- - - - - fasting blood sugar high blood sugar low carb

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Vincent

Vincent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not diabetic, I do not take any meds, but I am concerned....My fasting BS is regularly over 100 - 117. My diet is whole organic veggies, some fruit, healthy protein sources, nuts, seeds, small amounts of dairy, an organic egg daily, zero processed foods and fast foods, zero white flour products, and very minimal grains and wheat. My one hour post meal BS is 118-136. I also realize low carb elevates BS readings. My question is, if our goal is to maintain BS at around 85, even though my diet is healthy and nutritious, aren't the high BS readings still an issue? I mean high is high, right? I would like to hear your comments. Thanks!

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• 500 plus
  • 6,081 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
One hour postprandials are essentially meaningless when it comes to working things out, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The key part is maintaining a BG between 75 and 100 as a fasting BG and as 2 hour postprandial. If you're not achieving this, I would see a doctor for further investigation.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

Vincent

Vincent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you. But what about the things I am reading regarding people that have a low carb diet and the phenomenon of high fasting BS. Are you saying that is meaningless too? I am confused by all this...

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,843 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I'm not sure where you got the idea that a low carb diet causes higher bgs in the morning. I think you are confusing it with somethine called, Dawn Phenomenom or DP. That is something that happens to everyone. It is caused by natural hormones that are produced like cortisol, adrenaline and growth hormone. When produced they signal liver to convert stored glycogen and turn it into glucose in order to wake us up. In a normal non D then their pancreas will release a little insulin to push the glucose into the cells to be used as energy. The problem with pre diabetics and diabetics are we are deficient in insulin production so our bgs tend to go higher. Actually a lower carb diet will help prevent this because your liver stores less glycogen on a low carb diet. So one doesn't cause the other. If your fastings are regularly 100-117 you are definitely pre diabetic. As said a 2 hour bg is better than a 1 hour. Diabetics are asked to stay 120-140. Non diabetics are closer to 100 after meals.
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

Joisey

Joisey

• 500 plus
  • 346 posts
I agree. Since starting low carb, my fasting BG's are much lower. Also no juice or fruit other than a handful of berries.

NickP

NickP

• 500 plus
  • 1,895 posts
Hey Vincent, welcome to the forum!

First, have you counted how many Carbs you are eating? You say fruit and minimal wheat.....these both can add up very quickly.

Second, (IMHO) your BG numbers are very close to mine. I eat less tnan 30 Carbs per meal. So, I would say that your readings look like a typical T2 to me. Just my opinion....
Nick
Feb 17, 2010 - Initial A1C 9.3 Weight 238
May 26, 2010 - A1C 6.0
Aug 20, 2010 - A1C 5.6
Nov 19, 2010 - A1C 5.8
Mar 1, 2011- A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Jun 3, 2011 - A1C 5.7 (No Meds)
Oct 31, 2011 - A1C 5.3
Nov 6, 2012 - A1C 5.3
Feb 18, 2014- A1C 5.6 Weight 199

Current Meds:
Metformin 500mg x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fasting blood sugar, high blood sugar, low carb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users