• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Rohini

Rohini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi every one,
I am 25 yrs old and obese. I am a pre-diabetic since last year, and my Bp is 130/80.
My doctor checked my Microalbumin last year and it was 32 ( it should be within 20) and this month i checked in a private lab and it was 35.
I am really worried. is there anyway to reverse microalbumin in urine? since my Bp and blood sugar are always on the normal range how is it possible for me to have microalbumin ? plese help me. share some ideas. It will be of great help.
Thanks in advance

ramon

ramon

• 500 plus
  • 3,101 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
  • I am a:Type 2
Looked at my results and all it gives is the Albumin Lvl not the MicroAlbumin. LOOKS LIKE IT COULD BE KIDNEY RELATED

The Test
How is it used?
When is it ordered?
What does the test result mean?
Is there anything else I should know?
How is it used?
The microalbumin test, also known as a urine albumin test, or microalbumin/creatinine ratio (ACR) is used to screen people with chronic conditions, such as diabetes and hypertension, that put them at an increased risk of developing kidney disease. Studies have shown that identifying the very early stages of kidney disease (microalbuminuria) helps people and doctors adjust treatment. With better control of diabetes and hypertension by maintaining tight glycemic control and reducing blood pressure, the progression of kidney disease can be slowed or prevented.

If significant amounts of albumin are detected with screening tests performed on random, 4-hour or overnight urine samples, they may be repeated and/or confirmed with a 24-hour microalbumin test.

When is it ordered?
The National Kidney Foundation recommends that everyone with diabetes between 12 and 70 years of age have a urine test for albumin at least once a year. According to the American Diabetes Association, everyone with type 1 diabetes should get tested annually, starting 5 years after onset of the disease, and all those with type 2 diabetes should start at the time of diagnosis. If microalbuminuria is detected, it should be confirmed by retesting and, if positive on 2 of 3 determinations over a 3-6 month period, it is considered to be present and appropriate treatment should be given.

People with hypertension may be tested at regular intervals, with the frequency determined by their doctor
What does the test result mean?
Looking for reference ranges?

Moderately increased albumin levels found in both initial and repeat urine tests indicate that a person is likely to be in an early phase of developing kidney disease. Very high levels are an indication that kidney disease is present in a more severe form. Undetectable levels are an indication that kidney function is normal.

The presence of blood in the urine, a urinary tract infection, or an acid-base imbalance can cause false positive microalbumin test results. Testing should be repeated after these conditions have resolved.

^ Back to top
Is there anything else I should know?
Studies have shown that elevated levels of urinary albumin in people with diabetes or hypertension are associated with increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease (CVD), even if those levels are within the normal reference range. More recently, research has been focused on trying to determine if increased levels of albumin in the urine are also indicative of CVD risk in those who do not have diabetes or high blood pressure.

http://labtestsonlin...lbumin/tab/test
CHECK OUT THIS SITE then get in touch with your doctor

NoraWI

NoraWI

• 500 plus
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
  • I am a:Type 1
Yes, get in touch with your doctor and ask questions. But in the meantime, YOU can take steps by changing how you eat. Being 23, obese and beginning to climb the diabetic continuum is a clear call for change in lifestyle. Simply walking more will help. Cut out the typical "sugary" foods. Also start swapping out the starches on your plate for more green veggies. I'll bet that alone will show a big change in weight by the time your doctor's appointment comes around! Might even improve your social life :D.
NoraWI
T1 since 2002, MDI since 2004
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users