Photo

2nd Day taking one 500mg metformin - feeling SICK, SICK, SICK!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

vanessavlabarca

vanessavlabarca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I just found out yesterday that I have type 2 diabetes. By the end of this month I'll be taking 4 metformin a day, then my doctor will decide if I need to start doing insulin injections. Meanwhile, I am still suffering with all of the classical symptoms: raging thirst, frequent need to urinate, fatigue, and blurred vision.

Yesterday, at the doctors, my sugar level was around 450, which is very high, right? I haven't gotten the results from my blood tests yet. I suppose my doctor will tell me what they are on Monday, when I have my appointment.

I'm hungry right now, but I don't want to eat, because I know I'll just feel terrible afterwards.

Since I know that there is a way to start feeling better, I'm starting to feel impatient. I just want to not feel this sick anymore. I'm really not going to like it if I have to feel sick for the next month if this metformin does not start working.

Thanks for listening.

Lloyd

Lloyd

• 500 plus
  • 1,906 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
You get some help from metformin right away, but the full effect takes about 3 weeks. 500 is a very small dose, so don't expect much until your dossage has increased. It usually takes a while to grow used to metformin.

-Lloyd

2014 A1c 5.4 5.6 5.8   2013 5.3 4.9 5.2 5.2
2012 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0
2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4
2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9
2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<---Pump 6.9 (Mix)
2006 (Lantus) 7.8 8.5 8.7 7.1
2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Sorry, it sounds like a rough trot you are going through. 450 is very high and will be knocking your body and mind around badly. I'm a little perturbed at anyone walking around with those levels. Whatever your and your doctor's approach, you want to be seeing improvement pretty soon. If it gets much worse seek medical help ASAP, it is possible you are at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis which is a dangerous condition where ketones you are producing from lack of relative insulin (which is causing a lot of the symptoms you describe) make the blood cause the ph of the blood to become acidic, and swiftly puts you out of action.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Bill_Iowa

Bill_Iowa

• 500 plus
  • 276 posts
Welcome Vanessa,

I was dx'd (diagnosed) last January 6, 2011 with a BG of 426 and an A1c of 14.0. With me, I was consuming a lot of carbs (several hundred of grams per day). When I dramatically reduced my carb consumption, my blood glucose levels (BGs) dropped quickly to the low 100s within a couple of days.

I read that you don't want to eat, but you really need to eat. Since you don't have access to insulin to drive your BGs down, you need to severely restrict your carbohydrate intake. A couple examples of what to eat for meals is as follows:

Breakfast: Try two eggs, scrambled (or however you prefer) with a couple slices of bacon or breakfast sausage. You may want to add a half slice of toast (with real butter). Drink zero carbs, say coffee, tea, or some sort of diet drink. The one-half slice of toast is probably around 10 grams of carbs.

Lunch: Make a big salad (I use a 1.2 liter bowl). Use half regular salad mix (primarily iceberg lettuce) and 1/2 salad greens. Add 1/2 avocado (cut into small pieces), a few olives, perhaps some chopped onions, 2 to 3 ounces of berries, shredded cheese, and sunflower seeds. For a dressing, you can use extra virgin olive oil (1 to 2 tablespoons) or find some very low carb dressing like buttermilk ranch. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can add some meat to the salad, perhaps leftover turkey. The berries have about 4 grams of carbs per ounce.

Dinner: A hamburger or two (no bun), cheese, mustard and dill pickles. Make another salad, but use cabbage, diced tomatoes, avocado (or hard boiled eggs), with buttermilk ranch salad dressing. Diced tomatoes have some carbs in them.

What you need to do is substitute fat and protein for carbs to get your numbers to drop. Eating a very low carb diet for several days will give your pancreas a rest. With a 450, the poor thing has been way over-worked. Also, the fat in the meals should be enough to get you to your next meal without having the urge to snack on bad foods (high carb).

You didn't mention it, and if you haven't yet, you really need to get a glucose meter with strips and measure several times a day. Your numbers are high enough that it's potentially dangerous, as mentioned above in another post. You shouldn't exercise until your BGs drop below 250, perhaps a little lower. Once your BGs drop to 200 or so, you need to begin to exercise. For right now, walking will suffice. A mile or two once or twice a day should be enough until you feel well enough to come up with a good, consistent physical fitness program.

In case you don't know, normal blood glucose levels for a non-diabetic are from 70 to 100 mg/dl (American). Since your BGs are over 400, your body may react negatively (false hypo) when you drop your BGs to 200, then to 100 again. You might feel dizzy, headachy, weak. Measure, and if you're above 70, you are fine. You're just going to have to push through this period and not weaken and consume a lot of carbs (short-term you feel good, but 15 minutes later you might feel really bad).

Good luck and keep asking questions. There's a lot of folks on this board with long-term diabetes experience that love to give counsel and support.

shyam

shyam

• 500 plus
  • 1,030 posts
Welcome to DF Vanessa,

Bill has given you some great advice to get you started. I'm sure pretty soon you will see much better numbers. I would also suggest that you keep visiting this forum time & again and read as much as you can. That is the best first step that you can take. You could also see the website bloodsugar101.com
DX Type II Nov 2007 (219 fasting)
Diet/Exercise since Aug 2010
1stAug10 : BG 178 Fasting / A1C : 8.00, Oct'10 6.9 / Jan'11 6.4
Apr'11 6.0 / June'11 5.9 / Oct'11 5.8 / Jan'12 5.6 / Apr'12 5.3
Now between 70-125 all the time
;)

janice21475

janice21475

Just me

• 500 plus
  • 4,003 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
Hello Vanessa,

The suggestions you received from Bill should be set in stone. They are the basis of controlling BG, in my opinion.

With Diabetes your body can not handle carbs, thus the less you eat the less it has to deal with defectively as it does. The sooner you can reduce the amount of carbs going into your body the better you will feel. Of course, remember, you didn't get into this condition overnight so there is a graduation to the improvement, too. You can do it, there are many fine folks on this forum who will be glad to talk with you. Your best friend right now is 'reading.' Read all you can on this forum and the Internet in general - about Low Carbing. There are 100's of success stories on here, alone.

Keep us informed of you progress.
Janice

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 7,198 posts
Welcome to DF. Since your body is use to higher bgs as you begin to drop you may really feel sick for awhile. It usually takes metformin up to a month to really build up in your system. I had to raise my dose 3 different times until my current dose of 2550 mg of metformin. Also is you have stomach upset, ask your doctor for the extended version of metformin. I hope your doctor told you about carbs. Eating carbs will raise bg. Many of us have figured out what we can and cannot eat by using our bg meter 2 hours after meals. Ideally you never want your bgs over 140 after you eat, ideally much lower. Normal non D's rarely go above 100-120 after they eat. So the closer you can get to normal the better you will be.

metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, fish oil, biotin, occuvite and zinc

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-4 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

kat_wa

kat_wa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi - it is my second day on metforim too! I had a hard time sleeping last night with the stomach pains like someone else mentioned. Hope it gets better for you.

Moonpie

Moonpie

• 500 plus
  • 3,919 posts
welcome & I echo all of the great advice given here, about the carbs etc.

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users