Is Gluten Free better for prediabetes/diabetes or does not matter?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
I'm just curious if gluten free is good for us or does it not matter cause it is actually the carbs right and the sugars?
My Dr. is having me off gluten for a week for my test to come back because I have such bad bloating that it actually hurts.
They did a tummy ultra sound and everything looked good so she thought she would try this...
My numbers have been so good since i've lost now 8 pounds but this a.m. my fasting was 100 and probably cause I had carbs
from some crackers at 10:00 last night before I went to bed...still working out lots of kinks...I hope all is doing well here!

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,878 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
Doesn't matter. Gluten is a protein and is related only to an autoimmune disorder of the small intestine that occurs in genetically predisposed people.

Guest_jamieileana_*

Guest_jamieileana_*
  • Guests
so it is neither good nor bad for diabetics?
I may have some kind of gluten intolerance because I dont have many of the sympoms of Celiac but I do have a lot of bloating
and pain in my tummy as of late...been off most breads for a week and it seems better..Dr. told me not to eat breads at the least
till tests come back but just curious if it is better then whole grain bread for diabetes.

shyam

shyam

• 500 plus
  • 1,030 posts
Plain white bread v/s whole grain ? YMMV. Your meter will tell you.
DX Type II Nov 2007 (219 fasting)
Diet/Exercise since Aug 2010
1stAug10 : BG 178 Fasting / A1C : 8.00, Oct'10 6.9 / Jan'11 6.4
Apr'11 6.0 / June'11 5.9 / Oct'11 5.8 / Jan'12 5.6 / Apr'12 5.3
Now between 70-125 all the time
;)

Daytona

Daytona

• 500 plus
  • 509 posts
After cutting out all grains I have had significantly less tummy inflammation and discomfort. The same for my husband though it took almost a month of grain free to really feel better. Now when he has anything with gluten, he gets a VERY unhappy tummy.

I hope you figure out what is causing your stomach issues!
Diagnosed 12/2010 @ 10.7, Latest A1c 11/2011 @ 5.3!
30 years old
Ketogenic Paleo Diet
www.sweetgeek.net

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

so it is neither good nor bad for diabetics?

Diabetics are people. If that person has celiacs, then gluten is bad for them. If your question is whether it interferes with blood sugars, again if that person has celiacs it would not be surprising. Celiacs affects digestion, causes bloating, immune responses, all sorts of things. Illness will often compromise blood sugar control.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
I do eat gluten in my "meat analogues, typically once per day. The protein, not much starch. And I have experienced far less bloating by being otherwise grain- and legume-free. In my case I think it was the carbs, not the protein, but I am reading that non-celiac gluten sensitivity is increasingly being diagnosed.

All you can do is try and see how your body feels -- and maybe do an add-back and test, after a while?
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

k_dub

k_dub

• 500 plus
  • 1,362 posts
  • LocationWyoming
  • I am a:Type 1
I gave up gluten about 10mos ago. I do not have Celiacs, but I was having some vague symptoms that went away completely after giving up gluten (GERD, joint pain, swelling, inflamation, etc). There is some interesting research linking gluten and inflammation even in people without an autoimmune response to gluten.
I find that controlling my BGs is much easier and I require less insulin than when I ate more gluten.
Eating the same amount of carbs of non-gluten foods compared to gluten foods, I spike much less.

If you're interested, I'd highly recommend the book "Wheat Belly" by Davis, which talks about research on gluten and hybridized wheat in general. That book was enough to make me confident in my decision not to eat wheat or gluten containing plants.
Kelly

Current A1C: 6.0%
Diagnosed with LADA June 2008
Animas One Touch Ping March 2009
Dexcom Seven March 2010 --> Dexcom G4 November 2012
Apidra

Mom to Nicholas born 1/4/14. Ask me about diabetes and pregnancy!
First trimester A1c: 5.7%
Second trimester A1c: 6.1%
Late second trimester A1c (25 weeks): 5.7%
Third trimester A1c (35 weeks): 6.0%

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about, but you refuse to investigate" Dr. Wayne Dyer

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,983 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I am not sensitive to gluten and can eat small amounts but I don't eat wheat products because of the bg spike I get from the carbs. There is also a whole continuum of sensitivities to wheat. So even if your test comes back negative you could be getting some inflammation from the wheat. One of the things I have noticed since giving up wheat is my belly is fairly flat now. That is something I never thought I would see at my age. There is a new book called WHEAT BELLY by Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist. He talks about all the illnesses that are caused or made worse by eating wheat.
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users