- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Cookie

Cookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
I know that there are people here who will know this!!

I've been asked at work to take my mini-bus test so that I can drive groups of kids about (I'm a Primary Teacher) but there is something in the back of my mind that I'm not allowed to drive one, due to my diabetes?

Is this correct?
Type 1 diabetic since 18 June 2003
:itsme::itsme::itsme:

Belinda

Belinda

• Seniors
  • 2,360 posts
I use to drive one but know they tequire a medical card to go with the license to drive so I am not sure if you can or not. Luckily enough I no longer work for the HeadStart program where teachers were required to obtain their CDL.
Posted Image Belinda

"- work as if you don't need money, - love as if you've never been hurt, -
dance, as if nobody can see you, - sing, as if no one can hear, - live, as
if the Earth was a heaven."

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,782 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
They cannot prohibit you from getting the license based solely on being diabetic as that is grounds for a lawsuit on discrimination. However, they can make you prove that you are under total control by either having your doctor prove that you are or have you see a doctor of thier choice and have them look at your test results.

Middle Aged Man

Middle Aged Man

• Members
  • 322 posts

I know that there are people here who will know this!!

I've been asked at work to take my mini-bus test so that I can drive groups of kids about (I'm a Primary Teacher) but there is something in the back of my mind that I'm not allowed to drive one, due to my diabetes?

Is this correct?

You're in Scotland, so the laws may be different from those of us in the USA. Here it would be a function of what state laws apply to you. I understand that a type 1 diabetic cannot fly a plane in this state (Virginia), but that's about it.

I really don't know much of anything about Scottish law, and wonder if anyone else here could answer with certainty. You might want to call your local government anonymously or check your government websites for that info.

I am "Middle Aged Man." Able to climb tall buildings with the help of an elevator. Adept at filling out government forms and finding tax breaks. Faster than a pet rock. With strength far beyond that of mortal hamsters. Look . . . asleep on the couch . . . it's a rock. It's a sack of potatoes. No, it's Middle Aged Man!!!!!

T2 diagnosed November, 2004 - Taking Metformin and Actos

Wishing Carwy great success in a new life and the defeat of cancer.

BJC411

BJC411

• Members
  • 115 posts
Im not allowed to get my CDL here in WA. They said since I was insulin dependent Im not allowed.

LauRa Lu

LauRa Lu

• Seniors
  • 1,217 posts
In the UK I think diabetics arnt allowed to drive regular busses. But that's just what I seem to remember being told when I was diagnosed, so I may be wrong. I remember it quite clearly though.

Edit.....

just found this

http://www.diabetes....m/D1driving.htm

:hahaha: :bebored::sheep:
----------------------------

The pages I've turned are the lessons I've learned - The rest is still unwritten..

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5

Driving large goods vehicles and passenger carrying vehicles
People whose diabetes is treated by diet alone or diet and tablets are normally allowed to hold LGV and PCV licences, provided they are otherwise in good health. (Until 1991 these were known as heavy goods vehicles [HGV] and public service vehicles [PSV].)
People treated with insulin are not allowed to hold these licences. If you currently hold such a licence and start using insulin, you must inform the DVLA and stop driving the vehicle immediately. The only exception is for the small number of people who had insulin treated diabetes and were issued with such a licence before April 1991 when the law changed.

http://www.diabetes....ads/driving.doc

EDIT: didn't see the end of LL's post until I put this one up, they might be the same thing.
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

valc3

valc3

• Seniors
  • 3,169 posts
I am a licensed school bus driver(72 passenger)I have a CDL and am on insulin. My state requires a written statement from my physician showing my treatment and that I manage not to have hypos. CDL license is not required for driving the little bus(at least not in Vermont)

My employer is aware that I am a diabetic and on insulin.
Val

Take care of your body. Where else are you going to live?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users