbs when combining it with a moderate carb, healthy diet. I actually had results overnight, despite my CDE telling me that it could take up to a month to see the results. And I was one of the lucky ones who has had virtually no side effects, other than a day or two of just feeling blah. Since starting it, I have gone from 1500mg a day of metformin to none.

I totally agree with you, when you say that you instinctively go for more veggies, than greasy, fatty food. I think that's because it slows down the emptying of your stomach so much, that your body learns that a meal heavy in grease will sit like lead in your stomach, and is just not worth the uncomfortable feeling that it produces. If I eat a very heavy dinner with a lot of grease, or spices, it is still sitting in my stomach the next morning.

It has done wonders for my weight, and my sugars. The only issue I do have, is that the decrease in appetite is more than I had bargained for. After 6 months, I figured my appetite might return somewhat, but nope...most days I eat less than 1000 calories, and a good portion of that is eating because I have to...not because I am hungry. I am meeting with my Diabetic Educator next week to discuss this.

abbeysdad

abbeysdad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Trowter...I agree.... this is a world of negative folks and frivolous litigation. On the other hand , I expect that there is a percentage of people who dont get the desired effects from this or any drug for that matter, and a small percentage who react poorly or not at all. After all, we are all a little different and I'm sure it is very frustrating to fall into that category when you are looking forward to success.
Congratulations on your weight loss.... that in itself helps tremendously and I'm sure you feel much better and quite proud of your achievement.
I have been Type 2 for 10 or 12 years now and have always managed to to keep my sugars fairly normal in a half-hearted, stuck in denial sort of way with low carbs and Metformin. Lately, in the last year or so, I guess I've finally accepted the fact that I actually have to work at being in better health so this recent development is fairly exciting for me. I look forward to catching up to folks like you in a few months.
That being said, I think I'll go out for a walk and burn off some of this lettuce and tomatoes.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• Seniors
  • 5,203 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2

That being said, I think I'll go out for a walk and burn off some of this lettuce and tomatoes.

I'm not quite sure that lettuce & tomatoes will get you very far. You might want to bring along some cab fare...just in case! :D

shanna79

shanna79

• Members
  • 125 posts
I'm not on Victoza but I am on Byetta, which apparently work the same way and I LOVE it so far. My sugars are fabulous, I don't crave the sweet, carby things that I used to and my appetite is cut in half. I didn't have much weight to lose but I always felt like I had to snack to keep my energy up and this keeps my numbers so much more level that I don't get that spike and drop that used to leave me feeling sluggish and hungry. I've had very little nausea and absolutely no other issues.

And trowter, I've noticed the same thing. A greasy dinner is STILL in my stomach come the morning. That'll gross you out enough to not eat that meal again. :)
Type 2 and Hypothyroid

2000 mg Metformin
5 mcg Byetta
100 mcg Levothyroxine

tomo 1

tomo 1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been on Victoza for a month now.I love it.It has curbed my appetite.I know I have lost some weight.I go to the doctor in two days.I'll find out how much weight loss then.I have had no side effects and my blood sugar has went from around 200 to 135 average.

art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
Tried it for a month.
Did absolutely nothing for me.

Art

sumi

sumi

• Seniors
  • 1,307 posts
I've been on it about 4 months now. It definitely cuts my appetite and has made a small difference it bgs. When I return in September for a check up I'll get an accurate weight loss reading and decide whether to keep it up. I wish I was one of those with spectacular results, but I'm not. The expense is a concern to me. I have to decide how much losing 5 or 10 pounds is worth. Probably quite a bit, as I seem pretty resistant to giving up my insulation.
Susan
DX Dec4/08 FBG 19(342)
Dec4 /08 A1C 10.9
Feb.4/09 A1C 7.6
may4 /09 A1C 5.2:D
Sept 4/09 A1C 5.4
Dec 7/09 A1C 5.2
2010 A1C average 5.4
2011 A1C average 5.5
Current meds: 1500mg metformin, 5 mg ramipril, Victoza
Low carb- started at < 50 , now can handle 100

BusterDave

BusterDave

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm new to Victoza as well with 4 weeks as of tomorrow. My A1C had been increasing and was at 9.6 in July. I inject at night, 1.2, and my morning numbers have gone from 230's to 100-110. Gas/bloating are the biggest side effect for me and I too have less cravings for carbs/sweets. My wife tells me I'm eating less, snacking less even though I don't realize it. I'm hoping for some weight loss when I go back to the Dr next week.

One big concern i have is with the injection and bruising. I inject in my stomach area and have had 5 times left with bruises, 2-2.5" in diameter. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but assume i'm hitting veins or ??

The second time i injected, first time without Dr/Nurse present, I nearly passed out, had a nice bruise and my BG dropped from 230's to 150. However I attribute the near fainting to more of a drop in blood pressure from the act of injecting as I have a history of doing so from donating blood when I was younger.

I look forward to hearing of your progress and getting a community of Victoza users to share with.

Dave

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• Seniors
  • 5,203 posts
  • Location95965

One big concern i have is with the injection and bruising. I inject in my stomach area and have had 5 times left with bruises, 2-2.5" in diameter. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but assume i'm hitting veins or ??

My first question would be are you an easy bruiser? Do you find bruises on your legs or arms and wonder how they got there? Second, in order to ferret this out maybe you could take us through your every step to injecting, including what size needle you use; whether you use a syringe or a pen; do you pinch up the skin; where in that pinch do you stick the needle and at what angle; do you stab yourself and push the plunger down as fast as you can to get it over with or do you slip it to yourself slowly; do you reuse the needles? Mention as much applicable information as you can think of.

All of us who inject have, over time, found out what works with us...and what doesn't. Finding out what works best for you can greatly diminish the bruising...if it's technique. BD puts out what they call their nano needle for pens. It's 4mm x 32G. It's for insulin...which may not work well with Victoza if Victoza has a greater viscosity than insulin.

trowter

trowter

• Members
  • 198 posts

The second time i injected, first time without Dr/Nurse present, I nearly passed out, had a nice bruise and my BG dropped from 230's to 150. However I attribute the near fainting to more of a drop in blood pressure from the act of injecting as I have a history of doing so from donating blood when I was younger.

Dave

I've done that twice..it hasn't happened for probably 4 months now though. I also attributed it to my blood pressure dropping.

trowter

trowter

• Members
  • 198 posts

All of us who inject have, over time, found out what works with us...and what doesn't. Finding out what works best for you can greatly diminish the bruising...if it's technique. BD puts out what they call their nano needle for pens. It's 4mm x 32G. It's for insulin...which may not work well with Victoza if Victoza has a greater viscosity than insulin.

Victoza is administered by way of a pen. When I got my trial pen, it came with 6mm x 32G...I wasn't sure if it was ok to switch to another needle, so have just stuck with these.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• Seniors
  • 5,203 posts
  • Location95965

Victoza is administered by way of a pen. When I got my trial pen, it came with 6mm x 32G...I wasn't sure if it was ok to switch to another needle, so have just stuck with these.

Rethinking this; I may have misspoke in regards to what fluids might pass through which sized pen needles. Of course anything made for a pen will pass through any sized commercial needle. As to can you switch needle sizes...absolutely. BD states that the 4mm & 5mm pen needles are for a direct injection without a pinch-up. Actually, that information is posted about their 5mm pen needle in regards to children and very thin people, but since the 4mm pen needle is a new addition, the same information should apply.

I've been using the 5mm x 32G pen needles for 2 years now, rotating on my abdomen in 14 different spots with no runs, no drips and no errors [paraphrasing a baseball metaphor, sorry] In the beginning I was concerned about lipohypertrophy (lumps of scar tissue from reusing a particular injection site too often). It took some searching before I found some good information as to how often to rotate before you can return to square one. The consensus of opinions went from 2 weeks to a month. I don't have that many spots I'm keen on where I want to stick a needle so I settled on 14 spots on my abdomen. I asked my PA-C how much did he think 25 units spread out under the skin...he said about the size of a quarter. I spaced my injection sites that far apart and after 2 years...I have zero lumps.

Just pondering, if someone has enough abdomen fat then I think one might benefit from switching the length of the needle every other year to add to their lateral injection sites. IMO, depth can also be a rotational factor in staving off lipohypertrophy.

tomo 1

tomo 1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was having the bruising problem with stomach injections also.I now inject into my thigh with no bruising.

amiguita

amiguita

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • I am a:Type 1.5
I can't remember how long I've been on Victoza ... maybe since October 2010, but I have no problems with the needles. On occasion, a small bruise if I'm not paying attention and inject close to a stretch mark (old, old ones. oh ... god bless the first child who tore my beautiful belly to shreds) and I don't know what's up with that, but it's minimal. The Victoza has definitely curbed my appetite and has done WONDERS for my morning numbers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
diagnosed in 2/2010, Type 2 then 1.5
HbA1c
05/26/12 6.9 :mad: !!
03/13/12 6.6 :eek:
02/03/12 6.3 :mad:
11/01/11 5.8 :smile:
07/12/11 5.6 :dancing:
02/03/2011 5.8
10/2010 - 7.2 :(
6/10/2010 - 5.8 :)
5/04/10 - 6.5
3/24/2010 - 7.4
2/2010 - 8.5

FBG
05/26/12 190 :eek:
11/01/2011 - 177
07/12/2011 - 110
02/03/2011 - 104 :star:
10/2010 - 235
6/10/2010 - 145
3/24/2010 - 130
2/2010 - 250

Levemir: start 6/12/12. Levemir/Humalog basal/bolus regimen. 2000 mg Metformin ER daily

thisstinks

thisstinks

• Members
  • 190 posts
[url=http://google2.fda.gov/search?q=VICTOZA&x=9&y=8&client=FDAgov&site=FDAgov&lr=&proxystylesheet=FDAgov&output=xml_no_dtd&getfields=*]Search Results: VICTOZA[/url]

Every one is free to make choices.

abbeysdad

abbeysdad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Halfway through my second month.... weight loss is at 25 pounds and sugars are averaging 6.1. I'm sorry to hear that some people are having problems and I certainly hope the troubles alleviate with time. My singular problem has been trying to adjust to my new found taste buds. Being a carnivore all my life and suddenly finding that I feel like eating a peanut butter sandwich, or going to a nice restaurant and ordering a greek salad because that's what I want is all still new to me.
The cook at my favourite breakfast restaurant just cant figure why I'm suddenly having a poached egg on toast with sliced tomatoes after twenty-five years of ordering pea-meal bacon and three fried eggs with home fries. I'd like to know what is in the Victoza that alters my food desires.

BusterDave

BusterDave

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

My first question would be are you an easy bruiser? Do you find bruises on your legs or arms and wonder how they got there? Second, in order to ferret this out maybe you could take us through your every step to injecting, including what size needle you use; whether you use a syringe or a pen; do you pinch up the skin; where in that pinch do you stick the needle and at what angle; do you stab yourself and push the plunger down as fast as you can to get it over with or do you slip it to yourself slowly; do you reuse the needles? Mention as much applicable information as you can think of.

Bountyman, thanks for the response, here some answers...

Typically, no I do not bruise easily and when I have one, I remember what happened.

Injection: I use a 30ga x 8mm needle with Victoza Pen. I insert needle slow and do not pinch up. I slowly inject, takes 3 or 4 seconds, i then hold after injection for a count of 10. I do not reuse needles. I typically inject in the lower portion of my belly, and I've got pleny of belly to choose...

I did get several sample needles from the pharmacy today, 4x32 & 5x31 BD's and 6x32 Novo. So I'll try some out and see what works best. Any reccomendations are welcome...

tripletmomma

tripletmomma

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been on victoza now for about 3 weeks. Im a type 1 diabetic and have been diabetic since was 10. Im also on a insulin pump and I thankfully haven't had to many negative side effects. Definitely have noticed I eat alot less. I hage had some very very mild vomiting. I have also had some nausea but nothing to server. It really makes me worried with all the possible cancer issue but so far I really like this med. You really need to do what you think is best for you. For me the possible weightloss was worth me trying the victoza. I have kids and my weight seems to be more of danger to me at this point. Im 5'4 and need to loose about 140-150 pounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users