- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

ktbrodie

ktbrodie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
I have recently switched from my minimed to Omnipod...I didnt think I would LOVE it as much as I do....Actually I forget sometimes that I am even diabetic! ANYWAYS...the cost of the Omnipod is so expensive...$580 per box of ten (last 30 days) that is with my insurance (have not reached my ded.)

Any one know where or how to get the omnipod's cheaper ?!?!
Katie
Type 1 Diabetic, 8 years now, minimed pumping it!

Kathryn10

Kathryn10

• Seniors
  • 755 posts
Wow that is super expensive. I thought I had it bad paying $500-$600 every 3 months for my Medtronic stuff ....

jbmacomber

jbmacomber

• Seniors
  • 1,901 posts
wow, thats high. does your insurance require you only use preferred providers? I was trying to find cheaper mm products and that was a problem i ran
into. good luck!
Diagnosed 2004
AIC 8/13 5.8
A1C 2/12 7.4

Started Insulin 2/12
Started Pump and CGM 5/12
Medtronic Minimed Pump
Meds:
Novolog,
Lisinopril
Ambien

GrammaBear

GrammaBear

• Seniors
  • 1,897 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • I am a:Type 1
Not sure if this link will help, but when I was using the OmniPod I ordered from here.

Results for Omnipod - Search | American Diabetes Wholesale

Type 1 - Dx April 2003

Medtronic Revel pump - August 2010
Dexcom Gen4 - Sep 2007

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,778 posts

Wow that is super expensive. I thought I had it bad paying $500-$600 every 3 months for my Medtronic stuff ....

Yes, it's expensive however that is one of the advantages of the Omnipod. Instead of a $6000 up front expense you spend maybe $1000. The rest of the cost is figured into the monthly supplies. I think over a 4 year time frame, the Omnipod vs. other pumps comes out within a few hundred dollars of each other. The problem is, I have a bad set with another pump, it's a $10 infusion set wasted. I have a bad set with a pod, it's $58 and the insulin inside wasted. That's my biggest gripe, you have to know almost exactly how much insulin you will use in that time frame. Too little, pod comes out (don't think you can add insulin), too much and you pitch it.

The Omnipod is for a very select group of pumpers in my opinion.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

Yes, it's expensive however that is one of the advantages of the Omnipod. Instead of a $6000 up front expense you spend maybe $1000. The rest of the cost is figured into the monthly supplies. I think over a 4 year time frame, the Omnipod vs. other pumps comes out within a few hundred dollars of each other. The problem is, I have a bad set with another pump, it's a $10 infusion set wasted. I have a bad set with a pod, it's $58 and the insulin inside wasted. That's my biggest gripe, you have to know almost exactly how much insulin you will use in that time frame. Too little, pod comes out (don't think you can add insulin), too much and you pitch it.

I think that over 4 years the OmniPod is way more expensive than a traditional pump. A box of 10 infusion sets for a standard pump can cost between $85 - $150, depending on the type of set. Cartridges/reservoirs are maybe $40.

I have a Minimed pump. I'm not actually sure what the list price is. I think the last time I got one my insurance was billed around $6,500 by Minimed. I use Silhouette infusion sets ($134 for 10 full sets) and reservoirs are $37 for 10. Assuming you change the set and the reservoir every 3 days, that's about $8,200 for the basic supplies for 4 years. I usually use a reservoir for 2 sets, so that's one way I can cut down the cost of supplies. I can also buy boxes of Silhouettes that have NO tubing, just the cannula, and save $19 a box. If I split my order between full sets and the cannula only sets, it adds up. So, $8,200 and maybe $7,000 and you're paying $15,000 over 4 years. This is assuming cash payments, of course!

If the OmniPod starter kit is $1,000, and I have no idea if it is or not, and a box of Pods is $580, that's $28,840 over 4 years. That's only if you can wear the pod for 3 full days and not run out of insulin. If you have higher insulin needs and need to change more often, it gets a lot more expensive. I know that they replace defective pods but if you knock one off by accident, you're paying for it.

I do agree that it's for a select group of people. I know many people love their Pods. But, if you have a high deductible like the OP has or have co-insurance or no insurance at all, it is way more expensive to use the Pod.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,778 posts
Yup, my math does match yours.

Omnipod - $1750 (posted by a user on CWD) start up cost
Pods - $580 per 10 or month supply
Total cost over 4 years is 1750+(580*48) or $29,590.

Animas Ping - $6500 start up cost
Reservoirs - $37 per 10 or month supply
Infusion Sets - $135 per 10 or month supply
Total cost over 4 years is 6500+(37*48)+(135*48) or $14,756.

Ok, traditional pumping is half the price. I think when they first came out is the last time I did that math and looking online the starter kit then was $850 and $300 for 10 pods. So using those numbers I get $15,250.

So over the years it appears that the Omnipod has had huge increases that essentially put it out of the market competing with anyone else. I saw massive complaints online about the ever coming costs increases. I can actually say in my 10 years of traditional pumping, I don't recall anything going up more than a few dollars.

●Police Dispatcher

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
Yes, when OmniPod first came out the cost was comparable and they made a big deal about that. I remember when people were complaining that the pods went from $350 to $450, I think. That's a huge increase. I know Minimed's reservoirs were $33/10 for a long time and maybe a year or so ago they went up a few dollars. I'm sure the sets did as well, but not by 30%.

For people with 100% DME coverage the Pod may be a great option. But if you have a 20% co-pay, or a large deductible, you may end up spending a ton of money out of pocket with the pod. My previous insurance went from 100% DME coverage to 50/50. I would have never been able to afford the OmniPod if I wanted it.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts
It's disheartening to hear these costs. You can't even get omnipod here, and if the prices are so high, I can see it even less likely to have a viable market translatable to other areas. I hope the other similar tubeless pumps are/can be more financially viable. if they are still happening... haven't looked into that lately.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
I know Roche bought Medingo, the company that was coming out with another patch pump. I haven't heard anything about that in awhile but I hope Roche/Accu-Chek hasn't abandoned it. That pump seemed like it had several significant features lacking in the OmniPod. There has been talk of Minimed producing a patch pump for some years now but nothing has come of it. I vaguely remember reading about another patch pump that only did boluses (normal bolus only, in whole units or maybe in steps of 2 units) but I can't remember the name of it. It seemed to be aimed at people with Type 2. For bolus only, I'd just stick with a pen.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

jenb

jenb

• Seniors
  • 4,245 posts
Yikes! I'll be sticking with MDI for 'til I'm old and gray (oh wait....I'm already there!). Syringes are dirt cheap, Novorapid cartridges cost me about $450.00 a year and Levemir cartridges another $720.00. I know pumpers love their tools, but as long as good control is attainable, MDI sure looks a bit more economical.

Jen

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

Yikes! I'll be sticking with MDI for 'til I'm old and gray (oh wait....I'm already there!). Syringes are dirt cheap, Novorapid cartridges cost me about $450.00 a year and Levemir cartridges another $720.00. I know pumpers love their tools, but as long as good control is attainable, MDI sure looks a bit more economical.

Jen

Right now, with my current insurance, it would cost me more money to do MDI! I'm lucky to have 100% DME coverage so I don't pay anything for my sets & reservoirs. On MDI, I would have a co-pay for syringes and/or pen needles. I would also have two insulin co-pays instead of just one, because I'd need both fast and long acting insulins.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

JJM335

JJM335

• Seniors
  • 759 posts

It's disheartening to hear these costs. You can't even get omnipod here, and if the prices are so high, I can see it even less likely to have a viable market translatable to other areas. I hope the other similar tubeless pumps are/can be more financially viable. if they are still happening... haven't looked into that lately.

I believe that with the newer patch pumps, much less will be disposable compared with the Ominipod. For example with the Cell Novo, the actual pump itself is re-used. Only the infusion set and attachment pad are disposable. That should cut the cost.

FWIW, in the UK the NHS estimates the NET cost of using a conventional pump (compared to MDI) at around £2000 per year (= US$3200) assuming replacement every 4 years.

Joel

T1 since 1977
MM522/Apidra since July 08
Animas Vibe/Humalog since Nov 13
CGM - Self Funded - now with Dexcom G4

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts

I believe that with the newer patch pumps, much less will be disposable compared with the Ominipod. For example with the Cell Novo, the actual pump itself is re-used. Only the infusion set and attachment pad are disposable. That should cut the cost.

Sounds sensible too. The throw away nature of the omnipod system has always seemed wasteful and excessive to me. I realise there may be many things going into the throw away decision, but good to hear future designs may be moving away from it.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

I thought the pump part of it still needed to be replaced periodically, maybe every 30 days? Or maybe that's the Solo pump... Still, tossing something every 30 days vs. 3 is a big plus.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,778 posts
That's the big thing I never understood with the pod and I think is the driving cost. You have batteries in there that will last for probably 5 years, yet, you throw them away after 3 days. Then all the electronics which should be good for a decade. Yet, 3 days, and you pitch it. If they made the two parts seperable with the electronic half reusable, they'd drop costs in half and probably pick up a much larger part of the market. Of course, I still don't like that nothing can be done from the pod itself. Leave your remote at home, ooops, sorry, you're SOL.

●Police Dispatcher

Ryumegami

Ryumegami

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

The fact is that things aren't the same everywhere... I pay $52 a month for one box of pods and if you call omnipod when you have a failure of one or it comes off they mail you a replacement pod free of charge... All they ask is you go to your PDM and they will help you, you give them the error code this way they can study how these pods can better work for you in the future. I was on Medtronic Minimed for several years and when the warranty went out and the meter started failing on me. I didn't have the funds to purchase another one for $5000, nor did Medtronic call me to inform me it was out of date... I found out when it completely stopped working and I had blacked out at work several times because it wasn't reading properly. Anytime I have had a problem in the past 4 years w Omnipod, they did what they could to help me. I am very satisfied and i'd rather pay a little more money for piece of mind... They will sit on the phone and help you until you don't need them anymore! I value that... I hope they get Omnipod out there for everyone... If you have the resources, I have Blue Cross Blue Shield and they work very well w Omnipod. The number for Omnipod if anyone is interested. 1-800 591 3455.. they will help you find out all your need to know....

2sweetfor30+

2sweetfor30+

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What is MDI

I'm currently an omnipod user. I may be changing due to the financial expenses...

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

What is MDI

I'm currently an omnipod user. I may be changing due to the financial expenses...

MDI is multiple daily injections. Pretty much what every Type 1 who is not pumping has to do. One or two injections of long acting insulin and an injection of fast acting before meals.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Diabetes Forums
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

Dudunakis

Dudunakis

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been on the Omnipod for 8 years, and have been on 4 different insurance plans, each requiring different costs for pods. I agree they are expensive, and have gotten quotes without any coverage from Insulet for a box to be $289. Currently Fallon claimed my pods were under DME meaning I had to pay 100% up to my $2000 deductible then it would be 70% covered by them. So, I have decided to call a third party supply company called "Neighborhood Diabetes" who I have dealt with in the past to see what they had to say about it being a "Durable medical equipment", when in reality it is disposable. They were so great, they took my member ID, called Fallon and explained to them the codes for processing my pods and god forbid they do fall under DME but a special Diabetes one which actually covers 100% of my pods. While this is based on the plan I have through my company, they atleast explained to Fallon the process, which Fallon would have never even looked into and I would have paid a fortune for my supplies without knowing it's 100% covered. I would recommend calling them, they are quick to reach, easy to work with and do all the leg work with your insurance company and even contacts your doctors office for authorization slips and scripts. I HIGHLY recommend you contact them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users