• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

ssur

ssur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Good afternoon,

This forum helped me with my addition to Victoza, which has been wonderous over the last year. Endo would like me to move to the new v-GO disposal delivery system. Have appt with her and rep on thuirsday. Got the supplies the other day. Any experience with this new product.

Thanks in Advance

Russ

GrammaBear

GrammaBear

• 500 plus
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
  • I am a:Type 1
I would be uncomfortable with 'preset' basal doses because from experience my basal doses do not stay the same from one month to the next. Ask your Endo a lot of questions about hypoglycemia that could be a result of too much basal or bolus insulin.

Type 1 - Dx April 2003

Medtronic Revel pump - August 2010
Dexcom Gen4 - Sep 2007

Cormac_Doyle

Cormac_Doyle

• 500 plus
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationIreland (For Now)
My basal rate is not consistent from one part of the day to the next ... (I have 6 basal rates ... and thats only because I'm too lazy to get more accurate)!

HbA1c
2007/2008 - Sept 07: 10.9; Feb 08: 8.5; Sept 08: 7.3;
2009 - Feb: 7.5; Apr: 6.4; Aug: 6.1;
2010 - Jan: 7.0; Mar: 6.4; Jun: 6.1; Oct: 5.9;
2011 - Jan: 6.4; Apr: 6.5; Aug: 6.3; Nov: 6.2;
2012 - Mar: 6.7; May: 6.3; June: 6.2; Sep: 5.4; Dec: 6.0;
2013 - Mar: 6.1; May: 6.5; July: 6.3; Nov: 6.1;
2014 - Apr: 6.3;

Meds - Glucophage: 2000mg; Omega 3: 4000mg; Crestor: 20mg; Victoza: 1.8mg; Humulin: 150-250 iu ( originally 1800-2400 iu daily)

Started Pump: 10th April 2011 - Minimed Paradigm Veo

GrammaBear

GrammaBear

• 500 plus
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois
I also have 6, although during the Summer when it is hot weather I have 8 or 9 basal rates. Sometimes it seems that my basal rates change after every infusion set change :(

Type 1 - Dx April 2003

Medtronic Revel pump - August 2010
Dexcom Gen4 - Sep 2007

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
For a Type 2, the V-Go may be sufficient. Even though it has set basal rates that you can't change, I bet the hourly delivery does work better than taking one or two large injections. Still, the maximum basal amount is 40 units and that may not be nearly enough coverage for many Type 2s. You can give a maximum total of 36 units of bolus insulin in 2 unit increments.

The device is clearly marketed only to Type 2s. A lot of the issues a Type 1 may have with it might not matter for a Type 2.

To me, it seems like a huge waste of plastic. It needs to be changed every day and you are limited by the dosages available (basal delivery 20, 30 or 40 units a day plus the max of 36 units for bolus). Unless a patient is so terrified of needles that he/she stops taking insulin altogether, or only some of the time, I think pens or vials & syringes would be much easier and even more flexible because you're not tied to specific doses. If you are very insulin resistant, I can't see the V-Go working.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

Michael R Zeigl

Michael R Zeigl

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
I agree Liz. Definitely not for type 1 diabetics and severely limited for type 2's. I remember years ago when diabetics took 1 or 2 injections per day and had strict dietary guidelines to follow. While this is more convenient and one can give limited boluses, the fixed basal and the 36 unit max bolus amount per day reminds me a little of those days of matching your life to the insulin dosage.

ssur

ssur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Welll on friday i started with the Vgo 30 system. Delivers 1.25 U/hr additional there is 36 units available for bolus at meals. Currently I click 3 times 6 additional units each meal. I also can 'click' to cover a snack. I am using the vg0-30 which with the continuous basal and standard bolus clicks and additonal clicks I can take 66 total units per day. Prior was taking 48 lantus 24 in the morning and 24 at bedtime. Novolog measured dose average 14-15 units per shot, AND 1.8 units victiza once at dinner. Still taking Victoza under the vgo plan.

Sugar numbers are running a little higher than normal, thinking is started on weekend, see what today brings as a normal day. Not hard to use or operate, little hard pulling it off each morning but does stay in place.

Will keep posting statuses.

Russ

ssur

ssur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
03/04 - evening numbers were the best they have been under this program. Waiting for the 2 hour after number.

Russ

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
I'm not surprised your numbers are running higher. It sounds like you're taking quite a bit less insulin than before (30 units of basal vs. 48) and far less bolus with each meal. The hourly delivery of fast acting insulin may give better coverage than if you had just taken 30 units of Lantus/Levemir all in one go, but it will be interesting to see if the 30 units is enough for you. Is there a reason your doctor didn't prescrive the one with 40 units of basal?
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

ssur

ssur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Today numbers are running better somewhat. About 5 points higher than pre-vgo now. I thinking the vgo 40 might be a better option. With I am much happier with the numbers than I was over weekend. I have to send results on the end of this week, and have a followup end of follwing week.

Russ

ssur

ssur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok now almost 3 weeks into this system. My numbers have been coming down to pre-vgo days. I am guessing my body needed adjust to the new flow. My morning out of bed numbers are even lower than before. I also found a great app for my phone, Glucose Buddy, free for Iphone or Android. Realy easy to use. I guess the real test will be my next AC1 to compare to the A1C before vgo. Will keep posting as things change.

Russ

DIABRESEARCHER

DIABRESEARCHER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Liz,
Hope you are doing well.

Please could you tell me how much does V-Go cost (the initial cost) and also the supply cost.

Thank you.

BR
Deepti

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,174 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
https://www.go-vgo.com/what-is-vgo

Here is the website. You can call and chat about the expense with a representative.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users