- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

genefegan

genefegan

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm asking for my dad. What can you do when you are a diabetic and can't afford the insulin? We're on rough financial times due to his kidney transplant and my mom's triple bypass surgery. My dad is disabled but was denied for disability. We've had to ask his doctor for samples and it seems like he thinks we're just trying to get out of paying for it. We're not those kind of people. If we could pay for it we would! We do, when we have money! But we're out of luck. Our church says they won't help my dad because we've had to rely on them in the past. We have no one to get money from and we don't qualify for financial assistance. If this keeps going we could very well end up without a home. My Doctor told me that i cant find cheap Insulin in a pharmacy online. I well take a chance to order from them she told me its from Mexico online site. Can any one tell me if you guys think it well be a good choice? sHE SAID THEY DO NOT ASK YOU FOR PRESCRIPTION.

Edited by notme, 29 August 2012 - 03:28 PM.

daniela1219

daniela1219

• 500 plus
  • 280 posts
Hi genefegan, welcome to the forum!

You should check out this thread: http://www.diabetesf...-insurance.html
There is some advice on how to "survive" without insurance. I think your dad may qualify for the assisting programs insulin makers have since he has low income. Good luck!!!

genefegan

genefegan

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank You! I really apreciate your advice i just hope i cant survive. I am so broke. I checked the website Medicines Mexico and they have it their so cheap but well see how it goes. :):):confused:

daniela1219

daniela1219

• 500 plus
  • 280 posts
Why don't you give it a try and fill out the forms? Free is better than cheap :)

adiantum

adiantum

• 500 plus
  • 3,691 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • I am a:Type 2
Try that company you've recomended in all your posts. They may also be expert providers of spam
Dx Dec 07 Type2
Control...nutrition & exercise

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,753 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Be careful when ordering anything from Mexico or Canada. I've heard and read too many horror stories of how the drugs aren't handled properly and sometimes very weak. My guess is, watered down. It's kind of a pay what you get type thing.

Ask the doctor about using NPH and/or R depending on what he's on. Both of those I believe cost around $40 compared to the average of $110 for Lantus/Novolog/Humalog/etc. They have different profiles and actions, but can still be used. I was on them for 20 years, so obviously they won't hurt.
●Blue Ash, Ohio Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

makiro

makiro

• 500 plus
  • 910 posts
Try going to the manufacturer's website and see if they have an assistance program near your location. If you are in the USA, then yes, they should. I know that the makers of Novolog and Levemir do. The Makers of Epidra do as well, it's a discount card for a certain a mount per month. May be vial forms, but hey it's free.

Also take a look at local community clinics, they may offer services on a sliding scale, same with community hospitals and city hospitals such as Parkland here in my area. Many clinics will have cheap to free testing supplies and pen needles. Same with the medications.

As far as ordering from mexico, be weary. If you have a friend who goes to mexico a lot, you can have them pick it up from the local pharmacy, just make sure it's in a cooler when getting it back. The sad part about mexico though is that with all the cartels going around, it's not worth the risk anymore.

Check out the two three sticky threads in this section of the forums, they really do help!
25mg Acarbos

Diagnosed Type 2 April 2010 = Diagnosed Overactive Hypoglycemia September 2013

A1C 5.9 Feb/2012 = A1C 5.4 June/2012 = A1C 5.1 October 18/2012 = A1C 5.1 August 2013

Weigh Losst: Gaining healthy weight back now
01/2012 298 = 03/2012 276 = 05/2012 260 = 06/2012 245 = 07/2012 215 = 08/2012 200 = 09/2012 195 = 10/20/12 190 = 3/16/2013 158

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,462 posts
We order our meds from Canada and have never had problems. We have not ordered insulin, though. I would call them and ask about the way they ship and whether everything is 100% guaranteed. You can also get the older insulins at Walmart without an RX very cheap. They are not perfect but maybe better than nothing. If you dad is disabled I would work with a lawyer to get him Disability Insurance. The Federal Government also has a Pre exhisting condition insurance. Check out Home | HealthCare.gov I would definitely contact the insulin manufacturer and see what programs you are available for. Have you checked out Medicaid to see if your Dad quialifies. If he has no income, I would think he would.
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 4 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-3 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 63

genefegan

genefegan

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Try that company you've recomended in all your posts. They may also be expert providers of spam

Why dont you stay away from me ok. am not spam! BS

Frantastic

Frantastic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Always re-apply for disability. I think they just automatically say no the first time to see how hard you will fight. I was first denied, but got it the second time around. The more reports, paper records, etc. that you can supply, the better. I've used the program offered by Lilly to get insulin for free.

NoraWI

NoraWI

• 500 plus
  • 1,562 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
  • I am a:Type 1
If your dad is over 65 and T1, he could qualify for an insulin pump through Medicare. They also pay for supplies and insulin when used in a pump under Plan B. Also try Medicaid. Manufacturer's assistance is also a good option. I bought insulin from Canada several years ago. The only problem with it was that they didn't package it adequately to protect from temperature variations. Otherwise, the insulin was fine... exactly the same as what I was buying in the U.S. at twice the cost. I wouldn't buy drugs from Mexico.
NoraWI
T1 since 2002, MDI since 2004
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010

keitha749

keitha749

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Be careful when ordering anything from Mexico or Canada. I've heard and read too many horror stories of how the drugs aren't handled properly and sometimes very weak. My guess is, watered down. It's kind of a pay what you get type thing.

Ask the doctor about using NPH and/or R depending on what he's on. Both of those I believe cost around $40 compared to the average of $110 for Lantus/Novolog/Humalog/etc. They have different profiles and actions, but can still be used. I was on them for 20 years, so obviously they won't hurt.

We have been ordering from Canadian pharmacies for at least 6 years now and have never had any problems. I think if there were horror stories about them the big drug manufacturers would be all over it and shouting " I told you so".

ramon

ramon

• 500 plus
  • 2,797 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
I pay $20 for the exact same insulin that costs me $55 here in the states. Have ordered from Canada for 2 yrs now. It even comes in the exact same box from the same company. I don't understand why there should be such a price differance

messiii

messiii

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This really answered my problem, thank you!

Injecto

Injecto

• 500 plus
  • 1,588 posts

Yeah....'cause Canada is a "high risk" country with a horrible reputation for any form of quality control...and the shipping times from say Ontario to Michigan is WAY longer than California to Florida....

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

Yeah....'cause Canada is a "high risk" country with a horrible reputation for any form of quality control...and the shipping times from say Ontario to Michigan is WAY longer than California to Florida....

I think the problem with some Canadian pharmacies is that they're not actually located in Canada. Two people I know ordered drugs (not insulin) online from "Canadian" pharmacies only to have the medication arrive from India.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

JanetP

JanetP

Crazy Auntie

• 500 plus
  • 2,966 posts
  • LocationA small town in the western NC mountains
I recently got free pharmacy discount cards from a group called Healthcare Alliance because I am about to lose my insurance, too. I haven't used them yet but they may be worth checking into.

Janet

A spade is a spade, not a D-handled earth moving implement.

A1C 5.9 2/14 Lab  Ooops! Time to get back on track!
A1C 5.7 1/14 home test
A1C 5.6 6/13 home test
Diagnosed T2 6/12, A1C 7.2, FBS 150

Januvia 100 mg daily
Levothyroxine 88 mcg daily

Atenelol 25 mg daily

Losartan 50 mg daily

Lithium orotate 120 mg daily

Pravastatin 20 mg daily

Fish oil 4 gms daily

ColaJim

ColaJim

• 500 plus
  • 100 posts
This thread is from 06-01-2012
ColaJim

‘Most people would rather die than think. In fact they do.’

JanetP

JanetP

Crazy Auntie

• 500 plus
  • 2,966 posts
  • LocationA small town in the western NC mountains
well, Duh!! I guess it pays to read everything, doesn't it? Why was it revived in the first place?

Janet

A spade is a spade, not a D-handled earth moving implement.

A1C 5.9 2/14 Lab  Ooops! Time to get back on track!
A1C 5.7 1/14 home test
A1C 5.6 6/13 home test
Diagnosed T2 6/12, A1C 7.2, FBS 150

Januvia 100 mg daily
Levothyroxine 88 mcg daily

Atenelol 25 mg daily

Losartan 50 mg daily

Lithium orotate 120 mg daily

Pravastatin 20 mg daily

Fish oil 4 gms daily

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users