Pancreas

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

confussedt2

confussedt2

• 500 plus
  • 199 posts
HI, MY question today is has anyone ever had their PANCREAS start working again.
I have read that some people have had their PANCREAS start working again when
they gave it a resting spell by taking insulin for a while.
The reason i am asking is that i may have finally gotten my I/C ratio better it appears i am at 1 to 1 ratio,thanks
10/17/2010
glucose-139
creatinine0.99
calcium 8.7
total cholesterol 171
trigl. 194
hdl cholesterol 36
tot/hdl 4.75
A1c 6.8
average glucose 148
Levemir
metfor
NOVOLOG

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,902 posts
There is Flatbush diabetes where the beta cells shutdown completely but after 6 weeks on insulin have recovered to almost normal - you will know if you have that because you are usually in DKA when diagnosed. Other than that there can be small improvements but it's very unlikely to be significant. The beta cells can store an amount of insulin so if you draw less than they produce the reserves build up gives you margin for error and an apparent recovery.

The other time you see this is during the honeymoon phase in Type 1 but that seldom lasts more than a year and usually considerably less.

Scotty13

Scotty13

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
There is a “honeymoon phase”...most often in type ones but sometimes in type twos like me.. When your pancreas suddenly gets help...... It seems to sort of catch it breath and works better. When I was diagnosed and went on insulin this happened to me. I was trying hard to wean myself off insulin with diet, exercise and was able to do so. I was so proud of myself, bragged a bit... but was warned this might only be a honeymoon phase. Yep, it was. I was off insulin for about a month...then slowly but surely my blood sugar levels began to climb. I redoubled my effort with diet, exercise but to no avail. When my morning bloods sugar levels went back into the red zone... I went back on insulin. I was diagnosed as diabetic with a blood sugar level of 13.2. During all of 2012 I was able to hold my blood sugar level at 5.5...but it took Metformin and a bit insulin to control the beast.
Metformin 2000mg, Lantius insulin 15 units
A1C May 2011 13.2 A1C 5.5 for a year and a half
Walk a hour and a half most days...at Basset hound speed, ellipitical machine at times.

confussedt2

confussedt2

• 500 plus
  • 199 posts
HI,I was of the same opinion,but was not totally sure thats why i keep OJ in the house just in case its needed,thanks for response.
10/17/2010
glucose-139
creatinine0.99
calcium 8.7
total cholesterol 171
trigl. 194
hdl cholesterol 36
tot/hdl 4.75
A1c 6.8
average glucose 148
Levemir
metfor
NOVOLOG

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,884 posts
  • Location95965

There is Flatbush diabetes where the beta cells shutdown completely but after 6 weeks on insulin have recovered to almost normal - you will know if you have that because you are usually in DKA when diagnosed. Other than that there can be small improvements but it's very unlikely to be significant. The beta cells can store an amount of insulin so if you draw less than they produce the reserves build up gives you margin for error and an apparent recovery.

Thank you! For 3½ years I've been trying to figure out why my diabetes doesn't seem to fit the normal mold here. Never heard of this...and Lord knows...I've read a lot of stuff on this. In July of 2009 I went to the hospital for DKA. 4 days of tests. Doctor told me my pancreas had stopped working, gave me a script for basal insulin and referred me to another doctor. Coming here I put Type 1 as my condition and that I was taking a basal insulin. Someone mentioned that if I was a Type 1 I would have been given a bolus insulin as well. What did I do with that information? I changed my type below my name to Type 2! :banghead:

In the following weeks I titrated from an initial 15 units of Lantus to 25 units of Lantus, which I've maintained for the last 3½ years, occasionally self-adjusting my insulin to see what it would do to my BG readings. Several times I've quit the insulin to see what that would do. MY FBG would rise maybe 10-15 points, that's it. On a nightly basal; 90 mg/dL as a FBG. No insulin; 100-105mg/dL FBG. I've again been on a test period since last Monday when I quit insulin again. Tuesday's FBG, 97mg/dL. This morning's FBG, after 4 days without a basal insulin, 101mg/dL.

Looking back at the time before going into the hospital I was highly abusive to my body in alcohol, sugar and carbohydrates. I'm now convinced, as I think I've mentioned in several posts over the years, that I drove myself into diabetic ketoacidosis and my pancreas just shut down from the abuse. After reading about Flatbush Diabetes I'm highly pissed that for the last 3½ years this has never come up at the doctor's office, I had to stumble across it here.

Thank you, this explains everything.

gphx

gphx

• 500 plus
  • 576 posts
Be careful. After years of wondering what was causing all my problems I finally found a Type II dx. Going low carb with a vengeance I got my bgs, bp, and blood lipids down to normal and lost 75 pounds along the way as an incidental effect. One day I discovered I could eat normal foods again. The thing about eating normal foods again is it's like an ex-smoker thinking they can have a few cigarettes without getting hooked. They can, but if they keep it up for very long they're back where they started again.

This is not saying no one can completely restore pancreas function and live life as normal because there are many, many different causes of pancreatic dysfunction. What I am trying to say is most people who go back to their old ways will simply resume destroying remaining beta cells and possibly fast tracking themselves to permanent insulin injection.

Remember though, you're the expert on your diabetes. I can only speak with authority, and then only limited, on my own.
  • javagate likes this
T2, diet and exercise, 5'11" and 152 lbs.
if I vary from a very low carb diet my bg can range from 50s-280s in one day despite a now barely normal A1C
under control at the moment thanks to low carb but diabetic for life

aggie168

aggie168

• 500 plus
  • 1,366 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • I am a:Type 1

HI, MY question today is has anyone ever had their PANCREAS start working again. I have read that some people have had their PANCREAS start working again when they gave it a resting spell by taking insulin for a while. The reason i am asking is that i may have finally gotten my I/C ratio better it appears i am at 1 to 1 ratio,thanks

I am going to add the following, hope to not cause more "confusion".

1. With injected insulin, the pancreas can take a break. On situation like us, which still have some juice left, it can help to a certain extent. That is my believe and what I see on myself. By that, if I disconnect from my pump on purposely, I can see my pancreas tries to do some work. Watching my CGMS graph, it works to an extend and it will plateau out and not coming down.

2. If I read you correctly, your I:C is 1:1. That is very insulin resistive. Your pancreas has to work in overdrive to cover all the blood glucose from food. Reducing your carbs intake may help in this instance. (Just as an example as everyone is different, my I:C is highest at 1:16 during certain day light hours. Then going down to 1:7.5 in the evening hours. That is also the beauty of having a pump.)

:)

===============================================
DX 02/2002, Minimed 530G(751) w/CGMS on Humalog
Aspirin 81mg + Lipitor 10mg + Losartan 50mg

05/2014 A1C 5.8 Chol=154 Trig=96 HDL=48 LDL=87

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,902 posts

Thank you, this explains everything.

Glad to be of service :)

I had a similar experience where I was initially diagnosed as Type 1 for the same reasons as you although they put me directly onto MDI. After the antibody test came back negative I made them take at a stab what had happened (I got through three endos before I found one who would talk) and was given a range of possibilities of which one was Flatbush.

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,902 posts

Be careful. After years of wondering what was causing all my problems I finally found a Type II dx. Going low carb with a vengeance I got my bgs, bp, and blood lipids down to normal and lost 75 pounds along the way as an incidental effect. One day I discovered I could eat normal foods again.

I think this is a good example of a case where you get apparent recovery. There is a limit to the insulin your pancreas can produce and weight adds insulin resistance which pushes you over the line. Lose the weight and you drop your insulin resistance which allows you to step back the right side of the line. The underlying problem is that you should never have hit the line, almost regardless of weight, but your glucose metabolism is flawed so after some period of time or if you regain the weight you will wind up in the same place again.

For now though - enjoy :D

confussedt2

confussedt2

• 500 plus
  • 199 posts
HI,everyone,I found out by accident how much bolus i may need for my meals.
One day as i was about to give usual bolus injection so i picked up NOVOLOG insulin and at that time i was using 40u so i started drawing insulin and my little brain took a break,next thing
i knew i had put 70u into syringe which was my basal at the time,by the time it dawned on me what had happened i had injected 60u of NOVOLOG so i was worried about was going to
happen i went and got some OJ and started taking some and checking my B/S and the extra 20u of NOVOLOG did not even faze me at all.
The OJ i took probably took some spike out of the extra insulin,so started increasing my bolus a couple units every few days so now all of my boluses are between 50&60units
which to me is high but if this is what needs to be done for right now i guess thats what i will have to live with.
10/17/2010
glucose-139
creatinine0.99
calcium 8.7
total cholesterol 171
trigl. 194
hdl cholesterol 36
tot/hdl 4.75
A1c 6.8
average glucose 148
Levemir
metfor
NOVOLOG

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,884 posts
  • Location95965

I had a similar experience where I was initially diagnosed as Type 1 for the same reasons as you although they put me directly onto MDI. After the antibody test came back negative I made them take at a stab what had happened (I got through three endos before I found one who would talk) and was given a range of possibilities of which one was Flatbush.

What's odd for me in this is that until you mentioned it and I looked it up...the people I've been seeing at my clinic and all the information I've read on the Internet never mentioned this. No one, anywhere! 5 days after quitting insulin; FBG 94mg/dL. Last Saturday's FBG, 98mg/dL. We could be onto something here. I'll keep a close eye on things. Thanks again.

jojeti

jojeti

• 500 plus
  • 803 posts
Apparently for me it didn't work that way. A couple of weeks ago after being at my lowest weight in 20 years, eating <30 grams of carbs a day, my 7 day average, 14 day average and 30 day average on my meter being 85 I ate a lunch sized portion of General Tso Chicken with about 1/4 cup fried rice (I know, not a good choice but I had a weak moment with coworkers who all wanted to eat Chinese food). Anyway, my 2hPP was 298! Apparently, my pancreas isn't working well even after 2 years or so of "rest". I think it would be great if it did work like that for me.
Diagnosed Type 2 April 2010
Lantus 19 units
Metformin 1000 mg 2xday
Lisinipril w HCTZ 20/12.5 mg
Lasix 40 mg 2x day
Levothyroxine 112 mg/day
April 1, 2010, A1c: 7.9 (diagnosis)
June 17, 2010, A1c: 6.1 (c peptide 3.4, bgl 91)
August 5, 2010, A1c: 5.8
February, 2011, A1c: 5.6
August 24, 2011, A1c: 5.3 (c peptide 0.8, bgl 75)
February 17, 2012, A1c: 5.0
Diet: Low carb (< 30 gms a day, but try for less than 20 gms/day)
I am a member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals

apollo322

apollo322

• 500 plus
  • 3,301 posts
I've had the same experiences as the above poster. If I stay low carb and exercise i get normal numbers and don't need to take any meds. The minute I cross over the line and eat some of the junk I used to I'm reminded I'm not " normal" and my BG elevates till I work it off:( my pancreas seems to work ok but my cells haven't changed enough.
Diagnosed 4/2012 11.7 a1c Fbg 241
Currently on no meds
8/2012 5.9 A1C
1/2013. 5.8
4/2013 5.7- sensing a pattern here!
8/2013 5.9--ok maybe not!:)
3/17/2014- 5.8, back down the ladder!
Diet-- staying under 50 grams a day of carbs. Not weighing anything mostly rough estimates

Exercise-- 7 days a week but trying to keep it varied. Raquetball, biking, walking with Rocky and now a little lifting

Diana_CT

Diana_CT

• 500 plus
  • 1,075 posts

I've had the same experiences as the above poster. If I stay low carb and exercise i get normal numbers and don't need to take any meds. The minute I cross over the line and eat some of the junk I used to I'm reminded I'm not " normal" and my BG elevates till I work it off:( my pancreas seems to work ok but my cells haven't changed enough.

My Pancreas seems to be able to handle 20 -30 carbs but if I go over that in a meal my BG skyrockets.
Meds free of diabetes medication since June 2012
Current A1C 5.3 (10/15/13)

Life is not over because you have diabetes. Make the most of what you have, be grateful.
Dale Evans

timmerz

timmerz

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
My pancreas kicked the bucket completely about 3 years ago, I have been on 2 Insulins ever since...everything I eat or drink has an effect...people that have a still-functioning (even partially) pancreas are extremely lucky, imho, and should concentrate on preserving whatever is left at all costs....

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,884 posts
  • Location95965

What's odd for me in this is that until you mentioned it and I looked it up...the people I've been seeing at my clinic and all the information I've read on the Internet never mentioned this. No one, anywhere! 5 days after quitting insulin; FBG 94mg/dL. Last Saturday's FBG, 98mg/dL. We could be onto something here. I'll keep a close eye on things. Thanks again.

As an update here; it's been a month since I've stopped my basal insulin and my FBG and PP numbers have leveled out. I'm now, what one might call, pre-diabetic. But at 70 years old...I doubt I'll actually see full-blown diabetes or a partial of...before I die. My FBG this morning was 89mg/dL and after a 40gram carbohydrate lunch, my one hour BG was 106mg/dL. I've also quit statins and no longer have pain in my hips and legs. I still take Lisinopril, a daily 81mg aspirin and halved my Centrum Silver vitamin. The reason I've halved my vitamin is because my urine smelled so high of B vitamins. No reason to make my toilet any more healthy than it already is.

I consider myself the exception here...don't try this at home, kids. In the next few weeks I plan to wean myself off of the Lisinopril as well as the 81mg aspirin. In 6 months I'll go have a complete chem panel and blood test done...see how I stand.

Thanks again to Tribbles. We're ignorant...until someone shows us the light.

Whack-a-mmol/L

Whack-a-mmol/L

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

As an update here; it's been a month since I've stopped my basal insulin and my FBG and PP numbers have leveled out. I'm now, what one might call, pre-diabetic. But at 70 years old...I doubt I'll actually see full-blown diabetes or a partial of...before I die. My FBG this morning was 89mg/dL and after a 40gram carbohydrate lunch, my one hour BG was 106mg/dL. I've also quit statins and no longer have pain in my hips and legs. I still take Lisinopril, a daily 81mg aspirin and halved my Centrum Silver vitamin. The reason I've halved my vitamin is because my urine smelled so high of B vitamins. No reason to make my toilet any more healthy than it already is.

I consider myself the exception here...don't try this at home, kids. In the next few weeks I plan to wean myself off of the Lisinopril as well as the 81mg aspirin. In 6 months I'll go have a complete chem panel and blood test done...see how I stand.

Good luck with new experiment Bountyman. I tried the same thing with Lisinopril and was promptly rewarded with substantially higher BP numbers. Keep tabs on it as you go will ya?
DX 11/25/09. A1c 11.4 BG 295
Weight at dx. 295
Current weight. 183
Lowcarb diet
A1c 5.1
Added 500mg Glucophage XR. (Experiment in taming liver issues)
A1c 4.9

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,902 posts

I knew my OCD would come in useful one day...
  • naesatt likes this

William V

William V

• 500 plus
  • 255 posts
  • Locationnear Vancouver, BC, Canada

My Pancreas seems to be able to handle 20 -30 carbs but if I go over that in a meal my BG skyrockets.

I had that with oral meds; even now on insulin. Control is great when under 20-25 per meal.. Why does this happen? More resistance when higher carb meal?

Dx 2001/08 T2 13.6 FBS A1C 10.7
2001/11 FBS 5.3 A1C 6.9
2002/06 A1C 5.5 2010 A1C 7.0
2003 A1C 5.6 2011 A1C 7.5
2007 A1C 6.2 2012/03 A1C 8.8
2008 A1C 6.5 2012/06 A1C 10.5
2009 A1C 7.1 2013/03 A1C 6.6

Insulin NovoRapid, 12/2012 pump.

William :pcguru:

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,902 posts

I had that with oral meds; even now on insulin. Control is great when under 20-25 per meal.. Why does this happen? More resistance when higher carb meal?

It's because you are continually producing insulin which is accumulated by your beta cells for when it's needed. It's like a water tank, you may want a lot of water quickly but it's only coming in at a trickle so you use a tank to store it for when it's needed. Once the tank is empty though the best you are going to get is that trickle. So it's not that there is more resistance (although there is once you get really high) but rather that you have drained the reserves and are stuck with what you can make on the fly which isn't a lot so your levels rise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users