Low carb diet and gallbladder

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

bdelatte

bdelatte

• 500 plus
  • 724 posts
Anyone develop gallbladder issues after being on a low carb diet for a bit? I have read this several different times that the Atkins diet or low carb diets are contributing to gallbladder issues. Curious if anyone has had this happen to them. Thanks
Diabetics are naturally sweet! ;)
Animas OneTouch Ping Insulin Pump
A1C 6.0

Moonpie

Moonpie

• 500 plus
  • 3,895 posts
not yet anyhow :)
09/15/2009 DX
A1C Sept 2009 7.7 . March 2012 5.2
A1C Nov 2009 6.4 July 2012 5.4
A1C 01/15/2010 5.6 12/12 5.4
A1c May 2010 5.6
A1c July ( 10 weeks no meds) 5.9
A1c Dec 2010 5.6 no meds since May :)
A1c March 2011 5.7
A1C Aug 2011 5.5
A1C Dec 2011 5.2
came off Metformin 500mg on 05/11/2010 to control with diet & exercise.
Previously 50 to 100 carbs now I try to limit it to under 50 per day.

Todd G.

Todd G.

• 500 plus
  • 961 posts
I've looked into this and can't find any supporting evidence that a low carb diet contributes to gallbladder issues beyond what would be found in the set of people who would be likely to use such a diet. In other words, for a heart surgeon to have a high percentage of people die from heart related issues does not make him a bad heart surgeon. It just means he's dealing with a high risk group to begin with.

bdelatte

bdelatte

• 500 plus
  • 724 posts

I've looked into this and can't find any supporting evidence that a low carb diet contributes to gallbladder issues beyond what would be found in the set of people who would be likely to use such a diet. In other words, for a heart surgeon to have a high percentage of people die from heart related issues does not make him a bad heart surgeon. It just means he's dealing with a high risk group to begin with.

I just read that low carb diets or high fat diets (kind of one in the same since most low carbers eat higher fat) contributes to it. Read it on multiple sites. Didnt know if anyone on here had noticed their gallbladder going bad after being on one. Ive been having issues for months with every test done with normal results and now they are thinking my gallbladder is the problem. Started having these symptoms about 6 months after going to a low carb diet when before I didnt watch what I ate at all so it was like a 180 from high carbs to low carbs/high fat diet. Curious to knw if its a coincidence or what, if it is in fact my gb!
A1C 6.0

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,847 posts
There are two types of gallstone and the more common one is formed from excess cholesterol. That's the long term cause but the short term trigger is not particularly clear. Some things like obesity, gender, and age are strong indicators as are genetics. If you want to avoid gallstones from a weight loss diet then don't let your weight drop fast and don't get dehydrated.

I would have thought an LCHF diet was reasonably good for avoiding gallstone risk provided to eat enough protein, didn't have high cholesterol, and didn't get dehydrated.

My gallbladder and I parted company sometime ago. If you get any sort of obstruction of the bile duct (stones) you want to avoid fat like the plague though because it is very likely to trigger an attack.

jojeti

jojeti

• 500 plus
  • 803 posts
I used to have "gallbladder attacks" often but haven't had one in two years since starting low carb.
Diagnosed Type 2 April 2010
Lantus 19 units
Metformin 1000 mg 2xday
Lisinipril w HCTZ 20/12.5 mg
Lasix 40 mg 2x day
Levothyroxine 112 mg/day
April 1, 2010, A1c: 7.9 (diagnosis)
June 17, 2010, A1c: 6.1 (c peptide 3.4, bgl 91)
August 5, 2010, A1c: 5.8
February, 2011, A1c: 5.6
August 24, 2011, A1c: 5.3 (c peptide 0.8, bgl 75)
February 17, 2012, A1c: 5.0
Diet: Low carb (< 30 gms a day, but try for less than 20 gms/day)
I am a member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals

bdelatte

bdelatte

• 500 plus
  • 724 posts
This site actually lists Atkins Diet by its name...ha, interesting jojeti! Glad you dont have them anymore! :)

Information on Gallbladder Disease
A1C 6.0

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I did have two friend develop Gall bladder problems from a low carb diet. One had gall stones removed, but one of the ducts was blocked to her pancreas and she had a second surgery. She is fine now. The other person was quite young, actually only 18 when she had her gall bladder removed. She was also on a low carb diet because of gestational diabetes. She still struggles with pancreatitis today.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ela

Ela

• 500 plus
  • 1,994 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

This site actually lists Atkins Diet by its name...ha, interesting jojeti! Glad you dont have them anymore! :)

Information on Gallbladder Disease

Hmmm....that site basically lists everything under the sun:

CONTRIBUTING CAUSES OF GALLBLADDER DISEASE

Hypothyroidism
Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease
Low stomach acid
Food Sensitivities or Allergies
Overweight
Rapid weight loss
Estrogen intake and birth control pills(estrogen increases the concentration of cholesterol in the bile)
Chronic Heartburn
Frequent use of Antacids
Atkin's Diet
Over age 40 and increase in risk as one ages
Female especially those who have had children
Ethnicity (Pima Indians and Mexican-Americans)
High triglycerides, high LDL cholesterol, decreased HDL cholesterol,
Alcohol intake
Family history of gallbladder disease (Heredity)
Cholesterol-lowering drugs, immunosuppressive drugs
Antidepressants which slow down gallbladder contractions
Very Low Calorie Diets
Diet high in saturated fats
Diet high in refined foods and sugars
Diet low in fiber (which is what the refined diets are) and not enough vegetables
Non-fat diets
Low-fat diets
Constipation
Diabetes
Diseases such as chronic inflammatory bowel disease, Chron's disease (ulcerative colitis is contraversial) Hemolytic anemias

High fat is bad, low fat is bad, cholesterol is bad, cholesterol lowering drugs are bad, blah, blah, blah.....So what's left? I believe fiber is beneficial. The site doesn't sound too credible IMO.
"In some ways, being a well-controlled diabetic is an ongoing science experiment" Scratch

Diagnosed 4/11 A1C=10.8
6/11 A1C = 7.8
8/11 A1C = 5.7
11/11 A1C=6.1
1/12 A1C = 6.2
5/12 A1C = 5.9 Finally!
8/12 A1C = 6.1 for NO REASON
12/12 A1C=5.5
4/13 A1C = 5.4
7/13 A1C = 5.8
2/14 A1C = 5.8
Metformin 500X2, Ramipril 2.5, Magnesium Citrate, Chromium Picolinate, Milk Thistle, Goldenseal

Todd G.

Todd G.

• 500 plus
  • 961 posts
My earlier point being that stating that LC diets lead to gallbladder issues has never been proven. The statistics from the few studies don't come close to supporting a claim of causality. And especially among diabetics, with the many other issues they frequently have, pointing at diet as a contributing factor, or the primary factor, is difficult to justify.

William V

William V

• 500 plus
  • 246 posts
Three or 4 years into LCHF diet got gallbladder issues n removed. Hereditary from mom and her mom is gall bladder removal. Plus, since first measured in '88, my cholesterol is naturally high compared to others. So LCHF may have helped it along.
Dx 2001/08 T2 13.6 FBS A1C 10.7
2001/11 FBS 5.3 A1C 6.9
2002/06 A1C 5.5 2010 A1C 7.0
2003 A1C 5.6 2011 A1C 7.5
2007 A1C 6.2 2012/03 A1C 8.8
2008 A1C 6.5 2012/06 A1C 10.5
2009 A1C 7.1 2013/03 A1C 6.6

Glucophage, ASA 81 mg, Atacand, :), 06/2012 MDI Insulin NovoRapid, 12/2012 pump.

William :pcguru:

Kathryn10

Kathryn10

• 500 plus
  • 754 posts
I remember that when my mom had her gallbladder removed she was advised to eat a diet with no or very little fat because the fat would irritate her condition.

I've also read on marksdailyapple.com some forum posts about people who've had their gallbladders removed and who were concerned about switching to a primal (which is just like paleo but can include dairy, and is low carb for most people) diet. All of the posters said they had no issues with the higher fat, lower carb diets and that there was no solid evidence linking a LCHF diet to gallbladder issues.

Hooterville

Hooterville

Hey, I like you!

• 500 plus
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 2
Fatty foods when your gallbladder is angry and you are having attacks is bad news. I can still remember the consequences of eating peanut butter chips, omg.... Once it's removed, bring the fat on, lol. No problems whatsoever. I've been living without mine since 1991.

Oh, and I lost my gallbladder after doing nothing resembling Atkins.

A1c's: 1/11 9.4 ~ 3/11 7.9 ~ 6/11 7.8 ~ 7/11 7.6 ~ 10/11 7.5 ~ 12/11 6.4 ~ 3/12 5.9 ~ 6/12 5.4 ~ 9/12 5.4 ~ 12/12 5.3 ~ 3/13 5.1 ~ 8/13 5.5 ~ 10/13 5.4
Meds: 30 units Lantus - 2,550 mg Metformin
Diet: LCHF ketogenic, 30 to 40 carbs, dabbling in Paleo
Exercise: Lifting, walking, stair climbing
Weight Loss: 100.5 Pounds

She turned her can'ts in to cans and her dreams in to plans.

Posted Image

DeusXM

DeusXM

Grumpy Briton

• 500 plus
  • 5,945 posts
I don't know if low-carbing contributes to causing gall bladder issues, but I know from others that once you've got gallstones, it's a really bad idea to follow the diet.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,847 posts
Fat triggers bile and you can get the stones swept into the bile duct at which point you really know about it (the gallbladder keeps going into spasms because no bile is reaching the fat - cue floor rolling). The pain is controlled with opiates in the UK. As an added bonus one of the major side effects of gallstones is pancreatitis.

After I had my gallbladder removed high fat foods caused problems, Metformin *and* fat was just spectacular...

Chelle D

Chelle D

• 500 plus
  • 401 posts
Before my gallbladder was removed,.... Fats & greasy oils definitely contributed to problems/attacks.

When I went to urgent care because I thought I had ulcer... they sent me to ER & said they don't treat gallbladder. ER finally let me have the gastro cocktail... But they were right, it didn't help at all. I had to be admitted & gallbladder removed next day.

Funny thing: The admitting nurse saw the chart with gallbladder symptoms/pains... and said "Let me guess, you had pizza last night." I said, "how'd you know? " Then she asked "Extra Cheese?" I said yup. She said, you can't eat greasy foods with gall symptoms. She said 90% of her admittees for gallbladder had pizza within the past 48 hrs.
Metformin 2x500 twice/day
Glipizide 10mg twice/day
lisinopril/htzc10/12.5 a.m. only
baby asprin 81mg a.m. only

Doc added meal insulin 9/2012::(
Novolog sliding scale for meals (avg 9-12 units/day)- been more lately.

Lantus adjustment (02/2013)
To 70 units daily. Split to 35/35 am & pm :o

Lantus adjustment (07/2013)
75 units daily. Split 35/40 am & pm :confused:

k_dub

k_dub

• 500 plus
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationWyoming
I think it's important to discuss the types of food that people were eating before they developed gall stones, especially when considering low carb diets as a risk factor.

We see a lot of variety in the types of low carb foods that people eat just among our forum members. To me, there is a big difference between eating Slim Jims, hot dogs, nitrate/nitrite laden cured meats, low carb junk food, fake sweetners, processed low carb food, additives, etc and eating a Paleo-type low carb diet. I would believe that a diet of low carb junk could cause gall stones. But a diet of healthy meats, veggies, etc? - I seriously doubt that it would increase risk of gallbladder disease.

I eat pretty darn low carb - for dinner tonight, I had seared salmon, zucchini and cauliflower "rice" pilaf with roasted almonds and cilantro. For lunch, I had canned tuna on baby kale salad and homemade pesto. I don't feel like that food is going to put me at risk for gall stones. My version of low carb is taking a side dish in a meal that would normally be potatoes, pasta, rice, grain and swapping it for another vegetable. No one is going to convince me that eating an extra veg is a bad idea...

Furthermore, I would wager that a High carb/high fat diet puts one at even a greater risk of gall stones.

For those that got gall stones after starting a LCHF diet, I also wonder if it really was the diet. They say that gall stones take years to develop. I bet many of these people had gall stones developing before they started the LC diet.
Kelly

Current A1C: 6.0%
Diagnosed with LADA June 2008
Animas One Touch Ping March 2009
Dexcom Seven March 2010 --> Dexcom G4 November 2012
Apidra

Mom to Nicholas born 1/4/14. Ask me about diabetes and pregnancy!
First trimester A1c: 5.7%
Second trimester A1c: 6.1%
Late second trimester A1c (25 weeks): 5.7%
Third trimester A1c (35 weeks): 6.0%

"The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about, but you refuse to investigate" Dr. Wayne Dyer

William V

William V

• 500 plus
  • 246 posts

I think it's important to discuss the types of food that people were eating before they developed gall stones, especially when considering low carb diets as a risk factor

Food
For sure. For at least the three years prior to suffering gall stones I ate grilled chicken breasts and broccoli/cauliflower and cut beans as the main meal of the day. Poached Eggs for breakfast n salad for lunch.
The question is really how significant a role does food play? Food, heredity, and how your body functions or processes all work together. I doubt they can be separated. Further More, 80% of Gall stones are cholesterol based and are usually formed in the gallbladder. In undeveloped countries gallstones are almost 100% cholesterol. The bile fluid, among the other items it contains, has cholesterol in it.
Dx 2001/08 T2 13.6 FBS A1C 10.7
2001/11 FBS 5.3 A1C 6.9
2002/06 A1C 5.5 2010 A1C 7.0
2003 A1C 5.6 2011 A1C 7.5
2007 A1C 6.2 2012/03 A1C 8.8
2008 A1C 6.5 2012/06 A1C 10.5
2009 A1C 7.1 2013/03 A1C 6.6

Glucophage, ASA 81 mg, Atacand, :), 06/2012 MDI Insulin NovoRapid, 12/2012 pump.

William :pcguru:

Tribbles

Tribbles

• 500 plus
  • 1,847 posts

The question is really how significant a role does food play? Food, heredity, and how your body functions or processes all work together. I doubt they can be separated.

There used to be a diagnostic saying used by doctors to identify people at risk - fair, fat, female, fertile, and forty. It's a good indicator of the risk genetics but is almost the exact opposite of me. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users