Photo

Galvus Met (50/500) - Any Side effects of taking them long term ?

- - - - - diabetes diabetes cure gliptins type 2 vildagliptin

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

VEDICKUMAR

VEDICKUMAR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi All ,

I have been taking Galvus MET ( 50/500) Vildagliptin 50 /Metformin 500 from past 1.5 yrs .
My Age is 29.
Initially I was having HBA1c of 15.1 when detected 1.5 yrs back.
For initial two months I tool Human mixtard 30 /70 and lowered down my Blood Sugar to 150's .

After that I have been solely on Galvus MET ( 50/500) Vildagliptin 50 /Metformin 500 with 6.0 Hba1c and 130-160 Blood Sugar.

Do you people think there are any side effects of taking Vildagliptin for such long term or I have to take the same throughout life.

Regards,
Vedic

NoraWI

NoraWI

• 500 plus
  • 1,561 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
  • I am a:Type 1
Welcome to the Forum. I guess you haven't had any responses because we are unfamiliar with the medication you are asking about. Even though Metformin is a familiar oral medication for T2s, Galvus MET (Vildagliptin 50 /Metformin 500) is a combination I have never heard of. Is Vildagliptin a sulf... an oral med that presses the pancreas to produce more insulin? 500 mg of metformin is a beginning dose and wouldn't have much of an effect. Maximum is somewhere above 2,000mg. I hope a T2 will come along and give the exact maximum amount. They usually start new diabetics at the 500mg dose to avoid intestinal distress.

Please tell us more about yourself. Are you overweight? If not, then I would suggest you ask your doctor to give you a c-peptide and a GAD65 antibody test. If you test low on the c-peptide test, then your pancreas are not making enough insulin. If you test positive on the GAD65, then you are a T1 and not a T2. In that case what you need is insulin. 70/30 mixtard may be too much of one and not enough of the other insulin. And there is no way to adjust. You could ask your doctor to prescribe separate basal (slow) and bolus (fast) insulins so you can inject the amount of each that is right for you. We call that MDI (Multiple Daily Injections). That kind of insulin treatment gives much better results.
NoraWI
T1 since 2002, MDI since 2004
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010

Cormac_Doyle

Cormac_Doyle

• 500 plus
  • 1,366 posts
Galvus (Vitagliptin) is a DPP-4 inhibitor very similar to Januvia ... so Galvus Met is probably very similar to Janumet ...

When on Janumet or similar, it comes in 500 / 850 or 1000 mg Metformin + the Januvia/Galvus component ... normally taken twice a day (morning & evening) - if a third dose of Metformin is required, it is taken simply as Metformin, at lunchtime

Hope that helps ...
HbA1c
2007/2008 - Sept 07: 10.9; Feb 08: 8.5; Sept 08: 7.3;
2009 - Feb: 7.5; Apr: 6.4; Aug: 6.1;
2010 - Jan: 7.0; Mar: 6.4; Jun: 6.1; Oct: 5.9;
2011 - Jan: 6.4; Apr: 6.5; Aug: 6.3; Nov: 6.2;
2012 - Mar: 6.7; May: 6.3; June: 6.2; Sep: 5.4; Dec: 6.0
2013 - Mar: 6.1; May: 6.5; July: 6.3; Nov: 6.1

Meds - Glucophage: 2000mg; Omega 3: 4000mg; Crestor: 20mg; Victoza: 1.8mg; Humulin: 150-250 iu ( originally 1800-2400 iu daily)

Started Pump: 10th April 2011 - Minimed Paradigm Veo

patticakes789

patticakes789

• 500 plus
  • 243 posts
Galvus is not approved in the US but it is in the EU and other countries. There are certainly safety concerns, just do your research! =)
Type 2

Dx: 11-May-2012, FBG 330 :eek:
Rx: Metformin 1000mg BID, Diovan - Lipitor stopped 9-Sep-2012
Diet: VLC/HF (~30 carbs daily)

HbA1c @ Dx: ~12s (11-May-2012)
HbA1c: 5.4 (30-Aug-2012)
HbA1c: 5.3 (30-Nov-2012)

Pain is a given, misery is optional.

VEDICKUMAR

VEDICKUMAR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi All ,

Thanks for such quick Reply ...We all are travelling in same boat I guess....I am a bit overweight with weight of 85 kgs on height of 5 Ft 7 inches (although it doesnt looks as Obese ) ...What I want to ask is whether Gliptins like Sitagliptin ( Janumet ) and Vlidagliptin are safe way...Since Vlidagliptin is relatively newer drug it's not yet approved by FDA but may be approved in future course..

( P.S - Gliptins are DP4 inhibitors)
Also My Doc says that Sulf drugs are fastly replaced by Gliptins since they dont wear out the beta cells and we would not require insulin in future as is the case with sulfonorea drugs..Also in my country India Gliptins as drugs are not banned .

So should I go ahead with the medication as I have been going in past 1.5 yrs or leave Gliptins and consider some other Doc .
Please Suggest

Regards,
VEDIC

Cormac_Doyle

Cormac_Doyle

• 500 plus
  • 1,366 posts
the dpp4 inhibitors (gliptins) are certainly better than sulpha drugs. however, they do carry an increased risk of cancer. if you are young, you may want to go for the injectable glp-1 drugs (victoza, byetta, byduron) instead ...
HbA1c
2007/2008 - Sept 07: 10.9; Feb 08: 8.5; Sept 08: 7.3;
2009 - Feb: 7.5; Apr: 6.4; Aug: 6.1;
2010 - Jan: 7.0; Mar: 6.4; Jun: 6.1; Oct: 5.9;
2011 - Jan: 6.4; Apr: 6.5; Aug: 6.3; Nov: 6.2;
2012 - Mar: 6.7; May: 6.3; June: 6.2; Sep: 5.4; Dec: 6.0
2013 - Mar: 6.1; May: 6.5; July: 6.3; Nov: 6.1

Meds - Glucophage: 2000mg; Omega 3: 4000mg; Crestor: 20mg; Victoza: 1.8mg; Humulin: 150-250 iu ( originally 1800-2400 iu daily)

Started Pump: 10th April 2011 - Minimed Paradigm Veo

patticakes789

patticakes789

• 500 plus
  • 243 posts

What I want to ask is whether Gliptins like Sitagliptin ( Janumet ) and Vlidagliptin are safe way...Since Vlidagliptin is relatively newer drug it's not yet approved by FDA but may be approved in future course..

I just want to offer a slight correction...vildagliptin (Galvus) is unlikely to approved in the US. It was submitted for review by FDA in 2006, and while FDA said it was approvable, they requested additional data/studies that addressed safety issues - there was concern around an increase in adverse renal events and around preclinical issues with skin lesions in monkeys.

To my knowledge Novartis has not refiled in the US with the requested data.

That's why I said, do you your research and decide if the risks/issues are a problem for you. If you find Galvus is working for you, and it's not causing any problems, then you will have your answer - as with any drug you take long term.

The problem with all newer classes of drugs is that safety problems are hard to detect and often aren't found until they have been monitored within the broader population human beings. This is why there is an increasing focus on postmarketing safety within the industry.
Type 2

Dx: 11-May-2012, FBG 330 :eek:
Rx: Metformin 1000mg BID, Diovan - Lipitor stopped 9-Sep-2012
Diet: VLC/HF (~30 carbs daily)

HbA1c @ Dx: ~12s (11-May-2012)
HbA1c: 5.4 (30-Aug-2012)
HbA1c: 5.3 (30-Nov-2012)

Pain is a given, misery is optional.

liline

liline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Bonjour,

Mon père a pris GALVUS en été 2013 mais son glucos continuait à augmenter donc le medecin a décider de lui en préscrire un peu plus afin de faire l'effet....... quelques mois après il a eu de fortes douleurs et perte d'appetit et de l'eau dans le ventre....après examens diagnostic du cancer du pancréas fin décembre 2013 !!! il est malheureusement décédé début février donc très rapidement mais je suis absolument sur que le medicament en est la cause !!! (ou du moins à accélerer) : Mad:
pourquoi laisser certains médicaments aussi dangereux (et interdits dans certains pays) se vendre !!!! est-ce des histoires de labo! je suis absolument révolté et souhaite faire des recherches pour dénoncer ce médicament pour prévenir les personnes qui doivent le prendre.

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,312 posts
  • Location95966
  • I am a:Type 2
Translation from French:

My father took GALVUS in summer 2013, but his glucose continued to increase so the doctor has decided to prescribe him a little more to make the effect ....... a few months after he had severe pain and loss of appetite and water in the stomach .... after diagnosis of pancreatic cancer exams end December 2013! he unfortunately passed away in early February so quickly but I am absolutely sure that the medication is the cause! (or at least accelerate): Mad:
why let some drugs as dangerous (and banned in some countries) to sell!! Is stories lab! I am absolutely disgusted and would do some research to denounce this medicine to prevent people who should take it.

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

NoraWI

NoraWI

• 500 plus
  • 1,561 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
  • I am a:Type 1
Well translated, Bounty! Yes, there is a risk of pancreatic cancer from this medication as well as Janumet and others of its ilk. I believe there is a warning on it to that effect. Frankly, I don't understand why people don't just go directly to insulin and a reduced carbohydrate diet with exercise. There is nothing safer.

My condolences, Liline, on the death of your father.
NoraWI
T1 since 2002, MDI since 2004
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010

JuliaDay2013

JuliaDay2013

• 500 plus
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX
  • I am a:Type 2
Yes, thank you, Bounty!

Liline, my condolences also on the death of your father.

Vedic, as we ALL do, only you are able to decide what drugs you are willing to take. You've been given some great advice here.

Cathy

04/15/14    6.4

01/15/14    6.6

10/08/13    7.7

Dr A I T

Dr A I T

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,
DPP 4 inhibitors (januvia, galuvs and onglyza) are a new antibiabetic medications for type 2 DM. All These medications have FDA approval with some concern.
Before taKing these medications you should discuss everything with you Dr, your Dr needs to know your liver and kidney function before prescribing these new medications.
However DPP 4 inhibitors are difinitely better than SU for many reasons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diabetes, diabetes cure, gliptins, type 2, vildagliptin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users