Photo

Question about seeing an endocrinologist.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

zyprexacide

zyprexacide

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok so my doctor is sending me for more blood tests as he thinks i may need to start taking medicine for my type 2 diabetes. After he looks over the results of my tests he may send me to an endocrinologist. Only problem is i have no health insurance currently. Does anybody have a ballpark idea of what it would cost me to see an endocrinologist? I'm currently paying 95 bucks a visit to see my doctor. The word endocrinologist sounds expensive as heck. Any ideas?

Thanks. :hmmmm2:

duck

duck

• Seniors
  • 6,671 posts

Ok so my doctor is sending me for more blood tests as he thinks i may need to start taking medicine for my type 2 diabetes. After he looks over the results of my tests he may send me to an endocrinologist. Only problem is i have no health insurance currently. Does anybody have a ballpark idea of what it would cost me to see an endocrinologist? I'm currently paying 95 bucks a visit to see my doctor. The word endocrinologist sounds expensive as heck. Any ideas?

Thanks. :hmmmm2:

You'd have to call the endo he refers you to, but I was going to say figure on about $100. You know what's nutz? The endo (and your doc) probably accept insurance payments from some companies for as low as $50 to see patients. If you, as an individual, tried to negotiate a rate with the endo or doc for $75, they'd tell you to take a hike. I have never understood that.
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

am1977

am1977

• Seniors
  • 4,534 posts

You'd have to call the endo he refers you to, but I was going to say figure on about $100. You know what's nutz? The endo (and your doc) probably accept insurance payments from some companies for as low as $50 to see patients. If you, as an individual, tried to negotiate a rate with the endo or doc for $75, they'd tell you to take a hike. I have never understood that.

I work with insurance companies all day and this is true :dito:. The amount that is charged for a given procedure and what they actually receive from the insurance are two dramatically different amounts. I never realized this, before starting my job. Maybe this is stupid, but I always assumed insuranced paid for the total cost of the procedure :dontknow:.

Anyway, sorry for getting off track, as far as your question goes. It depends. It depends on how much the general visit is. Then there are costs for any tests or procedures as well. I would give the office a call :call: tomorrow and ask how much an initial visit would be w/o insurance.

Whatever the case, I think you should get seen if Diabetes is something that you worry about. Your health is too important to risk. The doctor office might be able to work something out with you... or maybe you could pay it off in installments.

Good luck and let us know how things go :wink:
I’ve faced myself
To cross out what I’ve become
Erase myself
And let go of what I’ve done

Put to rest
What you thought of me
Well I cleaned this slate
With the hands
Of uncertainty

So let mercy come
And wash away
What I’ve done

I’ve faced myself
To cross out what I’ve become
Erase myself
And let go of what I’ve done

Linkin Park~ "What I've Done" :thrasher:

archimeech

archimeech

• Seniors
  • 1,514 posts
My endo charges $110 for the visit without adding any of the testing, but I have insurance and I'm sure the fees are different for cash visits. good luck! Insurance is such a crazy thing, and I've been lucky to have it for the last few years. I don't know what I'd do without it lately.
The only way to manage diabetes is to CURE it...
Diabetes since December, 1983
Meds: Humalog/Pump since 1998, Synthroid 200mcg, Zetia 10mg, Altace 10mg, Prevacid 60mg, Zoloft 150 mg, Xyzal, Benfotiamine 600mg, 1-a-day multivitamin, Aspirin 325 mg, Garlic-geltab 4,000mg, methylcel. fiber therapy 2,000mg(for cholesterol) So, what's in your lunchbox? :1eye:

Funding JDRF to get rid of diabetes is like funding the Mafia to get rid of organized crime

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,783 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
My endo charges $112 for the visit and $21 for an A1C. am1977, my insurance pays $71.61 for the visit and $13.56 for the A1C. That is standard practice in the insurance industry, homeowners and auto insurance is the same way. Basically businesses have to meet price guidelines put out by the insurance company or else they won't be on that plan. This helps it so doctor's can't rip insurance companies off as much.

When I went on the Guardian for 72 hours (actually about 60) the charge to do that was $209 however my insurance only pays $53.02.

This is what is under my endo bills:
"*This provider is a member of the Humana Network. Services are discounted according to the Humana Network negotiated rate."

Heck, when I had my auto-accident my insurance told the body shop that fixed my car they would only pay $50/$60 per hour to fix it on rates that are now $75/$90 per hour.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

zyprexacide

zyprexacide

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Many thanks for all replies. This has been very helpful to me.

My doctor will be waiting to recieve my blood test results before he decides whether or not to send me to the Endocrinologist although i get the feeling he will want to. Ive been having alot of symptoms lately ive never had before and my blood sugar is getting in the range of 237-304.

I guess im just plain scared right now. I was diagnosed with type 2 originally in March of 2000 with the status of non-medicine controlled. I'm guessing i wasnt doing someting right over the last 5 years because i'm 31 years old now and its just getting worse. Guessing i wasnt doing something right actually isnt true. There is no need to guess. I screwed up. I took weight off and gained it back. I never quit smoking. Im not eating right. I need to get myself straightened out before its too late.

Thanks to everyone for reading and replying. I already know im going to like it here. I'm kind of a noob to diabetes but i hope i can help support and contribute anyway.

HypnoToad

HypnoToad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Move to Canada, i dont have to pay to see any of my doctors, and my work covers my drugs and test strip costs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users