- - - - - glycemic index pasta type i whole wheat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

BillK

BillK

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, so I thought whole wheat pasta was okay-ish and any other pasta was just as bad as white bread.

BUT THEN...I saw that protein enriched pasta (like Barilla Plus) has a glycemic index of 27!!! Actually lower than whole wheat pasta at 37.

So, should I switch to Barilla Plus or another type of protein enriched pasta, or stick with the whole wheat?

Some background info about me: 26 year old male, type I, slightly underweight for my size.

MCS

MCS

• 500 plus
  • 4,637 posts
If your T1, slightly under weight with good control and can bolus properly for pasta I owuld stick to whats working.
---------------------------------
Asprin 2-6 325mg per day
Amino Acids, Vitamins Bx, C, D, E
Hi-Maize 260, Ground and Whole Flax Seed
COQ10, Magnesium, Zinc, Fish Oil, Lisinopril
A1C estimate of 10-12 at dxed 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
Everyone has something to offer, you just have to listen

Ela

Ela

• 500 plus
  • 2,125 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I think you should test before and after meal to know the answer for you.

I'm a bit confused: you're Type 1 and looking for glycemic index? Isnt couning carbs and matching it with your insulin ratio a better way? But I'm not on insulin and maybe somebody else with experience could answer you better.

My own experience taught me that any pasta - regular, whole wheat, brown rice, protein enriched, etc - they ALL give me the same spike and sometimes it's hard to see it as it could come 3-4 hrs later after pasta!

And also I absolutely didn't see any difference between "whole" bread and pasta & brown rice and other "healthy" stuff vs regular white stuff BG wise. They could be healthier in other ways, but somehow I doubt it. Some of those "whole" things have high fructose syrup in them! And also ALL processed food is stripped of nutrients about the same way IMO. Unless you grow those whole grains and bake the bread and make pasta yourself. Oh and another thing I found out - those "whole" things sometimes need more chemicals added as preservatives because they spoil faster.

So I don't worry anymore about "whiteness" or "holiness" of my bread or pasta and eat white bread (in very limited quantities 10 carbs worth a meal usually only once a day) and shirataki pasta.

"In some ways, being a well-controlled diabetic is an ongoing science experiment" Scratch

Diagnosed 4/11 A1C=10.8
6/11 A1C = 7.8
8/11 A1C = 5.7
11/11 A1C=6.1
1/12 A1C = 6.2
5/12 A1C = 5.9 Finally!
8/12 A1C = 6.1 for NO REASON
12/12 A1C=5.5
4/13 A1C = 5.4
7/13 A1C = 5.8
2/14 A1C = 5.8
LCHF diet. Metformin 500X2, Ramipril 2.5, Magnesium Citrate, Chromium Picolinate, Milk Thistle.

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,947 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
All pasta is rather low GI because it digests slowly. I get my spikes at 3 and 4 hours with pasta. I don't think it matters the kind, if it is made with wheat flour it will eventually spike you. Some diabetics find the Dreamfields Pasta works better. But it still spikes me.
HbA1c 5.3 3/11 , HbA1c 5/12 6.1
metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

BillK

BillK

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah, I find that the "white stuff" screws my numbers, even when I allow 15 min for the insulin to work before eating. Same with fast food. As for the "eating limited quantities" part, who eats just one serving of pasta, honestly?

In response to Jwags, I have tried Dreamfields and love it. So I guess I'll stick with that.

Thanks for the input everyone! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glycemic index, pasta, type i, whole wheat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users