- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

bigdad7

bigdad7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
so i was at walmart to buy some more strips thinking 20 dollars for 50 and what do i see ....a new meater with strips running at 9 for 50 ....asked the pharmacist if this was just a promo or what ....he told me this is the new normal for this meter called the reli-on prime ...now i didn;t think the strips or the meter was the best quality not quite like my freestyle but can;t beat the price with no insurance just thought i would pass it on

jojeti

jojeti

• Seniors
  • 803 posts
I have had Relion's and they have been just as accurate as my Aviva. They just don't have all the bells and whistles.
Diagnosed Type 2 April 2010
Lantus 19 units
Metformin 1000 mg 2xday
Lisinipril w HCTZ 20/12.5 mg
Lasix 40 mg 2x day
Levothyroxine 112 mg/day
April 1, 2010, A1c: 7.9 (diagnosis)
June 17, 2010, A1c: 6.1 (c peptide 3.4, bgl 91)
August 5, 2010, A1c: 5.8
February, 2011, A1c: 5.6
August 24, 2011, A1c: 5.3 (c peptide 0.8, bgl 75)
February 17, 2012, A1c: 5.0
Diet: Low carb (< 30 gms a day, but try for less than 20 gms/day)
I am a member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals

bigdad7

bigdad7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
oh no it was acurate just the strips on the new meter seem to not fit in as smoothly as my pretty meters but at that price

TrickyTreeFrog

TrickyTreeFrog

• Seniors
  • 2,122 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
During the time we had no insurance we bought the "SideKick" 19.95 at Walmart and the top of the strip container is the meter with 50 strips. This item worked very well

Hugs

Da Fwog

Ability is what you're capable of doing.... Motivation determines what you do.... Attitude determines how well you do it."

“Be the captain of your ship :captain:~ take control"

DX'd Type2 - 9/8/10.......BG Doc's office 320
HB -A1C
Sept '10 - 13.8
Nov '10 - 8.2
Dec '10 - 6.5
Jan '11 - 5.8
GHb - A1C
Mar. '11 - 7.2 (or- a 5.4 HBa1c reading)
HB - A1C
Jun. '12 - 5.9
Metformin 500mg x 2 
LCHF diet and I eat to my meter

patricia52

patricia52

• Seniors
  • 2,513 posts
Thanks bigdad for posting this. I will have to check my local Wally World. My son needs to test because he is pre-d and has no insurance. Also this is cheaper than my copay for my Aviva. May become my new strips. Atleast my suppliment strips.
Patricia

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

sarah76

sarah76

• Members
  • 378 posts
I wish Walmart Canada has this.

shainesboostin

shainesboostin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Wow, is this real? Lol, I am going to walmart now!!!

patricia52

patricia52

• Seniors
  • 2,513 posts
It is real. I got the red meter for me and a blue one for my son. The clerk was surprised but the other clerk told her it was correct. Felt like Christmas in July.
Patricia

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

bigdad7

bigdad7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
ya the price blew me away just wish the meter had a light on the display like the older reli-on meter but really $9 dollars just blew me away

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
This just highlights what we all know - test strip prices are grossly inflated. I hope this spurs the big companies to lower their prices, but I doubt it will.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Diabetes Forums
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

bigdad7

bigdad7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
at least the mob only threatens to break your leg ......all the strip manufactures got you buy the short hairs it;s like pay up or go blind.....but they do have to cover their r & d costs so my guess the cheaper strips are older technology functional but prob not the latest and greatest

patricia52

patricia52

• Seniors
  • 2,513 posts
If they sell enough strips (and I think they will) they will quickly recover all technology expenses. The funny thing is all manufactors had this option. They were just to greedy to see that by reducing their price they would sell more therefore increasing their profits. I will will no longer have to skimp on testing at only $.18 per strip. These strips are are cost less than my co-pay on my regular strips.
Patricia

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts

at least the mob only threatens to break your leg ......all the strip manufactures got you buy the short hairs it;s like pay up or go blind.....but they do have to cover their r & d costs so my guess the cheaper strips are older technology functional but prob not the latest and greatest

How different from each other are all of the big, brand name strips right now? Is Accu-Chek really THAT different than Bayer or Freestyle or One Touch? All of those are definitely a far cry from the old One Touch strips (for the Basic and Profile meters) that gave you a reading based on a color change on the strips. Or my original Ames Glucometer where you could read the strips visually or put them in the meter to get a number. But all of the current strips seem kind of the same. When I peel them apart, they all have fancy little electronic looking things inside. Okay, at least the One Touch Ultra and Bayer Contour strips do, as those are the only brands I actually have in my possession right now. But I remember the Accu-Chek Aviva not being too different. So, I'm sure that when you peel apart the WalMart strips, they look just as advanced with futuristic metal things inside.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

sweetstar

sweetstar

• Seniors
  • 1,946 posts
  • LocationMaryland's Eastern Shore
Thanks for the tip. i have been using the Wal-Mart confirm and the strips are $20 for 50.
I bought the new Prime today. The meter is almost $17 but the strips are just $9. They
must be fairly new.
I did test the old and the new meter. The first time they were 1 point apart. The last 2 or 3
readings they have been 10 or so apart. Basic difference of the Confirm vs. my Accu-check.
So maybe these meters are really all about the same.
Anyway, I will watch to see how long before they raise the price.
Most Recent A1C 1/14 5.6
7/13 5.7
2/13 5.8
9/12 5.8
5/12 5.4
12/11 5.7
7/11 5.7
3/11 5.6
8/10 5.9
11/10 6.2
Diabetes Med
Metformin 1000mg twice a day.

Diagnosed October 1998

I learn something new everyday!!

bigdad7

bigdad7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
according to the pharmacist this is the normal price ....its on their 4/9 dollar medication list so the price should go nowhere .....what interests me is how long before this pushes prices down on other strips just wondering what insurance companies/pharmacies are actually paying for strips because i find it hard to believe they are paying full price

confussedt2

confussedt2

• Members
  • 199 posts
HI,I just bought 100 onetouch my insurance and i paid $132.00 for 100 test strips,these test strips were first issued i believe in
about 1980 if you can believe the internet,if so then you would think they should have gotten most if not all of their R&D back
by now.
Also if you were to extend these costs out to all of of the people that use the cost is enormous,if you test before and after each
meal that's at least 6 per day,times 365 days,times the millions of people that need to do this,then you compare this to WAL-MART
purchase price then how much we are being over charged.
10/17/2010
glucose-139
creatinine0.99
calcium 8.7
total cholesterol 171
trigl. 194
hdl cholesterol 36
tot/hdl 4.75
A1c 6.8
average glucose 148
Levemir
metfor
NOVOLOG

labrat

labrat

• Members
  • 211 posts
I'm gonna purchase one of the Relion meters. My insurance only covers 2 to 3 strip usage per day. I received my first batch of 100 for the Accu-Chek Ultra that I
am using. I think my copay for the strips and the meter was 30 to 40 bux. I received a Bayer Contour in the office at my dx, but my insurance company doesn't
cover Bayer products. Geeze @ the amount I pay for my "choice" insurance as it is! Can't live with it, can't live without it.
The prescription is for testing twice a day. I asked my NP and physician about this, they said insurance will not increase the amount of strips if you're considered
"controlled." Therefor...out of pocket, here I come. I'm still new and experimenting, and I test 4 to 6 times a day. Some meals I know won't spike me. I certainly
feel I need to test more than 2x's a day!
I've read mixed reviews about the quality of Relion, and Consumer Reports gives it a Best Buy. I think its worth the price for those of us who have to reach
out of pocket more often for things like this. I'll let people know my findings when I begin using it. Oh and which one I buy.

bigdad7

bigdad7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
not to hijack my own thread but being that they can sell them at 9 dollars and make a profit .....how much of the cost of strips on the shelves is marked up for insurance costs as i doubt anyone is running 9 dollar strips through their insurance so i am wondering if a large part of their savings is based on limited marketing and no need to pass costs of dealing with insurance on to us .....same as those walk in clinics for 25 or 40 that only take cash while a regular doc visit costs 70 to 100 just pondering

labrat

labrat

• Members
  • 211 posts

not to hijack my own thread but being that they can sell them at 9 dollars and make a profit .....how much of the cost of strips on the shelves is marked up for insurance costs as i doubt anyone is running 9 dollar strips through their insurance so i am wondering if a large part of their savings is based on limited marketing and no need to pass costs of dealing with insurance on to us .....same as those walk in clinics for 25 or 40 that only take cash while a regular doc visit costs 70 to 100 just pondering

I would say considerably marked up, and not necessarily insurance profit. I can only equivocate a bit to how list prices for laboratory testing are set at my place of
employment..a not-for-profit hospital. CMMS (Centers for Medicaid and Medicare) generally only reimburse about 1/4 to 1/3 of list price costs. They are
gradually reducing these rates, too. Many assays (and I can only speak for laboratory testing, not radiological, etc..but I assume a similar logistical/algorithm) cost a little to much more to cover the cost of performing the actual test vs that reimbursement rate. Insurance companies (private) usually have a contractual obligation with various hospitals, laboratories, out patient diagnostic facilities. There is variation between state requirements for insurance coverage, your level of coverage, etc. Many hospitals eat much of the costs differences for these CMMS reimbursements. Pushing some cost on the self-pays, increasing test costs. I perform a couple of tests by which a component is required by CAP and
other regulatory licensing agencies, but it's not reimbursed by CMMS at all. We eat those costs.
In the hospitals I've worked, financials have self-pays that let them establish a payment of 5% to 20% of the list price.
If you have private insurance..and depending on the insurance and your tier, you notice the contractual deductions on your Estimate of Benefits. Many times these
reflect 1/3, 1/4 or less of the actual "list price." Generally, our list price for services are 3.5 times the base cost of providing these services, just to recoup the 1/3 to 1/4 that we will receive from these agreements. Many insurances follow the CMMS protocol, and this will play even larger with the Health Care implementation.
We've been playing with increasing regulatory issues for a couple of years now, as if they weren't an enormous part of our job for decades anyway. I do digress...

So, right, wrong, appropriate, inappropriate, whichever it may be, I'm sure those companies (Roche, Bayer, Smith-Klein, etc) that produce home health
products are following a similar patterns knowing most will utilize their insurance (medicaid/medicare or private). Thus the increases in these medications and
devices. Patients are removed from the price point and negotiations, and physicians are moreso regulated by what insurances (and ultimately CMMS)
deem appropriate for treatment.
I'm not supporting the system, by any means, but I'm aware of some of the reasons for increases in healthcare costs. I don't think jumping off the cliff that we
seem to be doing will ultimately help.

Forgive the awkward breaks in my posting. On a silly netbook and it formats funny.

pcramer1

pcramer1

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationIT'S YOUR EARTH!!!
HI Sarah, Walmart carries testing supplies online--shipped to your home--try it??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users