Is Medtronic about to release the VEO?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Jorj Gaidin

Jorj Gaidin

• 500 plus
  • 146 posts
I saw on the medtronic page that they are offering a free upgrade to a "new" pump should one be released. The caveat is you must buy before Jan 25th and initiate the exchange by April 2013. It sounds to me like they will unveil the new pump in the next few days. What do you think?

Technology Guarantee
31, dx '95, pump since '99, Symlin '06
Paradigm 723 and Dexcom G4

A1C's
Jan 2013 - 7.9
Feb 2009 - 8.8
June 2006 - 6.1
Feb 2006 - 6.7
Aug 2005 - 7.1
Dec 2004 - 8.3

jbmacomber

jbmacomber

• 500 plus
  • 1,901 posts
Seems like it is only good for those who purchased after November 30th, 2012 and before January 25th, 2013. So it wont be avaiable to anyone outside of those dates, like me.
Diagnosed 2004
AIC 8/13 5.8
A1C 2/12 7.4

Started Insulin 2/12
Started Pump and CGM 5/12
Medtronic Minimed Pump
Meds:
Novolog,
Lisinopril
Ambien

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
I've been checking Minimed's site every so often to see if there was any news about a new pump but I never duig too deep into the site, just checked the main page. That offer does definitely make it seem like they're expecting a new release soon. It would really suck if people do order a new pump now, assuming the next model will be out very soon, and then it doesn't happen. If they release the Veo in May, that offer is void and anyone who does want to upgrade will have to pay for the Pathway program.

I'm currently using an out-of-warranty Revel (as of June 2012) and have been waiting to get a new one because I didn't see the point of getting something I already have. I think I'll hold off until the next model is actually released and that way I won't have to worry about timing and upgrading. I see my CDE next month and hopefully I'll remember to ask if she knows when the next pump might be due.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

Gigem99

Gigem99

• 500 plus
  • 357 posts
The ADA is having their big annual Expo in downtown Denver on Feb. 9. MM always has a huge booth there - that's where I first saw the CGM 6 years ago and decided I had to have it.

I'm not sure who the MM rep is for this region now, but I'm gonna try to go down there - this is one of the major questions I have.
Tom

dx'd 1985 at age 31
Pumping with MM 522 since 8/2007
CGMS since 12/2007
12/2006 A1c - 9.8
6/2008 A1c - 6.1

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

Seems like it is only good for those who purchased after November 30th, 2012 and before January 25th, 2013. So it wont be avaiable to anyone outside of those dates, like me.

While not as good as a free upgrade, you can always do a Pathway upgrade. It's usually several hundred dollars to upgrade to the latest model. I did that when the Revel came out and thought it was definitely worth paying $300 or so out of pocket. There were a lot of features that the Revel has and my 722 didn't. I think the Low Suspend feature will probably be the biggest difference between the Revel and the next model, and also the ability to run a sensor continuously for 6 days. I'm not sure if the Veo has any other features the Revel is lacking. If I had a relatively new Revel and those two items were the only difference, I wouldn't pay to upgrade to the Veo.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

don1942

don1942

• 500 plus
  • 583 posts
Last week at my diabetes support group meeting, the group leader and also a Medtronic trainer mentioned that all the Medtronic people have completed training on the new pump so the release of the new pump is expected momentarily. Seems like Aprial or possibly May is the targeted release period.
Diag T2 1993
Started Minimed 03/12/10 CGMS 4/29/10
Symlin as needed
Metformin 1000mg x 2
Pravastatin 40mg x 1
Zetia 10mg x 1
Vitamin B, C, D, E, Fish Oil

JJM335

JJM335

• 500 plus
  • 759 posts
Check out this link:

Medtronic Submits US Version of the Veo Insulin Pump to FDA (!), Provides Updates on Future Products, and Announces Partnership with JDRF and the Helmsley Charitable Trust | diaTribe

Medtronic are planning to release the US version of the Veo (530G) in the near future. For us Europeans, they are planning to release the next generation of pump the 640G sometime in 2013. This will have an improved predictive low glucose suspend function. Info I have from a pumper that was recently asked to take part in a survey about a new pump (and sworn to secrecy) is that it will probably have a much improved colour screen.

Joel

T1 since 1977
MM522/Apidra since July 08
Animas Vibe/Humalog since Nov 13
CGM - Self Funded - now with Dexcom G4

Tony

Tony

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,437 posts
  • LocationRI
  • I am a:Type 1
From what I have noticed in the past is they release new pumps in March. If I recall right it is usually the first or second week in March.

Hopefully with this release we will see a bigger screen with color.

Tony
Administrator of Diabetesforums.com

"Weeding my way through Diabetes, and taking all of you along for the ride." - archimeech

JJM335

JJM335

• 500 plus
  • 759 posts

Hopefully with this release we will see a bigger screen with color.

Not if you live in Rhode Island. The upcoming release stateside is the 530G which is the US version of the Veo. The all new 640G with its predictive low BG suspend feature (and which may have a colour screen) is scheduled for release in Europe in 2013 but is not expected to be released in the US for another 2-3 years !!

I am overdue a replacement for my 522 but I am holding off until the 640G is released.

Joel

T1 since 1977

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

Not if you live in Rhode Island. The upcoming release stateside is the 530G which is the US version of the Veo. The all new 640G with its predictive low BG suspend feature (and which may have a colour screen) is scheduled for release in Europe in 2013 but is not expected to be released in the US for another 2-3 years !!

I am overdue a replacement for my 522 but I am holding off until the 640G is released.

Joel

If they do go for a color screen, I hope it's bigger than the current one. I guess they'd have to move buttons around to make the screen bigger but I wouldn't mind if they were moved to one of the sides of the pump. I also wouldn't care if they eliminated the Bolus button. Most of the time I end up starting a Bolus through the menu anyway.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,234 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Agreed poodle! I have been complaining about the screen for years. If the VEO doesn't have a bigger, better screen, I want to know why. Diabetes wreaks havoc on eyes ans their screen now is unacceptable. If Apple can have a screen that you can enlarge, then Medtronic needs to figure out this technology. If the screen is the same, I will wait for an upgrade.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JJM335

JJM335

• 500 plus
  • 759 posts
My main criticism of the current screen (Veo, Revel, x22) is not so much the lack of colour, but the HOPELESS ambiguity of the way it displays warning information. The open warning circle can mean anything from:

- running low on insulin (need to sort..)
- extended bolus is ongoing (fair enough...)
- "weekend" basal pattern (duh --- I KNOW that...)

Hopefully the new pump will offer a bit more flexibility in the alarm systems as well. Having the same MUST ACKNOWLEDGE alarm for "CGM sensor needs a reading in 30 mins" and "NO DELIVERY" is not exactly ideal ...

Joel

T1 since 1977

JJM335

JJM335

• 500 plus
  • 759 posts

If the VEO doesn't have a bigger, better screen, I want to know why

Sorry to disappoint you but the screen, appearance and button arrangement on the Veo is virtully identical to the x22 (and I assume the Revel, which is not available in Europe). From the information I have from somebody that took part in an assessment excercise organized by Medtronic, the 640G may be a significant redesign - the Veo is just an upgraded x22 with better CGMS integration and finer control of basal rates.

Joel

T1 since 1977

Cormac_Doyle

Cormac_Doyle

• 500 plus
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationIreland (For Now)
I've been using the veo for almost two years ... it has quite a small screen. the "new" one has a larger, colour screen that makes it MUCH easier to read.

HbA1c
2007/2008 - Sept 07: 10.9; Feb 08: 8.5; Sept 08: 7.3;
2009 - Feb: 7.5; Apr: 6.4; Aug: 6.1;
2010 - Jan: 7.0; Mar: 6.4; Jun: 6.1; Oct: 5.9;
2011 - Jan: 6.4; Apr: 6.5; Aug: 6.3; Nov: 6.2;
2012 - Mar: 6.7; May: 6.3; June: 6.2; Sep: 5.4; Dec: 6.0;
2013 - Mar: 6.1; May: 6.5; July: 6.3; Nov: 6.1;
2014 - Apr: 6.3;

Meds - Glucophage: 2000mg; Omega 3: 4000mg; Crestor: 20mg; Victoza: 1.8mg; Humulin: 150-250 iu ( originally 1800-2400 iu daily)

Started Pump: 10th April 2011 - Minimed Paradigm Veo

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,234 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I've been using the veo for almost two years ... it has quite a small screen. the "new" one has a larger, colour screen that makes it MUCH easier to read.

How much do you want for your pancreas???? :wink:
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

Sorry to disappoint you but the screen, appearance and button arrangement on the Veo is virtully identical to the x22 (and I assume the Revel, which is not available in Europe). From the information I have from somebody that took part in an assessment excercise organized by Medtronic, the 640G may be a significant redesign - the Veo is just an upgraded x22 with better CGMS integration and finer control of basal rates.

Joel

A couple of years ago there were rumors that the next/upcoming pump (at the time, I guess it would be the Veo/Revel) was going to be the last pump in the series as far as the design is concerned. What you're saying supports that. All of the Paradigm pumps from the original 511 (I think?) through the Revel/Veo looks pretty much the same. The printing on the buttons of my Revel does look different than my previous models, but that's a really simple cosmetic change. Otherwise, all of the pumps look alike. I think moving buttons off the face of the pump to make room for a bigger screen is a good idea. I really like all of the features of my Revel and hope they don't mess with the way you set up & access them too much.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

Tony

Tony

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,437 posts
  • LocationRI

Joel

I was hoping they was moving on from the 5xx series as we haven't seen any major release since the integration with the cgms.

I will be out of warranty in April of 2014. Honestly it will be difficult to wait another year or two for a more advanced pump. I don't like how long it takes for some of this stuff to get clearance from the fda. Like the Veo has been out in Europe for a couple years now.

Tony

"Weeding my way through Diabetes, and taking all of you along for the ride." - archimeech

JJM335

JJM335

• 500 plus
  • 759 posts
Tony

Veo was released in Europe in 2009. If they released it tomorrow in the USA that would still mean a delay of over 3 years! From the online stuff that I have seen it seems they are anticipating that it will be at least another couple of years before the 640G is released in the US which would take it to 2015, possibly 2016. The approval systme for upgrades is obviously too unwieldy. I suspect that the Animas pumpers are probably equally frustrated that the CGM-integrated Vibe is also still only available in Europe.

I agree that two years is a long wait with an out-of-warranty pump. My 522 is coming up to 5 years in the summer. It is actually a (refurbished) warranty replacement for one that croaked (due to motor error) about 3 years ago. I am going to hang on in the expectation that the 640G will be released by autumn, but I am still a bit nervous about its potential reliability over the next few months.

Joel

T1 since 1977

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

Tony

Veo was released in Europe in 2009. If they released it tomorrow in the USA that would still mean a delay of over 3 years! From the online stuff that I have seen it seems they are anticipating that it will be at least another couple of years before the 640G is released in the US which would take it to 2015, possibly 2016. The approval systme for upgrades is obviously too unwieldy. I suspect that the Animas pumpers are probably equally frustrated that the CGM-integrated Vibe is also still only available in Europe.

I agree that two years is a long wait with an out-of-warranty pump. My 522 is coming up to 5 years in the summer. It is actually a (refurbished) warranty replacement for one that croaked (due to motor error) about 3 years ago. I am going to hang on in the expectation that the 640G will be released by autumn, but I am still a bit nervous about its potential reliability over the next few months.

Joel

The Revel came out in the USA in mid-March 2010 (and I'm think they'll hold off until March here for the Veo). The Revel didn't get everything the Veo has but it was a nice upgrade from the x22. If Medtronic is so close to getting the 640G released in Europe, I wonder why they didn't just drop the Veo here in the USA and work on that?

I know that Minimed will get you a loner pump if your out-of-warranty pump dies but I don't know how long they let you keep it before you have to start the process for getting a new one. If it died next week, I don't think you'd be able to keep it until the anticipated release of the 640G. You'd have to get another VEO and then do a Pathway upgrade when the new pump comes out.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Lifescan Ultra meters

Tony

Tony

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,437 posts
  • LocationRI

I know that Minimed will get you a loner pump if your out-of-warranty pump dies but I don't know how long they let you keep it before you have to start the process for getting a new one. If it died next week, I don't think you'd be able to keep it until the anticipated release of the 640G. You'd have to get another VEO and then do a Pathway upgrade when the new pump comes out.

The thing with pathway is it's only good for that series pump, like the 5xx series or 7xx. You can't use the pathway to upgrade from 5xx to 7xx and since the 640 is an entirely new pump the same would apply.

I think the hold up on the Veo was getting the fda to approve of the low suspend feature, so a couple years went by with no upgrades because they are focused on a closed loop system and you can't have a closed loop with out the pump stopping insulin for a low bg. Which brings us to the new 90 degree sensors they have in Europe. I'm sure this will be released at the same time as the veo.

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users