• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

GAgirl

GAgirl

Thankful DF Senior Member

• 500 plus
  • 3,413 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
How's about using this thread to post all your best Diabetic friendly Thanksgiving day recipes ? Please post so we can have it all in one place. Thanks in advance.

T-2 

(Dx'd 6/24/13...6.8 A1-C / fbg 130) 1 year as T2

Current A1c- 5.8...still

2 Metformin 500mgs-1@ lunch & 1@ supper 

Battling Candida through weekly immunotherapy shots, probiotics, and anti-fungal supplements!

Thankful I learned here about LCHF diet & practicing since mid July '13 

food-and-drinks-cooking-993355.gif "You Eat What I Serve You!" LCHF!

jims_forum

jims_forum

• 500 plus
  • 912 posts

How's about using this thread to post all your best Diabetic friendly Thanksgiving day recipes ? Please post so we can have it all in one place. Thanks in advance.

Excellent plan and look forward to the excellent recipes that you all test out and cook.
James (Jim) W. Snell
30+ years as type 2 diabetic
40 years as Digital Microprocessor System designer
Stroke in 2007 and retired.
Metformin, Humalog Lispro, 1200 calorie Diet and 1.5 to 2 miles walking exercise A1C = 6.4
http://db2jimcaresta.com

uttercaro

uttercaro

• 500 plus
  • 582 posts
Okay, because I just made this and it was fabulous, I'm posting Angie's (javagurrl's) pumpkin cheesecake recipe. I've gone ahead and incorporated her modifications into the original recipe, which was linked over in the "don't worry ~ i got this" thread.

Angie's Pumpkin Cheesecake

Crust:
2 cups almond flour
2 Tbsp Splenda
2 Tbsp stevia
1 tsp cinnamon
1 stick butter, melted

Mix together in small bowl and follow baking instructions below.

Filling:
3 8-oz packages cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese. softened
1 cup granulated sugar substitute (if you use erythritol, make sure it is powdered)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 Tbsps pumpkin pie spice
3 eggs
1/4 cup half & half or cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9" springform pan with non-stick spray then spread the crust evenly on the bottom and 1" up the sides of the pan. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. If the crust pulls away from the sides of the pan, push it back gently with the back of a spoon. For the filling, beat the cream cheese, pumpkin, spice, sweetener and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs and half & half or cream; beat until combined. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake for 45-65 minutes or until it appears set when shaken. Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Remove the sides of the springform pan and cool completely. Chill for 3-4 hours before slicing. Top with whipped cream if desired.

Caro

A1c 7/2013 (dx): 10.9; 12/2013: 5.7
Metformin ER 1000 mg 2x/day, Lantus 25u 1x/day (also on other unrelated meds)
Currently struggling with the need to pursue LCHF diet and daily exercise

Seagal

Seagal

• 500 plus
  • 4,647 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
Here is one even the non-D & non-low-carbers really liked.

This recipe is from KarenD on Dr. Bernstein’s forum
If you can't handle berries, you can make the top layer with just the jello and omit the berries.

1) Raspberry Delight (Low Carb Version)
(My comments are at the end in asterisks, all others by KarenD)

Crust:

1 1/2 to 2 c almond meal (ground almonds), depending on the size of your springform pan.* (I always use 2 cups for a 10-inch pan - I find that 1 1/2 cups just isn't enough.)

6 or 7 tbsp melted butter or enough to make the almond meal stick together.

Mix thoroughly. Pat into the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch springform pan and bake at 300 F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Put in fridge to cool while you continue with the next layer.

Filling:

12 oz (1 1/2 packages) cream cheese, softened in microwave
3/4 c Splenda (I just used 1/2 cup)**
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used 2 tsp because I like lots of vanilla)
1/4 tsp salt
2 c of whipped cream

***In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, Splenda, vanilla, and salt until smooth. (Just a fork is fine - you don't need to use a beater.) Fold in whipped cream. Spread over crust and refrigerate until topping is ready.

Topping:

2 packages sugar-free raspberry Jello
2 c boiling water
2 10-oz packages of unsweetened frozen raspberries (I couldn't find this size of unsweetened berries; I used 1 1/2 packages of Western Family frozen unsweetened raspberries. I don't recommend using fresh berries because then the amount of water would be off.)

Dissolve jello in boiling water; stir in raspberries. Chill for a few minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. (I found that it thickened very quickly because the berries were frozen when I added them.) Spread over filling. Refrigerate until set, preferably overnight.

*I didn’t have a spring form pan, used a 10” cake pan. Some may want a bit of sweetner, the filling & topping made it sweet enough for us.
** Any sweetner of choice….I used a liquid Splenda
*** I used a mixer and beat it smooth.

2) Here is a cookie recipe that can be made however "holiday" you would like:

This is from Marty . I added chopped walnuts, others added shredded chocolate (Bakers unsweetened) & unsweetened coconut. After rolling into balls, I crosshatched (with a fork dipped in cinnamon mixture). Each ball made a good size cookie. I found I didn’t need to refrigerate before I rolled into balls, I didn’t use a food processor.

ALMOND COOKIES

1-1/2 cups almond flour
3/4 cups of Erythitol (or baking sweetner of choice)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup of coconut oil (melted)
1/2 tsp of vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
cinnamon
1 egg

Mix up 1 egg, 1/2 cup coconut oil, erythitol, baking soda, then add cream of tartar, salt, vanilla, finally the almond flour. The dough was a little sticky but formed a ball in my food processor.

Refrigerated for several minutes until I could form a ball about walnut size. Rolled the walnut sized ball in a mix of erythitol and cinnamon, baked at 400 for 9-10 minutes. Cookies are really soft when they come out, but quickly harden when cooled, don‘t try to remove from pan until cool or they will break up.

I think I will reduce the sweetner next time and probably use only cinnamon to “fork/crosshatch” the round balls.

3) Here is another desert:

Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
The recipe came with some kind of chocolate garnish, but it doesn't need it.

BLACK FOREST CHERRY CREAM CHEESECAKE MUFFINS

Ingredients:
1 cup cola beverage (I used Coke Cherry Zero to compliment the cherry Jell-O)
1 small pkg sugar-free cherry Jell-O
16 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
1 teaspoon almond flavoring
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted

Method:
Pour cola in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour over Jell-O in medium mixing bowl. Stir until Jell-o is dissolved. Add cream cheese to dissolved Jell-O. Add melted chocolate and almond flavoring. Beat well with electric mixer for 2 minutes on medium speed. Spoon into 12 muffin cups that have been lined with cupcake liners. Chill for 2-3 hours or until firm.

Makes 12 muffins, 2 carbs each (without garnish)!

Edited by Seagal, 19 October 2013 - 08:18 AM.

Dx. 2003 6.3
2009 - 5.7
2010 - 5.6
2012 - 5.7
2014 - 5.6 (February :)
 )

2014 - 5.9 (September :bawling:
VLC - No Meds

Dlife619

Dlife619

• 500 plus
  • 435 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • I am a:Type 1
Pumpkin pie sweet potatoes: just cube some sweet potatoes, coat in olive oil, then shake on a dash of cinnamon and a dash of pumpkin pie spice to taste, then roast in the oven at 350 for 1hour. Eat them cubed or mash them... Very tasty, 6g carbs per 1oz.

GAgirl

GAgirl

• 500 plus
  • 3,413 posts

1 cup pumpkin puree

Is that the same as the Libby's pumpkin in a can?

T-2 

Current A1c- 5.8...still

Battling Candida through weekly immunotherapy shots, probiotics, and anti-fungal supplements!

GAgirl

GAgirl

• 500 plus
  • 3,413 posts
Ok, now I am getting excited! This is great, keep 'em coming!

T-2 

Current A1c- 5.8...still

MsMarginalized

MsMarginalized

• 500 plus
  • 2,138 posts

Is that the same as the Libby's pumpkin in a can?

Yep, just make sure you don't grab the "pumpkin pie filling" in a can (that has their mix of spices etc in it)

Diana

I'm a T2 also diagnosed with Celiac Disease &

Aspergers Disorder.

April 2014 A1c= 5.5 :dancing:

javagurrl

javagurrl

coffee be da bomb diggity

• 500 plus
  • 5,323 posts
  • LocationUnited States
caro! so glad you liked it!! soooo good, right?!

----------------------------

Life's too short for bad coffee

~ Angie

coffee lover.jpg

uttercaro

uttercaro

• 500 plus
  • 582 posts

caro! so glad you liked it!! soooo good, right?!

It's scrumptious any way you look at it -- and the fact that I can eat a whole piece (not a sliver by any means) without spiking out of my target range makes it even sweeter. Thanks again for sharing it, chica.

Caro

samuraiguy

samuraiguy

• 500 plus
  • 1,264 posts
I just do the Libby's Pumpkin pie recipe using an almond meal crust substituting Splenda and egg substitute then adding 2 tablespoons cup almond milk to offset the "starchiness" of the Splenda.

For apple pie I just add a crumble made from almond flour, Splenda, margarine and chopped pecans on top using Splenda to also sweeten the apples adding just 1/4 cup natural apple sauce to offset Splenda's starchiness.

I love mashed cauliflower made stiffer by adding just 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes and 1/4 cup cream cheese.

I use low carb bread, turkey sausage, chicken broth, water chestnuts and celery to make my own stuffing.

Low Carb Fudge

1/4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (2 squares)
¼ cup Splenda (or sweetener of choice)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces cream cheese, softened (not fat free)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:

Melt butter over low heat.

Add chocolate and stir until melted.

Remove from heat and stir in sweetener and vanilla.

Combine the chocolate mixture with the cream cheese and beat until smooth.

Stir in nuts and spread in lightly greased 8-inch square pan.

Refrigerate until firm.
  • GAgirl likes this

Dx T2 12/21/10 A1C 7.3 Random 278
Lost 175 pounds walking 10k steps per day and eating according to the DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution.
Diet and exercise, no meds.

7/8/13 A1C 5.3 FBG 85
10/7/13 A1C 5.3 :D FBG 87
1/8/14 A1C 5.4 (expected Holiday bump) :)

8/5/14 A1C 5.7  :huh:  Not sure why this happened, hoping to lower by November.

Goal: keep my A1C under 5.7.

uttercaro

uttercaro

• 500 plus
  • 582 posts

Low Carb Fudge

I calculated the carbs for this recipe. Based on using Splenda and pecans for the nuts, it works out to just under 60g per pan, or <5g carbs per piece if cut into 12 pieces. Sounds good to me!

Caro

jims_forum

jims_forum

• 500 plus
  • 912 posts

I just do the Libby's Pumpkin pie recipe using an almond meal crust substituting Splenda and egg substitute then adding 2 tablespoons cup almond milk to offset the "starchiness" of the Splenda.

For apple pie I just add a crumble made from almond flour, Splenda, margarine and chopped pecans on top using Splenda to also sweeten the apples adding just 1/4 cup natural apple sauce to offset Splenda's starchiness.

I love mashed cauliflower made stiffer by adding just 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes and 1/4 cup cream cheese.

I use low carb bread, turkey sausage, chicken broth, water chestnuts and celery to make my own stuffing.

Low Carb Fudge

1/4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (2 squares)
¼ cup Splenda (or sweetener of choice)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces cream cheese, softened (not fat free)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:

Melt butter over low heat.

Add chocolate and stir until melted.

Remove from heat and stir in sweetener and vanilla.

Combine the chocolate mixture with the cream cheese and beat until smooth.

Stir in nuts and spread in lightly greased 8-inch square pan.

Refrigerate until firm.

Neat - will have to try - looks great.
Thank you.
James (Jim) W. Snell
Metformin, Humalog Lispro, 1200 calorie Diet and 1.5 to 2 miles walking exercise A1C = 6.4

jims_forum

jims_forum

• 500 plus
  • 912 posts

Found these today...Low Carb Holiday Cut-Out Sf Sugar Cookies
Will have to try them.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins LC & Gluten free
This sounds good, too!

Those also look incredible and amazing as well. Thank you all.
James (Jim) W. Snell

jims_forum

jims_forum

• 500 plus
  • 912 posts

Okay, because I just made this and it was fabulous, I'm posting Angie's (javagurrl's) pumpkin cheesecake recipe. I've gone ahead and incorporated her modifications into the original recipe, which was linked over in the "don't worry ~ i got this" thread.

Angie's Pumpkin Cheesecake

Crust:
2 cups almond flour
2 Tbsp Splenda
2 Tbsp stevia
1 tsp cinnamon
1 stick butter, melted

Mix together in small bowl and follow baking instructions below.

Filling:
3 8-oz packages cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese. softened
1 cup granulated sugar substitute (if you use erythritol, make sure it is powdered)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 Tbsps pumpkin pie spice
3 eggs
1/4 cup half & half or cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9" springform pan with non-stick spray then spread the crust evenly on the bottom and 1" up the sides of the pan. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. If the crust pulls away from the sides of the pan, push it back gently with the back of a spoon. For the filling, beat the cream cheese, pumpkin, spice, sweetener and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs and half & half or cream; beat until combined. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake for 45-65 minutes or until it appears set when shaken. Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Remove the sides of the springform pan and cool completely. Chill for 3-4 hours before slicing. Top with whipped cream if desired.

Caro

Javagurl/Angie and Uttercaro:

Great and thank you. I am glad we have such a great testing kitchens and mods and tweaks worked in here by our experts!
Thank you!
James (Jim) W. Snell

jims_forum

jims_forum

• 500 plus
  • 912 posts

Here is one even the non-D & non-low-carbers really liked.

This recipe is from KarenD on Dr. Bernstein’s forum
If you can't handle berries, you can make the top layer with just the jello and omit the berries.

1) Raspberry Delight (Low Carb Version)
(My comments are at the end in asterisks, all others by KarenD)

Crust:

1 1/2 to 2 c almond meal (ground almonds), depending on the size of your springform pan.* (I always use 2 cups for a 10-inch pan - I find that 1 1/2 cups just isn't enough.)

6 or 7 tbsp melted butter or enough to make the almond meal stick together.

Mix thoroughly. Pat into the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch springform pan and bake at 300 F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Put in fridge to cool while you continue with the next layer.

Filling:

12 oz (1 1/2 packages) cream cheese, softened in microwave
3/4 c Splenda (I just used 1/2 cup)**
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used 2 tsp because I like lots of vanilla)
1/4 tsp salt
2 c of whipped cream

***In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, Splenda, vanilla, and salt until smooth. (Just a fork is fine - you don't need to use a beater.) Fold in whipped cream. Spread over crust and refrigerate until topping is ready.

Topping:

2 packages sugar-free raspberry Jello
2 c boiling water
2 10-oz packages of unsweetened frozen raspberries (I couldn't find this size of unsweetened berries; I used 1 1/2 packages of Western Family frozen unsweetened raspberries. I don't recommend using fresh berries because then the amount of water would be off.)

Dissolve jello in boiling water; stir in raspberries. Chill for a few minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. (I found that it thickened very quickly because the berries were frozen when I added them.) Spread over filling. Refrigerate until set, preferably overnight.

*I didn’t have a spring form pan, used a 10” cake pan. Some may want a bit of sweetner, the filling & topping made it sweet enough for us.
** Any sweetner of choice….I used a liquid Splenda
*** I used a mixer and beat it smooth.

2) Here is a cookie recipe that can be made however "holiday" you would like:

This is from Marty . I added chopped walnuts, others added shredded chocolate (Bakers unsweetened) & unsweetened coconut. After rolling into balls, I crosshatched (with a fork dipped in cinnamon mixture). Each ball made a good size cookie. I found I didn’t need to refrigerate before I rolled into balls, I didn’t use a food processor.

ALMOND COOKIES

1-1/2 cups almond flour
3/4 cups of Erythitol (or baking sweetner of choice)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup of coconut oil (melted)
1/2 tsp of vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
cinnamon
1 egg

Mix up 1 egg, 1/2 cup coconut oil, erythitol, baking soda, then add cream of tartar, salt, vanilla, finally the almond flour. The dough was a little sticky but formed a ball in my food processor.

Refrigerated for several minutes until I could form a ball about walnut size. Rolled the walnut sized ball in a mix of erythitol and cinnamon, baked at 400 for 9-10 minutes. Cookies are really soft when they come out, but quickly harden when cooled, don‘t try to remove from pan until cool or they will break up.

I think I will reduce the sweetner next time and probably use only cinnamon to “fork/crosshatch” the round balls.

3) Here is another desert:

Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
The recipe came with some kind of chocolate garnish, but it doesn't need it.

BLACK FOREST CHERRY CREAM CHEESECAKE MUFFINS

Ingredients:
1 cup cola beverage (I used Coke Cherry Zero to compliment the cherry Jell-O)
1 small pkg sugar-free cherry Jell-O
16 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
1 teaspoon almond flavoring
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted

Method:
Pour cola in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour over Jell-O in medium mixing bowl. Stir until Jell-o is dissolved. Add cream cheese to dissolved Jell-O. Add melted chocolate and almond flavoring. Beat well with electric mixer for 2 minutes on medium speed. Spoon into 12 muffin cups that have been lined with cupcake liners. Chill for 2-3 hours or until firm.

Makes 12 muffins, 2 carbs each (without garnish)!

Holy Mackeral:

Hard to know where to start. Great and thank you!
James (Jim) W. Snell

kmac

kmac

• 500 plus
  • 413 posts
Low Carb Pumpkin Pie: Our Thanksgiving has already happened but I will share a recipe I have made successfully other years. This year I got the ingredients but did not make it. I still can though. I have made this pie with the pecan crust and it was great and I have also baked the filling without a crust and it make a nice dessert in ramekins.
I am sure I got this recipe online somewhere and apologies to the website because I cannot recall l where.

Pumpkin Pie Filling

1 15 oz can pumpkin
2 eggs
2/3 cup unsweetened soy milk (or milk or cream - milk has more carbs, so adjust)
1/3 cup cream
1 C sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener
1 teaspoon dark molasses (optional)
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 scant teaspoon t nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch cloves
1/4 t salt
Preparation:
As an artificial sweetener, I prefer a form of liquid sucralose, as powdered types have more carbs and sometimes an off-taste.

1) Preheat oven to 425 F. (important)

2) Dump all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and whirl to blend.

3) Pour into the crust.

4) Put the pie in the oven and immediately turn the oven down to 375 F. In 15 minutes, turn the oven down to 300 F. (This cooks the crust, so it isn't soggy, but then allows the custard to bake more slowly.) Bake until almost set in the middle, about 30 to 40 minutes more. If it starts to crack a bit around the edges, it's probably done.

Nutritional Analysis: 8 servings, without crust: 3.5 grams effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber, 3 grams protein, 5.5 grams fat, 80 calories.

With pecan crust, each serving is 4 grams effective carbohydrate with 3.4 grams fiber

Pecan Pie Crust

This is a great pie crust, particularly for pumpkin pie, but it can be used for other custard/pudding fillings. It really helps to start out with pecans from the freezer, because then the butter blends through but quickly sets up so the "mass" is pliable.
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Ingredients:
1 cup pecan pieces (frozen)
2 T melted butter
2 T sugar equivalent from artificial sweetener of your choice
Preparation:
1. Take pecans out of the freezer and measure them into a food processor (you can use a blender, but be careful not to blend them down too small). Pulse the processor until the largest pieces are as big as lentils or split peas.

2. Add the butter and the sweetener (I prefer ”liquid Splenda”). Blend until it's mixed evenly and then quickly

3. Dump it into a pie pan, and push with your fingers to cover the bottom and sides. It should be the right consistency to mold the crust to the pie pan evenly.

*Preferences above are from the author of the recipe. I DID use liquid sweetener when I made it however so do not know if Splenda powdered would work as well.

samuraiguy

samuraiguy

• 500 plus
  • 1,264 posts

Found these today...Low Carb Holiday Cut-Out Sf Sugar Cookies
Will have to try them.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins LC & Gluten free
This sounds good, too!

Thank you for the post, been looking for a LC frosting I could try.

Dx T2 12/21/10 A1C 7.3 Random 278
Lost 175 pounds walking 10k steps per day and eating according to the DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution.
Diet and exercise, no meds.

7/8/13 A1C 5.3 FBG 85
10/7/13 A1C 5.3 :D FBG 87
1/8/14 A1C 5.4 (expected Holiday bump) :)

8/5/14 A1C 5.7  :huh:  Not sure why this happened, hoping to lower by November.

Goal: keep my A1C under 5.7.

adiantum

adiantum

• 500 plus
  • 4,602 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
I recently made a frosting with mixing philly cream cheese, strawberries & sweetener to taste

Thank you for the post, been looking for a LC frosting I could try.

med free since dx type2 Dec07

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,000 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
Spinach Maria (I've made this for many years, even before diagnosis. Everyone loves it)

1 boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed (squeeze out any excess water)
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp butter
8 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)

Saute onions in butter until soft, add cream cheese and cayenne pepper, allow to melt, mix well, add spinach, stir and add Parm. cheese, mix well. Pour into greased casserole dish, bake @350 x 30 minutes until just lightly browned around edges. Remove from oven, sprinkle 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese on top and cover with foil until cheese is melted).

I usually double this recipe for our large family gathering. Cheese on top is optional, but it makes it look really good. Ironically, I don't like cooked spinach, so I never eat this.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users