- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Sainthooligan

Sainthooligan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
After a bit of tooling around with my meter- I wanted to connect the meter up to download my results and wound up bulding the serial cable myself for less than $2.00 (hey, the parts store has to have their mark up..)
This info is likely already out here, but if not, maybe someone else will find this useful. So, here's a "how-to" and some other info for those that are interested.

I've included short instructions and an image on how you can make your own serial cable to connect up to your meter. I run Windows 7 64bit and an old xp box. If you have a machine with a serial port, you should be in good to go with the Copilot software. Since most newer machines do not come with a serial port any longer, you can make your own too or buy one and then you will also need to get a usb-to-serial cable. The other alternative is to find a place that sells the actual usb to 2.5mm stereo plug specifically for the meter.

That said, you could actually make the cable with my instructions (see below) to connect directly to a serial port. Otherwise you can make the cable and connect via USB to a "USB-to-Serial" converter and have the same results as the more expensive cables by also using something SIMILAR to this one : [url=http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RS-232-Serial-Converter-TU-S9/dp/B0007T27H8]Amazon.com: TRENDnet USB to RS-232 Serial Converter TU-S9 (White): Electronics[/url]. this one looks like it is about $15 with shipping and says it is plug-and-play which often (but not the rule) means the drivers will be in place when you plug it in.
Please note that I have not used the cable listed at amazon, but I am simply making a suggestion for the potential of use here. Anyway, any time that you are purchasing something that connects via usb - first double check the system you are using it on is supported and double check for drivers from the manufacter of the cable or chipset BEFORE you buy anything.

So, back to the point of all this...
My first solution included the cable I made and a direct connect to the xp box serial port. I am also able to hook up my cable to an old targus port replicator (pa070) that had a serial port on it for windows 7 64bit....but I had to run XP mode via virtual PC. But it worked as expected.
If you buy the right type of usb to serial cable, you can actually get win7 x32/x64 drivers to support directly.
I was able to pull the results off the meter to the software found at Abbott (I know this info about xp mode x64 drivers, etc is already in the fourms).

At any rate, I've started with the serial cable how-to and will work toward a how-to for building a usb-to-2.5mm cable. Also, there's a new program you can buy that allows you to push your info to an android phone SiDiary is the name, I'm new to it and still testing it to see if I will pay for it, but it looks promising. I normally use the Ontrack App, but hate entering things manually...

I'm also working on a how-to for making your own usb version that is similar to the usb "single cable" to 2.5mm plug that I have seen.

So here's the details: the specific meter I have is the Freestyle Freedom Lite, so I'm not sure if the other Freestyle meters use the same 2.5mm plug or the 3.5mm (or 1/8" standard headphone type size). But I suspect if they do use the larger plug, you can just use a larger plug for this.

You'll need a 2.5mm Stereo Adapter and a DB9/RS232 FEMALE connector to attach to the back pins. Remember, the pin numbers are opposite when you look from front to back.
2.5mm TIP connects to PIN 2 (Receive Data) of the DB9/R232
2.5mm RING connects to PIN 3 (Send Data) of the DB9/R232
2.5mm Sleeve connects to PIN 5 (Ground aka Signal Ground) of the DB9/R232

That's it.

Posted Image

FredP

FredP

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Meter manufacturers need to start standardizing on Micro USB; it it the cable that is used with all cell phones (except for Apple), so almost everyone has the cable already. As you stated, computers no longer come with serial ports.

Let's face it; they want to sell strips. They should prove that they are forward thinking and not only modernize the data interface design, but offer the monitoring software for free.

Meanwhile, I'll build my own cable... I think I'll try one of those modules meant to interface to a oldstyle microcontroller. I just wish they came with shrouds for the USB end.

jperl

jperl

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
thanks for the wiring diagram for the 2.5mm to db9.
Do you know what the wiring would be for 2.5mm to usb?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users