reports of bad insulin?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

e||ement

e||ement

• 500 plus
  • 1,362 posts
Does anyone know if there is a website where you can check if there are reports of bad batches of insulin?
I think this would be a tremendous resource (now that I've experience what I think is my first bad batch!) for troubleshooting hyperglycemia.
...|ashley|....
Now pumping with a Ping!

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
I'd think that if enough people had problems with a specific lot #, complaints would be filed with the FDA and you'd find it on their web site. If you had problems with bad insulin it might not be the entire lot, just your vials. If the pharmacy you got them from didn't store them properly they could have issues, but vials from the same lot at other places might be fine.

I have suspected bad insulin only once, back when I was on NPH. I was waking up sky high for days in a row and had no explanation. I had recently started a new vial of NPH and suspected that was it. I called Lilly and told them about it and they sent me a coupon for a free vial.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

e||ement

e||ement

• 500 plus
  • 1,362 posts
true, liz.
i was SO high all day yesterday, with ketones, and had just filled a new reservoir. so after big corrections, temp basals and site changes all day, i figured it must be the insulin. i DID open a new vial last night (same lot #) which so far seems to have some? potency. but my post-breakfast reading is higher than normal (and so are my basal rates), so we'll see.

maybe i will call Eli Lilly and mention it...
...|ashley|....
Now pumping with a Ping!

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Hopefully we would hear of a detectable bad 'batch' - usually things like that do get around the grapevine, the last that I can recall being a whole lot of Levemir being stolen and hence suspect. If you do hear of something specific like a website that is sure to monitor health reports, let us know!

Unfortunately my understanding or suspicion (and it could be wrong... I'm just usually happy to get working insulin to chase it up too much) when I've had a "bad batch" as I have once or twice, is that it's usually a specific problem with probably the storage and handling of that particular set of boxes of insulin (and by extension, possibly part of the shop's stock).
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Chanson13

Chanson13

• 500 plus
  • 473 posts
That would be useful information, but poodle has raised some valid questions. If I'm experiencing hyperglycemia, I have a whole list of things that might be causing it: bad infusion site; air bubble in pump tubing; bad (or old) insulin; being sick; etc. But I certainly agree that the more guesswork we can take out of it, the better off we would be.
Type 1 since 1976
Pumping since 2003

crashandburn

crashandburn

• 500 plus
  • 309 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • I am a:Type 1
Ive noticed the same think and i think it would be nice though ive noticed sometimes a shot and a pump set have different results yet its a entirely new unused area which makes me wonder if its not also the potency of the insulin as well

Drew

The hardest part of ending is starting again.
That’s why we won’t back down
We won’t run and hide
Because these are the things we can’t deny

A1C 1-18-11 7.2
4-13-11 6.9
7-19-11 7.0
11-8-11 5.3
2-14-12 5.5
5-18-12 6.0
8-17-12 6.1
11-08-12 6.5
2-18-13 6.4
5-24-13 6.5
8-20-13 6.5
1-3-14 6.3

4-15-14 6.2

7-24-14 6.5
Previous Minimed user for 8 months but wasnt good if you ask me
Started One Touch Ping 5-4-11 with Apidra

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

true, liz.
i was SO high all day yesterday, with ketones, and had just filled a new reservoir. so after big corrections, temp basals and site changes all day, i figured it must be the insulin. i DID open a new vial last night (same lot #) which so far seems to have some? potency. but my post-breakfast reading is higher than normal (and so are my basal rates), so we'll see.

maybe i will call Eli Lilly and mention it...

Did you also try doing a correction with a syringe? That might let you know one way or another. If a correction via syringe (from the same vial of insulin) works, then it's obviously not the insulin.

Do you get your insulin locally or mail order?
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

e||ement

e||ement

• 500 plus
  • 1,362 posts
i get my insulin locally. and my cousin is the pharmacist. i called her and she's going to swap out my lot # for another lot #. good thing because i have 3 unoped vials (and 2 opened now).
the highs continued this morning through to this aft. i did do one correction with a syringe last night, which worked some...
this afternoon i did another correction with a syringe with insulin of a completely different lot # and numbers are coming down now, so i've filled a NEW res with that insulin (which was fun, seeing as it was a pen cartridge and i blew the stopper off the first one and had insulin all over my clothes and bed...fun). and i also changed my site AGAIN.
so..we'll see.
...|ashley|....
Now pumping with a Ping!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users