- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

triptick

triptick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I started Metformin HCL ER 500mg tablets about two years ago. The doctor indicated to take one tablet twice a day. I have been taking one in the morning and one in the evening. Both with food. My doctor left all his patients high and dry and I had to find a new doctor. When I had to get his permission for refills he indicated two tablets once a day. I looked up info that suggested to take them with my evening meal. My question is it a problem to all of a sudden start takeing both. Does everyone take extended release or just plain Metformin. Was the first doctor wrong ? Thanks

Bountyman

Bountyman

SeƱor Member

• 500 plus
  • 5,146 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sometimes it's as simple as that.

triptick

triptick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That may be true but I just found this. Metformin Dosing Information: Usual adult doses for Diabetes Type II
500mg orally twice a day (with morning and evening meals) That's what I am doing. Extended Release 500 to 2000 mg orally once a day (with the evening meal) Max daily dose is 2500mg I have used Metformin ER since I started. Thanks for your reply.

TX_Clint

TX_Clint

Make my day!

• 500 plus
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationDallas
I don't know where you got your info but most diabetics I know including myself take at least 2000 mg a day but not at once. I take half in the morning and half in the evening. YMMV

<p>DX - 08/1997 - A1c 10.4

Metformin 500x4

Invokana 300

Levothroxine 137

2012 A1c 10.4/6.2/5.7

2013 A1c 5.9/5.5/5.3/5.4

2014 A1c 5.5/5.4/5.8

Hooterville

Hooterville

Hey, I like you!

• 500 plus
  • 5,941 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I've heard that ER Metformin can be taken all at once because it's extended release. When I took it, I took 1,000 mg two times per day. I've also heard that max dose for ER is 2,000 mg daily and max dose for regular metformin is 2,550 mg (850 X 3) daily.

A1c's: 1/11 9.4 ~ 3/11 7.9 ~ 6/11 7.8 ~ 7/11 7.6 ~ 10/11 7.5 ~ 12/11 6.4 ~ 3/12 5.9 ~ 6/12 5.4 ~ 9/12 5.4 ~ 12/12 5.3 ~ 3/13 5.1 ~ 8/13 5.5 ~ 10/13 5.4
Meds: 30 units Lantus - 2,550 mg Metformin
Diet: LCHF ketogenic, 30 to 40 carbs, dabbling in Paleo
Exercise: Lifting, walking, stair climbing
Weight Loss: 100.5 Pounds

She turned her can'ts in to cans and her dreams in to plans.

Posted Image

triptick

triptick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I found this info at Drugs.com and asked about Metformin. Why do some use regular Metformin and others use the same but it is extended release. I would like to ask my old doctor, where ever he is, why he prescribed Medformin ER and not just regular Medformin.

jims_forum

jims_forum

• 500 plus
  • 935 posts

I found this info at Drugs.com and asked about Metformin. Why do some use regular Metformin and others use the same but it is extended release. I would like to ask my old doctor, where ever he is, why he prescribed Medformin ER and not just regular Medformin.

I have used both and prefer the standard Metformin as it comes up to strength in blood quickly and that is reliable.

The extended release version uses a delayed ingestion of the pill due to binders and other substances and thusly the buildup in blood is much slower.

The standard form more reliably cuts off the liver excesss glucose release in me as seen on CGMS. I also spread lower doses - 500mg around the clock.
James (Jim) W. Snell
30+ years as type 2 diabetic
40 years as Digital Microprocessor System designer
Stroke in 2007 and retired.
Metformin, Humalog Lispro, 1200 calorie Diet and 1.5 to 2 miles walking exercise A1C = 6.4
http://db2jimcaresta.com

Todd G.

Todd G.

• 500 plus
  • 1,074 posts
More importantly, how are your blood sugar readings? How often do you test? Like Bountyman said, if your numbers are good, then why change anything. On the other hand, if they're not good, by all means change something.

I ask because I'm guessing that your doctor also told you not to bother testing, and also didn't tell you anything about diet. He just told you to take your pills. I'm skeptical that way. Am I right?

Maggiegong

Maggiegong

• 500 plus
  • 226 posts
In my case it makes sense to take ER as I only take 500mg and that keeps it in the system better over 24 hours but I also understand some people find it easier on the stomache than the regular stuff.

triptick

triptick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I want to thank all for your reply. Will have other questions from time to time to get a better understanding. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users