Photo

is coconut oil & coffee enough for brekkie?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

javagurrl

javagurrl

drinkin' the coffee & doin' the things

• Seniors
  • 9,837 posts
maybe a goober doof question, but it's all i had yesterday for 'breakfast' and didn't eat til lunchtime and i'm doing the same today - i'm getting used to putting some in my coffee and drinking it like that - you think that is enough for the body or do i need actual food too?

thx for your imput

:)

.........................Life's too short for bad coffee

~ Angie ♥

Dx'ed Aug 2012

A1c Aug '12 = 6.5

A1c May '17 = 5.7

No meds

coffee lover

do you pin? https://www.pinteres...m/javajunkie94/

Hooterville

Hooterville

Hey, I like you!

• Seniors
  • 5,941 posts

maybe a goober doof question, but it's all i had yesterday for 'breakfast' and didn't eat til lunchtime and i'm doing the same today - i'm getting used to putting some in my coffee and drinking it like that - you think that is enough for the body or do i need actual food too?

thx for your imput

:)

I'm not sure but if I'm just not feeling like eating and put off breakfast til later, I make sure to at least have coffee with a lot of cream. Coco oil would be better but I like my whipping cream.

Test upon waking, drink your coffee and coconut oil, and then test an hour or two later and see what happens.

A1c's: 1/11 9.4 ~ 3/11 7.9 ~ 6/11 7.8 ~ 7/11 7.6 ~ 10/11 7.5 ~ 12/11 6.4 ~ 3/12 5.9 ~ 6/12 5.4 ~ 9/12 5.4 ~ 12/12 5.3 ~ 3/13 5.1 ~ 8/13 5.5 ~ 10/13 5.4
Meds: 30 units Lantus - 2,550 mg Metformin
Diet: LCHF ketogenic, 30 to 40 carbs, dabbling in Paleo
Exercise: Lifting, walking, stair climbing
Weight Loss: 100.5 Pounds

She turned her can'ts in to cans and her dreams in to plans.

Posted Image

javagurrl

javagurrl

• Seniors
  • 9,837 posts
i use heavy whipping cream in my coffee and i have 3 big mugfuls - i'm putting a good rounded teaspoon or two into each mug

i'll set my timer to test and see where i'm at - i know that coffee raises me - no idea if the oil does

~ Angie ♥

Dx'ed Aug 2012

A1c Aug '12 = 6.5

A1c May '17 = 5.7

No meds

coffee lover

Hooterville

Hooterville

Hey, I like you!

• Seniors
  • 5,941 posts

i use heavy whipping cream in my coffee and i have 3 big mugfuls - i'm putting a good rounded teaspoon or two into each mug

i'll set my timer to test and see where i'm at - i know that coffee raises me - no idea if the oil does

Coffee may raise you. Oil, is, imo, a no. Your liver? That's the problem. Do not assume that a rise in the morning can be totally blamed on what you eat (or don't eat). Remember the beloved liver.

A1c's: 1/11 9.4 ~ 3/11 7.9 ~ 6/11 7.8 ~ 7/11 7.6 ~ 10/11 7.5 ~ 12/11 6.4 ~ 3/12 5.9 ~ 6/12 5.4 ~ 9/12 5.4 ~ 12/12 5.3 ~ 3/13 5.1 ~ 8/13 5.5 ~ 10/13 5.4
Meds: 30 units Lantus - 2,550 mg Metformin
Diet: LCHF ketogenic, 30 to 40 carbs, dabbling in Paleo
Exercise: Lifting, walking, stair climbing
Weight Loss: 100.5 Pounds

She turned her can'ts in to cans and her dreams in to plans.

Posted Image

javagurrl

javagurrl

• Seniors
  • 9,837 posts
ok, this is true - i tend to blame my rises just on what goes in my big mouth - lol

i forget about the pesky liver thang

~ Angie ♥

Dx'ed Aug 2012

A1c Aug '12 = 6.5

A1c May '17 = 5.7

No meds

coffee lover

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 10,817 posts
I find the CO will shut down my DP and prevent a rise later in the morning. But you do need some nutritious food tomstart the day in addition to the coffee and CO.
metformin ER 4x500
Moderate carb diet 75-100 carbs

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, Hemp seeds, biotin,tumeric, Occuvite, chromium , magnesium, calcium and CoQ10

Exercise- Power Walking- 4-5 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 66
110 pounds

Seagal

Seagal

• Seniors
  • 7,568 posts
On days when I don't feel like eating, I go for the coffee, cream & c.o (even when I eat, I still have it)....today I was out by 8 and just got back. Had a h.b. egg and dh is fixing bacon...smells so good. My numbers aren't screaming at me and I wasn't hungry then, so I tend to go with my gut:)

dx 2003

type 2

vlc

livin' life!

andyinardmore

andyinardmore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
All this is intriguing...
Coffee raises you?
Coconut oil shuts down your DP?
What is DP?
I have felt guilty when I don't eat breakfast.
Somedays like today, over 84 degree heat, ( I can take it to 84 after that I have to focus on being nice and not irritable - no AC) all I can manage is coffee with whole milk...
or water with lime...
Andy

Bountyman

Bountyman

Banned

• Banned
  • 5,687 posts
I've found my body tells me when it's time for a refill. If I get hunger pangs...it's hungry and I fuel up. I call it "feed the need"! Calories in...calories out. I also find that if I eat just because I wanna eat...or it's clock time for the family feed bag...it goes straight to my butt.

I think if someone sits in front of the computer all day...their caloric need will probably amount to 1¾ coffees and 4 olives. ;)

Seagal

Seagal

• Seniors
  • 7,568 posts
Coffee increases the cortisol levels in your system, some say caffeine exacerbates it.

DP is Dawn Phenomenon a morning occurrence where the liver dumps glucose (for some), it can sometimes be "halted" by eating something, or in my case having coffee, cream and coconut oil.

Because milk has more carbs, a lot of us use full fat cream.

Hmmmm, Bountyman, my olives go in my evening vodka:)

dx 2003

type 2

vlc

livin' life!

Bountyman

Bountyman

Banned

• Banned
  • 5,687 posts

Hmmmm, Bountyman, my olives go in my evening vodka. :)

You're my kinda date! :top:

apollo322

apollo322

• Seniors
  • 3,371 posts
What a doofy goober question- lmao! I' ve found through numerous days and examples that if I don't eat something for breakfast my liver decides what I need and is full of bad choices. I'm always 20 points higher if I don't eat in the morning. Using the whipped cream is good, maybe you can try some full fat Greek yogurt just to fill you up? If I eat a lot of fat like bacon or yogurt that seems to make my best 2 hour numbers after breakfast.
Diagnosed 4/2012 11.7 a1c Fbg 241
Currently on no meds
8/2012 5.9 A1C
1/2013. 5.8
4/2013 5.7- sensing a pattern here!
8/2013 5.9--ok maybe not!:)
3/17/2014- 5.8, back down the ladder!
Diet-- staying under 50 grams a day of carbs. Not weighing anything mostly rough estimates

Exercise-- 7 days a week but trying to keep it varied. Raquetball, biking, walking with Rocky and now a little lifting

javagurrl

javagurrl

• Seniors
  • 9,837 posts
LOL

normally i have 1/2 cup greek yogurt mid morning as my brekkie and i've been melting coconut oil and adding that to it - was just curious if *just* coffee with the oil/cream would be enough

:D

~ Angie ♥

Dx'ed Aug 2012

A1c Aug '12 = 6.5

A1c May '17 = 5.7

No meds

coffee lover

Bountyman

Bountyman

Banned

• Banned
  • 5,687 posts

...and i've been melting coconut oil and adding that to it - was just curious if *just* coffee with the oil/cream would be enough. :D

I used to have an old '51 Harley-Davidson Panhead that needed a little oil each day. It ran fine. :tomato:

Book Woman

Book Woman

Reading good books!

• Seniors
  • 814 posts
Well, I have been adding coconut oil to my morning coffee for about a week and my morning BG has been lower. Hoping the coconut oil is halting the good old morning dump from the big old liver!

BOOK WOMAN

Dx Type 2 5-15-2013
A1C 6.0 5-15-2014
Began testing 6-12-2013
Metformin 500 mg 2X daily
Levothyroxine 112 mg
Meloxicam 15 mg for arthritis

CARPE DIEM!

javagurrl

javagurrl

• Seniors
  • 9,837 posts
it's an odd thing to get used to, huh? OIL in your coffee - who'd da thunk it?

lol

~ Angie ♥

Dx'ed Aug 2012

A1c Aug '12 = 6.5

A1c May '17 = 5.7

No meds

coffee lover

Book Woman

Book Woman

Reading good books!

• Seniors
  • 814 posts

it's an odd thing to get used to, huh? OIL in your coffee - who'd da thunk it?

lol

I am getting used to the oil in my coffee! And I do like the moisturizing of the lips! No need for Chap Stick! ;)

BOOK WOMAN

Dx Type 2 5-15-2013
A1C 6.0 5-15-2014
Began testing 6-12-2013
Metformin 500 mg 2X daily
Levothyroxine 112 mg
Meloxicam 15 mg for arthritis

CARPE DIEM!

JanetP

JanetP

Cosmic Possum

• Seniors
  • 7,849 posts
Recipe: How to Make Your Coffee Bulletproof…With Butter and MCT Oil

Been reading about his. His coffee is expensive but it seems he has started a fad. For now I'll stick to almond milk and DaVince vanilla syrup (SF, of course). Full fat cream would tear me up (lactose intolerant).

Janet

Those who deny the existence of dragons are frequently eaten by them.

javagurrl

javagurrl

• Seniors
  • 9,837 posts
hmmmm.....interesting - so his oil is better than coconut oil, huh?

pricey stuff

~ Angie ♥

Dx'ed Aug 2012

A1c Aug '12 = 6.5

A1c May '17 = 5.7

No meds

coffee lover

jwags

jwags

• Seniors
  • 10,817 posts
My son got me hooked on the bulletproof coffee. He makes his inmthe magic bullet with melted Kerrygold butter and MCT oil. It gets frothy and the oil is well disbursed.
metformin ER 4x500
Moderate carb diet 75-100 carbs

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, Hemp seeds, biotin,tumeric, Occuvite, chromium , magnesium, calcium and CoQ10

Exercise- Power Walking- 4-5 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 66
110 pounds