- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

MarkMunday

MarkMunday

Banned

• Banned
  • 617 posts
I have been looking for something to help me deal with insomnia. I was determined to keep away from the commonly used drugs as they tend to be very addictive. And, while surfing the net, I came accross a good natural alternative.

5-HTP (5-hydroxyltryptophan) is a serotonin precurser. Using it increases seratonin levels, which increases melatonin production, which regulates sleep cycles. It works really well for me. I have slept well for the last few nights - which I haven't been able to do for years.

According to the literature, it is also good for dealing with depression and controlling carbohydrate cravings (for T2s) - 2 common problems with diabetes.

I am interested to hear about peoples opinions and experiences with 5HTP. And for the uninitiated, here is some info :

[url]http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,747,00.html[/url]

Cheers,

Mark
Type 1 since 1977. Use Lantus/NPH/Novorapid/Actrapid. On reduced-carb diet. :sheep:

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
I've never tried it, sorry.

Welcome back! We've missed you around here.
You may call me Locutus Posted Image

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,221 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Wow...... you have been reading my mind. I suffer BADLY with insomnia. I have been using melatonin, but lately that isn't working either. I will look into this product. I have never heard of it before.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
Don't have this problem but my sweetie does sometimes. She often gets relief from a hard evening workout at the gym but she's never tried a chemical aid. I'd be interested in other's experiences.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

belyro

belyro

• 500 plus
  • 1,893 posts
Just wanted to clarify that the initial message here was written in 2005 by someone who is now banned.....so there's probably not much point in answering his question.

That said....if it's relevant to people here now, why not re-open it. :) I know my mom takes (or took?) 5-HTP and had some really great things to say about it. I don't know details, though.
~ Bethany ~

Type 1 since I was 3 (1981)
Pumping as of Sept. 13, 2007 - Paradigm 522 with NovoRapid (Novolog)
(Previously on Levemir and Humalog)
CGMS as of Apr. 2008
Laser treatments (scatter) on both eyes - Jul. 4, 2007-Sept. 12, 2007; more on left eye April 2009.

Check out my diabetes & pregnancy blog at www.pregnantbethany.blogspot.com

Check out my diabetes blog called "Me With D" at www.mewithd.wordpress.com

susique333

susique333

• 500 plus
  • 343 posts

Hes banned? Rats, cause its a good Q. My 18 yr old daughter took 5_htp for 4 years to combat mood swings and insomnia. Once she hit 18 her Dr. switched her to Lexapro (10mg) for the mood and melatonin for the sleeping issues. I usually sleep very well but on occasion Ive used melatonin (I cracked a 1 mg tablet into 4ths) and good gracious does it work! I just asked her which helped her sleep better and she said both worked about the same for sleeping although the Lexapro helps more with anxiety control.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Posted Image

A1c 7.5 fall of 2012. 55 yr old. 3 diabetic pregnancies w/ insulin. :mad: Thankfully reverted back to 'non-diabetic' after all 3. Re-diagnosed 2007. FINALLY on Lantus and Humalog qwik pens. :T Mother to 9 boys and 5 girls. Grandmomma to 8.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,045 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I sometimes have difficulty sleeping and have tried melatonin in the past. Recently, my doc gave me a sample of Rozeram...it cut it in half (though its a tiny pill) and it worked wonderfully with no "hangover" feelings the next morning. Its supposed to have little risk of dependency.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts
I tried 5-HTP after Mark initially asked this, and it gave me the worst hiccups ever! And I am serious!
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk

• 500 plus
  • 1,069 posts
What ever happened to MarkMunday? I recall him from a long, long time ago--I remember him posting about how his daughter became a T1 and something about a suicide attempt with her. I hope all is well with his family.

Anyhow, I've never heard of 5-HTP. Is it available OTC?

Regarding sleep, you know how they say "trypophan makes a person sleepy" such as after eating a turkey dinner? Turns out that turkey doesn't have that much trypophan in it after all. :confused:

edit: looks like this thread was "bumped" by a spammer. do'h.
Posted Image

BlueSky

BlueSky

• 500 plus
  • 2,566 posts

What ever happened to MarkMunday? .... I hope all is well with his family....

Thanks for your concern. We have had a bit of bumpy ride over the last few years but, we are doing OK ..... ;)
In my humble opinion :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 since 1977
MDI using Lantus, Novorapid and Actrapid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users