• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Nana215A

Nana215A

Advanced Member

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
:confused: Has anyone else recently received a request via CVS Pharmacies, or any other pharmacy, to fill out and send in a 4 week testing log form that Medicare supposedly is requesting them to submit? This is supposed to be a way for Medicare to figure out whether you are testing too often and using too many strips per script, I am assuming. I'm just not sure if this is legitimately being asked for by Medicare or is this a CVS thing. The logs sheets are to be mailed back to a CVS address in Texas, BTW.

:(

Nana

I am a 69 year young Type 2, Diagnosed April 2010
Victoza 1.8 once daily along w/2mg Glimeperide
Lisinipril, Coumadin, Carvedilol, Pravastatin, Celebrex
I am pacemaker dependent
Original A1C 8.4
Newest A1C 6.0 :D:D:D

Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow. Make it count.

NoraWI

NoraWI

• 500 plus
  • 1,750 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
  • I am a:Type 1
Yes, it IS a Medicare thing. I have been filling them out once every 6 months for several years. It is to show Medicare that, indeed, you ARE using as many strips as you claim. What's to keep one for filling them out randomly? Nothing. This last time they requested 6 mos. worth of records, which I provided. It was a bother but I did it. I made an Excel sheet for this purpose and filling it out is not much of a hassle. It is modeled on the WalMart sheet that I used to fill out when I got supplies from them. Now I get strips through Animas along with my pump supplies.
NoraWI
T1 since 2002, MDI since 2004
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,245 posts
Out of curiosity, do you have to complete a log, or can you print a report from your meter and provide that?

Jen

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,965 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
Let me see if I can clarify this a little better. Medicare has a ceiling on how many test strips they will provide per day. For me, type 2 using insulin, it's 3 test strips per day. I do not have to fill out any logs as I'm within their cap. Now, I just got off the phone with Medicare concerning this and the lady told me that if a doctor prescribes more strips than Medicare allows...they will pay for the strips...but you will have to show them a log that you're actually using those strips.

Nana215A

Nana215A

Advanced Member

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Jen -

I was sent about 6 copies of log sheets that have spaces for 4 weeks of logs per sheet. I found it to be a bit weird, though, since I've been testing and receiving test equipment and supplies for almost 2 years and only now am receiving this log request. I usually got my supplies through a medical supply house but recently switched to getting them through my pharmacy. My endo says I can now get away with testing only twice per day but I don't feel "in control" unless I'm testing 3-4 times per day.

Nana

I am pacemaker dependent
Original A1C 8.4

don1942

don1942

• 500 plus
  • 580 posts

Out of curiosity, do you have to complete a log, or can you print a report from your meter and provide that?

Jen

When I was requested to send in my log, I printed out a report from Carelink and it was acceptable. Subsequently, I realized I could get my strips cheaper under my private prescription plan with no limitation or log requirement.
Diag T2 1993
Started Minimed 03/12/10 CGMS 4/29/10
Symlin as needed
Metformin 1000mg x 2
Pravastatin 40mg x 1
Zetia 10mg x 1
Vitamin B, C, D, E, Fish Oil

jenb

jenb

• 500 plus
  • 4,245 posts
Glad to hear, Don, that your meter-provided reports are acceptable. I would really hate having to do it manually when the information is already available!

Nana - can you download your meter info to your computer and generate reports? Also...in my mind, more frequent testing means better control, so see if you can get your doctor in your court. Twice a day doesn't provide enough information. Proof that you're making good use of your testing is in your great A1C improvement! Great work.

Jen

art

art

• 500 plus
  • 2,025 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
My script is 3 times a day and Liberty Medical has asked for 3 month logs for Medicare.

I asked if I could just e-mail them from my phone.
No e-mail.
I wanted to know what century they lived in

Art

worstday.jpg

gphx

gphx

• 500 plus
  • 576 posts
I know there's some abuse of Medicare in the reselling of unused strips but this seems like a huge violation of privacy to me. Reselling unused Oxycontin and other drugs is a much bigger problem. Do they ask them to fill out logs to show they've taken all their meds or just diabetics?
T2, diet and exercise, 5'11" and 152 lbs.
if I vary from a very low carb diet my bg can range from 50s-280s in one day despite a now barely normal A1C
under control at the moment thanks to low carb but diabetic for life

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,965 posts
  • Location95965

I know there's some abuse of Medicare in the reselling of unused strips but this seems like a huge violation of privacy to me.

I'm not sure how that's done. Medicare requires that all bottles of test strips come with a manufacture's label that says 'DME/MEDICAL BENEFIT Patient Use Only'. You cannot resell a bottle of test strips that has that on it.

Moonpie

Moonpie

• 500 plus
  • 3,895 posts
I am on medicare. last year I used rite aide & did not get a log request, this year I switched to cvs & I did get an envelope of logs mailed to me, it is no big deal to fill them in, but sometimes, I only test twice a day, & save the strip to test 4 times a day when eating a new food or recipe.

However, for the first 2 months of the year, I pay full price, as I have not hit the deductible, so I am paying out of my own pocket, full price for the test strips, yet they still want the logs.

I think they have different rules for insulin users though. My vials do not have the 'DME/MEDICAL BENEFIT written on them.
09/15/2009 DX
A1C Sept 2009 7.7 . March 2012 5.2
A1C Nov 2009 6.4 July 2012 5.4
A1C 01/15/2010 5.6 12/12 5.4
A1c May 2010 5.6
A1c July ( 10 weeks no meds) 5.9
A1c Dec 2010 5.6 no meds since May :)
A1c March 2011 5.7
A1C Aug 2011 5.5
A1C Dec 2011 5.2
came off Metformin 500mg on 05/11/2010 to control with diet & exercise.
Previously 50 to 100 carbs now I try to limit it to under 50 per day.

Nana215A

Nana215A

Advanced Member

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Sadly, Jen, I happen to be a Mac addict (we use Macintosh computers only) and my One Step Ultra Mini has no software for the Mac mnor do they plan on having it in the near future. I wish it were that easy.

Nan

Nana

I am pacemaker dependent
Original A1C 8.4

Nagshead2100

Nagshead2100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
They live in the same world as Farm Fresh. I was told they have to have the PAPER Copy of testing on hand in case Medicare checks. Can just see rooms of file cabinets.

patticakes789

patticakes789

• 500 plus
  • 243 posts
I use sugarstats.com to log everything simply because I like it better than the gawd awful One Touch software. You can manually log everything or upload from several different meters. I just print out the web logs for my endo - I bet you could do the same for Medicare. if I had to keep paper logs - it would never happen - I'd lose my logs, spill coffee, forget to write things down...Lord knows I am scatter brained as heck!
Type 2

Dx: 11-May-2012, FBG 330 :eek:
Rx: Metformin 1000mg BID, Diovan - Lipitor stopped 9-Sep-2012
Diet: VLC/HF (~30 carbs daily)

HbA1c @ Dx: ~12s (11-May-2012)
HbA1c: 5.4 (30-Aug-2012)
HbA1c: 5.3 (30-Nov-2012)

Pain is a given, misery is optional.

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,726 posts
Like Bountyman said, Medicare requires you to send in a log to your test strip supplier if you are a type 2 on insulin and you use more than three strips per day. I'd like to know who the idiots are that think that three strips a day for a type 2 on insulin is enough to control your glucose levels, but that's a topic for another time.

I finally got my doctor to prescribe more than three strips per day. He told me that he prescribed three per day because Medicare wouldn't pay for more than that and I told him they would, but I'd need to send in a 30 day log for them. He decided that he'd prescribe 6 strips per day to see if Medicare approved that many and if they did, then the next time he'd prescribe what I really wanted, eight strips per day. I just finished my 30 day log for the 6 strips per day and sent that to the medical supply company, so I should be getting my strips next week.

I create my log the hard way....I scanned the log sheets that the medical supply company sent me into Photoshop, then use Photoshop to enter in all of the readings. I do this because I can use the same log sheets that I scanned in to Photoshop over and over again. By using Photoshop, I can enter in my BG readings and add effects to the text so that it looks really nice.(I use a blue color text and I add an effect that bevels and embosses the text.) Once the log is finished, I print it out and mail it to the medical supplier.

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

Mamasgirl

Mamasgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am caregiver to my 85 year old mother and we just had to fill out the log again for Walmart. Getting the strips was a real hassle this time. They had partially filled the last script and we wanted to pick up the remainder of that script. Took us over a week to get the strips. Mom went without testing and we just winged it. Never good with her. She is type two, but must test three times a day, minimum and her numbers are always a surprise. Everything hinges on what she eats, the time between meals, how she is feeling that day, etc. Several other health issues plague her and make it difficult to manage. They always need a diagnostic code at Walmart, but in this case since it was the remainder of a script we thought it would be easier to get them. Think again. Dealing with them is very difficult. Last year I had to file all of Mom's insurance for her medications because they just ignored her supplemental insurance and she was paying very high prices. Trying to solve the issue and wondering why she paid so much I discovered their error. They told me they don't do any more insurance filings once the transaction is complete and I could file for the funds if I wanted to. But, only my mother could pick up her prescription records from them. They re-thought that when I made a fuss and said that I would have to bring her in on her hospital bed (she has one at home) and she would be glad to pick it up. The insurance people were more than kind and helped me tremendously. Then Walmart told us it wouldn't happen again, but now they are no longer running the secondary insurance. The people at Walmart are rude and impossible to deal with. Most times it is not me picking up the meds, as I rarely get out of the house, and they make it miserable for me to coordinate pickups. They repeatedly call here and tell us that the scripts are ready and how much money is needed. However when I schedule someone to go and pick them up, they are not ready or all of them are not ready (even thought they tell me they all are) or they "need" something else and often they are out of stock totally. None of those situations help since I don't have anyone to just run back and forth at their beck and call. I don't know what the solution is to all of the requirements imposed to get these meds, but I do know Mom has been diabetic for well over ten years and is now insulin dependent. Also, how can the expect the elderly to keep up with conforming with these regulations when some are lucky they can still walk around and enjoy a day. Since I am the sole caregiver for my mother, it is difficult to keep all of her life going as well as all of my life. I have looked into in home help from organizations, but the dollar amount required per hour is beyond us.

Moonpie

Moonpie

• 500 plus
  • 3,895 posts
Have you looked into getting the supplies vai mail order? Sorry you have had so much to deal with.
09/15/2009 DX
A1C Sept 2009 7.7 . March 2012 5.2
A1C Nov 2009 6.4 July 2012 5.4
A1C 01/15/2010 5.6 12/12 5.4
A1c May 2010 5.6
A1c July ( 10 weeks no meds) 5.9
A1c Dec 2010 5.6 no meds since May :)
A1c March 2011 5.7
A1C Aug 2011 5.5
A1C Dec 2011 5.2
came off Metformin 500mg on 05/11/2010 to control with diet & exercise.
Previously 50 to 100 carbs now I try to limit it to under 50 per day.

Minigunn3

Minigunn3

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

I am caregiver to my 85 year old mother and we just had to fill out the log again for Walmart. Getting the strips was a real hassle this time. They had partially filled the last script and we wanted to pick up the remainder of that script. Took us over a week to get the strips. Mom went without testing and we just winged it. Never good with her. She is type two, but must test three times a day, minimum and her numbers are always a surprise. Everything hinges on what she eats, the time between meals, how she is feeling that day, etc. Several other health issues plague her and make it difficult to manage. They always need a diagnostic code at Walmart, but in this case since it was the remainder of a script we thought it would be easier to get them. Think again. Dealing with them is very difficult. Last year I had to file all of Mom's insurance for her medications because they just ignored her supplemental insurance and she was paying very high prices. Trying to solve the issue and wondering why she paid so much I discovered their error. They told me they don't do any more insurance filings once the transaction is complete and I could file for the funds if I wanted to. But, only my mother could pick up her prescription records from them. They re-thought that when I made a fuss and said that I would have to bring her in on her hospital bed (she has one at home) and she would be glad to pick it up. The insurance people were more than kind and helped me tremendously. Then Walmart told us it wouldn't happen again, but now they are no longer running the secondary insurance. The people at Walmart are rude and impossible to deal with. Most times it is not me picking up the meds, as I rarely get out of the house, and they make it miserable for me to coordinate pickups. They repeatedly call here and tell us that the scripts are ready and how much money is needed. However when I schedule someone to go and pick them up, they are not ready or all of them are not ready (even thought they tell me they all are) or they "need" something else and often they are out of stock totally. None of those situations help since I don't have anyone to just run back and forth at their beck and call. I don't know what the solution is to all of the requirements imposed to get these meds, but I do know Mom has been diabetic for well over ten years and is now insulin dependent. Also, how can the expect the elderly to keep up with conforming with these regulations when some are lucky they can still walk around and enjoy a day. Since I am the sole caregiver for my mother, it is difficult to keep all of her life going as well as all of my life. I have looked into in home help from organizations, but the dollar amount required per hour is beyond us.

STOP using the wal mart pharmacy. Go ANYWHERE else that will accept your insurance. I have been here, done this, got the t-shirt. I now use a small local family-owned pharmacy that is covered under my insurance. The wal mart pharmacy is not worth the stress.

Becca
GD 2006
Type 2 2008 a1c 7.0
03/12 a1c 5.7
LDL 95 HDL 45 Triglycerides 150 Total 170
BP 90/60

“It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it.”
Lou Holtz

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts

I know there's some abuse of Medicare in the reselling of unused strips ...

glucose strips | eBay

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

confussedt2

confussedt2

• 500 plus
  • 199 posts
HI,I have this happen to me this year as was testing 6times a day before and after each meal,learned just recently that PRESIDENT OBAMA took 716 billion dollars from MEDICARE to fund
his OBAMACARE health plan this not a political thing just the facts at least that is what i gather from the news.
One other thing that people may have failed realize is the cost of 100 strips at RITEAID is $132.00 per 100 strips , 6x365=2190 strips per year and this for something that has around for i believe
about 30years,the people making these strips should have their R/D costs back by now,then you figure the number of millions of people using the strips and you will the costs add up quickly.
10/17/2010
glucose-139
creatinine0.99
calcium 8.7
total cholesterol 171
trigl. 194
hdl cholesterol 36
tot/hdl 4.75
A1c 6.8
average glucose 148
Levemir
metfor