• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Julias

Julias

• Seniors
  • 503 posts
Ulcer-causing bug tied to higher diabetes risk | Reuters

Interesting....

I was tested positive for this bacteria.
JuliaS
Age 48, 5 ft. 0 Highest weight 222 lbs in Nov 2010. Current weight 135 lbs.
Meds: Exforge
A1C October 7, 2011: 7.0:mad:; FBG: 120

A1C December 12, 2011: 6.3; FBG: 117
A1C March 19, 2012: 5.7; FBG 84 :D
September 2012...back to 7.0.....
Weight loss surgery VSG, 9 October 2012, new life begins, BG readings in the 80s as of day 3 post op:D:):D:)
January 9, 2013 A1C 5.1; FBG 79 :D:D:D

Miss Milly

Miss Milly

• Members
  • 301 posts
Have you had antibiotics or other treatment for this?
Otherwise I would think a normal low carb diet is probably still the best way to go forward - unless you have a reason not to. An ulcer does need careful handling - I am not sure which foods might disagree with it.

geoblewis

geoblewis

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationCentral California
  • I am a:Type 2
I'm about to get tested for it next month, but in the meantime, a friend turned me on to taking grapefruit seed extract. Also learned that aloe vera gel can help. If I have this, I'm going to have a problem because I'm allergic to penecillin and sulfa drugs, the standard treatment for this.

blufloyd

blufloyd

• Seniors
  • 1,314 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Chile peppers or capsaicin supposed to prevent that too. I push hot when I can.....

modcarb

modcarb

• Seniors
  • 659 posts
I have had H-Pylori and it is not fun. I take Mastic Gum capsules to prevent it.

modcarb

modcarb

• Seniors
  • 659 posts

I'm about to get tested for it next month, but in the meantime, a friend turned me on to taking grapefruit seed extract. Also learned that aloe vera gel can help. If I have this, I'm going to have a problem because I'm allergic to penecillin and sulfa drugs, the standard treatment for this.

Various drug regimens have been proposed for the initial treatment of H. pylori infection (table 1). These include triple, quadruple, or sequential therapy regimens.

Triple therapy — The regimen most commonly recommended for first line treatment of H. pylori is triple therapy with a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) (lansoprazole 30 mg twice daily, omeprazole 20 mg twice daily, pantoprazole 40 mg twice daily, rabeprazole 20 mg twice daily, or esomeprazole 40 mg once daily), amoxicillin (1 g twice daily), and clarithromycin (500 mg twice daily) for 7 to 14 days. Increasing the doses of PPIs has small effects on eradication rates [6]. A longer duration of treatment (14 versus 7 days) may be more effective in curing infection but this remains controversial [7-9]. A meta-analysis suggested that extension of PPI-based triple therapy from 7 to 14 days was associated with a 5 percent increase in eradication rates [9]. Most studies included were based upon amoxicillin-based triple therapy. We suggest treatment for ten days to two weeks. The combination of lansoprazole-amoxicillin-clarithromycin is available in a daily dose convenience packaging, PrevpacĀ® (TAP Pharmaceuticals, Inc).

Metronidazole (500 mg twice daily) can be substituted for amoxicillin, but only in penicillin-allergic individuals since metronidazole resistance is common and can reduce the efficacy of treatment (see 'Antibiotic resistance' below).

Ela

Ela

• Seniors
  • 2,233 posts

Ulcer-causing bug tied to higher diabetes risk | Reuters

Interesting....

I was tested positive for this bacteria.

Me too, but my doctor said if I have no syptoms, I don't need treatment...:dontknow:.

Did you treat yours?

"In some ways, being a well-controlled diabetic is an ongoing science experiment" Scratch

Diagnosed 4/11 A1C=10.8
6/11 A1C = 7.8
8/11 A1C = 5.7
11/11 A1C=6.1
1/12 A1C = 6.2
5/12 A1C = 5.9 Finally!
8/12 A1C = 6.1 for NO REASON
12/12 A1C=5.5
4/13 A1C = 5.4
7/13 A1C = 5.8
2/14 A1C = 5.8

8/14 A1C = 5.6 Yay! Finally as expected!
LCHF diet. Metformin 500X2, Ramipril 2.5, Magnesium Citrate, Chromium Picolinate, Milk Thistle.

Julias

Julias

• Seniors
  • 503 posts

Me too, but my doctor said if I have no syptoms, I don't need treatment...:dontknow:.

Did you treat yours?

OMG!! Yes! I got the full treatment with two different antibiotics and a PPI for 14 days, then PPI alone for another 14. I had no symptoms but did have a small ulcer so definitely got treated. Now have to go back and see if it is gone. Why leave an ulcer and cancer causing bacteria even if you are asymptomatic?

And certain studies suggest that it is somehow linked to diabetes. Get rid of it if you can!
JuliaS

Weight loss surgery VSG, 9 October 2012, new life begins, BG readings in the 80s as of day 3 post op:D:):D:)

jillybean

jillybean

• Seniors
  • 1,282 posts
There are theories that gut flora (bacteria) play a major role in type 2 diabetes. This is why some people think that intestinal bypass procedures (like RNY and DS) have such a profound initial impact on diabetes. Many WLS patients also take probiotics daily after their surgery, so it could be yet another piece of the puzzle. Personally, I take a strong probiotic 4 times daily.
*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

geoblewis

geoblewis

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Personally, I take a strong probiotic 4 times daily.

I've been taking a probiotic for nearly a year and only recently switched up to a brand with a broader spectrum of strains in it (18). The bottle says to take up to two capsules a day on an empty stomach. It has 24 billion CFUs at time of manufacture. Is that strong enough?

I'm trying to add foods like kim chi to my diet during the day for added benefit. But the only way I really like the stuff is on top of a good hot dog! So I roast an Applegate Great Organic beef hotdog, put it on top of a couple romaine lettuce leaves, pack on the kim chi and have a nice treat a couple times a week.

Miss Milly

Miss Milly

• Members
  • 301 posts

There are surely alternative antibiotics to penicillin so ask your doctor about this.

Julias

Julias

• Seniors
  • 503 posts

There are surely alternative antibiotics to penicillin so ask your doctor about this.

I am also allergic to sulfa drugs and didn't have to take any.
JuliaS

modcarb

modcarb

• Seniors
  • 659 posts

See post #6 about alternative treatment drugs.

gphx

gphx

• Seniors
  • 576 posts
From what I can see the study didn't prove causation, it found correlation. People typically have elevated bg spikes long before being diagnosed diabetic by definition. This high blood glucose can provide a food source for microorganisms. In fact that's been postulated as the reason for tooth loss in diabetics, high sugar levels in the gums provide food for dental bacteria.

Kind of a chicken and egg scenario. I'm not saying the reverse is necessarily true either just that more study is needed prior to reaching conclusions.
T2, diet and exercise, 5'11" and 152 lbs.
if I vary from a very low carb diet my bg can range from 50s-280s in one day despite a now barely normal A1C
under control at the moment thanks to low carb but diabetic for life

MrsMia

MrsMia

• Seniors
  • 2,036 posts
In one of my coconut oil books it states that Lauric acid kills H-pylori. And lauric acid is found in abundance in coconut oil.

Mia

Diagnosed Type II in DKA- 4/9/09, A1c - 13.7
Off all diabetic medications as of 3-19-2012
1 baby aspirin daily

Low carb diet
Daily Cod liver oil, organic raw whole foods multivitamin,
folic acid, curcumin, ubiquinol,and 4 mg.astaxanthin
4/09 - A1c - 13.7 :eek: :eek:

Current A1c - 5.5
:)

non est ad astra mollis e terris via
There is no easy way from the earth to the stars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users