• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

patm718

patm718

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys, type 1 diabetic here.

I've always been a slim guy, but I'm trying to add a little weight/muscle mass. I've been working out recently and trying to eat some more to get a tad bigger. I haven't been getting ideal results in this past month and a half or so, and I trying to figure out the role my diabetes in playing in this. My diabetes control is okay, not great. A1C of about 7.5~. I know that high blood sugar can cause weight loss, but I'd like to learn a little more about how that happens. How high does the blood sugar have to be and for how long until it starts to "destroy" your body fat? I've been trying to get tighter control so I can gain a little weight, so I've trying to find answers to this area of diabetes. Thanks a lot, and I appreciate any replies.

Pat

shyam

shyam

• Seniors
  • 1,030 posts
From what I understand, when the sugar levels cross around 180 the glucose in the blood starts to spill into the urine. this not only causes damage to the kidneys (extra processing) but the body is left with no option but to start burning the fat & muscle to survive. Thus the weight loss.
DX Type II Nov 2007 (219 fasting)
Diet/Exercise since Aug 2010
1stAug10 : BG 178 Fasting / A1C : 8.00, Oct'10 6.9 / Jan'11 6.4
Apr'11 6.0 / June'11 5.9 / Oct'11 5.8 / Jan'12 5.6 / Apr'12 5.3
Now between 70-125 all the time
;)

puzlnut

puzlnut

• Seniors
  • 706 posts

From what I understand, when the sugar levels cross around 180 the glucose in the blood starts to spill into the urine. this not only causes damage to the kidneys (extra processing) but the body is left with no option but to start burning the fat & muscle to survive. Thus the weight loss.

Yes, this is what I was also told. Excellent summary, shyam!
Type 2
6/10/11 A1C = 9.8 FBG = 246
8/10/11 A1C = 6.4
11/18/11 A1c = 5.6 FBG = 101
4/24/12 A1C =5.8 FBG = 109

Metformin 1500 mg. ER /day
HCTZ , Trandalapril , Toprol ER
Vit. D, ALA, EPO, Biotin

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Promise me you'll always remember---you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users