Before or After Meals?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

lordie

lordie

• 500 plus
  • 141 posts
There is some debate out there as to whether exercise in general is better before meals or after meals. For our purposes (at least to help control sugar, if nothing else) when is the best time to say...take a walk?

Bill A

Bill A

• 500 plus
  • 223 posts
Personally I tend to do something physical pretty soon after meals to help lower my bg prior to an increase from my meal. As stated previously it's the higher bg values that will cause organ damage within our bodies so again for myself I use exercise as a component of total bg control and not so much weight control but they seem to go hand in hand.

Joisey

Joisey

• 500 plus
  • 347 posts
I would also recommend after meals as there will be less chance of triggering a liver dump that way.

lordie

lordie

• 500 plus
  • 141 posts
Thanks guys. After meals it is. Now if I can only drag myself over to the treadmill...

Bountyman

Bountyman

SeƱor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,913 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2

Thanks guys. After meals it is. Now if I can only drag myself over to the treadmill...

Dragging yourself to the treadmill does not count as exercise. Do not deduct that time from your intended workout. :)

lordie

lordie

• 500 plus
  • 141 posts

Dragging yourself to the treadmill does not count as exercise. Do not deduct that time from your intended workout. :)

LOL! I feel better already. :)

Scratch

Scratch

• 500 plus
  • 2,088 posts
Since you're a type 1.5, be aware that a lot of us who have to take insulin can find that exercising with mealtime insulin still active can cause blood sugars to crash down rather quickly. You might find it necessary to inject less insulin for meals that you plan to exercise shortly after.

For me, I tend to prefer to exercise at times when I'm just running on my basal insulin of Lantus, unless it's something like lifting weights, because that doesn't drop sugars on me.
MDI, Lantus and Novolog
A1c 2/12 -- 5.9%

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,690 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1
While I was dancing I had the reward of a meal after the proformance as today I exercise ither before or after. As long that you perform some form of physical exercise you are using the fuel that you have eaten. Personly I would like to relax after a satisfying meal. ;):)

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

patricia52

patricia52

• 500 plus
  • 2,513 posts
Lordie, i would count dragging my self to the treadmill as exercise. After all it requires you to exercise your will power. Have a wonderful April Fool's Day.
Patricia

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users