Muscle Milk

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

bdelatte

bdelatte

• 500 plus
  • 724 posts
Does Muscle milk raise blood sugar levels for anyone that has tried it? I had the straberries and cream one this morning only 9 carbs and i have been high ever since. I have had the chocolate a long time ago and didnt have this happen. Didnt know if it was a common thing that raises it or not? I looked it up and said it can have affects on blood sugar but was all it said.
Diabetics are naturally sweet! ;)
Animas OneTouch Ping Insulin Pump
A1C 6.0

bdelatte

bdelatte

• 500 plus
  • 724 posts
Oh and prior to drinking this for breakfast my blood glucose was 70 beforehand so quite a huge jump if i say so myself
A1C 6.0

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,105 posts
Dunno what it is. How many carbs on the label? How much protein? 100% Carbs + 58% protein is your carb hit.
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

bdelatte

bdelatte

• 500 plus
  • 724 posts
Its like a protein shake. 9 carbs.....25 g of protein
A1C 6.0

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
I would have needed a little more than a half unit of fast acting insulin. Did you think since you were 70 you wouldn't need insulin? How high did those 9 carbs take you?
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

makiro

makiro

• 500 plus
  • 911 posts
Should not of raised it. Try to get the Muscle Milk Light. I drink the chocolate powder version of regular muscle milk and I don't have bgl spikes. Take note that I also had gastric sleeve done, but even before the surgery it would not spike me up.

Try to eat a slice deli meat like smoked turkey or smoked ham with your muscle milk. The muscle milk has enough protein that it shouldn't spike you up, plus the 9 carbs isn't all from sugar either.

If you are making your own with the powder, use skim milk :)
25mg Acarbos

Diagnosed Type 2 April 2010 = Diagnosed Overactive Hypoglycemia September 2013

A1C 5.9 Feb/2012 = A1C 5.4 June/2012 = A1C 5.1 October 18/2012 = A1C 5.1 August 2013

Weigh Losst: Gaining healthy weight back now
01/2012 298 = 03/2012 276 = 05/2012 260 = 06/2012 245 = 07/2012 215 = 08/2012 200 = 09/2012 195 = 10/20/12 190 = 3/16/2013 158

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
I'd be interested to know of any Type 1s who can ingest carbs without it raising bgs.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

bdelatte

bdelatte

• 500 plus
  • 724 posts
I took insulin with it. My bg was 70 to start with and i gave myself the amount my pump said to based on the 70 reading and the 9 carbs. I went up to a 227. Did a correction bolus for it and still at my reading before lunch it went up more to 236. finally went down in the afternoon.

Just cant understand how it would go from 70 to 227. I have never had that flavor before so assumed something is in it making it do that but i really don't know what. It only has 9 carbs so makes no sense.
A1C 6.0

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
You are right - that makes no sense! Unless you were already on the way up for some reason . . . I hate it when things don't make sense. Aren't we lucky?!
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

bdelatte

bdelatte

• 500 plus
  • 724 posts

You are right - that makes no sense! Unless you were already on the way up for some reason . . . I hate it when things don't make sense. Aren't we lucky?!

Yeah and lately it seems to be happening a lot more often in the past month. I have an appt next week so I am thinking adjustments for sure need to be made. Sucks when you stick to a strict diet, never cheat and eat low carbs and still have high numbers. Type 1 diabetes is really frustrating me this month....just when i had been doing so well the past year. I've been all over the place the last month..taking its toll on me for sure!
A1C 6.0

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
By your A1c, it looks like you are doing very well. Of course it doesn't tell the whole story, BUT it still says a lot. Sometimes, the changes are because of a new medication, extreme weather, changing hormones, increase/decrease in stress . . . and the list goes on. After all these years, about 90% of the time I can figure it out. But I never stop learning and tweaking. I think you are doing a very good job bdelatte!
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

bdelatte

bdelatte

• 500 plus
  • 724 posts

By your A1c, it looks like you are doing very well. Of course it doesn't tell the whole story, BUT it still says a lot. Sometimes, the changes are because of a new medication, extreme weather, changing hormones, increase/decrease in stress . . . and the list goes on. After all these years, about 90% of the time I can figure it out. But I never stop learning and tweaking. I think you are doing a very good job bdelatte!

Thanks and yes my A1c has been great the past year...brought it down significantly and its a true 6.0 just the past month has been **** and havent changed my diet. Guess I am just mad at myself b/c I know next week when I get my A1C it will probably have gone up from the 6.0 (which is the lowest ive ever had it) so I know I will be disappointed. Was hoping to break down into the 5's!..Maybe next time. Thanks for the positive words though :)
A1C 6.0

BrandiLynn

BrandiLynn

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
This may be absolutely of no help at all, since I am pre-diabeticish..but even Zero carb wheys mixed with water will double my blood sugars. I have had to switch to egg protein shakes because the whey does me in. BOO, because the egginess is definitely not super delicious :} But its a supplement and not a treat, so there is that!

davepc

davepc

• 500 plus
  • 124 posts

This may be absolutely of no help at all, since I am pre-diabeticish..but even Zero carb wheys mixed with water will double my blood sugars. I have had to switch to egg protein shakes because the whey does me in. BOO, because the egginess is definitely not super delicious :} But its a supplement and not a treat, so there is that!

What brand do you use? They whey market is not regulated by the FDA and lots of shady companies sell powder that is nothing more then dextrose with some flavor agent. It might not be you, it might be the powder not being what the label says it is.
4/12 a1c 6.5 - dx
6/12 a1c 5.9
10/17 a1c 5.8
weight at dx: 304
now (10/17): 210

BrandiLynn

BrandiLynn

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I had wondered if it was just a brand thing, so I have tried it with Optimum Nutrition, Jay Robb, Syntrax, and Protein Factory wheys. Samesame with those.

Good point though!

BrandiLynn

BrandiLynn

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I had wondered if it was just a brand thing, so I have tried it with Optimum Nutrition, Jay Robb, Syntrax, and Protein Factory wheys. Samesame with those.

Good point though!

Edit too late :} to remove Protein Factory and insert WheyNatural. I only went with the Protein Factory egg.

kingd

kingd

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Should not of raised it. Try to get the Muscle Milk Light. I drink the chocolate powder version of regular muscle milk and I don't have bgl spikes. Take note that I also had gastric sleeve done, but even before the surgery it would not spike me up.

Try to eat a slice deli meat like smoked turkey or smoked ham with your muscle milk. The muscle milk has enough protein that it shouldn't spike you up, plus the 9 carbs isn't all from sugar either.

If you are making your own with the powder, use skim milk :)

I drink the Muscle milk light and had no spike,I have tried other brands and spiked like crazy.

davepc

davepc

• 500 plus
  • 124 posts
I use Optimum Nutrition and my meter loves it.
4/12 a1c 6.5 - dx
6/12 a1c 5.9
10/17 a1c 5.8

davepc

davepc

• 500 plus
  • 124 posts

Hi all
Milk is natural food and drink and a lot of calories and vitamins in milk. Milk is the best source of calcium supply to our body. Calcium protects the body from major chronic ailments such as cancerous chemicals, bone loss, arthritic condition, migraine headaches, pre-menstrual syndrome, and obesity in children and aids in losing unwanted fats.

It's also full of lactose, which is a disaccharide sugar.
4/12 a1c 6.5 - dx
6/12 a1c 5.9
10/17 a1c 5.8

Leroy Kelly

Leroy Kelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Muscle Milk raises my blood sugar as well. I have stopped using it, even the chocolate. It is the amino acid L-glutamine that I have read causes the suppression of insulin. You might
read up on it and the influence it has on blood sugar for type II diabetics. Also, Muscle Milk contains homocysteine which, according to what I have been reading, can contribute to
heart disease. I have made the decision not to use anymore protein supplements and to rely on the protein derived from a balanced diet. With red meats, chicken, fish of all kinds, pork, etc. I don't think that I will become protein deficient. I have not seen an appreciable difference drinking Muscle Milk anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users