- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Philip2167

Philip2167

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
in my October 31st blood test my A1C went from 6.4 to 6.9 which average out to a daily average of 150. my doctor raised my dosage of metformin from one 500mg extended release pill taken after dinner to one 500mg extended release pill after lunch AND one after dinner. total 1000 mgs a day.

since i started taking meformin back in may of this year. every other day i come down with very bad diarrhea. i go 5-6 times in an hour and very watery. i have very bad hemorrhoids,and they tend to break and there is a bit of blood on the tissue paper. this worries me greatly. somedays i feel i cant stop going

i am told that some people who take this medication find some relief in the drug "immoduim AD"

could you please tell me when you take this drug metformin what you do to manage the diarrhea?

what medication helps you manage the effects of having diarrhea.

no5isalive

no5isalive

• Members
  • 141 posts
In my experience the diarrhea will go away after about a month. One drug that is available here is imodium & it is very good for stopping it.
Rich
Type 2 - Confirmed
Diagnosed 17 May 2011
HbA1c 18/05/2011 - 12.8
HbA1c 19/07/2011 - 10.3
HbA1c 20/09/2011 - 7.3
HbA1c 14/12/2011 - 5.9
Insulin - Humalog Mix 25
- STOPPED INSULIN 08/08/11
- Restarted by Hospital 14/11/11
http://quake.crowe.co.nz
http://www.facebook....125498360903833

dturney

dturney

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,019 posts

In my experience the diarrhea will go away after about a month. One drug that is available here is imodium & it is very good for stopping it.

That is what I use also.....
:)Diagnosed June 1970
Injecting Insulin since June 6, 1970
42 Years and Counting
Lantus and Humalog
Metformin
I am not young enough to know everything
Modcarb Diet
I eat all the food groups.

:tee:

sodajerk

sodajerk

• Members
  • 101 posts
Philip

I feel your pain. After a year and a 3 months, it is better for me. I use the Pink Stuff.

Deano

Deano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
When I was dx in May my endo put me on metformin er 1000 mg at breakfast and dinner, 1mg of
glimepiride at breakfast. I had the same problems as you do now. After a month I told my endo and
he change my dose to Metformin er 500mg at both breakfast and dinner and glimepiride 1mg at
breakfast and dinner. That stopped my diarrhea right away

Hammer

Hammer

• Seniors
  • 5,836 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
If you have been taking metformin since May and you still have diarrhea, you might want to think about going to something else. If the diarrhea hasn't gone away in 6 months, then it most likely will never go away.

I tried taking metformin for 30 days to see if my body would get used to it. My body didn't and the diarrhea was so bad that I had pains in my chest and I was nauseous all the time so I stopped the metformin. Not everyone can tolerate it, no matter how long they take it. I opted to stop taking all oral meds because they all gave me diarrhea, and when you consider that I already had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), I didn't want to take anything that made my IBS worse.

I decided on insulin as that doesn't affect my stomach. Once I switched to insulin, I got excellent control of my BG levels and there is no more discomfort with diarrhea. Of course, insulin is not for everyone, but if you are having issues with diarrhea, you might think about switching. No one should have to live with constant diarrhea for the rest of their life.;)

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

georgepds

georgepds

• Seniors
  • 1,044 posts
FWIIW, my doc says there is less gastric distress if you use Metformin ER ( compared to the garden varitey with out the ER) . It's what I've used for the last 3 or 4 years.

You might want to try that type

--g

no5isalive

no5isalive

• Members
  • 141 posts

FWIIW, my doc says there is less gastric distress if you use Metformin ER ( compared to the garden varitey with out the ER) . It's what I've used for the last 3 or 4 years.

--g

Yes, I have heard that Metformin ER is very good. Sadly that particular drug is not available here or else I would have used it. We have standard Metformin only.
Rich
Type 2 - Confirmed
Diagnosed 17 May 2011
HbA1c 18/05/2011 - 12.8
HbA1c 19/07/2011 - 10.3
HbA1c 20/09/2011 - 7.3
HbA1c 14/12/2011 - 5.9
Insulin - Humalog Mix 25
- STOPPED INSULIN 08/08/11
- Restarted by Hospital 14/11/11
http://quake.crowe.co.nz
http://www.facebook....125498360903833

aggie168

aggie168

• Seniors
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • I am a:Type 1

since i started taking meformin back in may of this year. every other day i come down with very bad diarrhea. i go 5-6 times in an hour and very watery. i have very bad hemorrhoids,and they tend to break.... could you please tell me when you take this drug metformin what you do to manage the diarrhea? what medication helps you manage the effects of having diarrhea.

Hello Philip2167, not everyone can tolerate metformin. I am one of those. Suffer for years without knowing why. Today I am on insulin only and life is good. Just to be clear. Insulin is not a simple decision.

Hope you find the right solution. :)

===============================================
DX 02/2002, Minimed 530G(751) w/CGMS on Humalog
Aspirin 81mg + Lipitor 10mg + Losartan 50mg

10/2014 A1C 5.6 Chol=141 Trig=75 HDL=49 LDL=77
05/2014 A1C 5.8 Chol=154 Trig=96 HDL=48 LDL=87

William V

William V

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Locationnear Vancouver, BC, Canada
I suffered the same thing for several years even after changing how it was taken and by different manufacturers. This I did until I changed to the original "metphormin" glucophage . Then the diarrhea subsided by about 2/3 and isn't a daily occurrence. It was unknown to the pharmacy as they has to look it up in their drug book to know who/ where to order from. The pills have HMR stamped on them. Currently I take 2000 divided between breakfast and supper and it's taken in the middle of the meal.

ryany

ryany

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I use faxseed meal, 3tbs. (One possible side effect is constipation, so drink plenty of water) But basically the consipation mixed with diareha= normal 99% of the time.

modcarb

modcarb

• Seniors
  • 659 posts

--g

The OP is on 500mg extended release 2 times a day.

Moonpie

Moonpie

• Seniors
  • 4,026 posts

I use faxseed meal, 3tbs. (One possible side effect is constipation, so drink plenty of water) But basically the consipation mixed with diareha= normal 99% of the time.

a good illustration of why we are all so different. I take falxmeal, many days, to to keep me regular.as I get constipated on the LCHF diet I am on.

I had enough issues with Metformin, that I was ready to modify my diet in any way to get away from it. Have you noticed, if any foods seem to trigger the diarrhea, I have read in many posts, that some posters find certain foods do not mix well withe the Met. ( mostly carby or greasy foods)

Good luck on finding a solution, that works for you. Diarrhea is not something any of us should be living with, ona constant basis.

:D

Stihlcarven

Stihlcarven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
a cork works well.

hellokitty

hellokitty

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I used Phillips Probiotic Colon Health for a couple months when I started metformin, and it worked right away. After a couple months, the diarrhea finally subsided. Like I said, the caps worked the first day, and I tried to stop them a couple times and the diarrhea was right back, but after 2 months, I switched to every other day and finally stopped. I still have to be careful how much fat I eat. Eating at restaurants like the Olive Garden always sends me running to the restroom, so I'm very careful what I order at restaurants.

tac1967

tac1967

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have recently been diagnosed as type II diabetes and when I started the metformin my doctor told me that if you take tums it will counter act the diarrhea so i now take tums with mine and it really does help... I was also told this by diabetic instructor from where I work..

puzlnut

puzlnut

• Seniors
  • 706 posts
I started out on 500 mg. twice/day of the regular Metformin and the first 4 days were not pretty but after that no problem. In fact, I ended up dealing with some constipation. Then 2 months after having started the Met. I doubled my dose (with doc's approval) to 1000 mg. 2x/day and switched to the ER version hoping that would help with the potential diarrhea threat. Well, I am still having diarrhea---I sometimes will go 2 days with nothing (as happened this past weekend while at work---for which I am very grateful I did not have to deal with that while working)---and then today I had 5 episodes of pure "water" diarrhea in about a 3 hour period. Have no idea why. I am still perplexed by it all. I see my doc tomorrow and this diarrhea is at the top of my list of things to discuss. I may try switching back to the regular version (but still at the 1000 mg. 2x/day dosage) to see if that helps. This is all very frustrating but I am seeing really good numbers so I am very loathe to decrease the dosage.

I hope you feel better and good luck with figuring out the next step.
Type 2
6/10/11 A1C = 9.8 FBG = 246
8/10/11 A1C = 6.4
11/18/11 A1c = 5.6 FBG = 101
4/24/12 A1C =5.8 FBG = 109

Metformin 1500 mg. ER /day
HCTZ , Trandalapril , Toprol ER
Vit. D, ALA, EPO, Biotin

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Promise me you'll always remember---you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

puzlnut

puzlnut

• Seniors
  • 706 posts
Oops, I forgot to add that when I refilled my Metformin prescription last week the pharmacist and I had a talk about the bathroom issues and he told me that Metformin has lactose in it and if you are lactose intolerant (I am) that that may be the cause for the diarrhea. I may try taking some Lactaid tablets when taking the Metformin and see if that helps.

Of course, they also changed the brand of Metformin they are dispensing and now I will not know if it is the Lactaid or the different brand that cured the problem. Although now that I think about it, who cares what fixes the problem as long as it is fixed?????? :)
Type 2
6/10/11 A1C = 9.8 FBG = 246
8/10/11 A1C = 6.4
11/18/11 A1c = 5.6 FBG = 101
4/24/12 A1C =5.8 FBG = 109

Metformin 1500 mg. ER /day
HCTZ , Trandalapril , Toprol ER
Vit. D, ALA, EPO, Biotin

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Promise me you'll always remember---you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

retired60

retired60

• Members
  • 367 posts
I also use a ProBiotic. For many years discomfort has came and went. Somtimes I will go a year or better with no problems. During the last month , it has came back after a yaer with no problem,,,,,,thus the ProBiotic..........went away the next day and now I just make it part of my every day routine.
Retired 60:) :)

Lantus 20 units daily
Glucaphage 500x2 daily
Carvedilol 12.5 x 2 daily
Furosemide 40 mg daily
Benazepril 5mg daily
Aspirin 325mg daily
10/15/08 a1c 5.3
1/15/09 a1c 5.4
4/01/09 a1c 5.6
7/26/09 a1c 5.5

modcarb

modcarb

• Seniors
  • 659 posts

Oops, I forgot to add that when I refilled my Metformin prescription last week the pharmacist and I had a talk about the bathroom issues and he told me that Metformin has lactose in it and if you are lactose intolerant (I am) that that may be the cause for the diarrhea. I may try taking some Lactaid tablets when taking the Metformin and see if that helps.

Of course, they also changed the brand of Metformin they are dispensing and now I will not know if it is the Lactaid or the different brand that cured the problem. Although now that I think about it, who cares what fixes the problem as long as it is fixed?????? :)

You might ask the pharmacist if this brand has lactose in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users