- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

SueL4

SueL4

• 500 plus
  • 532 posts
Hello,

I just got a call from my doctor to go over my lab work and after a few things were explained, she faxed it to me. The only thing she didn't go over was a high anion gap level of 19 (7-15 being in normal range) I just noticed. I looked back and 3 months ago, mine was 17 but also never addressed. I just googled it and see it may be related to diabetic ketoacidosis so of course that's frightening to me. I will call her back tomorrow as it's after hours now, as well as the nephrologist, but in the interim, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. My A1C was 7.1, although high, down from 10.1 only 10 weeks ago. My creatinine was good and no protein in the urine. Lipids also good. Thank you!
A1C: 7/13 - 5.7
4/15/12 - 5.7
6/26/12 - 10.1
lost 103 pounds since 6/26/12
low carb, low protein diet
Meds: Metformin 1000 mg
20 mg Benicar
50 mg XL Toprol

TriciaS

TriciaS

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
I have been a Med Tech for many years (disabled now). The high anion gap can be caused by so many things. I remember metabolic acidosis, dehydration, Diabetic ketoacidosis, Lactic acidosis, starvation, alkalosis, hypokalemia, and hypomagnesemia. If you are taking a diuretic this COULD be the explanation. I had trouble with my lab work when I was taking lasix all the time. Now I take it only when I am feeling puffy. I hope this is nothing bad but I would bring it up with the doctor.

SueL4

SueL4

• 500 plus
  • 532 posts
Thank you so much for responding, Tricia. I finally did speak to the doctor today about it so it was a long 2 days of waiting but she said she's definitely not worried about it. I'm going to cut back on the diuretic though. I think my body could use a break from it. Thanks again for answering - I appreciate it.
A1C: 7/13 - 5.7
4/15/12 - 5.7
6/26/12 - 10.1
lost 103 pounds since 6/26/12
low carb, low protein diet
Meds: Metformin 1000 mg
20 mg Benicar
50 mg XL Toprol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users