Can a diabetic be an organ donor?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
I know I can't donate a kidney while alive, but I'm curious to know if I can become an organ donor once I have passed into the great beyond?
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

rzrbks

rzrbks

• 500 plus
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5
Well, it all depends, do you mean a Yamaha, a Hammond or a Korg?

Personally, I would go with the Hammond:D

On the topic at hand, I would suspicion that any of your organs that haven't been damaged would be gladly accepted--I am/ was one before I was diagnosed and I have changed it since

Got an appointment today 10/10/03, I'll ask the Dr., was gonna ask about plasma donation anyway--good way to offset the cost of my supplies if it is Ok.;)
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
And I thought I had a warped sense of humor! It would appear I'm not the only one!
Brandy
My Little Princess

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
(you)

rzrbks

rzrbks

• 500 plus
  • 4,673 posts
(in his best Foghorn Leghorn accent, and with a deep sweeping bow)

"Why, thank you, Suh."

Frodo to Samwise

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
I like Foghorn Leghorn, although Yosemite Sam is my favorite because he's such an excitable boy! I had an opportunity to meet Mel Blanc once and I was going to ask him to do Yosemite Sam but he said Sam's voice was really hard to do and he didn't like doing it before I even asked him so I didn't get to hear Sam live and in person after all. He did a few of the other characters though, especially the "big guy" (can you guess who?).
Brandy
My Little Princess

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
(you)

rzrbks

rzrbks

• 500 plus
  • 4,673 posts
Just got back from the Dr., according to him there is no reason why you can't be a donor unless there is damage from Diabetes--

"Diabetics frequently have trouble with their kidneys as part of their Diabetes, but if there is no damage, there is no medical reason why they can't donate their organs."

there ya go Mr. Vincent

by the way my sense of humor is quite normal, thank you, it's everyone else's that's messed up:rolleyes:

Frodo to Samwise

Belinda

Belinda

• 500 plus
  • 2,360 posts
I was told that you can donate them to research and not for much else. As for giving blood a diabectic can donate with a note from the Dr. and only if all is well (got this info from a friend who is the Director of Medic here in town)

Komadori

Komadori

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
So even if you get your diabetes under control, you can't donate a kidney? The reason I ask is that I just found out my older brother has damaged kidneys, due to the medication he'd been put on. We both have diabetes, but he hasn't kept his in check very well. I was just diagnosed with mine a few months ago, and I'm doing better, but I need to lose weight. So, even if I dropped the pounds and had my diabetes under control, would I still be unable to donate my kidney to help my brother?

Bountyman

Bountyman

SeƱor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,627 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
I'm sure there are tests that can tell the viability of your kidneys. Empirical evidence far outweighs speculation.

And good onya for offering up an organ. That's a true brother.

'Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.'
-Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, 400 BC

adiantum

adiantum

• 500 plus
  • 4,262 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
The D E was keen to push all in her class to offer to become donors & be sure it was on our licenses. This concerned me as I was sure she expected us to drop dead soon with D .
I laughed & said my skin would probably be the only part in good order by then, but anyone is welcome to it. She obviously thought our organs could still be of value.
Dx Dec 07 Type2
Control...nutrition & exercise

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,612 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1
Well no matter how tight is your control I would doubt it would be taken for the simple reason that we are Diabetic. I would be very surprised if it was used for transplant. :confused::confused::confused:

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

don1942

don1942

• 500 plus
  • 574 posts
Saw on the news tonight that a Philadelphia women was refused a leave of absence in order to donate one of her kidneys to her son. She took time off anyway and when she returned to work after recuperation,she was fired.
Diag T2 1993
Started Minimed 03/12/10 CGMS 4/29/10
Symlin as needed
Metformin 1000mg x 2
Pravastatin 40mg x 1
Zetia 10mg x 1
Vitamin B, C, D, E, Fish Oil

Moonpie

Moonpie

• 500 plus
  • 3,895 posts
If the organs are damaged, they can still use the skin & bones ( vertebrae ) I am a donor on my license, however, I plan to wear them out before I go. (plan on living alot longer)

As far as donating to a family member, I think that should be discussed with the Dr, & also the family member that needs one, ought to step up & start managing his D better.
09/15/2009 DX
A1C Sept 2009 7.7 . March 2012 5.2
A1C Nov 2009 6.4 July 2012 5.4
A1C 01/15/2010 5.6 12/12 5.4
A1c May 2010 5.6
A1c July ( 10 weeks no meds) 5.9
A1c Dec 2010 5.6 no meds since May :)
A1c March 2011 5.7
A1C Aug 2011 5.5
A1C Dec 2011 5.2
came off Metformin 500mg on 05/11/2010 to control with diet & exercise.
Previously 50 to 100 carbs now I try to limit it to under 50 per day.

Jan B

Jan B

• 500 plus
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

I laughed & said my skin would probably be the only part in good order by then, but anyone is welcome to it. She obviously thought our organs could still be of value.

Hi Lee -- actually skin is very much needed for burn victims. Skinned alive - no; skinned dead - why not?! I was recently surprised to learn we can also donate blood IF the A1c is good (not sure of the number) and we have never taken animal insulins! (Takes me out because of the animal insulin.)
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

adiantum

adiantum

• 500 plus
  • 4,262 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Hi Jan, Yes, I knew that having seen a burns victim requiring several skin grafts.

Hi Lee -- actually skin is very much needed for burn victims. Skinned alive - no; skinned dead - why not?! I was recently surprised to learn we can also donate blood IF the A1c is good (not sure of the number) and we have never taken animal insulins! (Takes me out because of the animal insulin.)

Dx Dec 07 Type2
Control...nutrition & exercise

JDCA2025

JDCA2025

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
Just go for it unless someone stops you. I'm not quite sure about it myself (I'm a registered organ donor, yet have never been in the position to give one yet), but I doubt if your organs are good they'll care. Most of the time hospitals are in dire need of blood and transplantable tissue.

Cora

Cora

• 500 plus
  • 575 posts
I suspect that some organs will be more questionable than others. But I do know that as an organ recipient I was given details of the donors and it was up to me to accept or reject the donation. If someone needs a heart desperately, I suspect that it won't matter too much to them if you've had diabetes but no coronary disease. Also, some potential donations like corneas are not likely to be too affected by diabetes.

Cora
dx T1 1966
Kidney transplant 2002
Pumping 2002-2008
Pancreas transplant 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users