- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

1alan1

1alan1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I had an employment physical last week and was told I am pre-diabetic. I bought a tester a few days ago and have been trying it out. I noticed my blood sugar level is good a couple hours after meals, 94 and 109. However my mornings are higher like 119 and 114. I read a bunch of stuff about using insulin, but I don't. I also read to snack just before bed time to lower the morning levels.

So whats the deal with this?

Thanks Alan

ramon

ramon

• 500 plus
  • 3,109 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
  • I am a:Type 2
Hello and welcome to the forum Alan. Morning bg levels are higher due to the liver dumping glucose into your blood at night because you haven't eaten for a few hours and it thinks you are hungry. What works for some is to eat a PROTIEN snack before going to bed and this keeps the liver occupied and stops the dump. Also Known as DAWN PHENONOMIN(SP) Anyway it works for me most of the time but not all the time. Another thing that works for me is a good shot of whiskey and the liver is occupied taking care of this instead of dumping and I get a good nights sleep too. I woke to a 128bg this morning which means I have to restock on the alcohol. BTW good luck on the new job and hope you have good medical insurance. Once getting this disease you will need it. Looking at your numbers though you seem to be in good shape and most likely can avoid any meds by controlling your diet and exercise. Good luck to you. Sorry about the slow response but the forum shows that I read this post even though I haven't.

kayell

kayell

• 500 plus
  • 252 posts
Hi Alan and welcome. I'm a newbie here too. DP is frustrating; I'm working at trying to get mine figured out.

How are you eating and exercising? It seems like a lot of the docs etc don't give much info.

Edited by notme, 02 September 2013 - 07:21 PM.

T2 Getting back on the LC

Seagal

Seagal

• 500 plus
  • 4,723 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
Welcome to the forum, read around and pick up good information, ask any questions you may have.

A lot of times, dawn phenomenon (dp) can happen depending on how late you had your last meal and what the meal consisted of. As Ramon said, having a small snack sometimes helps (bite of cheese, h.b. egg), for me, not eating after 6 pm works, for others snacking works. Since you were pro-active enough to get your meter & strips, testing what works for you will bring an answer.

Edited by notme, 02 September 2013 - 07:22 PM.

Dx. 2003 6.3
2009 - 5.7
2010 - 5.6
2012 - 5.7
2014 - 5.6 (February :)
 )

2014 - 5.9 (September :bawling:
VLC - No Meds

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 7,192 posts
Everyone experiences DP even non diabetics. The difference with diabetics is our pancreases are beginning to become dysfunctional for a variety of reasons. So when we get those liver dumps in the early morning hours our pancreases cannot compensate with enough insulin to prevent a spike. Very rarely do new diabetics need insulin. There are several things that may work

Reduce carbs in diet to reduce glycogen stores
Eat a low carb dinner
Eat a high fat snack before bed
Use metformin
Add exercise after dinner

metformin 2550 mg
Moderate carb diet 40-75 carbs a day
3 T of Coconut Oil daily

Vit D, CoQ10, Melatonin, Multi vitamin, zinc, B 12
Chia Seeds , Flaxseeds, fish oil, biotin, occuvite and zinc

Exercise- Tennis - 2 hours/week, Power Walking- 2-4 miles most days, Hiking in the summer on trails and in the mountains

diagnosed Feb 2007
Age 64

jims_forum

jims_forum

• 500 plus
  • 935 posts

Everyone experiences DP even non diabetics. The difference with diabetics is our pancreases are beginning to become dysfunctional for a variety of reasons. So when we get those liver dumps in the early morning hours our pancreases cannot compensate with enough insulin to prevent a spike. Very rarely do new diabetics need insulin. There are several things that may work

Reduce carbs in diet to reduce glycogen stores
Eat a low carb dinner
Eat a high fat snack before bed
Use metformin
Add exercise after dinner

Some more info:

The liver unfortunately works on inverse of the insulin level. The lower that level , the liver thinks one needs more glucose. This gets worse in early am which usually liver/brain start pounding in extra glucose. If liver has faulty signalling on insulin and/or both insulin levels are very low at that time, one can get an extra hard/excess wakeup glucose add by liver.

Fiddling with food types has not been useful to me.

Generally, for those use pumping as type 2 can schedule extra basil insulin action from pump in early am hours 3:00 am on. Others have done same with manual needles injecting a basil insulin, and for me I use metformin in 2 doses - 500 mg at 10:00pm and 12:00am ( do not combine doses to single dose). That is what I do and my experience, you will need excellent help of expert to guide and help.
James (Jim) W. Snell
30+ years as type 2 diabetic
40 years as Digital Microprocessor System designer
Stroke in 2007 and retired.
Metformin, Humalog Lispro, 1200 calorie Diet and 1.5 to 2 miles walking exercise A1C = 6.4
http://db2jimcaresta.com

1alan1

1alan1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I couldn't find my post, thank Ramon.
I eat loads of rice maybe 5 times a day at home, Asian wife! Actually I don't eat very good. But since this check I have been trying very hard to avoid the starch and sugar and grease as much as possible. Also I want to loose weight too.
My problem now is I work in Afghanistan where most food goes through the deep fat frier! AARGG!!

I also read that different fingers give different results on the tester? I have been using my pinky since it bleeds better than the others????
Suggestions?

I'll read through this tomorrow more if I have time.

Thanks everyone!

jims_forum

jims_forum

• 500 plus
  • 935 posts

I couldn't find my post, thank Ramon.
I eat loads of rice maybe 5 times a day at home, Asian wife! Actually I don't eat very good. But since this check I have been trying very hard to avoid the starch and sugar and grease as much as possible. Also I want to loose weight too.
My problem now is I work in Afghanistan where most food goes through the deep fat frier! AARGG!!

I also read that different fingers give different results on the tester? I have been using my pinky since it bleeds better than the others????
Suggestions?

I'll read through this tomorrow more if I have time.

Thanks everyone!

Rice - boiled puts my BG in the stratosphere. Fry the stuff and my body behaves on controlled amount/serving.
James (Jim) W. Snell
30+ years as type 2 diabetic
40 years as Digital Microprocessor System designer
Stroke in 2007 and retired.
Metformin, Humalog Lispro, 1200 calorie Diet and 1.5 to 2 miles walking exercise A1C = 6.4
http://db2jimcaresta.com

dice22

dice22

• 500 plus
  • 184 posts
As stated you're experiencing DP but for me them #'s are excellent, but I guess everyone's different....BTW I'm a Type II.
http://www.diabetesf...e=1321385465A1c between 5.8%-- & 6.2% ( now 6%) for 11 yrs. . ....On Actoes (30 mg.),Lorastain (80 mg.) for high blood, & 81 mgs. aspirin, 800 mg. Ibuprofen for chronic inflammatory disease trying just to take at bedtime though, Liptor 80mg. once a day (taken at night though) ,plus a 250 mg. anti-botic ( Dr. changes every 4 month) & 125 mg. Bethachol (75mg. in the morning & 50 mg. in the eve) ..... - Cheryl:D:)

Bountyman

Bountyman

SeƱor Member

• 500 plus
  • 5,146 posts
  • Location95965
Honestly, if you're usually idling in the 94 to 109 mg/dL range...don't worry about a 114 to 119 mg/dL test in the morning. It's quite temporary and for someone who's pre-diabetic...it's much ado about nothing.

1alan1

1alan1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Bountyman, Yeah its the Army standards so I wasn't sure about that. I did see a private company that did the screening and she said I was pre-diabetic and get it under control right now.
So I felt a bit of urgency to figure this out. I really want to live long enough to get some of my SS back! HA!
This morning I switched to my index finger and got a 102. The food selection is horrible here so I end up eating thing I shouldn't. Everything is shipped in so lots of frozen and canned.

Thanks everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users