What does Diabetes 2 feel like compared to Prediabetes, would I feel it when it hapns

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
I hope that does not sound like a rude question but i'm only curious if I should turn over from the cusp of
prediabetes (supposedly) hba1c is 6.3 and Dr. said I am on the cusp or prediabetic.
If I jump the line and go to full blown diabetes will I feel anything when it happens,
will I notice it right away or will it be mostly noted on another a1c test?
Can I be diabetic 2 and not even know it?
Can metformin turn this around?
thanks for any help..

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
You can't tell how it might "feel," but for my opinion of how to avoid it, read my thread about my husband.

I was diagnosed in DKA, blood sugar in the 400 - 600's, A1c of 12.5!! and I did not feel a thing!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

NoraWI

NoraWI

• Seniors
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
  • I am a:Type 1
*SIGH* I sure wish doctors would stop calling early diabetes "pre-diabetes." It is a continuum. An A1c of 6.3% is not within the normal range. Normal is somewhere in the high 4 to mid 5 percentile (depending upon the testing lab). Metformin alone will not control your blood sugars if you don't help by exercising and limiting the carbohydrates you consume. And, yes, many have diabetes T2 for many years without knowing it. There is no line. It's just a slippery slope. It's not as if you are pre-diabetic one day and full-blown diabetic the next. But control depends entirely upon YOU. Many on this board have found ways to control their diabetes... even reversed complications. And as long as they limit carbs and exercise, they can keep their bodies close to the normal range. That does not mean they are cured. But they are under CONTROL. You can do it, too.
NoraWI
T1 since 2002, MDI since 2004
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
Yes I agree with Nora -- even though I would like to be able to think of my husband as "Pre-D!"
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
  • I am a:Type 2
Are you going to feel different?
Not one bit.

An A1c of 6.3? I'd call you a diabetic.

A new A1C will arrive and "oh joy" you're now a diabetic.

Art

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
Oh ok! So I may as well consider myself Diabetic and get it over with instead of feeling that I am always in limbo
worrying that I am going to become diabetic or hoping that when I lose 20 pounds and my aic goes down to 5 that I am
no longer diabetic but just "under control" am I getting this right then?

I am not totally convince there is no prediabetic because there has to be a place in between "normal" and "diabetic" right?
Do you really just jump from one to the other? I'm just trying to figure this all out.
I'm trying to eat less carbs but am suc a carb junkie but eat very little sugar.
I may get spiked but it never lasts long, or rarely, I cant say never, but rarely does it stay there, maybe only a few minutes or so
or up to 15 minutes...not sure that matters at all.

My insulin level was 16 and that is also on the border as 17 is the cut off.
I'm hoping that I can get all these numbers down but first I need to lose weight!

Will Metformin help me to lose weight????

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
Is there a real difference between Prediabetic and Metabolic Syndrom?
My Dr. says I have Metabollic Syndrom...is that reversible or just another form of Diabetes.

fain1

fain1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
My a1c just cam back from last wk and it's 5.8 and I'm a typeII diabetic! I've been up and down the scale, my highest was 7.6 and this is the lowest (last wk). Medications are different for all, with me, I have no appetite with metformin, for my friend, well he eats like crazy with it!
Diabetes is a personal disease and a lot of trial and error! We are each on our own journey with it. What works for one does not necessarily work for someone else.
I have two children, one in her 20's and a 16 yr old and I have taught them not to skip meals and eat whole foods, I do not want them to be unhealthy like I was when I was dx 6 yrs ago!

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
If you have hyperinsulinemia, yes, metformin should be helpful in lowering that and helping you to lose weight. But the first order of things is to modify your diet by decreasing carbohydrate intake, and exercising to cut back on the glycogen stored in your liver.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

TrickyTreeFrog

TrickyTreeFrog

• Seniors
  • 2,121 posts

Oh ok! So I may as well consider myself Diabetic and get it over with instead of feeling that I am always in limbo
worrying that I am going to become diabetic or hoping that when I lose 20 pounds and my aic goes down to 5 that I am
no longer diabetic but just "under control" am I getting this right then?

Your correct you will be in control but if you do not keep an eye on it then it can start to take control .

I am not totally convince there is no prediabetic because there has to be a place in between "normal" and "diabetic" right?
Do you really just jump from one to the other? I'm just trying to figure this all out.

There is a pre diabetic just like there is pre full blown infection....think on it:

you get a cut it turns a bit red along the edges it is "starting" to get infected...you put med cream on it and it starts to heal......you don't take care of it and it become full blown infected and causes havoc on all your body.

The only difference between an infection and diabetes is that if teated the infection will go away and clear up ...the diatetes will be controlled but will never truly go away you "must" remember it is there ...not letting it control you and keep you prisoner just keeping an eye on it on a daily bases not letting it consume your day.

I'm trying to eat less carbs but am suc a carb junkie but eat very little sugar.

The sugar is not the big enemy it is a part of it ..the "BIG" enemy is the carbs........Carbs turn into glucose the min you take a bite of any carbbie item and this glucose flow through the blood stream where the body will use it for energy.......but when your a T2 and insulin resistant your body does not balance out the extra glucose made by the amount of carbs you consumed thus high blood sugars (diabetic)........carbs crave carbs and it is basicly getting your body weened from craving so many carbs and only consuming the amount needed (which varries with each person "own personal food processing blue print"

I may get spiked but it never lasts long, or rarely, I cant say never, but rarely does it stay there, maybe only a few minutes or so
or up to 15 minutes...not sure that matters at all.

If your pre-diabetic your pancreas is already being taxed and having to work harder.....so if your pre-diabetic and you start to take control and lower your carb intake thus working and helping your pancreas out (de-stressing it) you can reduce the damages done by diabetes by years.

My insulin level was 16 and that is also on the border as 17 is the cut off.

Think on this too a bit:

You standing on a cliff edge looking down at a canyon.....your on the edge (lvl 16) and the safety of solid ground is touching the tip of your toes (lvl 17) all it would take is a good gust of wind to either take you over the edge and down the canyon or back a few steps away from the cliff edge and a bit of safety..............more carbs (closer to the edge) less carbs (further from the edge) hummm choices

I'm hoping that I can get all these numbers down but first I need to lose weight!

If you test before each meal and 2 hrs after each meal keeping a log of your BG numbers and total carbs consumed with that meal you will soon learn your body processing blue print. You can then either remove the food (carb) item completely from you diet or reduce the portion size to keep your numbers within range.....("eating to our meter").......some will use the low carb high fat protein diet to help out (I do)

Will Metformin help me to lose weight????

Each of us is unique in how medication, carbs etc affects the body so only by testing and trying things out will you know....but for many yes metformin has helped reduce the hunger pangs and for other no....but reducing your carb intake will be a sure bet at losing weight and gaining BG control....it will be a learing curve...(test, test & learn).

Wishing you the best of luck and hope you visit and post often....the suppport here is awesome!

Hugs

Da Fwog

Ability is what you're capable of doing.... Motivation determines what you do.... Attitude determines how well you do it."

“Be the captain of your ship :captain:~ take control"

DX'd Type2 - 9/8/10.......BG Doc's office 320
HB -A1C
Sept '10 - 13.8
Nov '10 - 8.2
Dec '10 - 6.5
Jan '11 - 5.8
GHb - A1C
Mar. '11 - 7.2 (or- a 5.4 HBa1c reading)
HB - A1C
Jun. '12 - 5.9
Metformin 500mg x 2 
LCHF diet and I eat to my meter

Mussakka

Mussakka

• Seniors
  • 808 posts
Before the official diagnosis, I noticed for several months that I always began to feel bad after eating typical high carb meals. It seemed to build in waves and I could also feel my mood turning sour at the same time. Also headaches, grumpiness, and a sensation in of fullness I would associate with sinus pressure, but more generalized. Then there was unquenchable thirst and skin infections, etc.

I know now that I was experiencing symptoms of acute hyperglycemia (too much blood sugar), which can make you feel terrible. I still get similar symptoms now when I overdo it. I suppose if you're very in tune with your body and you're able to notice subtle (or not so subtle) changes, you might feel something is not quite right, but I think for most of us, the progression to diabetes is slow and goes largely unnoticed until BG levels are seriously elevated.

As for pre-D, I feel it's a misnomer. It's better to say someone is at risk for diabetes, IMO. I feel you're either diabetic or not, regardless of A1C numbers, especially given that many of us long-standing diabetics who practice good control can have A1Cs below 6.0 and by that single criterion be categorized as non-diabetics. Obviously it's not the case, which is why you can't rely on a single diagnostic tool.
Diagnosed T2 in 1995
After gastric bypass in 2011 no longer on high blood pressure meds, metformin, or insulin.
BG readings are now stable around 90. I'm psyched!

puzlnut

puzlnut

• Seniors
  • 706 posts

*SIGH* I sure wish doctors would stop calling early diabetes "pre-diabetes." It is a continuum. An A1c of 6.3% is not within the normal range. Normal is somewhere in the high 4 to mid 5 percentile (depending upon the testing lab). Metformin alone will not control your blood sugars if you don't help by exercising and limiting the carbohydrates you consume. And, yes, many have diabetes T2 for many years without knowing it. There is no line. It's just a slippery slope. It's not as if you are pre-diabetic one day and full-blown diabetic the next. But control depends entirely upon YOU. Many on this board have found ways to control their diabetes... even reversed complications. And as long as they limit carbs and exercise, they can keep their bodies close to the normal range. That does not mean they are cured. But they are under CONTROL. You can do it, too.

Nora is spot on here!! "pre-diabetes" ought to be eliminated from all terminology. Instead, it is EARLY diabetes. If you are dx with EARLY diabetes (your numbers are a little out of whack, but still NOT NORMAL) there is a chance that with vigilant diet and consistent exercise you can CONTROL this disease. I personally do not beleive you can be "cured" of it EXCEPT in a few rare cases (another member on here---jillybean---has cured her diabetes by undergoing a type of gastrointestinal surgery called a DS----a duodenal switch----really fascinating). So, this is with you now and always will be. How do I know this? Because if you start eating all the carb laden foods you ate before and stop exercising then it doesn't take a crystal ball to see your future (or mine---I'm right there with you :) ). Great news is that with that careful monitoring, YOU can control it rather than IT controlling you.
Type 2
6/10/11 A1C = 9.8 FBG = 246
8/10/11 A1C = 6.4
11/18/11 A1c = 5.6 FBG = 101
4/24/12 A1C =5.8 FBG = 109

Metformin 1500 mg. ER /day
HCTZ , Trandalapril , Toprol ER
Vit. D, ALA, EPO, Biotin

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Promise me you'll always remember---you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

diaboki

diaboki

• Members
  • 255 posts
It felt exactly the same to me. It's often a silent killer.

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 7,227 posts
I have an HbA1c of 5.3 and rarely spike over 120. I weigh 118-120 pounds most of the time but guess what, I am still a Type 2 diabetic and will always be. The reason my HbA1c's are good is because I work at it everyday. I eat low carb, walk 3-4 miles most days and take metformin.I think a lot of people are afraid of crossing that invisible line, but in my opinion there is no line. Once your fastings go above normal,
75-95 it tells me that your endocrine system doesn't work correctly. Some people can lose weight and get better numbers but the pancreatic damage usually doesn't disappear. By the time most of us are dx'd our Phase 1 insulin response is pretty much shot. That is why it takes 2-3 hours to get our bgs back to normal. Also some of us also have a weakend basal insulin response. This is all due to decreased beta cell production. I would like to believe we can regenerate beta cells, but who knows. I would not worry about what label your disease has, just do your best to get that HbA1c into the normal range 4.0-5.5 or so.

metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, fish oil, biotin, occuvite and zinc

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-4 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

Joanner

Joanner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
What is the range for a normal insulin level?

Thanks.

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
jOANNER, I just now found this reply for each post!
so as far as I know the and I dont know really, all that I do know
is that 17 for my clinic is diabetes...I think I remember many mooms ago my insulin being about 3 or so but
not real sure..hope this helps.

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
Where is this thread about your husband?
I would be interested in reading it.

You can't tell how it might "feel," but for my opinion of how to avoid it, read my thread about my husband.

I was diagnosed in DKA, blood sugar in the 400 - 600's, A1c of 12.5!! and I did not feel a thing!

Azurah

Azurah

• Members
  • 332 posts
I didn't feel any different. My pre-D and D dx were about 6 months apart. I had D symptoms for awhile before the pre-D dx and the only major change between pre-D and D was a 10lb weight gain. I wasn't overweight, but I think it might've pushed me over the edge into D.

Now, I've lost the 10lbs, but I still can't eat a sugary treat without a spike in the 200's. I weigh between 108-110lbs now.
30 years old, thin type 2
Diagnosed: 6/30/11 (failed OGTT with bg around 260 at 2 hours)
A1C at diagnosis: 5.6
11/12/11 A1C (using A1CNow selfcheck): 5.2
12/19/11 A1C 5.5
4/9/12 A1C 5.5
10/22/12 A1C 5.5
Taking Metformin 500mg/3x day
History of gestational diabetes in '02

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

Cool runner

• Seniors
  • 3,007 posts
What does Diabetes 2 feel like compared to Prediabetes, would I feel it when it hapns

Yeah, you'd feel sweeter. :D

Seriously, apparently a large number of diabetics don't know that they have diabetes. So, there probably is a 50-50 chance that (a) you'd notice it or (B) you won't feel a thing. As for metformin turning it around, I recall reading somewhere that there is no clear evidence that metformin turns it around. But, it wouldn't hurt to live as if you have diabetes (as most people should probably be doing anyway) and, if you don't have an acceptably healthy lifestyle, maybe you might want to consider changing your lifestyle before you develop diabetes.

RobinP

RobinP

• Members
  • 285 posts

Linda, I have been that high before and actually higher (my meter read HI). Does that mean I was in DKA? My dr has never said anything about that.
Robin~
:marchmell

Type 2 DX 2/19/09
-C Peptide 1.0
-A1C- 9.6 3/11/09
-A1C- 8.3 8/7/09
-Metformin HCL 2000mg per day
-Synthroid 125 mcg in the morning

-Vit D deficiency- 2000 IU vit D (in addition to multivitamin)
currently following a plant based, whole foods diet, hopefully to get off all diabetes meds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users