- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
All red meat is bad for you, new study says - latimes.com

Eating red meat — any amount and any type — appears to significantly increase the risk of premature death, according to a long-range study that examined the eating habits and health of more than 110,000 adults for more than 20 years.

For instance, adding just one 3-ounce serving of unprocessed red meat — picture a piece of steak no bigger than a deck of cards — to one's daily diet was associated with a 13% greater chance of dying during the course of the study.

Even worse, adding an extra daily serving of processed red meat, such as a hot dog or two slices of bacon, was linked to a 20% higher risk of death during the study.

"Any red meat you eat contributes to the risk," said An Pan, a postdoctoral fellow at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston and lead author of the study, published online Monday in the Archives of Internal Medicine.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

adiantum

adiantum

• 500 plus
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • I am a:Type 2
I saw this last night on the news & was alarmed at the negatives of bacon & I eat a lot of bacon .

The report really favoured fish & chicken

med free since dx type2 Dec07

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• 500 plus
  • 6,146 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
The problem with percentages (as no doubt everyone knows) is that they can be misleading. I recall a similar study showing red meat consumption increases your risk of pancreatic cancer by 70% or some similarly alarming figure.

It is easy to misread these stats as you are x% likely to die of Y if you eat Z. The truth is more subtle. For instance, say your actual basic risk of dying of heart disease is 10%. Red meat consumption increases this by 20%. That corellates to increasing your risk to 12% (not 30% as some might mistakenly believe.).so the actual overall increase here could've minimal - it's not clear from these stats.

In any case, you aren't going to see me cut back on the steakandbacon. Then again, I'm the sort of person that watched the PETA "if slaughterhouses had glass walls" video and concluded that the solution was to improve slaughter standards rather than to stop eating meat.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,787 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
69 years as a medium rare, meat-eatin' carnivore. When they ask me how I likes my steak...I tell 'em, "Bring that bad boy to the table, I'll hack off a chunk and ride the rest of it home!" If God wanted me to be a vegetarian...he shoulda' made the other animals faster and smarter. :D

janice21475

janice21475

Just me

• 500 plus
  • 3,747 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other
Face it, we are not getting off this planet alive!

We watch our carbs to the best of our ability and eat what God provides. There is nothing else we can do.

The present administration in DC has made red meat unaffordable for us, things do not appear as if they will be improving anytime soon, either.

At least we are not reduced to eating bugs - yet. . . :D

Janice

Husband, Type 2 = 22 units Lantus in the AM

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
I have cut back my bacon. Instead of having it every day, I'm saving it for weekends only. I've also started having chicken more often and try to remember to have fish twice a week.

You think some really smart cows put this study together?
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

The problem with percentages (as no doubt everyone knows) is that they can be misleading. I recall a similar study showing red meat consumption increases your risk of pancreatic cancer by 70% or some similarly alarming figure.

It is easy to misread these stats as you are x% likely to die of Y if you eat Z. The truth is more subtle. For instance, say your actual basic risk of dying of heart disease is 10%. Red meat consumption increases this by 20%. That corellates to increasing your risk to 12% (not 30% as some might mistakenly believe.).so the actual overall increase here could've minimal - it's not clear from these stats.

In any case, you aren't going to see me cut back on the steakandbacon. Then again, I'm the sort of person that watched the PETA "if slaughterhouses had glass walls" video and concluded that the solution was to improve slaughter standards rather than to stop eating meat.

That particular stat fiddle is irrelevant to this study - they are talking about net percentages of people dying over a long period of time, meat vs not. I'm sure there are a heap of detailed considerations though with how the data is dealt with here, I haven't read it in detail yet. I would not be so quick to dismiss it myself, but I'm not at all surprised you were quick to defend red meat though - I know your long term aims ;)
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

Face it, we are not getting off this planet alive!

We watch our carbs to the best of our ability and eat what God provides. There is nothing else we can do.

If God provides mass farmed meat, he would also provide soylent green if someone cared to produce it. The argument that current meat production is natural or that anything humans do is acceptable as God is behind it all, neither really work for me.

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

I have cut back my bacon. Instead of having it every day, I'm saving it for weekends only. I've also started having chicken more often and try to remember to have fish twice a week.

You think some really smart cows put this study together?

I honestly don't know if I'm going to cut down much more on red meat. I probably have it most days. This study, if it bears through, is a lot more compelling than the previous statistical findings against red meat (see Deus's comments) I think for the moment I'll concentrate on more quality, a little less, and keep cultivating a taste for alternative forms of protein.

IrinaHarr

IrinaHarr

• 500 plus
  • 402 posts
In Nebraska (home of Omaha Steaks) we are pretty sure its GREEN FUZZY meat that's bad for you :)

Lets face it, none of us (D) are likely to die early due to eating red meat. I would go with uncured bacon though, but that's just me - I get terrible skin itch after eating cured ham and bacon.

As a research scientist, one can often prove the idea he/she is fixated on. Remeber the guy who came up with "cholesterol is bad for you" idea and removed from his research statistics of each country that did not fit his data (like France whose population eat a lot of cholesterol rich foods and have low heart disease rate)?

In this research in question they hardly took into consideration other information of subjects' lifestyles.
11/7/11 DX FBG 386 A1c 18, 311lb
2/23/12 FBG 108 A1c 6.5, 291lb
3/15/12 281lb
6/5/13 311lb A1c 7.0
1/9/14 A1c 6.0
Metformin 500mg 2xday, multivitamin
Baby aspirin and Simvastatin once a day
30 min exercise x day, elliptical or air bike

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

In Nebraska (home of Omaha Steaks) we are pretty sure its GREEN FUZZY meat that's bad for you :)

Lets face it, none of us (D) are likely to die early due to eating red meat. I would go with uncured bacon though, but that's just me - I get terrible skin itch after eating cured ham and bacon.

Not sure what you are facing there - well controlled T1s, for example, have closed the life expectancy gap to within something like 2 years of their non-D conterparts. Whereas, if the study bears out, a 10% reduction may be something like 7-8 years. Additionally, it would be an assumption that the 10% does not get added on to the already reduced expectations of a diabetic. I don't know the life expectancy of a well controlled T2 (and I suspect stats woud be flawed/not up to date at this stage), but either way I don't consider a number of years off my life which may well be happy and healthy, something to casually shrug off. Each to their own.

As a research scientist, one can often prove the idea he/she is fixated on. Remeber the guy who came up with "cholesterol is bad for you" idea and removed from his research statistics of each country that did not fit his data (like France whose population eat a lot of cholesterol rich foods and have low heart disease rate)?

Doesn't really comment on this study though, does it. As a research scientist, I'm a bit surprised you seem to hold your entire field in such contempt.

In this research in question they hardly took into consideration other information of subjects' lifestyles.

Yes, this is definitely a dark corner of the study. Still in my book, it hardly deals a killing blow to staying open minded about this.

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

Not sure what you are facing there - well controlled T1s, for example, have closed the life expectancy gap to within something like 2 years of their non-D conterparts. Whereas, if the study bears out, a 10% reduction may be something like 7-8 years. Additionally, it would be an assumption that the 10% does not get added on to the already reduced expectations of a diabetic. I don't know the life expectancy of a well controlled T2 (and I suspect stats woud be flawed/not up to date at this stage), but either way I don't consider a number of years off my life which may well be happy and healthy, something to casually shrug off. Each to their own.

I should add that those amounts of time are just out of a hat and not based on the findings, and going to be more than the findings. I don't know what the amount of times are they talking about, and I'm not sure exactly how it converts to the idea of "time at the end". I'm just not entirely sure it follows that if you have a condition that may take you out early, you should not worry about other considerations that may also do so or hasten to do this.

karena

karena

• 500 plus
  • 102 posts
Red meat flat out bad: study

Flat out bad?!?

I don't listen to, read, or get all wigged out by studies. I remember when egg was good, then egg was bad, then egg is okay if you don't eat the yolk, then egg is okay but only this many....

The best study for us is the one we do on our own self. I haven't bothered to write a paper on my own study because who would read it or listen?

And ditto what Janice said, "we are not getting off this planet alive!" And if a study comes along and says that we will live forever when we are reduced to eating bugs I will ignore that one, too.
Karen
T1 MM Pumper

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

Red meat flat out bad: study

Flat out bad?!?

Yes (!??!) That's a paraphrase of the study title and general thrust of the article. This is a section of diabetes forums called "Scientific Studies" and it's often customary to indicate the study in the title.

I don't listen to, read, or get all wigged out by studies.

...which additionally begs the question as to why you are posting here if you are not reading the study and have no interest in the sub-forum subject.

As for getting "wigged out", that's completely in the eye of the beholder. I've been frankly amazed how fast people feel they need to defend their habits against some measly study or other, as if it's mere existence is a threat or challenge that must be rebutted. This is a place to post studies, that I did so doesn't mean I'm pushing it on you or even suggesting you take it seriously by default. It's here for consideration. If you get so "wigged out" at the mere presence of discussion about a study, I can only suggest avoiding sub forums and threads that get your goat.

karena

karena

• 500 plus
  • 102 posts
Subby, the wording "flat out bad" just made me chuckle for wording a scientific study. My comments were not directed at you personally.

I feel however that I should answer your question "...which additionally begs the question as to why you are posting here if you are not reading the study and have no interest in the sub-forum subject." - I find all matter of subjects interesting, and provide my own opinion and sometimes experience regarding them. I shall continue to do so, and will likely enjoy those sub forums and threads that get my goat. Thank you for your suggestion.
Karen
T1 MM Pumper

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
Wife saw that on the news, been on to me ever since. What it doesn't clarify is the majority of the people in the study were probably eating a SAD diet. High carbs, high saturated fat is highly bad for you from what I've reading. Body doesn't seem to know what to do with both. You have to pick one or the other in my opinion.
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

NoraWI

NoraWI

• 500 plus
  • 1,710 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
Who financed the study?
NoraWI
T1 since 2002, MDI since 2004
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

Subby, the wording "flat out bad" just made me chuckle for wording a scientific study. My comments were not directed at you personally.

I don't actually post that many threads, for someone who replies to a heap of them: when I do, I like to try and find a quirky title in some form or other, as long as it fills the function. The intent of "flat out bad" was to ironically suggest that there is bias here, and though we all know that irony is a dangerous art on a forum, I live in hope some people may pick up on it from time to time.

janice21475

janice21475

Just me

• 500 plus
  • 3,747 posts
  • LocationN. Central Fla
  • I am a:Spouse/Significant Other

If God provides mass farmed meat, he would also provide soylent green if someone cared to produce it. The argument that current meat production is natural or that anything humans do is acceptable as God is behind it all, neither really work for me.

Subby,

If you want to misunderstand me, it is your right. However, I hope you will read what I wrote again. I can not afford red meat, I eat what I can afford and am grateful to have it. I am grateful to God for it because everything comes from Him, whether you give Him the credit, or not. We don't eat packaged hamburger meat/pink slime. We eat chicken. I can recognize chicken meat on the bone and that is how I buy it.

Husband, Type 2 = 22 units Lantus in the AM

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Janice, I think I understand you. You said everything comes from God as a point of something to be grateful for. If that is the case, you must be grateful for a lot of bad things.

That's something I don't agree with. You're truly welcome to hold it. You disagree with me, that's fine, but do you really think I read you wrong?

Such a comment from me is not giving you a rise or intending to offend you. I'm a philosophy student. It's my constant job to consider and test ideas and concepts. I don't like the idea of justifying everything because it comes from God, because that can be used to justify, well, anything at all. Again, you and others are welcome to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users