Insulin shelf-life in syringe

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

snydermom

snydermom

• Members
  • 221 posts
Hi guys ... not to make you jealous or anything BUT ... I'm supposed to be going on a cruise from Oct 12-19. :D

I'm a total wreck over leaving my own personal "boy wonder" home alone and have been busy busy busy setting up a complete support system with all of the kids. Phone calls, visits, ready made food, showers, no doc appts so far, etc etc.

My question: Can I put his insulin in the syringes for the 7 days I'll be gone? I have NIT idea if there's a difference between In The Bottle and In The Syringe.

Thanks. I'll have a drink for each and every one of you and then never remember a whit about the trip?

Beth. "Goobo"
I can deal with anything if I know what I have to deal with.

snakeye

snakeye

• Members
  • 140 posts
Doesn't sound good really... Both for sterility and precision shots.
I woudn't do that.

lgvincent

lgvincent

• Seniors
  • 4,978 posts
I THINK it might be okay, but you have to worry about some of it leaking out and causing problems with getting the dose exact. I've never really thought about it, though. I'm really not sure. Do you not have someone you could trust with his injections?
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

snydermom

snydermom

• Members
  • 221 posts
It's not a matter of trust. More a matter of having everything possible ready for him. It's kind of hard to move the ENTIRE house to the coffee table? If it's ready, he'll take it on time. If not, it will surely wait til he gathers the energy to go for it.

He's not TOTALLY helpless. :rolleyes: Just hurts so much I spoil him.

This was a feasibility question. If the answer is no, he'll simply have to deal with it.

Thanks. Beth

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,170 posts
Week in a syringe, no problem. My Mom's nurse use to make up a weeks worth of syringes for her every week, and now I do.

Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • 259 posts

Originally posted by snydermom

My question: Can I put his insulin in the syringes for the 7 days I'll be gone? I have NIT idea if there's a difference between In The Bottle and In The Syringe.

Talk to his CDE about this. I think it should be alright for clear insulins but NOT for cloudy ones as the syringe could clog. I don't know what types of insulins your son is on.

Maybe he could get an insulin pen for that week, which will make the doses easier to give?

Good luck figureing it out and have a great trip!

Andrea

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5
If the syringes are kept in the Frig, there should be no problem--especially if you have separate ones loaded for each individual shot--if they are the clear insulin--

if it's the cloudy type, there is no way to move them enough to mix them when the cloudy type is already in a small container(syringe)

Andrea posted:

Maybe he could get an insulin pen for that week, which will make the doses easier to give?

good point, the pen might be easier all the way 'round
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

lgvincent

lgvincent

• Seniors
  • 4,978 posts
Yes, the insulin pen is a good idea, but it's so darn EXPENSIVE. It seems like the last box of Humalog I bought in a pen was around $120.00. True, it's got 15 mL of insulin, but it's still twice the price of a vial.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

snydermom

snydermom

• Members
  • 221 posts
??? Clear and cloudy ???

Ed uses Lantus and it's always supposed to be clear. Plus, I just picked up a new bottle today. Am I missing something?

He only takes one injection a day ... which I why I say he's doing well regarding the dm (hoho - just not the other problems?!). So when you guys talk about cloudy & clear and bolus and carb adjustments etal, I have NIT idea! It took a few months but he stays between 90 & 180. A curse in disguise as he now thinks he can eat more stuff he shouldn't? But I can't fathom what you all have to do everytime you eat!

Personally, I think they thought he'd be DEAD by now! :eek:

The concensus seems to be "clear" Lantus in a syringe for 7 days will be ok.

Andrea - my "son" is my 65 yr old spouse. ;) My son take less care! :rolleyes:

Tony

Tony

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,440 posts
  • LocationRI
  • I am a:Type 1
Apparently your missing the cloudy part.:D

Some Insulins like nph or premixed Insulins are cloudy, white in color. And the vial needs to be rolled to mix the insulin before each use.

??? Clear and cloudy ???

Ed uses Lantus and it's always supposed to be clear. Plus, I just picked up a new bottle today. Am I missing something?

First off we need to know a little math. And some people are not that good with math.:whistling
Everytime I eat, I need to count the carbs in the food and then bolus. Bolus is an insulin pump term. Which means to take insulin for the food we eat. So for very 20 carbs I eat I take 1 unit of Insulin. Now Basal is the background insulin that is delivered thru out the day. Kind of works like lantus.

But I can't fathom what you all have to do everytime you eat!

Tony
Administrator of Diabetesforums.com

"Weeding my way through Diabetes, and taking all of you along for the ride." - archimeech

Belinda

Belinda

• Seniors
  • 2,360 posts
I've left humalog in a syringe for a couple of days to have ready after a particular eye surgery. You can leave the insulin out on the coffee table with the syringes next to them. It being at room temp is fine. I open a new bottle about every two and half weeks and I leave it in the decorative...lol insulin pump container in the bathroom and it is fine.
I am jealous that you are going on a cruise!!!! but do have a good time! Bon Voyage!

Andrea

Andrea

• Members
  • 259 posts

Andrea - my "son" is my 65 yr old spouse. ;) My son take less care! :rolleyes:

Oops, sorry! I was going by your "boy wonder" comment in your first post!

Now that we know that the insulin in question is Lantus too, i don't know if it comes in pens yet. I know that they have been talking about it, but i don't know if the pen is available yet.

I would still see if you can talk to his doctor or certified diabetes educator before you go ahead and preload the lantus syringes. Or phone Aventis directly - they should be able to answer that question specifically for the lantus. Always better be safe than sorry.

Have a great trip.
Andrea

snydermom

snydermom

• Members
  • 221 posts
Thanks all! :) I'll call the Joslin nurse today. Probably should have to begin with but I get more info HERE than from any of the offices! His Lantus IS clear and always at room temp so that's why I think I may get away with this.

Tony - Thanks for the mini-lesson. I basically understood when I'd read about bolus but couldn't figure out the basal.

Andrea - Not to worry!!! "Boy wonder" is one of the nicer things I've called Ed in 20some years ... :whistling

Belinda - DECORATIVE insulin pump container?? Ha! I searched hi & low for a "decorative" denture container a few years back. Maybe we could go into business and get rich?

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5
snydermom,

The Lantus can be pre-loaded into syringes but you will need to keep them in the Frig, or some place cold-- Lantus needs to be stored below 46 F., I believe, been too long since I really read the bottle and instructions
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

Jon

Jon

• New Members
  • 802 posts
I realize that it is too late for this because you are already long gone on your cruise. But I used to pre-mix syringes with Regular and NPH for my son when he would stay with somebody else for the weekend. Back then, he took a standard amount and did not count carbs. Never had any problems with the insulin, but I kept it in the fridge.

snydermom

snydermom

• Members
  • 221 posts
Back (so soon!) and I'd recommend a cruise to anyone! It took about 5 years to save for it but it was worth EVERY penny!

For what it's worth to anyone considering pre-loading Lantus. I filled 8 days worth of syringes and left them at room temp. It worked fine and Ed's numbers for 8 days were between 90 & 142.

Beth.

Shalyndria

Shalyndria

Ex-moderator

• Seniors
  • 1,919 posts
Welcome back! Glad to hear your idea worked out for your hubby! Now where's my souvenir?!? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users