Rasberry Ketone WARNING

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
My wife and I watch Dr Oz just about every day. It happens to be on when I am fixing dinner for the two of us. We watched the episode on Rasberry Ketone and my wife wanted to give it a try. I ordered it the same day right after the show was over. It took several weeks to get the RK in, Dr Oz has a way of selling things.

Wife took her first dose on the past Saturday, Sunday she took 1 morning, 1 evening and so forth. Monday she said she felt odd, by Tuesday mid morning she had tremors so bad she could barely walk, extreme anxiety, hot and sweaty. I then began to look up side effects of the RK, which most websites say there are non known. She stopped taking it last night and I did a little more reading into the matter. Come to find out buried in a few web pages is warnings not to take this if you are on Antidepressants, Asthma, Diabetes, CVD, or anxiety meds. It raises your Norepinephrine and your adiponectin. The adiponectin is not the problem its the rise Norepinephrine that causes all the problems.

Today she is still suffering some side effects but they have reduced in intensity. Wondering now how many days it will take for it to clear her system. Not much info on half life of RK.
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

geoblewis

geoblewis

• 500 plus
  • 209 posts
  • LocationCentral California
  • I am a:Type 2
I am so sorry this has happened for your wife! I really don't like Dr. Oz and I quit watching his show only a few weeks into the first airing. I find he emotionally manipulates people and terrorizes us all about health issues. His style is very alarming to me.

Would you share the websites where you found this info? I have a friend who owns a healthfood store and people are clammoring for the products Dr. Oz promotes. I am scared that someday she's going to sell something to someone and they'll get a similar reaction, or worse, and she'll get sued.

Georgia

Type 2
2006; weight: 353 lbs; initial A1c 6.9%
2012 weight 295 lbs; A1c 6.08%

8/2014: blood sugar not managed properly, hovering in the 300s

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• 500 plus
  • 6,186 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Hope your wife will be ok soon.

By the way, do check the research. Raspberry Ketone has NEVER been tested on human beings as supplement. It's an ingredient used in perfume manufacturing.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
Have been doing my research about it now. My wife can be very persuasive at times. I purchased this before I had time to do any reading. She is doing better, but soon after she took her morning meds which include a Antid. the symptoms although less intensive came back.

Hope your wife will be ok soon.

By the way, do check the research. Raspberry Ketone has NEVER been tested on human beings as supplement. It's an ingredient used in perfume manufacturing.

Asprin 2-6 325mg per day

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
Raspberry Keytone Touted as Miracle Fat-Burner by Dr. Oz

Dr. Khan also notes that that raspberry ketone may not be suitable for people with a number of different health conditions:
“I would not recommend this product to diabetics without speaking to their doctor because of the risk of blood sugar fluctuations. The increase in norepinephrine may cause glucose to be released in the blood while adiponectin would lower it. I would also be hesitant in recommending this to people on antidepressants or anxiety medications as the increase in norepinephrine may possibly make them become anxious or agitated. People who have heart issues or high blood pressure would also not be good candidates for raspberry ketones because norepinephrine can have effects on blood pressure and heart rate. This may also have an effect on people who have COPD or asthma conditions and may make their conditions worse.”

A small part of the whole article. Still not much info on this stuff. We validated this warning in our house hold.
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day

Gladtobehere

Gladtobehere

• 500 plus
  • 1,116 posts
Sorry about your wife, but thats the risk anyone takes with Doctor WWW, or some of these TV wizards who appear in magazines at the check out isle. There is always truth somewhere in their message, but it is a good idea to ask your own doctor and to do the research before you send money to doctor TV. They are all playing on the billion dollar health concerns of people. AND GETTING RICH!

sawyerp1

sawyerp1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I also saw the Dr. Oz show, my husband taped it and we both thought that would help him get motivated to move. I am a type II diabetic on metformin and my husband is insulin dependent. After months of not being able to find Rasberry Ketone at any health store (they were our) I found the Dr Oz site and ordered it throught the site. Well it came and I took my first capsel that night then one the next morning and notice a slight rise in my glucose readings. I took another that night and noticed I could not read the letters on the television and I just did not feel right. I took a glucose reading and wow, it was triple my normal readings. I took an extra dose of my metformin and in 20 minutes my glucose reading started coming back down. I purposely did not take any Rasberry Ketone the next day and my readings were still not where they usually are, they were still a bit high. After about 5 days my readings were back to normal and my upset stomach was gone. I am also on blood pressure meds and my BP climbed up over 30 points on both numbers once the RK was out of my system I am back to normal. I don't know for sure if it was the RK, but I will not be taking any more of those capsels and neither will my husband. I wish I had found this website prior to ordering the RK I would not have wasted the money (that we really don't have to waste). I hope you wife recovers as well as I did.

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
She was back to normal with in 3-5 days. Bad stuff ain't it.
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day

Bsy

Bsy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for the information. My mom is diabetic and was thinking of taking it.

I'm not diabetic but would lie to share my experience. I do have an autoimmune disease that has not been diagnosed but they think it might be early rheumatoid arthritis. Anyway, I took a raspberry keytone that contained several other ingredients including African mango, reservitol, etc. not sure which ingredient was the culprit, but within an hour of taking it the first time... My joints and muscles felt tight and painful and I became very thirsty. It lasted at least a couple of hours before bed. When I awoke the next morning I was fine. the product is called Rasberry Keytones Lean Advanced Weight Loss by MaritzMayer Laboratories.

k_dub

k_dub

• 500 plus
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationWyoming
I had never heard of it before. Thanks for the warning. It sounds a little too good to be true anyhow.
Kelly

Current A1C: 6.0%
Diagnosed with LADA June 2008
Animas One Touch Ping March 2009
Dexcom Seven March 2010 --> Dexcom G4 November 2012
Apidra

Mom to Nicholas born 1/4/14. Ask me about diabetes and pregnancy!
First trimester A1c: 5.7%
Second trimester A1c: 6.1%
Late second trimester A1c (25 weeks): 5.7%
Third trimester A1c (35 weeks): 6.0%

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about, but you refuse to investigate" Dr. Wayne Dyer

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
Dr Oz has transitioned from respected heart doc to woo and **** peddler. Wife is reiki master also selling junk to the gullible. At this point if Oz said the sky was blue, I'd have to look outside to check and be sure.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

sweetstar

sweetstar

• 500 plus
  • 1,946 posts
  • LocationMaryland's Eastern Shore
  • I am a:Type 2
I am so grateful for this thread. I had just read an article on line about Raspberry Ketones and thought it would be good for me. I have most of my weight in the belly
and thought it would be helpful. I actually looked for it today in Wal-mart and they didn't seem to have it for sale. Nothing on the shelf and no empty space.
Anyway, I will stay clear of it and tell any friends that think about trying it to research and talk to their doctor before trying it.

Not impressed with Dr. Oz either. Stopped watching after a couple of weeks.
Most Recent A1C 1/14 5.6
7/13 5.7
2/13 5.8
9/12 5.8
5/12 5.4
12/11 5.7
7/11 5.7
3/11 5.6
8/10 5.9
11/10 6.2
Diabetes Med
Metformin 1000mg twice a day.

Diagnosed October 1998

I learn something new everyday!!

JJB82

JJB82

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I check, recheck, and check again whenever I decided to add a supplement to my medication cocktail. There is a reason why your doctors ask for a list of ALL our medications (including OTC, vitimines, and supplements). I also use to watch Dr. Oz but it didn't take long for me to feel like he's jumped on the "gazillion dollar weight loss wagon." I may still tune in if the show has something I'm interested in...but for the most part...I don't think so.
Jj

dnadeau

dnadeau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I too recently became interested in raspberry ketones. I am in the final stages of breast cancer treatment and know that taking off excess body fat is key to my long life. I checked with my med onc before purchasing. Since I had a HER2+ cancer I have to be very careful not to get any hormones, natural, sythentic, hidden or otherwise. She made it very clear that they needed to be 100% all natural. Well that was not any easy task. I finally found them at NutraBio. 100% natural no additives in a vegetable capsule. 250mg each to be taken twice a day. Quite expensive but exactly what the doctor ordered. Since I have started taking them, only about a week I do feel a metabolisim boost. I do not weigh myself because I get weighed every 21 days at my clinic appointment. I am anxious to see if there is any change. I do have htn and take 2 bp meds but I have felt no side effects related to my bp. Also. my husband is a type 2 diabetic and he has started taken them with me. He has not had any spikes in his readings (he tests 4 times a day) if anything they have been a little more level and he has been able to take a little less insulin. I am not an exercise freak but I do get up and get some exercise everyday. I don't think you can take anything and just sit and get thin. I am on a life path to healthy and hope this continues to be a helpful hand in that. Oh, by the way, I agree, not a Dr Oz fan either. I first heard of raspberry ketones on a cancer website.

SueL4

SueL4

• 500 plus
  • 532 posts
I just had to jump in to this earlier thread about Dr. Oz. I wish some journalist would take him on and expose him. He's completely reckless in his recommendations and if a diabetic took even 10% of the products he pushes, s/he'd be in a world of trouble.
A1C: 7/13 - 5.7
4/15/12 - 5.7
6/26/12 - 10.1
lost 103 pounds since 6/26/12
low carb, low protein diet
Meds: Metformin 1000 mg
20 mg Benicar
50 mg XL Toprol

davepc

davepc

• 500 plus
  • 124 posts
He's a snake oil salesman. The other day he was pushing milkshakes to spot reduce body fat which is impossible to do.
4/12 a1c 6.5 - dx
6/12 a1c 5.9
10/17 a1c 5.8
weight at dx: 304
now (10/17): 210

it's only me

it's only me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I am so sorry this has happened for your wife! I really don't like Dr. Oz and I quit watching his show only a few weeks into the first airing. I find he emotionally manipulates people and terrorizes us all about health issues. His style is very alarming to me.

Would you share the websites where you found this info? I have a friend who owns a healthfood store and people are clammoring for the products Dr. Oz promotes. I am scared that someday she's going to sell something to someone and they'll get a similar reaction, or worse, and she'll get sued.

I watched the show a couple of times when it showed on cable. I told one of my American friends the same thing, (about terrorizing and manipulating people) she said I was crazy for feeling that way.

Hope your wife is doing better soon.

SueL4

SueL4

• 500 plus
  • 532 posts
Terrorize is a good word for what he does. He frightens you, recommends every supplement and tea known to man, with total disregard for people's existing health conditions.
A1C: 7/13 - 5.7
4/15/12 - 5.7
6/26/12 - 10.1
lost 103 pounds since 6/26/12
low carb, low protein diet
Meds: Metformin 1000 mg
20 mg Benicar
50 mg XL Toprol

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts

I too recently became interested in raspberry ketones. I am in the final stages of breast cancer treatment and know that taking off excess body fat is key to my long life. I checked with my med onc before purchasing. Since I had a HER2+ cancer I have to be very careful not to get any hormones, natural, sythentic, hidden or otherwise. She made it very clear that they needed to be 100% all natural. Well that was not any easy task. I finally found them at NutraBio. 100% natural no additives in a vegetable capsule. 250mg each to be taken twice a day. Quite expensive but exactly what the doctor ordered. Since I have started taking them, only about a week I do feel a metabolisim boost. I do not weigh myself because I get weighed every 21 days at my clinic appointment. I am anxious to see if there is any change. I do have htn and take 2 bp meds but I have felt no side effects related to my bp. Also. my husband is a type 2 diabetic and he has started taken them with me. He has not had any spikes in his readings (he tests 4 times a day) if anything they have been a little more level and he has been able to take a little less insulin. I am not an exercise freak but I do get up and get some exercise everyday. I don't think you can take anything and just sit and get thin. I am on a life path to healthy and hope this continues to be a helpful hand in that. Oh, by the way, I agree, not a Dr Oz fan either. I first heard of raspberry ketones on a cancer website.

I have no doubts this stuff works, it only is a problem if you already have norpinephorin sp. problems or are taking meds to increase it.
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day

Rooty_Tooty

Rooty_Tooty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Google the phrase "define ketone". Everything I am reading indicates to me that ketones are byproducts of the process of digestion, often referred to as poinsons or toxics that can build up in the blood and the urine. Nothing that I have read, other than advertising, indicates to me that we should NOT deliberately ingest excessive quantities of ketones. Our bodies are already trying to expel them. They are of particular concern to diabetes patients.

As far as Dr. Oz is concerned, he is a very well educated and intelligent man and I'm sure he knows a great deal of valuable medical information. However, I am beginning to think that the almighty dollar has probably come to mean much more to him than helping his fellow man. He is starting to sound much more like a snake oil salesman as he tries to maintain his spot in the lucrative limelight and continue to rake in those big bucks. This is another one of those "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" instances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users