- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Roland750

Roland750

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Curious if anyone has tried Garcinia Cambogia to help with weight loss and if there are any side effects with Metformin?

Roland750

Roland750

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I heard back from my Dr. and he isn't sure if you can use Garcinia Cambogia with Metformin. I'll continue to do more research and if he give me the green light I'll be sure to update this thread.

Ela

Ela

• 500 plus
  • 1,993 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
You know, before I was diagnosed and tried to lose weight with regular low calorie, low fat diets, I was also looking for supplements that should help. At some time I was taking some "SlimThin" or some other. And some seemed to help with weight.

But now I'm thinking; I didn't really consider that I could become diabetic as I have no family history AT ALL. But was it safe for me to take these things? And could it be possible that some of them actually CONTRIBUTED to my diabetes? Because now I'm experimenting with some supplements too with more research and a different goal - to get my BG as close to normal as possible. And some of the supplements give me a big BG raise and interestingly some not right away but in the course of a few days. But I don't feel anything differently and only see it because I test A LOT. And I don't know what happened with my BG back then when I took those supplements.

I think a diabetic should care first and foremost about their BG and try to go about it the most natural way. And personally I wouldn't even look on the supplements that only supposedly help with weight loss. Weight loss is a good goal but I don't think taking some questionable stuff for achieving it is worth the risk. Diet, exercise with the help of your meter is the best way to go.

Another thing - while in many cases weight loss is helpful for getting diabetes under control, it's value sometimes is overstated IMO.

And last but not least - often when you control your BG by eating to your meter your weight comes off without much trying.
"In some ways, being a well-controlled diabetic is an ongoing science experiment" Scratch

Diagnosed 4/11 A1C=10.8
6/11 A1C = 7.8
8/11 A1C = 5.7
11/11 A1C=6.1
1/12 A1C = 6.2
5/12 A1C = 5.9 Finally!
8/12 A1C = 6.1 for NO REASON
12/12 A1C=5.5
4/13 A1C = 5.4
7/13 A1C = 5.8
2/14 A1C = 5.8
Metformin 500X2, Ramipril 2.5, Magnesium Citrate, Chromium Picolinate, Milk Thistle, Goldenseal

Roland750

Roland750

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You know, before I was diagnosed and tried to lose weight with regular low calorie, low fat diets, I was also looking for supplements that should help. At some time I was taking some "SlimThin" or some other. And some seemed to help with weight.

But now I'm thinking; I didn't really consider that I could become diabetic as I have no family history AT ALL. But was it safe for me to take these things? And could it be possible that some of them actually CONTRIBUTED to my diabetes? Because now I'm experimenting with some supplements too with more research and a different goal - to get my BG as close to normal as possible. And some of the supplements give me a big BG raise and interestingly some not right away but in the course of a few days. But I don't feel anything differently and only see it because I test A LOT. And I don't know what happened with my BG back then when I took those supplements.

I think a diabetic should care first and foremost about their BG and try to go about it the most natural way. And personally I wouldn't even look on the supplements that only supposedly help with weight loss. Weight loss is a good goal but I don't think taking some questionable stuff for achieving it is worth the risk. Diet, exercise with the help of your meter is the best way to go.

Another thing - while in many cases weight loss is helpful for getting diabetes under control, it's value sometimes is overstated IMO.

And last but not least - often when you control your BG by eating to your meter your weight comes off without much trying.

Thanks for the input. I've been diabetic for 7 years. That being said I finally quit smoking about 1.5 years ago and gained 20 lbs. My BG went up enough that my Dr. upped my metformin to 4x500mg a day. My goal is try and lose 20-30 lbs and see if that helps with my BG level.If it works Yay!!!! If not I lost some weight. FWIW I test three times a day just to make sure there isn't any significant change.

Ela

Ela

• 500 plus
  • 1,993 posts

Thanks for the input. I've been diabetic for 7 years. That being said I finally quit smoking about 1.5 years ago and gained 20 lbs. My BG went up enough that my Dr. upped my metformin to 4x500mg a day. My goal is try and lose 20-30 lbs and see if that helps with my BG level.If it works Yay!!!! If not I lost some weight. FWIW I test three times a day just to make sure there isn't any significant change.

Oh so you gained weight because you quit smoking and THEN your BG went up... interesting...I guess weight does contribute to BG control, at least in some cases. I mean surely that what the doctos tell you but then they tell you many other things.... Maybe I should look into something too after all because as of now I'm not trying to lose weight even though I could stand shedding a few lbs. I was actually thinking of upping my exercise. How about you?

In any case please keep us posted on your progress either with Garcinia or without.

Good luck!
"In some ways, being a well-controlled diabetic is an ongoing science experiment" Scratch

Diagnosed 4/11 A1C=10.8
6/11 A1C = 7.8
8/11 A1C = 5.7
11/11 A1C=6.1
1/12 A1C = 6.2
5/12 A1C = 5.9 Finally!
12/12 A1C=5.5
4/13 A1C = 5.4
7/13 A1C = 5.8
2/14 A1C = 5.8
Metformin 500X2, Ramipril 2.5, Magnesium Citrate, Chromium Picolinate, Milk Thistle, Goldenseal

DeusXM

DeusXM

Grumpy Briton

• 500 plus
  • 5,944 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I'd be inclined to avoid it, based on the research.

Gambooge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Weight loss
Gambooge extracts are an ingredient in some herbal weight loss, appetite suppressant and energy products. [4] A meta-analysis found a possible short-term small effect (under 1 kilogram), but also adverse effects that led to one preparation being withdrawn from the market.[5][6]

A 1998 randomized controlled trial looked at the effects of garcinia as a potential “antiobesity agent” in 135 people. The conclusion from this trial was that the pills were no better than placebo for weight and fat loss. [7]

Hepatotoxicity

Hepatotoxicity (liver toxicity) from weight-loss supplements which contain extracts of Garcinia cambogia has been reported.[6]

Furthermore, on the general Garcinia page:

Garcinia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Extracts of the exocarp of certain species – typically gambooge, but also purple mangosteen – are often contained in appetite suppressants such as Hydroxycut, Leptoprin or XanGo. But their effectiveness at normal consumption levels is unproven, while at least one case of severe acidosis caused by long-term consumption of such products has been documented.[3] Furthermore, they may contain significant amounts of hydroxycitric acid, which is somewhat toxic and might even destroy the testicles after prolonged use.

So in other words, it doesn't work and will probably fry your liver and testicles. Frankly I'd rather just go the gym for a bit longer.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

Maggiegong

Maggiegong

• 500 plus
  • 226 posts

And some of the supplements give me a big BG raise and interestingly some not right away but in the course of a few days. But I don't feel anything differently and only see it because I test A LOT.

Hi Ela, which supplements did you find had a bad effect? I'm trying a few but I wouldn't risk anything that might give me raise in BG. Thanks. Maggie

Ela

Ela

• 500 plus
  • 1,993 posts

Hi Ela, which supplements did you find had a bad effect? I'm trying a few but I wouldn't risk anything that might give me raise in BG. Thanks. Maggie

I didn't try any weight loss supplements lately - only before the dx. And back then I didn't know how it affected my BG as i didn't test.

But if you interested in other things I tried recently -what really gave me bad effect was Acetyl L-Carnintine with Alpha lipoic (400/200 mg). I was looking for Alpha Lipoic and couldn't find it and this was on the shelve and it said:

Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl L-Carnitine form an excellent combination for promoting meatabolic functioning to fight against free radicals and oxidative stress.* Free radicals can contribute to oxidative stress, which in turn may contribute to the premature aging of cells.* As a supplement, Acetyl L-Carnitine with Alpha Lipoic Acid can be used as part of a healthy aging program.*"

So I thought how bad could it be? I needed all that "metabolic functioning to fight free radicals" - well it turned out that I couldn't sleep anymore and my BG got higher and especially my FBG -went from usual below 100 to 103, 107 and 115 and then I stopped it and it came back to 93 next day.

Also I was taking Gaba for a month as many members apparently benefited from it and yet I found that if I took it closer to bed time and also if I had alcohol closer to taking it - it raised my BG and especially FBG. Otherwise I didn't notice a difference BG wise. However there was some good effect too; lately if I went to the bathroom during the night I couldn't go back to sleep due to heart pounding very loud, but since I started GABA this pounding stopped and it seems that I was sleeping better too. I recommended it to my husband and he liked it, said he sleeps better. I actually stopped taking it yesterday and will see what happens. I might try it sometime later.

Diagnosed 4/11 A1C=10.8
6/11 A1C = 7.8
8/11 A1C = 5.7
11/11 A1C=6.1
1/12 A1C = 6.2
5/12 A1C = 5.9 Finally!
12/12 A1C=5.5
4/13 A1C = 5.4
7/13 A1C = 5.8
2/14 A1C = 5.8

skypillar

skypillar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
This is all new to me, but I am grateful for this online forum, because I need help. I took garcinia to help lose weight, and now oh boy do I wish I never had. I only wanted to lose ten pounds. Now I have diabetes II. The connection is there, now anyway, listed somewhere in the side-effects, but I DIDN'T HAVE diabetes when I ordered it, and Dr. Oz recommended it. Now I have diabetes II and am going through ****. I am also a recovered anorectic, and nobody but members of that club will understand that having to think about food all the time is pure ****. I guess I'm in withdrawal from sugar perhaps? I am extremely depressed, already have disabling rheumatoid arthritis, and at this point it feels hard to see why I should go on. (I am 60.) I would be so grateful for any advice.

Ephesians4:32

Ephesians4:32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

This is all new to me, but I am grateful for this online forum, because I need help. I took garcinia to help lose weight, and now oh boy do I wish I never had. I only wanted to lose ten pounds. Now I have diabetes II. The connection is there, now anyway, listed somewhere in the side-effects, but I DIDN'T HAVE diabetes when I ordered it, and Dr. Oz recommended it. Now I have diabetes II and am going through ****. I am also a recovered anorectic, and nobody but members of that club will understand that having to think about food all the time is pure ****. I guess I'm in withdrawal from sugar perhaps? I am extremely depressed, already have disabling rheumatoid arthritis, and at this point it feels hard to see why I should go on. (I am 60.) I would be so grateful for any advice.

I will probably get hate mail for this, but I don't care. The best advice I can give you is: Jesus. Honestly, some days I don't feel like getting out of bed, I am in so much pain, or too anxious and everything feels so overwhelming. In those times I am so glad I have Jesus to lean on, b/c He says in John 15:5 "apart from Me you can do nothing", and it is so true - I don't know where I would be without Him. I know that this world is difficult, and I am such a sinner, but I know He died for my sins and I have placed my faith in Jesus Christ my Lord and personal savior. I know after this world is over and done with and I leave this earth, I will be with Him in paradise, having eternal life in heaven. Remembering that keeps me going. The best advice I can give you is to place your faith in Jesus Christ, repent of your sins and accept Him as your Lord and personal savior. He died for you so that you can live. (John 3:16). Its a free gift, accept it! (Romans 6:23)

As for medical advice, I am no doctor but I would suggest taking Vitamin D3 supplements. It is suppose to help boost your immune system and low levels appear to have a contributing factor in depression, based on personal experience and on what I have read. It really has helped me with depression. But again, I'm not a doctor so I would recommend getting your vitamin D levels checked before you take anything higher than 1,000 IU daily. I was deficient and my doctor told me to take 10,000 IU daily for 2 weeks and then 5,000 IU/day from then on. That was in 2009 and I"m still taking it. When I run out and I delay in buying more, I notice a significant decrease in energy, increase in low moods and general malaise and body pains. (I also have fibromyalgia).
Vitamin D deficiency has also been linked to insulin resistance which we all know can lead to diabetes if left untreated.

I would also suggest that you have your thyroid levels checked if you haven't already, regardless of your gender. Hypothyroidism is becoming more prevalent these days, and the thyroid contributes to so many processes in the body. A sluggish thyroid can lead to metabolic syndrome (and again we see insulin resistance with this).

I know you said you are a recovering anorexic. An important thing to remember is that when you go a long time without eating, your body goes into starvation mode, and your blood sugar will be low until you eat again - but once you eat, your blood sugar skyrockets, it will spike because you waited so long to eat and then introduced food into your body suddenly, and your body being in starvation mode will want to store everything for energy. It will want to store fat, but also remember our bodies make and store carbs for energy and will break down glycogen for fuel. But in order to deal with all the carbohydrates suddenly entering your body, a large amount of insulin will be released to bring down your blood sugar. If this keeps happening overtime, the cells will eventually become unresponsive to the huge amounts of insulin, leading possibly to insulin resistance and ultimately diabetes if not controlled. This could possibly have contributed to your diabetes. Maybe not, but just a thought to consider.

(BTW, magnesium supplements help with mental issues, I take it and it has calmed me down from feeling so anxious. I take 400 mg magnesium citrate per day, sometimes up to 600. Do a search on it and read about how our soils are deficient.)

Are you taking medication for diabetes? Insulin resistance and diabetes runs in my family. I was prescribed metformin 500 mg 2x daily but for PCOS, because insulin resistance plays a factor in that condition. Seems like insulin resistance is wreaking havoc everywhere!

****i know I'm 3 months late but hopefully you will still find this post helpful.****

diana13t

diana13t

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I was taking Metformin ER 500mg 3x a day for a year and a half with no problems. It was for PCOS not diabetes. Then I switched doctors and she took me off of Metformin, which caused me to gain 25 lbs in 2.5 months. So I went to a endroconoligist (sp?) and he put me on metformin ER 500 mg again. I've been on it for a few weeks starting with just 1 a day and building up to 3 a day and I've been fine. But then this past Monday I started taking Garcinia Cambogia and started getting diarrhea on Wednesday. I didn't put 2 and 2 together yet. Then on Friday I still had the diarrhea plus I started getting "stinky burps" which are called sulphur burps. They are HORRIBLE...they taste and smell like a$$!!! I also ended up throwing up once. I woke up Saturday not having the stinky burps anymore although I had had them all night along with the diarrhea. So I decided not to take the Garcinia Cambogia that day. NO MORE STINKY BURPS OR DIARRHEA!!!. I wasn't sure if I had just caught a stomach bug or if it was a medication interaction, so I decided to take Garcinia Cambogia again today. Guess what.....I have the stinking burps again and my stomach is bloated again. So in my case, Metformin and Garcinia Cambogia do NOT mix well!!! If you want to read more about what caused sulphur burps, just google it. I'll let you know in a day or two if symptoms clear up after not taking Garcinia Cambogia anymore. Good luck!!!

gabrielo

gabrielo

• 500 plus
  • 186 posts
The NY Times of Dec. 21, 2013 had a story about dietary supplements.

"Spike in Harm to Liver Is Tied to Dietary Aids"

http://www.nytimes.c...-aids.html?_r=0

I would also like to comment if you are getting a surprising reaction to a supplement it may be because there is an unlisted ingredient in it.
These products are unregulated and sometimes manufacturers add other ingredients to the product which may be causing the reaction.

Edited by gabrielo, 23 December 2013 - 05:24 AM.

Type 2
Diag. 11/98
A1C=5.3 (7/00)           A1C= 6.0 (3/14)
A1C=6.0 (7/08)
A1C=6.3 (11/08)
A1C =5.9 (4/09)
A1C=6.1 (7/10)
A1C =5.8 (9/12)
A1C= 5.8 (12/12)
A1C= 5.9 (3/13)
A1C= 5.9 (6/13)
A1C= 5.6 (9/13)
A1C= 5.8 (12/13)

Age 66
diet & exercise