• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

littlebuddy

littlebuddy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Hey all,

I would like to know some people's opinions on what they think is the best glucometer on the market right now. I currently have an Accu-Chek Active and it is pretty good. I would like to know if anyone has one that they think is better.

My second question is when the heck are they going to make a meter that doesn't require blood? I've been told that there are some meters that are available that test your blood glucose without the need for blood. These are probably really expensive but if anyone knows a link to a web page or a name brand it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
littlebuddy

Middle Aged Man

Middle Aged Man

• Members
  • 322 posts
I have an Ascensia Breeze, and it's nice, but VERY bulky and uses the 10-probe discs that are a bit pricey to replace.

I just got a Freestyle Flash but haven't taken the time to read all the instructions yet.

I am "Middle Aged Man." Able to climb tall buildings with the help of an elevator. Adept at filling out government forms and finding tax breaks. Faster than a pet rock. With strength far beyond that of mortal hamsters. Look . . . asleep on the couch . . . it's a rock. It's a sack of potatoes. No, it's Middle Aged Man!!!!!

T2 diagnosed November, 2004 - Taking Metformin and Actos

Wishing Carwy great success in a new life and the defeat of cancer.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,783 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I use the One Touch UltraSmart and love it. It has many very nice advanced features with it.

As for the non blood ones, those aren't accurate enough yet. The problem is the most accurate way is real blood. In trials they "watches" and other ones have can be off by quite a bit if not worn properly. A watch can turn on your wrist and be further away from what it needs to read and give you an innaccurate reading. Also, there has been talk that they produce a rash at thier site from just being worn there. So the technology just hasn't caught up with it yet.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

gettingby

gettingby

• Seniors
  • 10,040 posts
ONe Touch Ultra gal here !!! I like it best of all of the ones I have tried (believe me, I've tried alot of them, lol).

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

valc3

valc3

• Seniors
  • 3,169 posts
I use the OneTouch Ultra and I really like it. The advanced features are really nice.
Val

Take care of your body. Where else are you going to live?

jeggeman31

jeggeman31

• Seniors
  • 2,307 posts

I use the One Touch UltraSmart

I use to used the One Touch Ultra but waisted to many strips. Started the count down before the strip was full of blood. I changed to the Freestyle Flash, where the coutdown does not start until it has enough blood.
Jim
:egg:
Diagnosed April 1990
Pumping with my Omni Pod

Last A1C 10.5 ( May 2012 )
Diabetes & Endocrinology Center Of Ohio Website

The opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
those of my wife who runs our house and makes more important decisions
than I do

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,783 posts
It's a touch with the Ultra. I use to have that problem and slightly still do. But it's not too bad anymore, but I do agree it's a problem with it starting before it's full of blood.

●Police Dispatcher

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

Starlight

Starlight

• Members
  • 157 posts
I just brought the accu-chek integra. I so far, like it. Loaded drum with strips, memory, 7 day average..infra red..its special compared to my stinkin old meter. :laugh:

lgvincent

lgvincent

• Seniors
  • 4,978 posts
I like the Accu-Chek Complete. It allows me to record injections and has been very helpful in helping me overcome problems in that area. Before I started using it, I would sometimes skip an injection or forget I had taken one and take a second one (not good). It is large, slow, and expensive, but it has a 1,000 input memory. The memory is not as large as the OneTouch UltraSmart but I've found it to be more accurate than that meter when I've compared them against lab results.

With a name like littlebuddy, I'm guessing your a Gilligan's Island fan?
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts
Freestyle Flash here. Small, fast test time, lights, and easy to use.

jeggeman31

jeggeman31

• Seniors
  • 2,307 posts

Small, fast and easy to use.

I like that in a woman, I mean my freestyle :nerd:
Jim
Diagnosed April 1990
Pumping with my Omni Pod

than I do

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,783 posts

I like that in a woman, I mean my freestyle :nerd:

Ok, somebody pick me up. I fell outta my chair on that one laughing. Jeg, I like the way you think.

●Police Dispatcher

gettingby

gettingby

• Seniors
  • 10,040 posts

I use to used the One Touch Ultra but waisted to many strips. Started the count down before the strip was full of blood. I changed to the Freestyle Flash, where the coutdown does not start until it has enough blood.

Have not had this problem with my Ultra (knock on wood).

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

christie

christie

• Seniors
  • 620 posts
i too say freestyle flash,i like the lights it has,very helpful for middle of the night testing great for when you don't want to turn the light on. there are several small things i'd like changed on the flash though,i'd like the lancet holder to be a little bigger mine keeps falling out into my purse. but overall i think its great.

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5
My meter and doser are one unit, so One Touch, innocent young man here.

check out:

http://www.diabetesf...read.php?t=4754
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

Thomas

Thomas

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I use the One Touch Ultra and have had no problems, and the advanced features are nice.

littlebuddy

littlebuddy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I have been doing some research into the One Touch Ultra Smart and it does seem like a great meter. I really like the fact that you can input how much insulin you injected into the meter. This is especially important for me since I sometimes forget if I even took my morning injection.

I have decided to get one but here is my problem and may be you guys can give me some advice. As you know I live in Taiwan. I have been to many pharmacies and the price for the meter is about 200 Canadian dollars, alot of money, 50 strips go for about 35 Canadian. I called the Taiwanese are of Johnson and Johnson and they told me that there is no way I can get a free meter. I remember when I lived in Canada the companies were more than willing to give you a free meter. I remeber getiing an InDuo for free and being so happy about it.

There logic behind it is because Taiwanese diabetics rarely test themselves for there BG, around once a month he says. I then told the man that I have one student who is diabetic and I test him every day, and this is a 6 year old kid with type 1 diabetes. After I explain this to him he is a little taken aback and says he'll call his superviser and get back to me.

The call back: Turns out the One Touch Ultra is unavailable in Taiwan through the Taiwanese arm of Johnson and Johnson. The models I must have seen were probably imported from America or Canada so says the Johnson and Johnson representative. He says that some foreigners choose to buy these meters because of the advanced features, well duh! Also because they use the same strips as the One Touch Ultra. The reason being it's an all English interface and it is somewhat like a PDA, that's why Taiwan doesn't carry them. So no meter for me. Unless I cough up the bucks.

Any suggestions as to how I can get a free meter in Taiwan would be great.
Desperately seeking a One Touch Ultra Smart.

littlebuddy

lgvincent

lgvincent

• Seniors
  • 4,978 posts

I have been doing some research into the One Touch Ultra Smart and it does seem like a great meter. I really like the fact that you can input how much insulin you injected into the meter. This is especially important for me since I sometimes forget if I even took my morning injection.

I have decided to get one but here is my problem and may be you guys can give me some advice. As you know I live in Taiwan. I have been to many pharmacies and the price for the meter is about 200 Canadian dollars, alot of money, 50 strips go for about 35 Canadian. I called the Taiwanese are of Johnson and Johnson and they told me that there is no way I can get a free meter. I remember when I lived in Canada the companies were more than willing to give you a free meter. I remeber getiing an InDuo for free and being so happy about it.

There logic behind it is because Taiwanese diabetics rarely test themselves for there BG, around once a month he says. I then told the man that I have one student who is diabetic and I test him every day, and this is a 6 year old kid with type 1 diabetes. After I explain this to him he is a little taken aback and says he'll call his superviser and get back to me.

The call back: Turns out the One Touch Ultra is unavailable in Taiwan through the Taiwanese arm of Johnson and Johnson. The models I must have seen were probably imported from America or Canada so says the Johnson and Johnson representative. He says that some foreigners choose to buy these meters because of the advanced features, well duh! Also because they use the same strips as the One Touch Ultra. The reason being it's an all English interface and it is somewhat like a PDA, that's why Taiwan doesn't carry them. So no meter for me. Unless I cough up the bucks.

littlebuddy

I could try to help you get one through something like e-bay but there would be some costs involved. At the very least, the cost of shipping.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

jeggeman31

jeggeman31

• Seniors
  • 2,307 posts

I have a less than 6month old One Touch Ultra Smart sitting around not being used. It is yours if I can figure out how to ship to Tiawan without spending an arm and a leg. I am going out of town Saturday morning, and won't be back until Monday or Tuesday. I will get back with you then.

I was going to donate it to the ADA or someplace else, but this is even better.
Jim
Diagnosed April 1990
Pumping with my Omni Pod

than I do

Middle Aged Man

Middle Aged Man

• Members
  • 322 posts
Jim - Just check the manual and make sure it's okay to export it. Some electronics are not permitted to be exported, although I suspect you'll be fine.

I am "Middle Aged Man." Able to climb tall buildings with the help of an elevator. Adept at filling out government forms and finding tax breaks. Faster than a pet rock. With strength far beyond that of mortal hamsters. Look . . . asleep on the couch . . . it's a rock. It's a sack of potatoes. No, it's Middle Aged Man!!!!!

T2 diagnosed November, 2004 - Taking Metformin and Actos

Wishing Carwy great success in a new life and the defeat of cancer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users