- - - - - blood hungry low sugar symptoms

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

CJ_

CJ_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've always been able to tell when my blood sugar is low. I feel weak, shaky, and incredibly hungry. Any kind of food tastes good when my blood sugar is low, I've seriously eaten things I normally think are disgusting when my blood sugar has gotten very low and the symptoms are extreme. Recently I've developed a new symptom that is common, sweating. I'm curious has anyone else ever developed new symptoms for low blood sugar? Also, I've never seen hunger listed as a symptom of low blood sugar, but I feel it and it makes sense, your body requires food to fell better/normal so you feel hungry. Anyone else get crazy hungry when their blood sugar goes low?

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
Hi CJ,

Over the years, symptoms of low blood sugar can definitely change. I used to sweat, but it's very rare these days. I've had tingling in my lips, extreme bursts of energy, crazy dreams, but I've never been hungry - never. Just thinking of food when I'm low makes me nauseous. It's actually a good thing, because I don't often overtreat a low. I drink OJ or have glucose tablets. However, several years ago, I'd have a sugar feast of anything I could get my hands on. Then I'd end up in the 300s . . . at least.

We are all different in our low symptoms, but there are some, like sweating and shaking that are most common.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
For maybe the first 12-13 years with Type 1 I had the typical hypo symptoms - shaking, sweating, confusion and the ability to devour enormous quantities of food/drink in a very short time (okay, that last one isn't an official sign of low BG). I don't recall actually feeling hungry but I knew I had to eat/drink and it's hard to stop once I started. I had a tendency to not stop eating until I actually felt better, rather than treating the low and waiting a bit for the food/drink/whatever to kick in.

Eventually I lost those warnings. Soon, the only symptom I had was vision that would start going darker and darker. Usually my BG was so low at that point my brain didn't connect my lack of vision with low BG. I'd just get frustrated and squint at the computer or book or whatever I was trying to read, trying to make it out. I could go from feeling perfectly normal to unconscious very fast.

Sometimes my mouth or tongue would feel numb or tingly. That never happened early on. I remember a few times I'd eat a banana when that happened and it tasted weird.

Sweating is definitely a classic sign of hypoglycemia. I woke up drenched in sweat many times. I'd end up having to sleep on top of blankets because my sheets & mattress were completely soaked. While it's not good to have no warning signs, I am glad I don't end up aoked with sweat anymore. I also no longer panic when I am low so I don't overtreat them anymore.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

Kkirwan

Kkirwan

• 500 plus
  • 194 posts
Can you have hypo symptoms even if your numbers aren't that low? My 30-day average is about 125, but I've felt some of those symptoms around 109. Was hoping to use that as an excuse to skip the gym but I knew that wasn't too low.

TrickyTreeFrog

TrickyTreeFrog

• 500 plus
  • 2,117 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Yes Kkirwan you can have those same symptoms ....your body has been use to the high numbers and when you start to hit below that you will get what is called "false" lows symtoms......as you let those feeling pass (but be sure to test and it is a false low) you will see that they will go away.

I use to get those false low symptoms and now that my body is use to the nomal numbers below 100 I will ALWAYS check if I feel a low and most of the time I get that feeling again when I hit anything below a 73.

Hang in there your headed in the right direction with this.

Hugs

Da Fwog

Ability is what you're capable of doing.... Motivation determines what you do.... Attitude determines how well you do it."

“Be the captain of your ship :captain:~ take control"

DX'd Type2 - 9/8/10.......BG Doc's office 320
HB -A1C
Sept '10 - 13.8
Nov '10 - 8.2
Dec '10 - 6.5
Jan '11 - 5.8
GHb - A1C
Mar. '11 - 7.2 (or- a 5.4 HBa1c reading)
HB - A1C
Jun. '12 - 5.9
Metformin 500mg x 2 
LCHF diet and I eat to my meter

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,762 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia

Hi CJ,

Over the years, symptoms of low blood sugar can definitely change. I used to sweat, but it's very rare these days. I've had tingling in my lips, extreme bursts of energy, crazy dreams, but I've never been hungry - never. Just thinking of food when I'm low makes me nauseous. It's actually a good thing, because I don't often overtreat a low. I drink OJ or have glucose tablets. However, several years ago, I'd have a sugar feast of anything I could get my hands on. Then I'd end up in the 300s . . . at least.

We are all different in our low symptoms, but there are some, like sweating and shaking that are most common.

How so true Jan,
I can remember the days when I was low in the 1970's as balance was a worry and sweats and weakness and the need for food was my fix but back then in the 1970's people think we are not allowed to have sugar of any kind and I was getting to the point of going to the kitchen and help myself to at least a OJ from the fridge but oh no my family had other ideas. so after a ring to the doctor and mom was definitely confused to give me sugar. So half an hour later, FOOD AT LAST. :confused: Today things are more understandable but I don't sweat, Shake, I don't even worry!! I just casualy go to the pantry and look for jelly beans. :)

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
You can also have hypo symptoms if your BG is dropping quickly. If you had been at a higher number and it started dropping quickly you can feel hypo, even though you may still be higher than normal.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

Soxmeup

Soxmeup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I used to get symptoms around 100 too and now at closer to 80. Shaking, sweating, heart racing, vision tunneling...and not so much as crazy hungry as a specfic intense desire to clear out the entire M&M's factory down the road. :)

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,762 posts

and not so much as crazy hungry as a specfic intense desire to clear out the entire M&M's factory down the road. :)

LOL I can just see the diabetic police looking for diabetics who are low inside the factory. Besides we all know getting just about anything will do to get out of a low. OJ is the fastest of course. ;)

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

Chanson13

Chanson13

• 500 plus
  • 473 posts
I think your symptoms of low BG can change over time. I basically never get the sweaty, shaky feelings that I used to when I was younger. I think I have learned to feel hungry when I am low. The symptoms depend upon the situation, too. If I am low and going lower fast, the symptoms are different. If I'm slowly going low and just staying about the same level, I might not have any symptoms at all.
Type 1 since 1976
Pumping since 2003

Hooterville

Hooterville

Hey, I like you!

• 500 plus
  • 5,941 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I was regularly getting in to the 60's and I could just feel it. I'm not sure if I would say it was hungar pains but I could tell I needed to eat and felt an intense need to do so. Usually, when I'd test to check, I'd correctly predicted being in the 60's.

Once I got to 47. It was scary. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to some acorn squash seeds I was eating. My tongue got all numb and felt big. I thought my airway was going to swell up. Then I remembered I should test and was at 47. After i got some carbs in me, the tingly and funny feeling tongue went away.

I've never felt hot and sweaty from it. Maybe that happens if one goes even lower or it just doesn't happen to me when I go low.

daniela1219

daniela1219

• 500 plus
  • 280 posts
Lately I've been having chest pain when I go low. I've never heard of people having that low bg symptom.. Weird..

jenann1968

jenann1968

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok, here's a weird one, no symptoms AT ALL until it's so low it's scary...like seriously it has to be at least under 45 for me to feel it...let me tell you, it scares the bejesus out of me when that happens while i'm driving, because, well, you know driving UNDER 45!!! so anyhow, i have become a huge fan of these sport "gels" the runners use to get carbs while they are racing, or whatever...they taste better than the glucose tablets, cough, (chalk), cough, do..and they work FAST...fast enough for me that i now don't overeat when low because i'm not freaking out i haven't had enough yet while i still feel low. oh, and they have 'em at walmart, too if it helps (at least they have them at mine)

Kenton

Kenton

• 500 plus
  • 389 posts
  • LocationSomeplace warm and humid
  • I am a:Type 1.5
I have woke up a couple times drenched in sweat and all confused.
But something I've also noticed is when mines in the 60's I am very hard to be around.
I suspect if I were a drunk I'd be a mean one.

garl7

garl7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
My friend has type 2 Diabetes, which she has been controlling for about 5 years with diet and exercise (I am am also a diabetic type 2). She called today saying she could not get her sugar higher than70. she would eat something and the number would raise, sometimes to 170, but if she did ANY activity, whatsoever, like showering, or even if not, within 1/2 hour her blood sugar number was below 70. She told me she was dying. She said she was shakey and couldn't think. She went to 2 hospitals who did blood tests and said nothing showed in her blood and that she was nuts and needed xanax. Do you, or anyone have any idea what the he** is going on with her. I've known her for a loooooong time and she knows her body well. She is not nuts but we can't think of what to do or where to go. Anyone???? and ideas???? Please. Thanks for any information. garl7

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,762 posts
garl7, If she's low then she would have no energy to do anything so the ER would be a place to ask??
With me I just loose concentration and go into a daze and be bleh. But that's me. Is she Obese?? or thin??

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

William V

William V

• 500 plus
  • 255 posts
  • Locationnear Vancouver, BC, Canada
What did she eat for The low and how much? Did she follow up on her first intake(juice or tabs) with more lasting food items? The initial intake varies depending on how low you are and how much g of dex4 or other sugars it takes to move up x amount. This may give some direction. Hope all is well in hand.

Dx 2001/08 T2 13.6 FBS A1C 10.7
2001/11 FBS 5.3 A1C 6.9
2002/06 A1C 5.5 2010 A1C 7.0
2003 A1C 5.6 2011 A1C 7.5
2007 A1C 6.2 2012/03 A1C 8.8
2008 A1C 6.5 2012/06 A1C 10.5
2009 A1C 7.1 2013/03 A1C 6.6

Insulin NovoRapid, 12/2012 pump.

William :pcguru:

JJM335

JJM335

• 500 plus
  • 758 posts

ok, here's a weird one, no symptoms AT ALL until it's so low it's scary...like seriously it has to be at least under 45 for me to feel it...let me tell you, it scares the bejesus out of me when that happens while i'm driving, because, well, you know driving UNDER 45!!!

This is not weird - it is called hypo unawareness. If you have a lot of low BG episodes your body will become accustomed to functioning at these BG levels and you will start to lose many of the symptoms. It is quite common, particularly amongst T1's who are trying to maintain their BG levels as much as possible within the normal range, which can result in a lot of hypos.

I agree that being hypo unaware can be quite scary - in your case driving under 45 has been a bit of a wake-up call. [When I tested at 1.9 (28) after driving on an urban motorway (freeway) during rush hour I knew I had to do something about it.]

The only way regain a lot of your hypo-awareness is by avoiding hypos. It may take some time for your body to "reset" itself (perhaps a couple of months) during which you really have to keep low BG episodes to an absolute minimum (and that means no 45's). It can be difficult to avoid hypos altogether and you may have to run your BG a little higher than you have been used to doing.

You also may need to think about why you are having hypos. If you are on MDI, you might want to consider using a pump - there is good evidence that this can be very effective in reducing hypos.

Best wishes
Joel

T1 since 1977
MM522/Apidra since July 08
Animas Vibe/Humalog since Nov 13
CGM - Self Funded - now with Dexcom G4

Glucoweb

Glucoweb

• 500 plus
  • 162 posts
Usually I get very short tempered. If it is a very rapid drop I do get severe sweats. I remember one time in particular when I was in Washington DC by myself for business and had a free afternoon, so I did some site seeing. I was at the WWII memorial on the National Mall and started feeling it get low, and confirmed that by testing. So I decided to head back to the hotel. I honestly have no memory of getting on the metro and taking it to the station near my hotel, not memory of going into the restaurant and ordering the food. Only when I was halfway done eating did I actually realize I was sitting in a restaurant eating. So I lost about 20 minutes or remembering how I got there. It was scary to say the least. I probably should have just gotten a regular soda, or some candy close to where I was. Now I usually have something for lows with me, when I travel, especially when I travel alone.
Glucoweb
diagnosed 1995 pumping since 2000
Pump: Tandem T:Slim

Kenton

Kenton

• 500 plus
  • 389 posts
  • LocationSomeplace warm and humid
  • I am a:Type 1.5
garl7 Did she try changing to a different bottle of test strips?
I found out if mine get exposed to to much humidity they give false readings they read high if my BS was 145 they might say it's 195.
So If I get a reading that does not seem right I'll grab a fresh strip from a new bottle and check.
Not sure what happens to strips as they age or are exposed to heat though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blood, hungry, low, sugar, symptoms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users