• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

natalia

natalia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi everyone!

I am new here as I have just been diagnosed with pre-diabetes and I wondered whether anyone else suffers from severe brain fog? My brain fog and headaches are constant and so debilitating. I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and adrenal fatigue. I am now taking adrenal support (hydrocortisone 25 mg and 10mg DHEA) and I am on thyroid meds. I always presumed my brain fog was related to my thyroid but I have never managed to optimise my thyroid meds (despite trying so many different types of meds and dosages) and my doctor now feels that might be because my blood glucose levels are too high, meaning there isn't enough glucose present in the cells for the thyroid hormone to work effectively. The brain fog is by far my worst symptom (I also suffer from body pain & frequent urination). I was just wondering whether anyone else with pre-diabetes has struggled with the brain fog too? I have just started a diabetic diet and a whole load of supplements to try and reverse the pre-diabetes before it progresses. Any info anyone can give me on the link between pre-diabetes and brain fog would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Nat

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 7,007 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Brain fog can be caused by a lot of things. When I went through menopause the differing hormone levels caused brain fog. All my friends joked it was Estrogen Fog. Since you have problems with your thyroid it could be causing it. Also when I was on Statins for cholesterol I suffered severe brain fog. I'm not sure if diabeties produces brain fog but severe spikes and big crashes could be causing it. How high do your bgs go?
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

ilyaberaha

ilyaberaha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Your Pre-Diabetes is caused by the thyroid medication as the thyroid hormone, as well as estrogen and noradrenaline (your adrenal meds) is thermogenic one. Same goes for people with PCOS and DT3. Both hormones increase BAT(Brown Adipose Tissue) thermogenesis and increase plasma glucose. Did you have the brain fog before starting thyroid and adrenal meds? The main problem remains your Hashimoto Thyroiditis. How are your T3 and T4 levels as in hypothyroidism the problem arises from the inability of T3 to transfer into T4. Haven't dwelt on the matter but any non-hormonal path to bolster this transition could be helpful. Do you drink a lot cold drinks? If yes, swap them completely for hot ones as tea, unsweetened coffee, soy milk etc. Avoid carbohydrates ie. sugars of any kind, high omega 3 PUFA diet could offer benefits as well as NO(Nitric Oxide) supplements, the ones used by bodybuilders. And just as a suggestion, have you tried regular sauna (heat acclimation)? Interested in any development you have. Post or email if you wish.

ilyaberaha

ilyaberaha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
@jwags
Pretty impressive and would say admirable med and supplement array resp. expressed in the perfect Hb1c, just the Coconut oil doesn't fit in my scheme. Have you considered using Carlson Lab Lemon scented Fish Oil (PUFA) on your salads instead?

natalia

natalia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Brain fog can be caused by a lot of things. When I went through menopause the differing hormone levels caused brain fog. All my friends joked it was Estrogen Fog. Since you have problems with your thyroid it could be causing it. Also when I was on Statins for cholesterol I suffered severe brain fog. I'm not sure if diabeties produces brain fog but severe spikes and big crashes could be causing it. How high do your bgs go?

Hi, so sorry you had terrible brain fog after menopause. I am 27 but I know my female hormones are up the creek too but my doctor feels they may well balance out when my thyroid is under control. My highest blood glucose levels are around 157 mg/dL (8.7 mmol/L). My fasting levels are around 113 mg/dL (6.3). Embracing a no carb, no sugar diet now and still working to optimise my thyroid meds. Thanks for the thoughts!

natalia

natalia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Your Pre-Diabetes is caused by the thyroid medication as the thyroid hormone, as well as estrogen and noradrenaline (your adrenal meds) is thermogenic one. Same goes for people with PCOS and DT3. Both hormones increase BAT(Brown Adipose Tissue) thermogenesis and increase plasma glucose. Did you have the brain fog before starting thyroid and adrenal meds? The main problem remains your Hashimoto Thyroiditis. How are your T3 and T4 levels as in hypothyroidism the problem arises from the inability of T3 to transfer into T4. Haven't dwelt on the matter but any non-hormonal path to bolster this transition could be helpful. Do you drink a lot cold drinks? If yes, swap them completely for hot ones as tea, unsweetened coffee, soy milk etc. Avoid carbohydrates ie. sugars of any kind, high omega 3 PUFA diet could offer benefits as well as NO(Nitric Oxide) supplements, the ones used by bodybuilders. And just as a suggestion, have you tried regular sauna (heat acclimation)? Interested in any development you have. Post or email if you wish.

Hi, thank you so much for your really useful thoughts. I was interested to hear that you think my thyroid/adrenal meds could be responsible for my high blood sugar levels. My doctor feels that the blood sugar issues are a result of having an undertreated thyroid/adrenal condition for so long. He is hoping that by following a pre-diabetic diet & by optimising my thyroid/adrenal meds I should be able to get blood sugar back under control. I haven't been treated properly for my thyroid for years. I did SO badly on T4 medication and so I have now switched to pure T3 and although I am doing better, I still have a long way to go before I find my optimum dose. I will definitely avoid carbs & sugar now & also foods containing nitrates - thank you for the really valuable info! Yes, brain fog came before I started thyroid meds but it does sound it's caused by my thyroid problem. If I have high blood sugar readings, does that mean my brain isn't getting the glucose it needs to function properly as it is pooling in the blood and not getting into the cells? Many thanks!!

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 7,007 posts
A lot of diabetics seem to have problem with hormone levels including adrenal hormones. Many of us seem to get bg spikes early in the morning from adrenaline and cortisol production. Trying to balance out the hormones is probably the best idea. A low carb diet is a probably a good start. Try to eliminate as many grains as you can as well as sugar. For some of us grains convert to glucose faster than sugar. As far as the Coconut Oil, the saturated fat has been wonderful for my HDL. It is almost 100 which is a good marker for heart health. It has also let me achieve a much lower weight range and I have been able to keep it there with CO. It is also great for my bgs and helps stabalise my bgs inbetween meals. I do think fats get a bad rap. I do take fish oil too, when I remember.
metformin 2550 mg
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

natalia

natalia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks so much Jwags... hopefully on my way to balancing out my crazy endocrine system and in the mean time on a low carb/no grain/no sugar diet so hoping that will help to stabilize my blood sugar. Thank you for the advice on coconut oil. I have heard really good things about it so I will look in to it. Many thanks again.

Nat

sufferer15

sufferer15

• 500 plus
  • 290 posts
I think I have bad brain fog from sleep apnea; my thyroid levels are low but normal and I have some high blood sugar problems
I've tried everything, supplements, machines to breathe, it's so difficult and it is destroying my career

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 7,007 posts
I also found when I first started a lower carb diet, my body rebelled a little. I was a carb addict and my carb of choice was usually whole grain bread. Taking that out of my diet created a void in my diet and I would often feel like I had low blood sugar when I really didn't. I now always carry nuts or cheese sticks to get me through these moments.
metformin 2550 mg
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,987 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
Before diagnosis, I suffered from what I jokingly called my "forties fog." I now know this was due in large part to high blood sugars. Once my levels normalized, my thinking cleared as well.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users