• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

missgoosy

missgoosy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm a type 2 who was diagnosed last April with an AIC of 11.3 and bg of 262, which scared me into dealing with the problem head on. Did fabulous for a while and within 3 months brought my AIC down to 6.3. Since then, I haven't been able to maintain my low-carb diet AT ALL - the boredom, the blandness, the expense of eating this way. I have realized that I am an absolute food addict and powerless over carbs. No matter how hard I try - every day - to try to avoid it, I give in to pasta and junk food. I rationalize it by saying I at least balance it with a salad and walking every day. My doctor won't give me metformin or insulin, so I am seeing an endocrinologist who probably will, but it's two more months before I can get an appointment. Over the past six months, my bg's have shot up from the low 100's up to a daily high of 200's and even twice in the 300's. I have no idea how to conquer these constant cravings. I know I haven't emotionally accepted this diagnosis and I can't figure out how to. I am well aware of the complications and how I'm probably taking years off my life with every bite of pasta.

Can anyone else relate and tell me how you got through this?

Thank you!
:(

blufloyd

blufloyd

• no pm.
  • 1,260 posts
I'd call till I got in somewhere soon. Emergency clinic or something. No point in delaying. Carbs are bad but I feel fortunate in that I am not a pasta chip guy....
Your Doc doesn't sound like you need him....

shyam

shyam

• 500 plus
  • 1,030 posts
Denial is quite common with newly diagonised people. But the control that you did achieve should have inspired you to keep going. The 6.3 would have been better. My best motivational tool is my meter. I'd suggest that you stick around the forum a lot & read a lot. That should help. Why your doctor is not prescribing metformin ? Is there some reason ?
DX Type II Nov 2007 (219 fasting)
Diet/Exercise since Aug 2010
1stAug10 : BG 178 Fasting / A1C : 8.00, Oct'10 6.9 / Jan'11 6.4
Apr'11 6.0 / June'11 5.9 / Oct'11 5.8 / Jan'12 5.6 / Apr'12 5.3
Now between 70-125 all the time
;)

Kkirwan

Kkirwan

• 500 plus
  • 194 posts
I can't imagine why your doctor won't prescribe meds. Sounds like he doesn't really care about your well-being. You need a new doctor.

bardley

bardley

• 500 plus
  • 175 posts
...I was a chip and pasta junkie before my diagnosis too but have gone cold turkey for over two years now. Try filling yourself up with bell peppers, onion, and tomotoes cooked in olive oil with some harissa sauce (Tunisian). For a snack, unsalted, roasted peanuts and 11 almonds (no salt) are purportedly the same as on lipitor.

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,465 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I understand the carb addiction all too well. When carbs are around I am powerless. Literally I had to clean out all my pantries and throw the stuff away. For me making Low Carb treats to have on hand to eat when you get those cravings works for me. But when I see or smell bread, pizza, pasta, I have to leave the room. Even the smell causes cravings. I am not sure why your doctor won't give you meds. Time for a new doctor.
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 4 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-3 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 63

jillybean

jillybean

• 500 plus
  • 1,282 posts
I agree that it sounds like time for a new doctor - I NEVER saw an endocrinologist for my diabetes; my regular doc prescribed me metformin and Januvia and discussed the option of Byetta with me. And she was actually a nurse practitioner, not an MD.

As for the carbs, they're evil, pure and simple :P For me, I have to go cold turkey. Once I've had the carbs out of my diet for a couple weeks, the cravings go away. If eating low-carb was too "bland" for you, then I'm wondering if you weren't getting enough variety, as that is NEVER a word I would use to describe a diet full of a variety of meats, eggs, cheeses, oils, spices/seasonings, non-starchy veggies, nuts, etc. You know what's bland? Plain pasta, plain bread, plain potato chips...I've personally found that I primarily used these carby foods as a VEHICLE for getting the good flavors of things like sauces, cream cheese, butter, saltiness, etc., and once I replaced those carby vehicles with something else that still allowed me to get those yummy flavors, life was much better. For example, I've found I very much enjoy a bowl of very meaty spaghetti sauce with some sliced up Italian sausage and maybe some meatballs topped with lots of melty cheese...without the noodles! Or some salt n' vinegar or habanaro bbq flavored almonds (Blue Diamond brand makes these flavors) instead of potato chips. Or pork rinds or crispy cheese chips instead of potato chips. "Oopsie rolls" in place of bread/buns (Google for the easy recipe). Things like that.

*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

Kkirwan

Kkirwan

• 500 plus
  • 194 posts

"Oopsie rolls" in place of bread/buns (Google for the easy recipe).

There are no carbs in that recipe? Is it bready?

Joisey

Joisey

• 500 plus
  • 344 posts
I agree with Jill. Just do it. After a while it will get easier and the cravings will disappear. Now, when I see an ad for Pizza, all I think of is a hospital bed with my name on it.

bdelatte

bdelatte

• 500 plus
  • 724 posts
I feel like you think if your doc put u on insulin your numbers would go down? Yeah they would some but if you continue to eat that way they wont. You have to just face it. I know all about this. It took me 10 years! Ive had many days of crying and frustrations but honestly i wish i would have faced it a long time ago. I was lucky enough to not suffer any complications from my 10 years of not taking care of myself. Now i realize this isnt going away so either deal with it and live a long life or dont and die young. The first option sounds better to me. I do low carb, seriously you would be so surprised what you can make..get the book 1001 low carb recipes by Dana Carpender..and GOOGLE, GOOGLE, GOOGLE. There are gobs of low carbs out there and ways to make everything in a low carb manner.
Diabetics are naturally sweet! ;)
Animas OneTouch Ping Insulin Pump
A1C 6.0

Kkirwan

Kkirwan

• 500 plus
  • 194 posts
When I finally realized I'd have to give up most carbs for good, I cried. I felt almost like someone had died. It's scary in the beginning, but if you take it a moment at a time, you'll eventually realize that you feel *better* without extreme carbs. I try to keep around 100 carbs per day. Yesterday I had 61. I have more energy. I'm not sleepy in the afternoon. Eating carbs makes me hungrier. Even if I was stuffed, I'd feel like I was starving. It's such a relief to not feel that way anymore that it keeps me from eating a lot of carbs. My dietitian has me on a gluten-free diet (just starting week 2) and that helps with keeping carbs low since wheat is in *everything*.

I still have plenty to eat, and everything has flavor. I'm not bored with anything. You'll be fine, you just need to get the hang of it first.

jillybean

jillybean

• 500 plus
  • 1,282 posts

There are no carbs in that recipe? Is it bready?

Oopsie Rolls | Your Lighter Side

They are NOT a perfect bread replacement - they are a slightly different texture - but they work for me! As I mentioned, they're a good "vehicle" for other things. I've used them for pbj sandwiches when I was really craving those earlier in my pregnancy.
*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

Ela

Ela

• 500 plus
  • 1,995 posts
Jilly brought up a good point that very often carbs only serve as a vehicle for delivering tasty foods. Besides just skipping those "vehicles" completely you may substitute them with some healthier options: for example instead of mash potatoes use mash or just cauliflower or yam. I still eat pizza sometimes, but I make it myself with low carb thin tortilla and I still eat bread (a slice or 2 a day), but only low on carbs-15 carbs per slice or lower. Maybe you can do at least these things and improve your control and meanwhile get used to it.

All in all the hardest part for me was to rearrange the whole routine of cooking and eating as we are all accustomed to eating some carby side dishes at every meal and it feels sometimes like there is nothing to eat. But once you get used to your new routine, it gets some much easier.

Oh and yes, testing a lot and reading the forum helps.

Good luck!
"In some ways, being a well-controlled diabetic is an ongoing science experiment" Scratch

Diagnosed 4/11 A1C=10.8
6/11 A1C = 7.8
8/11 A1C = 5.7
11/11 A1C=6.1
1/12 A1C = 6.2
5/12 A1C = 5.9 Finally!
8/12 A1C = 6.1 for NO REASON
12/12 A1C=5.5
4/13 A1C = 5.4
7/13 A1C = 5.8
2/14 A1C = 5.8
Metformin 500X2, Ramipril 2.5, Magnesium Citrate, Chromium Picolinate, Milk Thistle, Goldenseal

missgoosy

missgoosy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks everyone for all your support! As for my doctor, she has been ditched and I'm just waiting to see the endo, I'm sure she will give me metformin at least. You're right, I have been thinking that insulin would let me eat whatever I want to but the reality is I don't want to take it at all. One of you mentioned staying around 100 carbs a day and I think that's actually what I have been consuming and each time I'm way up in the 300's, so I don't know how some people are able to do it but I'm not. I am wondering if maybe there's just too much of a backup of sugar in my bloodstream from the past six months of not eating well? This morning I had 7 carbs (2 oz. orange juice) and I'm hoping it doesn't throw me over 200. I'm planning on having only maybe 20-30 carbs for the rest of the day, so I hope I see some improvement soon.

Ela

Ela

• 500 plus
  • 1,995 posts
Well, orange juice or any fruit juice is not such a good idea. In fact I think they are evil ... for our BGs they are...;).

And yes, glycagon does accumulate in your system, but with diet and exercise it will get spent and things get better.
"In some ways, being a well-controlled diabetic is an ongoing science experiment" Scratch

Diagnosed 4/11 A1C=10.8
6/11 A1C = 7.8
8/11 A1C = 5.7
11/11 A1C=6.1
1/12 A1C = 6.2
5/12 A1C = 5.9 Finally!
8/12 A1C = 6.1 for NO REASON
12/12 A1C=5.5
4/13 A1C = 5.4
7/13 A1C = 5.8
2/14 A1C = 5.8
Metformin 500X2, Ramipril 2.5, Magnesium Citrate, Chromium Picolinate, Milk Thistle, Goldenseal

artsy897

artsy897

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi...I was just diagnosed last August and my bg was 293 I believe...I was so shocked and devastated to find out I had Diabetes. I just cried and cried on the way home from the Doctors. I shouldnt have been that shocked...because I have been overweight almost all of my life. I was also struggling with Hypothyroid which has been a nightmare for me. I had never had any success with losing weight...ever! That was one reason I was so scared.
Well my Doctor put me on Metformin...500mg 2 times a day at first, then I saw an Endo. who put me on 850mg three times a day.
Surprise, surprise...this medicine cut my appetite to almost nothing.
Then I researched Diabetes control and found the low carb lifestyle and began cutting carbs. Between the two I have had success that I have never had in my life. I have lost 51 pounds and my blood sugar is almost always in the low 100 to 115's.
If I had not been given Metformin I do not think I would have been able to do the low carb woe or any other for that matter.
I wish I had been given Metformin before I got Diabetes...I think I could have avoided it. I have read where they are giving Metformin to those who do not have it yet...just over weight.
I do have side effects from the Metformin...have to stay close to the bathroom...but this is becoming more and more infrequent. Good Luck

Miss Milly

Miss Milly

• 500 plus
  • 301 posts

Hi everyone,

I'm a type 2 who was diagnosed last April with an AIC of 11.3 and bg of 262, which scared me into dealing with the problem head on. Did fabulous for a while and within 3 months brought my AIC down to 6.3. Since then, I haven't been able to maintain my low-carb diet AT ALL - the boredom, the blandness, the expense of eating this way. I have realized that I am an absolute food addict and powerless over carbs. No matter how hard I try - every day - to try to avoid it, I give in to pasta and junk food. I rationalize it by saying I at least balance it with a salad and walking every day. My doctor won't give me metformin or insulin, so I am seeing an endocrinologist who probably will, but it's two more months before I can get an appointment. Over the past six months, my bg's have shot up from the low 100's up to a daily high of 200's and even twice in the 300's. I have no idea how to conquer these constant cravings. I know I haven't emotionally accepted this diagnosis and I can't figure out how to. I am well aware of the complications and how I'm probably taking years off my life with every bite of pasta.

Can anyone else relate and tell me how you got through this?

Thank you!
:(

It is important to restrict the carbs sharply, eat protein and fat foods - that means all kinds of meat, fish, eggs. There are green salads, loads of low carb vegs and some low carb fruits. There is loads of variety and these foods are far more filling than carbs in my view. As you give up the unhealthy carbs you will stop craving them. It is definitely the carbs that are making you have high blood sugars, nothing else.

Miss Milly

Miss Milly

• 500 plus
  • 301 posts

Hi...I was just diagnosed last August and my bg was 293 I believe...I was so shocked and devastated to find out I had Diabetes. I just cried and cried on the way home from the Doctors. I shouldnt have been that shocked...because I have been overweight almost all of my life. I was also struggling with Hypothyroid which has been a nightmare for me. I had never had any success with losing weight...ever! That was one reason I was so scared.
Well my Doctor put me on Metformin...500mg 2 times a day at first, then I saw an Endo. who put me on 850mg three times a day.
Surprise, surprise...this medicine cut my appetite to almost nothing.
Then I researched Diabetes control and found the low carb lifestyle and began cutting carbs. Between the two I have had success that I have never had in my life. I have lost 51 pounds and my blood sugar is almost always in the low 100 to 115's.
If I had not been given Metformin I do not think I would have been able to do the low carb woe or any other for that matter.
I wish I had been given Metformin before I got Diabetes...I think I could have avoided it. I have read where they are giving Metformin to those who do not have it yet...just over weight.
I do have side effects from the Metformin...have to stay close to the bathroom...but this is becoming more and more infrequent. Good Luck

How inspiring is your story? What an example of what can be done. 51 pounds lost is incredible and your numbers are good.

Miss Milly

Miss Milly

• 500 plus
  • 301 posts

Thanks everyone for all your support! As for my doctor, she has been ditched and I'm just waiting to see the endo, I'm sure she will give me metformin at least. You're right, I have been thinking that insulin would let me eat whatever I want to but the reality is I don't want to take it at all. One of you mentioned staying around 100 carbs a day and I think that's actually what I have been consuming and each time I'm way up in the 300's, so I don't know how some people are able to do it but I'm not. I am wondering if maybe there's just too much of a backup of sugar in my bloodstream from the past six months of not eating well? This morning I had 7 carbs (2 oz. orange juice) and I'm hoping it doesn't throw me over 200. I'm planning on having only maybe 20-30 carbs for the rest of the day, so I hope I see some improvement soon.

Try aiming for 50 carbs a day just for a couple of weeks, see what happens.

Lab3

Lab3

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
When I am dying for a snack I grab a bag of pork rinds (you get used to the taste) but they satisfy the chip itch and they contain 0 carbohydrates. Granted they aren't the healthiest snack on the planet but they work well for me and do not cause a major spike in my sugar as long as I don't eat the whole bag. I sometimes use them in place of bread crumbs.

I'm just starting out too and have seen good results with low carbs.
Crossing my fingers I can stay on the low carb band wagon.

Ela-- I found a low carb pizza dough recipe made with cocnut flour, flax meal, shredded mozzarella cheese and baking soda. Made it last friday night and even the kids ate it. used a little more cheese and thin sliced tomatoes with a little garlic olive oil on top.
Tropical Traditions - Recipe - Gluten-Free Pizza Crust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users