The Power Of Food

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts
My food prescription differs from hers, and I expect yours might too. But nobody should deny the need for good nutrition.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Gladtobehere

Gladtobehere

• 500 plus
  • 1,116 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I can see how most people would see her suggestions as radical and indeed they are a little different than my diet.

But I agree that we all need to get a lot more fruit and vegetables into our diets as well as the omega 3s and even the meats suggested.

I have no doubt the her diet would not kill us BUT the typical North American diet is killing us. Albiet in a slow and expensive manner.

Ela

Ela

• 500 plus
  • 2,183 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Thank you for posting this, XMenace!

Hmmm...my diet is not too much different from hers. I mean, she didn't recommend any fruit that I can't eat! (And I was afraid of that when started to watch the video). Berries are fine for me just as all greens and tomatoes and all things she mentioned. I actually like and eat turnip and broccoli, cabbage - basically everything on her list. I even like seaweed and now will make sure, I eat seaweed salad more often. All in all it looks like I'm on a right path and I'm very happy about it as I had not much help from the medical community.

"In some ways, being a well-controlled diabetic is an ongoing science experiment" Scratch

Diagnosed 4/11 A1C=10.8
6/11 A1C = 7.8
8/11 A1C = 5.7
11/11 A1C=6.1
1/12 A1C = 6.2
5/12 A1C = 5.9 Finally!
8/12 A1C = 6.1 for NO REASON
12/12 A1C=5.5
4/13 A1C = 5.4
7/13 A1C = 5.8
2/14 A1C = 5.8
LCHF diet. Metformin 500X2, Ramipril 2.5, Magnesium Citrate, Chromium Picolinate, Milk Thistle.

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts
I eat the same things, but my internal sugar making factory and insulin resistence almost forbid high volume and anything but minimal carb content. Still experimenting. I plan on taking on her triad of veggies, less volume, and I'm stopping by the market after work for some dulse. I hate dulse, but maybe I can mix it with chicken or chop some into chilli.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.

Ela

Ela

• 500 plus
  • 2,183 posts
But she didn't recommend any carbs, did she? I mean she didn't say; Don't eat bread (but a picture was showing bread crossed over, lol). But her concept was to eat more leafy greens and non starchy veggies and that's exactly the thing we should try to eat.

They do have some carb content, but you can't even compare it to the bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and all that wonderful stuff most Americans and actually most of civilized world eats. Quantities though...well, I just eat the full plate of salad or stewed veggies with some meat for lunch and dinner. My breakfast is still kind of "SAD" thing....but it's the smallest part of my food intake.

What food on her list gives you the problem?

"In some ways, being a well-controlled diabetic is an ongoing science experiment" Scratch

Diagnosed 4/11 A1C=10.8
6/11 A1C = 7.8
8/11 A1C = 5.7
11/11 A1C=6.1
1/12 A1C = 6.2
5/12 A1C = 5.9 Finally!
8/12 A1C = 6.1 for NO REASON
12/12 A1C=5.5
4/13 A1C = 5.4
7/13 A1C = 5.8
2/14 A1C = 5.8
LCHF diet. Metformin 500X2, Ramipril 2.5, Magnesium Citrate, Chromium Picolinate, Milk Thistle.

Gladtobehere

Gladtobehere

• 500 plus
  • 1,116 posts
  • I am a:Type 1

Thank you for posting this, XMenace!

Hmmm...my diet is not too much different from hers. I mean, she didn't recommend any fruit that I can't eat! (And I was afraid of that when started to watch the video). Berries are fine for me just as all greens and tomatoes and all things she mentioned. I actually like and eat turnip and broccoli, cabbage - basically everything on her list. I even like seaweed and now will make sure, I eat seaweed salad more often. All in all it looks like I'm on a right path and I'm very happy about it as I had not much help from the medical community.

Same here. I eat cabbage every day red and green. Broccoli regularly, berries more when they are in season and actually taste like berries. A Granny Smith apple almost every day but I understand that many diabetics can not tolerate the apple.

Lately, I have been excluding the starchy carbs (rice, potato, etc) from my dinner. and doing the small romain lettuce with a can of salmon or eggs, or cheese, beets, 3 bean salad, both soaked in vinegar and not that sugary junk that come with the jar and a little dressing. I only take 1/2 my usual carb counted insulin with the expectation to do a correction at 2 hours. (If I pump all the insulin I am LOW at 2 hours) It takes quite a while to consume such a salad plate. I have certainly eaten more than enough but the BG results at 1, 2, 6, and 10 hours are extremely encouraging. 8 mmol is a typical BG at 2 hrs being the typical spike.

Dulce / seaweed I have enjoyed the few times I have tried it, but it is NOT a typical item in the grocery store I go to. :) I will look in the Asian market I go to occasionally. Fortunately I like sardines, canned salmon/tuna, sushi and other kinds of fish, which I get a couple times a week. So I figure I am getting more omega 3s than most people.

I have always liked these food items even as a kid and 20 years before being diagnosed diabetic, so I don't find it difficult to continue eating them now.

I still eat a low carb , low GI bread and peanut butter for breakfast and some kind of sandwich (same bread) for lunch, with quite reasonable BG results.

So, I can say my diet is not hugely different from hers either.

I just don't believe it will cure me in 9 months. Nor do I feel the need to evangelize kale, or steak and kidney, as yummy as they are. :)

But I do believe that everyone would be better off /healthier moving in the green leafy vegetables direction and away from the packaged, sugar diet that seems typical. The further away.......the better!

Moonpie

Moonpie

• 500 plus
  • 3,895 posts
we eat tons of greens, love all types of cabbage etc, turnips ( both root & greens ) etc, we eat veg two or three times a day, I try & use any left over veg in breakfast scramble, or else we fry some fresh mushrooms & tomatoes. or zucchini or bell peppers. I use carrageen seaweed for home made puddings, it is a great thickener. We also eat kelp noodle.
09/15/2009 DX
A1C Sept 2009 7.7 . March 2012 5.2
A1C Nov 2009 6.4 July 2012 5.4
A1C 01/15/2010 5.6 12/12 5.4
A1c May 2010 5.6
A1c July ( 10 weeks no meds) 5.9
A1c Dec 2010 5.6 no meds since May :)
A1c March 2011 5.7
A1C Aug 2011 5.5
A1C Dec 2011 5.2
came off Metformin 500mg on 05/11/2010 to control with diet & exercise.
Previously 50 to 100 carbs now I try to limit it to under 50 per day.

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
Not sure you get much iodine from the kelp noodles, compared to whole seaweed.

I like Laver for mine!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Moonpie

Moonpie

• 500 plus
  • 3,895 posts
oh I don't eat them for the iodine, I eat them as they are a good cheap, low carb filler.
09/15/2009 DX
A1C Sept 2009 7.7 . March 2012 5.2
A1C Nov 2009 6.4 July 2012 5.4
A1C 01/15/2010 5.6 12/12 5.4
A1c May 2010 5.6
A1c July ( 10 weeks no meds) 5.9
A1c Dec 2010 5.6 no meds since May :)
A1c March 2011 5.7
A1C Aug 2011 5.5
A1C Dec 2011 5.2
came off Metformin 500mg on 05/11/2010 to control with diet & exercise.
Previously 50 to 100 carbs now I try to limit it to under 50 per day.

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts

What food on her list gives you the problem?

The foods are fine. It's teh quantity that's the problem, the nine cups of veggies. I'm lucky to eat one cup.

Peterson

Peterson

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi friends,......
Its a very good point and i agree with the all reviews.Food have more importance in our life.We cant
live in with out foods.So we should be eating energetic foods for good health and good fitness.

Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have that book, really good.

geoblewis

geoblewis

• 500 plus
  • 209 posts
  • LocationCentral California
I eat like this, and I love it. For dinner tonight I had kale, asparagus with garlic, cauliflower, a big salad of greens, a sauce for my salmon made with freshly grated ginger, shallots and squeezed orange juice cooked down into a syrup. Delicious!

But when she showed the slide of the kale, it didn't do anything for me. However, when she showed the slide of the sesame-crusted dinner rolls, OMG! I thought I could smell them! I've been eating a Paleolithic Diet for almost a year now and I'm still jonesing for a crusty sourdough dinner roll with butter! When is that going to stop?!

Georgia

Type 2
2006; weight: 353 lbs; initial A1c 6.9%
2012 weight 295 lbs; A1c 6.08%

8/2014: blood sugar not managed properly, hovering in the 300s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users