Photo

Eye problems? Low blood pressure or Low blood sugar?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Chelle D

Chelle D

• Members
  • 401 posts
I've been developing some odd eye complication problems and wondered if anyone else has had same symptoms, or dealt with the medical reasons for them...

Some friends for many years have said.. Do you have eye/vision problems yet?? Mostly, I remember them talking about "sudden blurriness". I've also heard of "flashes of light". I guess my symptoms are best described under that category.

What happens, If my blood sugar is VERY low.. then my vision gets "flashy" lights.. but, I'd mostly describe it as similar to being out in blinding white snow too long, then coming in & you know how everything has that "sheen" of bright over it? Well, that's what the flash is doing. The lower my blood sugar is when I'm having these vision flashes, the worse (widespread acorss more vision) the flashing is.

Even when My eyesight is mostly obscured, if I treat for low blood sugar, then most vision comes back within 10 mins.
Sometimes, I have little blocks of distrupted vision that linger. (Like when I look at white computer screen, and blink, I can see gray "missing" spots just out of middle of vision.) I believe it is effecting the eye "rods" because it is only with the white/black areas on computer screen. But I think the eye "cones" are not effected, because I don't see the bright flashes spots (that remain after the low blood sugar), or missing vision spots when looking at colors.

Maybe the missing grey spots are macular degeneration.. and the flashing vision has nothing to do with it. I've had the missing spots come & go over the years. But the "flashy" only when blood sugar is very low. I haven't had "low" blood sugars for years & years & years.. Only recently after I started on Novolog with meals.

I wondered today, if it is caused more from low blood PRESSURE, than from low blood sugar??

If maybe a low blood sugar is causing my pressure to be low.. and the low blood pressure is causing the vision complication? I'm wondering that, because once. (and only once that I can remember).. I had the bright flashy slightly (not widespread just tiny spots in vision).. and checked my blood sugar and it was over 100.

So, today when I was having the bright vision sheen, I was walking around trying to find a blood pressure kit. Well, all the walking and talking must have brought up my blood pressure, because by the time I got back to my desk, most of the flashing was gone, and I wasn't feeling like I had a "low" blood sugar anymore.

Is it Weird that exercise/activity would take care of low blood sugar?? or does increased activity cause a liver dump??

Sorry so long.
Metformin 2x500 twice/day
Glipizide 10mg twice/day
lisinopril/htzc10/12.5 a.m. only
baby asprin 81mg a.m. only

Doc added meal insulin 9/2012::(
Novolog sliding scale for meals (avg 9-12 units/day)- been more lately.

Lantus adjustment (02/2013)
To 70 units daily. Split to 35/35 am & pm :o

Lantus adjustment (07/2013)
75 units daily. Split 35/40 am & pm :confused:

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,174 posts
Google "Ocular Migraine" or "Scitilatingscotoma"
Mine can start with a bright trigger like a white screen. It looks a lot like this towards the end but usually starts as a bright blur to one side.
Visual Migraine Animation - YouTube
Yep, no need for psychedelics any more!:cool:
Lot of people have these and do not have diabetes. Mine started about the time I developed diabetes before Dx.

Chelle D

Chelle D

• Members
  • 401 posts
No.. doesn't look like it's that. At least not like the video link & others that were similar.

Mine is more just like if you get a "sun glare" spot. or like if someone takes a flash picture & you see the "flash" blind spot for a short time after? ... Well, it's like that, but all over. Not just the one spot that the flash bulb was at.

Mine's not so much like colors or zig zags. More White/ Yellow. It seriously reminds me of when you look at blinding white fresh snow & go inside real quick.. and everything looks like it has a bright yellow sheen/ or veil over all your vision.

But thank you. It would be nice if I found out that the vision problems are NOT diabetic symptom related. But I just think it's so odd that they only occur when my blood sugar is under 70. Almost every time, I worry that I'm having "bleeding" in my retina.. But then each time, it goes mostly all away when I eat something & treat a low blood sugar.
Glipizide 10mg twice/day

Hammer

Hammer

• Seniors
  • 5,838 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
When my BG levels go low, I have all sorts of vision "occurrences". Sometimes I will see flashing lights.....other times I can't see something straight on ( I can see things around the object I am looking at but I can't see the object that's in front of me.) It seems that when this happens, there is a light in front of me that is aiding in my not being able to see what's in front of me.....like if I am looking into a mirror that has lights surrounding it. I try to comb my hair but I can't see my face. If I look away slightly, I can see my face, but I can't see anything that's directly in front of me.

As to the flashing lights, well, they seem to occur in my peripheral vision, not straight on. It's as if they are circling the outer edge of my vision. Once I see any of these things, I check to see if my tongue is getting numb. If it is, then I know I am going low.

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

Diana_CT

Diana_CT

• Seniors
  • 1,169 posts
I had my eye sight change with diabets. All my live I wore glasses and then one morning I didn’t need them for either distance or reading. I went to my eye doctor and he gave me a temporary prescription and once I got my BG under control my eye sight changed back to me Coke bottle lens. My eye doctor is an ophthalmologist and I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist and not optometrist because with diabetes it is more about diseases of the eye.

I did have more floaters when my BG was high and they have tapered off since I got my BG under control.

I have always had migraines all my life and when I get a migraine it is more like this…
Migraine Visual Aura

Meds free of diabetes medication since June 2012
Current A1C 5.9 (10/14/14)

A1C 5.3 (10/15/13)

Life is not over because you have diabetes. Make the most of what you have, be grateful.
Dale Evans

Gladtobehere

Gladtobehere

• Seniors
  • 1,122 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Certainly get to an eye doctor and have your vision checked out. I get checked out yearly and after 35 years of T1 only have a few small bleeds. Which may heal if I stay in good control.

The symptom where you percieve an after image due to a camera flash or high contrast image on a bright TV screen is simply that.... An after image. In fact you can occasionaly see a similar effect happening on the screen of a TV itself and this has nothing to do with your eyes. Another similar effect happens if you shine a bright light directly on glow in the dark items. (You know those greenish/white glow in the dark halloween masks)

Interestingly enough, I recall strange blinky, flashy images long before I was diagnosed. These were usually associated with having too much really fatty foods. I have no idea why they occured, but have essentially relegated them to over indulgence and growing pains.

Many people have blind spots in their vision but are simply unaware of them. Of course when you start thinking about aberations in what you can see, you may discover you have a blind spot or 2. In most cases the blind spot is not directly where you look (and concentrate) so you are not likely to see them. I was aware of blind spots in my early teens, but was not diagnosed until my mid 20s.

The blinky , flashing, tunnel vision, and numerous other aberations are all very likely the result of low blood sugar. The brain and your eyes are the most sensitive to the low blood sugar condition. The symptoms I experience from low blood sugar include all the twitchy flashy vision symtoms described above and are generally closely followed by confusion and inabity to concentrate. I use DEX 4 glucose tabs IMMEDIATELY to correct a low when these symptoms appear. Then I get out the meter and test to ensure I have made the right choice. BUT, better to be safe with HIGH BG than sorry lying face down on the floor with LOW BG.

The eye doctor can help determine whether any of your vision concerns are real, or simply normal.

My eye doctor also takes high resolusion pictures of my retina so she has a reference to compare for future changes. It seems like a really good idea if you take a look at the hundreds of tiny blood vessels in the retina.

Perhaps you should consider carb counting for your bolus insulin rather than a sliding scale. A little too much insulin with a meal is the usual cause for any LOW BG that I experience. But either way, counting carbs and determining an insulin does is some what of a black art at the best of times. So lows are inevitable. Get some of those DEX 4 sugar tabs to treat lows. They are convienient, accurate and make it easy to avoid over indulging in carbs when you fix a low BG. That is, they taste OK, but you are not really tempted to have more.

sweetstar

sweetstar

• Seniors
  • 1,946 posts
  • LocationMaryland's Eastern Shore
I think you need to make an eye appointment.
1st My eye doctor always asks if I see white light flashes, I don't. So, I believe it is a concern.
2nd Seeing gray areas can be a sign of macular degeneration. This is definitely something you see a doctor about.
3rd With diabetes they worry about the bleeders in your eye. You should have your eyes checked yearly when you are diabetic.
Don't mess around with your eyes. Please, see an eye doctor.
Good luck.
Most Recent A1C 1/14 5.6
7/13 5.7
2/13 5.8
9/12 5.8
5/12 5.4
12/11 5.7
7/11 5.7
3/11 5.6
8/10 5.9
11/10 6.2
Diabetes Med
Metformin 1000mg twice a day.

Diagnosed October 1998

I learn something new everyday!!

Chelle D

Chelle D

• Members
  • 401 posts
I believe I've found a way to simulate what I'm seeing with the low blood sugars. Okay, you know how you look at white snow, then go inside quickly & you have the "after image" of brightness for a tiny bit until your eyes get adjusted to the darkness? Okay.. keep that in mind.

Now, if you gently close your eyelids then turn your face/ eyes to look at a bright lamp bulb, or a bright ceiling light.

Now, with your eyelids closed.. place a flat palm infront of your eyes, basically blocking out the "light". then take your hand away, see the difference of "light" or color? Okay, now rapidly move your hand from in front of your closed eyes to away & back & forth.. very rapidly (like five or six waves within a second).

That is the flashing that I see. But with the lightness of an after image from a bright light. (like the snow thing).
Glipizide 10mg twice/day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users