Why am I gaining weight still? Does Metformin cause weight gain????

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
Since i've been so diligent with eating and been taking Metformin for about 3 weeks now.
Though I am only taking 3/4 (going to 500 mgs in another day or two) of a 500 mg pill and my blood sugar numbers have been even
in the 80's and very little fast foods, I was blown away when I stepped on the scale this a.m.
and I have gained two pounds!!!!!

I thought low carb helped you to lose weight and i've been doing really good at it
and doing cardio, running even, on my treadmill and it felt good!. Have not been using
any weights yet so it isnt muscle, I wish...I'm just really bummed to see the scale going up
or at least if it was the same I would of been happy but nooooooooo...

I've been active more in the house too, finding projects to do instead of sitting on my butt..
I dont know happened...can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong please..
I thought lower blood sugar numbers meant losing weight.
I've not had a BS in a week over 109 and my a.m. fastings have been 93 to 100 everyday and since I stopped
taking thyroid pill in the morning an hour later my BS has only gone up 4 numbers, stayed the same and one day
it was even lower!
Ok well you get the idea....ive done everything I can to lower my numbers and its working so WOW really bummed
to see the weight gain...cant imagine why :eek:

Do you think Metformin can cause weight gain too?
I'm so bummed and disappointed for all my hard work :confused:

sweetstar

sweetstar

• 500 plus
  • 1,946 posts
  • LocationMaryland's Eastern Shore
  • I am a:Type 2
I have always been told that Metformin reduces appetite and therefor many taking this drug lose weight.
You mentioned that you stopped taking your thyroid medication. That may be why you gained a couple of pounds.
I wouldn't worry too much about 2 pounds. I gain and lose 2 or 3 pounds all of the time. If you are concerned you
might want to talk to your doctor about it.
Good luck. You are doing a great job with controlling your BG, so keep up the good work.
Most Recent A1C 1/14 5.6
7/13 5.7
2/13 5.8
9/12 5.8
5/12 5.4
12/11 5.7
7/11 5.7
3/11 5.6
8/10 5.9
11/10 6.2
Diabetes Med
Metformin 1000mg twice a day.

Diagnosed October 1998

I learn something new everyday!!

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,948 posts
Metformin usually helps people lose weight, so I don't think that is the reason. Plus you are taking a very small dose. Many people when their bgs are very high will lose weight because the glucose they get from carbs cannot be pushed into the cells for energy. As you get your bg under control more glucose is being pushed into the cells. So if you lost weight initially because of your diabetes you may regain that weight. The other thing may be to carefully look at your low carb diet. If you are eating too much cheese, cream or nuts it could add on the pounds. Everyone responds differently to food. How much weight have you gained and what do you weigh, now?
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

jenet

jenet

• 500 plus
  • 710 posts
Congrats on the lower numbers! Good job! :)

Regarding the weight issue, lower BG means that less glucose is free-floating in your blood stream unused and then passing out of your body in your urine. If your BG numbers are lower, your body is absorbing any extra glucose instead of discarding it as waste. In effect, this is the opposite of "diabulemia", where people let their numbers go high (and cause horrific damage to their bodies) in an effort to lose weight. Lower BG numbers do not mean automatic weight loss. :(

Some people find low carb eating much more satisfying to their appetite, and end up eating far less then they did before when eating "high carb". It has been said around here (paraphrasing) "high carb makes you hungry and leads to eating a lot more than you need", which causes weight gain".

Low carb may lead to weight loss, if the individual not only was previously eating carbs, but was eating far more than they needed to sustain a healthy weight. (Eventually, it always comes back to calories and portion control, one way or another.)

You might consider cutting out ALL fast foods for at least a little while, whether you eat low carb or not. Unless one is very careful in choosing salads, even some of those are not necessarily a good choice.

Another thing you might try is posting a new thread asking some of the low-carbers here to take a look at a couple days' worth of food logs (what you ate and when - all meals and snacks) to see if they have any comments to help you in further reducing your carbs. Perhaps there may be some "hidden" carbs you are not aware of, that they could help you spot and suggest new choices to replace those carbs.

Just a couple of thoughts, hoping something might click... :)
The above is my personal opinion, and Your Mileage May Vary. ;)
  • May 2 1995 - "D" Day
  • Feb 22 2006 - Animas 1250 (Silver) - Later Upgraded to 2020
  • May 11 2007 - Guardian REAL-Time (MiniLink)
  • May 16 2007 - Animas 2020 (Silver) - Pump Failed Aug 22 2011
  • Sep 08 2011 - Animas Ping (Silver)
  • Sep 22 2011 - DexCom 7+
  • Dec ?? 2012 - DexCom G4 (Pink)

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
What I meant about the thyroid med is that I stopped taking it in the morning and started
taking it at night. I do contiinue to take my thyroid pill and will forever :(
I guess I was just shocked to see the number on the scale go UP instead of at least stay the same..
I guess 2 pounds isnt that much, could be constipation or water weight, but was still discouraged to
see it go up, pooey, I will carry on nonetheless sigh, woe is me..

puzlnut

puzlnut

• 500 plus
  • 706 posts
I'm sorry, jamieileana----I know how extremely frustrating to work at something so hard and see no positive results. However, that is NOT the case with you. :) You have done a great job with getting those blood sugar numbers into great range. You should be really proud of yourself. As for the weight----2 pounds is nothing. It could easily be from hormones from your cycle (I gain a few pounds at menstruation and also at ovulation :( ) . Could also be that you are mildly constipated.

I do agree with other posters in that you should prob. give up ALL fast food, at least for a while, and see how that affects both your blood sugar and your weight. I am finding that even foods that should not affect me greatly sometimes do. I have no idea why and I think it stinks, but it doesn't matter what I think---this is just the way it is. So I just can't eat those foods anymore.

I have had many people ask me how much weight I have lost and the answer is I don't exactly know. I don't weigh myself anymore. I go back to the doc in mid-November and I will be weighed then. Until then I go by the way my clothes are fitting (although I can pretty accurately approximate based on how those clothes are fitting). This is just something that I have decided to do so that I would not obsess over a slight gain. (I know me and I know that this is something I could very easily do). While I do eat very low carb MOST of the time, I do sometimes indulge. But I am always mindful of how many calories I am consuming. I watch and count my carbs very carefully, but the calories I just don't sweat as much. That said, I do not eat many sweet things made with artificial sweeteners b/c I do need to keep my total caloric intake below a certain amount to achieve some weight loss. So, I guess I would just encourage to keep on keeping on and tighten up slightly on your food intake. It will come off---it also depends on how much you have to lose. If it is just a small amount then it will usually come off slower too.
Type 2
6/10/11 A1C = 9.8 FBG = 246
8/10/11 A1C = 6.4
11/18/11 A1c = 5.6 FBG = 101
4/24/12 A1C =5.8 FBG = 109

Metformin 1500 mg. ER /day
HCTZ , Trandalapril , Toprol ER
Vit. D, ALA, EPO, Biotin

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Promise me you'll always remember---you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
I dont quite understand what this means? Is this something good or bad or neither?
" lower BG means that less glucose is free-floating in your blood stream unused and then passing out of your body in your urine. If your BG numbers are lower, your body is absorbing any extra glucose instead of discarding it as waste" this sounds kind of icky, lol...
I will keep on keeping on that for sure. I have a few weeks worth of food log that I can go to low carb forum and post and ask for advice.
I dont count anything anymore, got tired of it and nothing came of it except I did learn alot of what foods raise me up and sadly my faves like those very smal DQ blizzards, ohhh maaaan, just thinking of one makes me drool, lol, and cake! ok, I best get to my basement and treadmill..geeeesh...I will continue on my path.
Do you think taking metformin at evening is helping or taking during the day more helpful or same? i take with my evening meal a the moment..

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
Maybe that is the way to go, maybe i will throw my scale into the garage for now, lol..
I am 5'2 and I weigh 183.8 as of this a.m. and the other day I was 181 :(
I just started working out this week so I know it is too soon for that but i've been pretty darned
diligent in my eating...My husband does all the cooking and he knows my needs to eat and cooks everything
low carb, whole grain and low fat meats...i will try to reduce some portion sizes at the least for my next quest.
I need to drop a good 30 pounds for now to get back to 150, then even lower then that of course to maybe 130
and I think that that is a good weight for me. My fat so to speak is pretty evenly distributed so if I tell someone I need
to lose weight they laugh at me, lol, they dont see me as fat or overweight, but have no clue as to what lurks under my
oversized tshirts and stretch pants, ewwww, lol, baaad wardrobe but nothing else fits me anymore :(
been dying to get back into my old clothes from just last summer even!
thanks for the peptalk, I needed it!

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
p.s. i've never losed any weight from diabetes. I guess i am metabolic syndrome if that makes any difference in any of this.
My Dr. thought the Metformin may help me to lose some weight because i've been unable to drop even a pound with dieting alone..
I have to keep going on though...my new numbers have been inspiring me!
when i do eat fast food it is usually only half a bun and a few fries..
I went to tacobell the other day as an emergency and ordered a tortilla with chicken and fresco sauce only in it and of course a cheese
roll up but only for a few bites cause I love them things!
so I didnt even eat the full burrito. I think the Met is helping a tiny bit with appetite control cause i've gone over 3 hours between meals
which is NOT like me! well thanks again for your help!

jenet

jenet

• 500 plus
  • 710 posts

I dont quite understand what this means? Is this something good or bad or neither?
" lower BG means that less glucose is free-floating in your blood stream unused and then passing out of your body in your urine. If your BG numbers are lower, your body is absorbing any extra glucose instead of discarding it as waste" this sounds kind of icky, lol...

Sorry I was less than clear. :o Let me try a less "anatomically-correct" way of answering the original question: :)

Lower BG numbers mean your body is using more of the glucose available to it, leaving less in in your blood to be measured by your finger stick/meter. The additional glucose that is now getting used up by your body (instead of being measured in your BG number) is going to do one of two things: either get burned up as energy while you do something :) or get stored as fat for future use. :(

That being said, it very well may be water weight or some other temporary weight gain that will fall off again in a few days. :)
  • May 2 1995 - "D" Day

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
THE Extra glucose stored as fat?~! :mad: dangit, so not fair..
Is there a way to direct it for energy or does it have a mind of it's own, lol.

puzlnut

puzlnut

• 500 plus
  • 706 posts

THE Extra glucose stored as fat?~! :mad: dangit, so not fair..
Is there a way to direct it for energy or does it have a mind of it's own, lol.

My friend, if you ever get that one figured out you will be as rich as Bill Gates!! :D

Yes, it is a delicate balancing act but I have found that for me if I eat low carb and moderate to high fat that so far that is working for me. People are shocked when I tell them I do not restrict butter----but that is b/c I know that the butter is what my body will use to burn for energy since I have not given it carbs to use as a fuel source. I don't know why our bodies prefer glucose/carbs for the fuel but I know that these 2 things are the easiest for our bodies to convert to energy. Takes us much longer to process and digest fats and proteins.
Type 2
6/10/11 A1C = 9.8 FBG = 246
8/10/11 A1C = 6.4
11/18/11 A1c = 5.6 FBG = 101
4/24/12 A1C =5.8 FBG = 109

Metformin 1500 mg. ER /day
HCTZ , Trandalapril , Toprol ER
Vit. D, ALA, EPO, Biotin

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Promise me you'll always remember---you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

Lloyd

Lloyd

• 500 plus
  • 1,902 posts
When I first started on a pump, my glucose dropped from a 138 average to 99 in about 10 days. My hunger was greatly reduced. I decided maybe I could lose some weight, now that I was not as hungry. I dropped my daily carbohydrate intake from 180 a day to 80. I lost 35 pounds in 8 months, and have kept it off for 3 1/2 years now. Carbohydrate reduction is also a huge help in glucose control, see my A1c's below in my signature file.

I am on the max dosage of metformin, and on novolog. I tried going without metformin when I first went on a pump, within 3 weeks I needed twice as much insulin to get the same results. I decided that was not a good tradeoff, and resumed metformin.

-Lloyd

2014 A1c 5.4 5.6 5.8   2013 5.3 4.9 5.2 5.2
2012 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0
2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4
2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9
2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<---Pump 6.9 (Mix)
2006 (Lantus) 7.8 8.5 8.7 7.1
2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)

jenet

jenet

• 500 plus
  • 710 posts
It definitely has a mind of its own. You can try exercising for hours every day, but I don't have the extra hours to do that on a daily basis. :o I had a personal trainer many years ago tell me that 3-4 days/week is good for maintaining, but to lose weight required 6 days/week of some kind of workout/exercise/sports. :(

I think the easiest way, at least for me, is to reduce the glucose before it ever hits my body:
less carbs in = less extra glucose to be stored as fat

This is not something anyone ever wants to do until they run into hard cold facts (inability to manage BG, health problems or lose weight), but really, most people eat out of habit (and out of emotions), and we can change our habits. Start by removing ALL bread, pasta, potatoes and rice - and NO fast food, except maybe a nice grilled chicken salad (although I have read people's posts here about eating the burger without the bun, the taco without the shell, etc.) You need to start by being ruthless with getting rid of all those extra carbs. There are lots of other things to eat that won't "gift" you with extra blood sugar, which ends up as fat in many of us.

Personal story: in the last three weeks, I have reduced my carbs by roughly 30% and lost 6 pounds. (I have plenty more to lose.) I didn't give up all carbs, and I am still eating more carbs than most "very low carbers" do. Sample day (69 carbs total):

Breakfast: 2 slices pre-sliced monterey jack cheese (0 carb), 8 oz. watermelon (16 carb) - some people do better with berries
Snack: low-sodium V8, small can (7 carb)
Lunch: prepackaged cobb salad which includes one barely enough salad dressing packet (5 carb)
Snack: low-sodium V8, small can (7 carb)
Dinner: chicken pot pie (34 carb) - yes I "cheated" on the pie crust, but it's accounted for in my daily carb plan

Dinner varies from 32-37 carbs, based on what frozen entree or dinner I choose. The rest has been the same mostly, day to day, because those are foods I really enjoy and find satisfying. When watermelon is gone, I will substitute some other fruit that my meter shows does not cause a large spike.

All of my food came out of packages, and all of the packages had carb counts conveniently labeled, except the watermelon, which had ounces I could translate to carbs using a pocket-sized Calorie King Calorie, Fat and CARB Counting book. This is what works for me (at the moment). You need to find whatever works for you, to incorporate a different way of eating into your life. Try and think of it as a culinary adventure - an exploration of the many different foods available - like you are the next Food Star on the Food Network or Cooking Channel. ;)
  • May 2 1995 - "D" Day

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,948 posts
We are about the same height. I am 5'3.5. At my heaviest in my late 40's I was close to 200 pounds. I am now 118-120 most days. I went from a size 16 to a size 4. I have to take the maximum dose of metformin which is 2550. I take it in 3 doses. One 850 when I wake up, one 850 around 10 am and the last 850 around 11 pm. Metformin works in the liver so it really doesn't allow you to eat extra carbs. I noticed on another thread you mentioned eating Dreamfields pasta. That is not low carb or low calorie. So you may want to look closer at what you are eating, especially the whole grains. Before I was dx'd with diabetes I got my weight down to 148 and was happy with it. But once I gave up wheat and whole grains I was able to drop another 30 pounds. There is a new book out by Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist called, "Wheat Belly". He believes a lot of weight gain, especially in the belly area is due to eating wheat. He has a Wheat Belly Blog, which gives you lots of information, just google it. You say your husband cooks all your food but since he is not diabetic he may not understand the relation to carbs to bg rise and weight gain.
metformin 2550 mg
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
well just to WHINE some more here:
I am ALWAYS hungry! If I do not eat alot of food at one meal you can bet i will be back
in an hour or two for MORE food! That is probably my biggest problem.
When I am hungry I get hypoglycemic FEELINGS, shaky, crabby, moody, emotional, vision problems,
cry, etc....and my BS can be 120 at this feeling...so I dont know how to win anymore.
If I cut even more carbs I am going to have nothing left to eat!
I've already boxed myself into a corner with what I can and cannot eat.
I refuse to eat seafood and I dont like nuts but cashews and peanuts, veggies I only eat are
greenbeans, peasn, carrot and corn..I dont even know what else there is to eat!
I eat a lot of meat though, maybe too much. My husband makes a mix with water chestnuts and onions
and it is soooo good but I need something else with it???? a veggie, peas? that is not balanced at all..
so I reach for a carb slice of bread or dreamfields as a filler...and half a glass of milk anymore instead of
a huge old glass of milk, really miss that!
I read that even if it is carbs or white flour and it doesnt raise your BS that it is ok to eat it????
I have to keep looking uggggh...I feel the need for carbs when I spend 20 to 30 minutes on treadmill or I wont have
energy to get through it..
I wish I could never eat another carb for the rest of my life (except pizza) i've given up my fave mashed potatoes
and DQ, dang what more can I do to feel like living, just kidding..my healt ismore important then that!
I willkeep trying to figure it out, sigh..thanks for all the replies and all the help!!!!
I do only eat about 20 carbs a meal though, just for the record.

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
I'm curious as to why you take Met 3 times a day?
What about the ER isnt that only needed once a day?
Maybe I need to get up to 500 twice a day instead of once a day?
Maybe Met wont even help me lose weight, with my luck I will be one of them
that it doesnt do that for...Ok, I need to go eat I can feel my hunger moodiness coming on
and during that time I am subject to shooting off my mouth in a way I would never normally dream of doing!
Thanks so much for your help..believe me I take everything everyone tells me seriously!

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
Well I checked my BS after last post about half an hour or so ago and i was shocked to see it was 76!!!
dang no wonder I felt so icky...I tried not to eat carbs so i had this meat mix my hubby made with steak,
onions, green beans, celery and onions and on the side I had cottage cheese..ok so I still feel icky, I feel
the need to eat more food still..oh dang I forgot to add that because it was so low that I took advantage of
it and had some milk! I LOVE MILK but not almond milk...I think I will have a low carb yogurt too to see if hat helps fill me up.
I need to go do my treadmill workout and I dont feel full enough to do it, I cant feel hypoglycemic when I need to exercise..

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,948 posts
I need the full amount of metformin 2550 mg to control the liver dumps I get. I found that by expermenting with the timing I could lowr my bgs. I am very sensitive to carbs so I have to limit them. The more carbs I eat the hugrier I get. So I have to avoid the carbs. I know it is hard at first, but you have to work through it. As far as the low symptoms, this happens to all of us. Your body is used to higher bgs so as it drops your body rebells, it wants the higher numbers back. A real low is under 70, so even if you feel low you really aren't. You say you eat a lot of protein, that coud be the problem with the weight gain. If you eat more than your body needs it will store it as fat.
metformin 2550 mg
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
so how does one know they have "liver dumps"? i've not heard of that before so curious again.
Today my fasting was back down to it's pretty standard 100, and hour later up to 110 :(
where last week an hour later it was going down instead of up...gosh this certainly is an unpredictable mess
who'd thunk it..No one said it was going to be easy though now did they?
I'm trying to cut back on my protein but its my main filler as I dont know what else to eat.
I also did cut back on carbs this a.m. but had one slice of bread.

I have some ice creams on a stick, the kind with the vanilla ice cream and the hard chocolate outside.
I buy them and have one daily as a treat..I cant give up everything at once right, or is that an excuse.
I guess if my life depended on it I could/would....i've got to work out these kinks dang its hard cause I
dont like alot of foods, very picky eater and i've learned to like brocolli, strawberry and blueberries but not much else yet.
Well thanks for helping me out here and last night I graduated to my first big ole 500 mg metformin and nothing happened! yaaaay!
I just wish I could drop a few pounds cause that would be soooo motivating...i'm still at that 183 where I went up to the other day when
I said I gained 2 pounds....I was at 181 before that :( poopy ole fat!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users